Quantum of The Seas Balcony issues?

Hi all- 

I wanted to preface this by saying we had a fantastic time with the staff and loved our room on QOTS, but we did notice some things I’d consider “gross” in our balcony room. We usually cruise NCL and have never had issues like this on our balcony so just wanted to put some feelers out there on if this is “normal” or not 

1- rust everywhere, not painted or maintained 

2- chipped paint on the walls and ceiling 

3- mold in the shower 

4- our chairs are zip tied in the laying back position, you can’t sit up and then we realized it’s because they’re broken 

5- there’s a weird yellow stain on the bathroom floor? In multiple places 

I’m not looking for anything other than feedback or if this is worth bringing up to the front desk.  

IMG_5478.thumb.jpeg.44b250a62451b5ebc44a014ddb7e5614.jpeg

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

Just now, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

3- mold in the shower 

4- our chairs are zip tied in the laying back position, you can’t sit up and then we realized it’s because they’re broken 

....or if this is worth bringing up to the front desk.  

Yes

The zip ties on chairs is a new thing royal is doing on all or most ships.

The chipped paint and rust definitely needs their attention.   They do a lot of painting while docked.   

Any signs of painting being done on your sailing?

The mold and yellow stains in bathroom is something I would mention to guest services, ask for hotel director.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The zip ties on chairs is a new thing royal is doing on all or most ships.

The chipped paint and rust definitely needs their attention.   They do a lot of painting while docked.   

Any signs of painting being done on your sailing?

The mold and yellow stains in bathroom is something I would mention to guest services, ask for hotel director.

Painting while sailing no- we did have “balcony maintenance” on our cruise but none of these issues were fixed. I don’t want to cause harm to my room steward but it’s pretty gnarly! I don’t think rust and paint is his fault though and the mold looks new. Guest Services line is crazy so I might just send an email. I’m not looking for credit or anything just would like to provide my feedback to them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Hi all- 

I wanted to preface this by saying we had a fantastic time with the staff and loved our room on QOTS, but we did notice some things I’d consider “gross” in our balcony room. We usually cruise NCL and have never had issues like this on our balcony so just wanted to put some feelers out there on if this is “normal” or not 

3- mold in the shower 

I’m not looking for anything other than feedback or if this is worth bringing up to the front desk.  

Seems like you’re looking for something to complain about.

Telling the front desk that the entire ship needs a paint job has no, zero, nada value. And they aren’t going to paint your balcony, just for you. 

So other than getting yourself all worked up, there is nothing you will get out of complaining (other than an eye roll or two). 

BTW: We were on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and had lots of chipped paint and rust on our balcony. 
Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Telling the front desk that the entire ship needs a paint job has no, zero, nada value. And they aren’t going to paint your balcony, just for you. 

So other than getting yourself all worked up, there is nothing you will get out of complaining (other than an eye roll or two). 

Seems like you’re just picking a fight- I’ve seen you on here a bunch and I don’t know if you read anything other than the original post but I’m not reporting to the desk. I’ve cruised NCL 7 times and have never seen this level of rust/ issues and was just curious if this is how Royal is. It did not “ruin my cruise” or cause major issues. I just find it surprising that this is the status of my room. I’m allowed to ask a question on here and gather more information. I didn’t report to the desk as it’s just a zoo down there and I really don’t think there’s an issue politely informing the guest services if I did. 

no where did I demand that they’d “paint my balcony” or anything of the sort. You’re ridiculous for jumping to that conclusion that I’d request that or demand it. There’s hundreds of balconies on this ship- as there are on others but this one was just covered in rust and chipped paint, giving them a notice that this room might need some extra TLC before the next cruise is not an issue. Not everyone is starting a hellfire, and I most certainly am not for asking about this. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

It’s our last day- so I don’t want to harm our room attendant I don’t believe all of this is on him, I’ll try and separate the two but it’s pretty beat up. Thank you for the feedback! 

This attitude (understandable, BTW) is why things don't get fixed.  If people don't report issues, they won't get fixed, and the next passenger will have the same issues.

Mold issues should definitely be reported.  Did you mention the mold and stains to the cabin attendant?   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

BTW: We were on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and had lots of chipped paint and rust on our balcony. 

BTW my parents had a balcony on the Encore and had nothing of the sorts 

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

This attitude (understandable, BTW) is why things don't get fixed.  If people don't report issues, they won't get fixed, and the next passenger will have the same issues.

Mold issues should definitely be reported.  Did you mention the mold and stains to the cabin attendant?   

He is so overworked we barely see him unfortunately- we noticed the mold yesterday, and haven’t seen him today. If I do I will let him know, otherwise I will be sending an email as it’s just a bit too crazy on the ship for me to wait in a line past the “corralled” line. Like I said above I’m not looking for anything other than to compare information and I’ll try my best to inform. You are right though, if nothing is said it won’t be fixed. Thank you for that! I don’t care about my sailing but for the next people and the long term maintenance of the ship I think that amount of rust is important! 

5 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Hi all- 

3- mold in the shower 

IMG_5478.thumb.jpeg.44b250a62451b5ebc44a014ddb7e5614.jpeg

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

Those last 2 photo's actually look like they are being prepped for paining. They look as if they have been scraped to remove the rust and bubbling paint,  No excuse for some of the other issues though

Edited by Ken at the beach

6 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

It’s our last day- so I don’t want to harm our room attendant I don’t believe all of this is on him, I’ll try and separate the two but it’s pretty beat up. Thank you for the feedback! 

However, the ship needs to know to address the issue.  Sorry for you.  You should have told them on day one. 

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Why? I would sure remove them!

Supposedly a safety issues to prevent people reclining into the glass doors.   I read on other threads that celebrity had removed loungers on balconies but then brought them back with same zip ties.  Not sure what status is right now with Celebrity but Royal started doing this sometime this summer. 

4 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

He is so overworked we barely see him unfortunately- we noticed the mold yesterday, and haven’t seen him today. If I do I will let him know, otherwise I will be sending an email as it’s just a bit too crazy on the ship for me to wait in a line past the “corralled” line. Like I said above I’m not looking for anything other than to compare information and I’ll try my best to inform. You are right though, if nothing is said it won’t be fixed. Thank you for that! I don’t care about my sailing but for the next people and the long term maintenance of the ship I think that amount of rust is important! 

I imagine ships take a beating on Alaskan cruises.  

It is very common to see crew cleaning up rust and painting in warm climates when at port.

Temps and weather in AK may not allow them to maintain rust right now.

As far as the bathroom, that should not be in that condition.

4 hours ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

BTW my parents had a balcony on the Encore and had nothing of the sorts 

Because they were not looking for something to complain about. I am a Diamond NCL member and a Diamond RCCL member and a Diamond MSC member. We sail 5-7 times a year. And have sailed on the Encore twice this year, once 2 weeks ago in a Club Balcony Suite with lots of peeling paint and rust.  

Encore August 2024 (I didn't specifically take pictures of rust or peeling paint, but this was an example in the background of one of my photos.)

image.png.13fdbf6bde1e90eacd2721c1ba949dee.png

This is our balcony on the Quantum last year. It was in pretty good shape.

image.thumb.png.e8ed7d64ddcbc0759107031aa70ca1d9.png

image.png.ef77520899462214b4077c3083546819.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because they were not looking for something to complain about, like others. I am a Diamond NCL member and a Diamond RCCL member and a Diamond MSC member. We sail 5-7 times a year. And have sailed on the Encore twice this year, once 2 weeks ago in a Club Balcony Suite with lots of chipped paint and rust.  

Encore August 2024 (I didn't specifically take pictures of rust or peeling paint, but this was an example in the background of one of my photos.)

image.png.13fdbf6bde1e90eacd2721c1ba949dee.png

Incorrect because I was on that sailing with them and was physically on their balcony. I don’t care about your status on the ships- you’re no better than the people who wear their pinnacle pins around the ship with their nose in the air. I’m allowed to ask a question without it being a “omg she’s complaining and entitled” there was literal rust dripping off of the pole, I personally think it’s gross as do others here. You disagree. Move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Incorrect because I was on that sailing with them and was physically on their balcony. I don’t care about your status on the ships- you’re no better than the people who wear their pinnacle pins around the ship with their nose in the air. I’m allowed to ask a question without it being a “omg she’s complaining and entitled” there was literal rust dripping off of the pole, I personally think it’s gross as do others here. You disagree. Move on. 

Yes, let's move on. My point was not entitlement. It was to say that we cruise often enough to know what is "normal" for a big steel ship at sea. And what is an inexperienced cruiser looking for something to complain about.

You'll find rust and paint peels on every ship (even a ship just out of the ship yard). That is "normal". We've sailed on every inaugural cruise for NCL since the Breakaway (except the Joy). We have sailed on the maiden voyage of the Wonder of the Seas and the inaugural voyage of the Symphony of the Seas. And even on the brand new ships, you'll see rust spots if you go and look for them.

While I think ALL cruise lines should keep their ships in good operating order, this video just came out today about NCL. Honestly it sounds as though you don’t want any comments that doesn’t match yours. That’s not how it works here. Yes, I see issues in some of your photos and yes I would bring it to Royal’s attention but it happens in other lines as well including NCL. What is being shown in this “new” video is disgusting. 

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

This attitude (understandable, BTW) is why things don't get fixed.

100% agree. The ship is constantly undergoing maintenance underway and if this doesn't get logged as an issue it likely won't get touched until the next drydock with other refurbishments (if they are planning on them, i.e. paint).

I actually work at Pier 91 and read this thread before I went to work this morning (Quantum Monday).  I happen to look up at the Quantum and took a couple of photos.  It does look like they are doing maintenance on the balcony ceilings.  You can see from the photos that they are working on this section of the ship, as some ceilings are nearly completely scrapped, and other balcony ceilings are partially scrapped.

PXL_20240909_143555310.jpg

PXL_20240909_143557731.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2