Passport on excursions

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I know someone who got it stolen also. I also know 100 who have never had an issue with it being pickpocketed or stolen. I know of a couple who lost theirs inside the house somewhere. Basically, all I'm hearing is "i heard it from a friend whooo, heard it from a friend, whoo, heard it from another...."

Bottom line is SO WHAT?  If you want to keep your passport in the safe, cool. If someone else wants to carry theirs, cool. There is no reason to disparage or intimidate people who don't do as you desire.

"YOU BEEN MESSIN' AROUND"

Bonus points for the REO Speedwagon needle drop!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, klfrodo said:

OP, I've been on this board since it was an AOL only chat room.

Your question is a question that will never have a consensus. 

Do what YOU want to do.

Some are adamant and will die on the hill that THEY are right and everyone else is wrong.

Myself, Anytime I step on foreign soil, I have my passport with me. If others don't, that's okay by me .

Exactly how I feel. It's up to each person what they feel comfortable with. I just don't get, how a passport is anymore an inconvience than having to carry a driver's license? It is barely bigger or thicker than a card. I just presented a few scenarios where you'd want your passport in another country for somebody who might know any better. But if someone has a passport and chooses to leave it in their cabin safe and rely on the ship to get it back to them if they need it, more power to them....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Opinion? or documented fact? 

If documented fact, please provide a link. Otherwise, I'll have to assume an opinion. Which is okay and I respect your opinion. I just feel that those of us who do decide to carry should be respected also

Can a cruise ship leave without you? - The Points Guy

Scroll down to the section about if you think you'll miss the ship.

11 hours ago, bguppies said:

Exactly how I feel. It's up to each person what they feel comfortable with. I just don't get, how a passport is anymore an inconvience than having to carry a driver's license? It is barely bigger or thicker than a card. I just presented a few scenarios where you'd want your passport in another country for somebody who might know any better. But if someone has a passport and chooses to leave it in their cabin safe and rely on the ship to get it back to them if they need it, more power to them....

Actually, it's much bigger and thicker than a card.  I can easily put a driver's license and credit card in my pocket.  A passport would not fit.

We only carry valuables that we can keep on us.  So, it's primarily only an issue on water excursions.  We have a waterproof pouch to wear for driver's licenses, credit cards, and cash. Our first cruise we brought out passports and they were such a tight fit that it doesn't close properly, and everything got wet.  

Everyone can make up their own mind and assess the inherent relative risks. My opinion doesn't matter to anyone but me. And I'm convinced I'm doing what's best for me. You do you. Have a nice day. 🛳️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Can a cruise ship leave without you? - The Points Guy

Scroll down to the section about if you think you'll miss the ship.

If you are not on the ship and the departure time is drawing near, a security officer may enter your cabin and open your safe to locate your passport, driver's license, credit cards or any other important stuff you have left there.

A security officer "MAY" enter your cabin.

Yep, I'm going to leave my passport in my safe cause some people I don't know who I guarantee will not step up to reimburse any additional expenses told me the ship will gather my belongings for me.

Thats just setting yourself up for failure. You can't rely on strangers to take care of you.

Now, again, if this is something you choose to do, by all means. But stop trying to tell others thats there is only one answer and it's your answer.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If you are not on the ship and the departure time is drawing near, a security officer may enter your cabin and open your safe to locate your passport, driver's license, credit cards or any other important stuff you have left there.

A security officer "MAY" enter your cabin.

Yep, I'm going to leave my passport in my safe cause some people I don't know who I guarantee will not step up to reimburse any additional expenses told me the ship will gather my belongings for me.

Thats just setting yourself up for failure. You can't rely on strangers to take care of you.

Now, again, if this is something you choose to do, by all means. But stop trying to tell others thats there is only one answer and it's your answer.

1.I have at no time in this thread or any other place told anyone what to do. I have related what we have done.

2. I only posted to answer your question about finding a source that said that security could take your passport from the safe and deliver it to the port agent.

3. I take the word "MAY" as has permission to not as might.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

1.I have at no time in this thread or any other place told anyone what to do. I have related what we have done.

2. I only posted to answer your question about finding a source that said that security could take your passport from the safe and deliver it to the port agent.

3. I take the word "MAY" as has permission to not as might.

When officers have a Q&A session this question often comes up and they always say that this is something that will be done (noting that they are only going to check the safe, they will not search the cabin). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When officers have a Q&A session this question often comes up and they always say that this is something that will be done (noting that they are only going to check the safe, they will not search the cabin). 

Everyone should do what they feel is right. For us, we always take our passports, and credit cards with us. If something happens God forbid, I don't want to be worrying about if someone is going to retrieve them for us. That's just us, you do you. 😎

• Like 2

So one of the things I find sort of interesting about this thread is everyone's assessment of risk avoidance. And it's clear that everyone is trying to minimize it. Those that leave their Passports aboard place more emphasis on the risk of it being lost/stolen while ashore. Those that take them with them consider the risk that they'll miss the ship greater or that they consider it risky to not have it on their person at all times. I'm confident there's not a right or wrong answer. Just the one that works best for the individual.

Let me go slightly off topic in the hope that it helps others. We always take an emergency unrelated credit card when we travel that is NEVER on our person. It's only purpose is to serve as an emergency Plan B. (I think we run one cellphone contract through it just to keep it active.) We have a frightening history with that as many years ago my wife somehow lost her wallet in the hours leading up to a cruise. We literally discovered that it was missing in the check-in line at the airport. I still remember the look of horror on her face as she opened her purse. Thank goodness her Passport was in a different location other than her purse. Same too with the 'Plan B' card.  We flew as folks frantically searched (unsuccessfully) on our behalf and then spent the evening before the cruise spiking literally every financial tool in our life as there was no chance we were leaving the country so exposed. We were extremely lucky that the Plan B card couldn't possibly have been compromised. We survived the next week quite well as we were confident we had protected ourselves. And then when we got home she spent 2-3 months rebuilding our lives. Everything from DL to Bank Cards to Credit Cards and ALL the accounts they were autopay tied to. Absolute nightmare. Interestingly, while the wallet never showed up, in the end nobody ever tried to defraud us. So the net loss was the $60ish she had in there plus the nice Coach wallet itself.

Bottom line: Have a Plan B.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

Sorry my post got out of hand. I'll leave mine in the safe on board. Just going to Costa maya, Rotan and Cozumel. 

You're all good @Softservekid1. The reality is that everyone has a strong opinion on the topic. I genuinely believe than the significant majority of folks leave them aboard. And now you know the pros and cons. Have a great time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you, it does seem given this that my interpretation of "May" as given permission as opposed to might is the correct one.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 7:58 AM, jsglow said:

So one of the things I find sort of interesting about this thread is everyone's assessment of risk avoidance. And it's clear that everyone is trying to minimize it. Those that leave their Passports aboard place more emphasis on the risk of it being lost/stolen while ashore. Those that take them with them consider the risk that they'll miss the ship greater or that they consider it risky to not have it on their person at all times. I'm confident there's not a right or wrong answer. Just the one that works best for the individual.

Let me go slightly off topic in the hope that it helps others. We always take an emergency unrelated credit card when we travel that is NEVER on our person. It's only purpose is to serve as an emergency Plan B. (I think we run one cellphone contract through it just to keep it active.) We have a frightening history with that as many years ago my wife somehow lost her wallet in the hours leading up to a cruise. We literally discovered that it was missing in the check-in line at the airport. I still remember the look of horror on her face as she opened her purse. Thank goodness her Passport was in a different location other than her purse. Same too with the 'Plan B' card.  We flew as folks frantically searched (unsuccessfully) on our behalf and then spent the evening before the cruise spiking literally every financial tool in our life as there was no chance we were leaving the country so exposed. We were extremely lucky that the Plan B card couldn't possibly have been compromised. We survived the next week quite well as we were confident we had protected ourselves. And then when we got home she spent 2-3 months rebuilding our lives. Everything from DL to Bank Cards to Credit Cards and ALL the accounts they were autopay tied to. Absolute nightmare. Interestingly, while the wallet never showed up, in the end nobody ever tried to defraud us. So the net loss was the $60ish she had in there plus the nice Coach wallet itself.

Great post. 

I always take more credit cards than I use, and keep extras in safe, but not with a plan in mind.  Your post reminded me I need to plan accordingly. 

I usually keep one credit card with passport and DL and another CC separate. Also break up my cash into different locations as well.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:58 AM, jsglow said:

Someone quoting your post reminded me that I wanted to reply to it and life interfered. I would add to the last sentiment "and a Plan C, if possible", but certainly having a back up plan when doing any kind of travel is important.

What I wanted to address, though, is what happens if a passport is lost or stolen during a cruise. Many people in this thread focus on what happens if the ship should sail away with your passport onboard, but I haven't seen anyone mention what happens if your passport is lost or stolen. Every cruise contract that I've read specifically states that the passenger must have in their possession at all times during the trip the travel documents necessary for the trip. What happens if that travel document is no longer available? The cruise line has no choice- they have to put you ashore. So if you take your passport ashore with you and it goes missing the cruise line will have to terminate your cruise. So, that is the other thing to consider- if you leave your passport in the safe and the ship sails away you are stuck in a foreign port until arrangements are made for you to leave the port; if you take your passport ashore and it comes up missing you are stuck in a foreign port until arrangements are made for you to leave port. The good thing is that the cruise line, through it's port agent, will help get you on your way. The other good thing is that either scenario, for the vast majority of cruise ship passengers, has a low risk of occurring. So, there is the other side of the coin and people can take it into consideration or not. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:46 PM, staceyglow said:

It is not required

That depends on the country in question.

It is very seldom enforced - but legally, Mexico requires you to carry your passport at all times.

Per Mexican law, all foreigners must carry their passports when traveling in the country. The law allows the police to stop you at any point and request your passport (and entry permit if issued).

If they ask you for a passport and you fail to provide one, they can detain you as they investigate who you are and whether you are in the country legally. As far as the law goes, it is illegal to walk around in Mexico without a valid passport.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Someone quoting your post reminded me that I wanted to reply to it and life interfered. I would add to the last sentiment "and a Plan C, if possible", but certainly having a back up plan when doing any kind of travel is important.

What I wanted to address, though, is what happens if a passport is lost or stolen during a cruise. Many people in this thread focus on what happens if the ship should sail away with your passport onboard, but I haven't seen anyone mention what happens if your passport is lost or stolen. Every cruise contract that I've read specifically states that the passenger must have in their possession at all times during the trip the travel documents necessary for the trip. What happens if that travel document is no longer available? The cruise line has no choice- they have to put you ashore. So if you take your passport ashore with you and it goes missing the cruise line will have to terminate your cruise. So, that is the other thing to consider- if you leave your passport in the safe and the ship sails away you are stuck in a foreign port until arrangements are made for you to leave the port; if you take your passport ashore and it comes up missing you are stuck in a foreign port until arrangements are made for you to leave port. The good thing is that the cruise line, through it's port agent, will help get you on your way. The other good thing is that either scenario, for the vast majority of cruise ship passengers, has a low risk of occurring. So, there is the other side of the coin and people can take it into consideration or not. 

What happens if that travel document is no longer available?

Well - the cruise ship crew has no idea it's no longer available,  unless you specifically tell them... so you just get back on the boat, finish your cruise, and deal with CBP when you debark.

...and CBP accepts a regular driver's license for those over 16 as proof of citizenship to re-enter the country from a cruise.

34 minutes ago, aborgman said:

What happens if that travel document is no longer available?

Well - the cruise ship crew has no idea it's no longer available,  unless you specifically tell them... so you just get back on the boat, finish your cruise, and deal with CBP when you debark.

...and CBP accepts a regular driver's license for those over 16 as proof of citizenship to re-enter the country from a cruise.

Sure, you could hide it from the cruise line but they are going to find out, since CBP is likely to bring it to their attention that they were illegally carrying a passenger. Then you face the prospect of being put on the cruise line's no sail list and possibly other lists as well. I simply was pointing out the other "what if's" and people are free to consider it, or not, in making their decision about what to do with their passport. (And even if you have managed to dodge this particular bullet you are still left with needing to get another passport. Not a daunting thing for sure but still a consideration.)

Edited by sparks1093

36 minutes ago, aborgman said:

That depends on the country in question.

It is very seldom enforced - but legally, Mexico requires you to carry your passport at all times.

Per Mexican law, all foreigners must carry their passports when traveling in the country. The law allows the police to stop you at any point and request your passport (and entry permit if issued).

If they ask you for a passport and you fail to provide one, they can detain you as they investigate who you are and whether you are in the country legally. As far as the law goes, it is illegal to walk around in Mexico without a valid passport.

You are being pedantic. If a cruiser had ever been detained for not having a passport, it would be all over cruising-related social media, and AFAIK that hasn't happened.

I have been in Mexico on cruises over a dozen times, and I have never been told, by Carnival or anyone else, that I needed my passport off the ship.  Nor have I ever heard of anyone been asked for one.

Carnival tells you to bring a government ID, and I don't recall ever being even asked for that.  I am sure if I needed proof that I had legal permission to be in the country, my drivers license and Sail and Sign card would be enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Sure, you could hide it from the cruise line but they are going to find out, since CBP is likely to bring it to their attention that they were illegally carrying a passenger. Then you face the prospect of being put on the cruise line's no sail list and possibly other lists as well. I simply was pointing out the other "what if's" and people are free to consider it, or not, in making their decision about what to do with their passport. 

1) Just not telling them is not "hiding" anything.

2) As long as you have a driver's license - CBP just lets you back in. They don't even know that you got on the boat with a passport. You could use your passport to get on, and a birth certificate getting off (while still carrying your passport) and no one would care or even notice.

3) Allowing you to be on the ship after losing a passport is not illegal

Just now, aborgman said:

1) Just not telling them is not "hiding" anything.

2) As long as you have a driver's license - CBP just lets you back in. They don't even know that you got on the boat with a passport. You could use your passport to get on, and a birth certificate getting off (while still carrying your passport) and no one would care or even notice.

3) Allowing you to be on the ship after losing a passport is not illegal

The cruise is prohibited by law from carrying someone without the required travel documentation and are subject to fines for doing so. 2 may apply to a closed loop cruise, but not all cruises, and CBP certainly does know what documents you boarded with (although a CBP officer may not check, it is still info that is available to them). On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate coupled with a government issued ID is acceptable on a closed loop cruise. I would argue that you have a positive duty to divulge this information and failure to do so is certainly hiding it. Again, people can do what they want to with the information that I have provided. 

1 minute ago, staceyglow said:

You are being pedantic. If a cruiser had ever been detained for not having a passport, it would be all over cruising-related social media, and AFAIK that hasn't happened.

I have been in Mexico on cruises over a dozen times, and I have never been told, by Carnival or anyone else, that I needed my passport off the ship.  Nor have I ever heard of anyone been asked for one.

Carnival tells you to bring a government ID, and I don't recall ever being even asked for that.  I am sure if I needed proof that I had legal permission to be in the country, my drivers license and Sail and Sign card would be enough.

I know of no one from a cruise who has been detained.

I know of multiple people in Cozumel for a week or two, stopped at checkpoints, who were detained for not carrying their passport.

The checkpoints seem to have died down - but they were going real hard in 2020 and 2021 checking tourists for their papers.

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The cruise is prohibited by law from carrying someone without the required travel documentation and are subject to fines for doing so.

No, they are not.

US law MAY prevent them from EMBARKING someone without proper documentation, but even that is rather unlikely.

7 minutes ago, aborgman said:

No, they are not.

US law MAY prevent them from EMBARKING someone without proper documentation, but even that is rather unlikely.

Not what my research has shown so we'll agree to disagree on this one.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Per Mexican law, all foreigners must carry their passports when traveling in the country. 

How can this be the case, when passports are not required for closed loop cruises that stop in Mexico? Those traveling without passports are certainly, legally, able to get off the ship in the Mexican ports.

• Like 1