QM2 Broadwalk Disapeared?

Just back from the round UK cruises on QM2.  We had some good weather days so i might have used the Broadwalk.  In the daily programme it does not exist, or is reported to be closed.  When up on the deck all signage has been removed.  There is nothing to indicated that the space was ever anything.  The kitchen door was unlocked.  It looked very clean bit devoid of any removable kitchen equipment.  Lighting was on though.  I wonder if this is the end for the Broadwalk or perhaps it will be reopened and better.

It is perhaps the wrong venue in the wrong location but some outside food service would be good.  Particulaly nearer the pools and more sheltered.  I remember one crossing where chips/fries were lifting off the plate.

Best wishes, Stephen.

23 minutes ago, s.s.France said:

I think I never saw it open on any crossing. I thought it would be in use during warm-weather cruising maybe, when the open deck is used with deckchairs

That is what I thought.  I was surprised that all signage had been removed.  If I remember there was a sign and a menu board even when the Broadwalk was closed.

It was open during our long UK-West Indies cruise in 2022 but sorry, it looked SO unappetising at first glance and smell that we avoided it. Big stainless steel trays of precooked and 20 times warmed over beef patties and sausages... even the mess deck of an wartime corvette had better grub than that, surely. Our crew mess sure did. 

And yes... it's often windy enough to discourage al fresco dining too... a little too much "fresco" and your rubbery sausage might fly off and put someone's eye out. 

• Haha 2

There was an attempt to open it on our 2017 eastbound crossing - on the last sea day there was little relative wind and it was sunny. Just before opening a line of thunderstorms popped up, and the umbrellas and tables were quickly struck. I decided to head to the Golden Lion.

It was open during our May 2017 WB Crossing and we did use it once (hamburgers and fries). Not open on our WB Crossings in 9/2018, 5/2022 or 6/2024. I agree with Stephen, some sort of outside food service would be nice or at the least a beverage service. However, I don't blame Cunard for not wanting to get ketchup or red wine stains in the teak decking. Maybe just white wine, beer and clear sodas???

Jack

I've not been on a Crossing when it opened but I have seen it open on Med. and Caribbean legs. The Daily Programme mentioned the Broadwalk Café until the end of last year, but it was always down as "weather permitting", and seemingly it didn't permit.

It was open a few times during our Mediterranean cruise in August 2023, very early closing times though.

It'll be a shame if it is closed, as it was nice option to have. I took good use of the Pavillion Grill on Queen Anne (@WantedOnVoyage, you'll be happy to know all those items are made to order, and you can see the chefs cooking it up right there.)

I'm sure with the popularity of the kennels the higher ups will want it expanded into there for more revenue if the above is true.

Not sure if they will make the investment but yes, the old QM2 needs a makeover and there are features and facilities either underutilized or not working anymore.  The Grills Terrace, the Verandah Restaurant and Boardwalk Cafe come readily to mind.  She has always been a odd duck having the "lido restaurant" miles from... well... a lido or pools and a complete lack of bars etc on the upper open decks, etc.  Me, I just love her for those acres of real teak decking and her high ceilings indoors.  But... yes, some things just don't work. And it shows. 

9 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hoping it will be restored for our sailing in March 2025 in the Caribbean and warm weather.

Hopefully the upcoming Caribbean cruises in November & December can give us any hints.

• Like 1

We're aboard in January 2025 ex-Southampton for 35 delicious nights to the West Indies and while the Boardwalk Cafe is hardly a deal breaker for us, we hope to at least get a whiff of chips (as do the occupants of the kennels below) during at least some of it. 

Equally was open in the 2022/3 Christmas cruise in December/Jan in the warmer climate of caribbean too.

Was a great location to eat lunch in the sun, and there wasn't a table free at times (it was that busy).   I suspect they only open it in such a circumstance, when the wind is also not high.

I remember the space as looking like an  afterthought.  If they wanted to take a page from the cash flow positive parent company- put in some modest welded wind breaks and have a Cantina.  Hot dogs and hamburgers are not healthy any more and seem very 1966.   I found outdoor dining useful during COVID outbreaks.  Airborne virus transmission is inefficient in 30 knot winds.