travel insurance

Darrel223

My Insurance documents from the post office says  I am insured for - Europe including: Cape Verde, Cyprus, Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, Turkey .

I am visiting France , Portugal , Spain , Dose my Insurance document need to state which country's  I am visiting or dose Europe cover the rest of the country's

23 minutes ago, Darrel223 said:

My Insurance documents from the post office says  I am insured for - Europe including: Cape Verde, Cyprus, Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, Turkey .

I am visiting France , Portugal , Spain , Dose my Insurance document need to state which country's  I am visiting or dose Europe cover the rest of the country's

Tbh I'd email them and ask them to put it in writing what they cover. Don't trust insurance companies one bit and think they will do anything they can to get out of paying. The more evidence you have, the better should you need to claim.

My research comes up with:

Europe means the European Union, the European Economic Area and/or their member states, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

.. so under no circumstances do your countries possibly fall outside of that!

The reason your policy is worded the way it is is because some customers are unsure about the countries it has listed and it prevents constant queries (although how Spain got into those specified defeats me!).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

My research comes up with:

Europe means the European Union, the European Economic Area and/or their member states, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

.. so under no circumstances do your countries possibly fall outside of that!

The reason your policy is worded the way it is is because some customers are unsure about the countries it has listed and it prevents constant queries (although how Spain got into those specified defeats me!).

I'd still ask for clarification... better be safe than sorry. You can only.regrer not asking them.... 

In insurance terms there are actually two group definitions of European cover for travel. 

Europe including: Cape Verde, Cyprus, Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, Turkey is the second level of cover and as described offers full cover including the countries listed.  As such any policy covering these "higher " grade states will offer cover in the other European regions not specifically named and France and Portugal will be covered.

The "second tier" was introduced at a higher premium level due to problems some years back with higher medical bills in some regions and also a reluctance by a few countries to accept the health cards of other at the time EU member countries.

The first level of cover (cheapest) covers European countries except those named in group 2, ie Spain etc.

It is also possible to purchase a policy stating worldwide (excluding USA and Caribbean) and again this is based purely on higher medical costs in those excluded regions).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

In insurance terms there are actually two group definitions of European cover for travel. 

Europe including: Cape Verde, Cyprus, Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, Turkey is the second level of cover and as described offers full cover including the countries listed.  As such any policy covering these "higher " grade states will offer cover in the other European regions not specifically named and France and Portugal will be covered.

The "second tier" was introduced at a higher premium level due to problems some years back with higher medical bills in some regions and also a reluctance by a few countries to accept the health cards of other at the time EU member countries.

The first level of cover (cheapest) covers European countries except those named in group 2, ie Spain etc.

It is also possible to purchase a policy stating worldwide (excluding USA and Caribbean) and again this is based purely on higher medical costs in those excluded regions).

Interesting thank you 

I should add for the OP and others in case they are unaware that you MUST be in possession of a GHIC as it will be a term of your insurance policy to hold such a card.  This is because your insurer will be able to reduce your liability for charges on a medical claim as the UK government will meet a percentage of certain medical conditions charges.  Whilst medical help will not be refused if you do not hold this card, failure to have one may delay the start of treatment in some cases and an individual will need to pay often considerable sums up front while your insurer verifies and confirms your cover which unfortunately can take some time.

The card is free and can be applied for via the NHS.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

For those travelling further afield there will be requirements in policies to register for other reciprocal medical cover arrangements upon arrival in that country, Australia for instance being one such notable place.

In other words read and thoroughly understand what your policy covers, where it has conditions and what it requires you do do to ensure your full cover.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

you MUST be in possession of a GHIC as it will be a term of your insurance policy to hold such a card.

This maybe the case with some companies but neither of the policies I have contain such a requirement.

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

This maybe the case with some companies but neither of the policies I have contain such a requirement.

Mine do. 3 different companies over the last couple of years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pine Man said:

The OP has a Post Office policy which does have this condition along with most major UK policy issuers.  Other companies regularly used by CC posters including Staysure, Good to Go, AllClear and Avanti also carry this clause.

As I said previously you won't be denied health care if you roll up to hospital in medical need in Europe without one but you will be asked to pay a very substantial sum upfront.  I speak from first hand experience with someone lying in heart failure on a stretcher who did not have the GHIC card to hand and was asked for €4,000 before the patient could go into A&E.  

The card is free, issued by the UK government and is mentioned in virtually every travel insurance policy I have read over the years.  It's not a points scoring exercise to say only some insurers require it,  it is intended as a help to the OP and anyone else who finds the subject confusing.

For instance from a current Staysure policy:

"Countries with reciprocal health agreements If you require medical treatment during your trip then in the first instance you must make use of any reciprocal health agreement between the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man and the country you have travelled to, such as the GHIC."

• Like 1

Just checked one of my policies, issued by CSIS, and as far as the GHIC is concerned the following applies:-

'If you are unable to use the UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC), you will have to pay the medical facility and submit a claim when you get home'.

From memory the other policy is issued on a similar basis but by a different insurer.

It's clear, now, that probably most companies do insist on GHIC use and it is well worth bringing this to the attention of forum members.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

It's clear, now, that probably most companies do insist on GHIC use and it is well worth bringing this to the attention of forum members.

Absolutely, our upcoming cruise has had a couple of ports changed from the USA to France and it is surprising how many people have posted in our group about not having or not knowing the possible implications of not having the card.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Absolutely, our upcoming cruise has had a couple of ports changed from the USA to France and it is surprising how many people have posted in our group about not having or not knowing the possible implications of not having the card.

Try not to scare them too much but the cruise line/hospital in our case stated they would expect you to have access via a line of credit of a five figure sum, ie £10,000.  In our case as many know £24,000 and a fight with the insurer ensued.

• Like 2

Boarding this coming Saturday, so after seeing the tip from Megabear2 (many thanks) I checked our cards - out of date! - and applied on-line today for the GHIC.

Approved by email the same day, with allocated reference number, including how to obtain a temporary card if the main card has not arrived before travelling (which in our case it will not have done).

"If you need state-funded treatment while visiting another country and do not have your card with you, a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) can provide the same cover temporarily.

You can only apply for a PRC from the time you need treatment. A PRC can provide cover for treatment that has already taken place, but one cannot be issued in advance."
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

Boarding this coming Saturday, so after seeing the tip from Megabear2 (many thanks) I checked our cards - out of date! - and applied on-line today for the GHIC.

Approved by email the same day, with allocated reference number, including how to obtain a temporary card if the main card has not arrived before travelling (which in our case it will not have done).

"If you need state-funded treatment while visiting another country and do not have your card with you, a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) can provide the same cover temporarily.

You can only apply for a PRC from the time you need treatment. A PRC can provide cover for treatment that has already taken place, but one cannot be issued in advance."

Glad to have been of help.  Have a great holiday.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks to you and @Megabear2.  I do have a GHIC, but had not thought of taking it on our upcoming cruise.  It is now sitting on the table along with all the other important 'bits' I must take .... foreign currency, passports, multi-pack of Maltesers 😁 etc!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The OP has a Post Office policy which does have this condition along with most major UK policy issuers.  Other companies regularly used by CC posters including Staysure, Good to Go, AllClear and Avanti also carry this clause.

As I said previously you won't be denied health care if you roll up to hospital in medical need in Europe without one but you will be asked to pay a very substantial sum upfront.  I speak from first hand experience with someone lying in heart failure on a stretcher who did not have the GHIC card to hand and was asked for €4,000 before the patient could go into A&E.  

The card is free, issued by the UK government and is mentioned in virtually every travel insurance policy I have read over the years.  It's not a points scoring exercise to say only some insurers require it,  it is intended as a help to the OP and anyone else who finds the subject confusing.

For instance from a current Staysure policy:

"Countries with reciprocal health agreements If you require medical treatment during your trip then in the first instance you must make use of any reciprocal health agreement between the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man and the country you have travelled to, such as the GHIC."

As normal, a very informative post. Perhaps it is worth just reiterating to cc friends....carry the card with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks to you and @Megabear2.  I do have a GHIC, but had not thought of taking it on our upcoming cruise.  It is now sitting on the table along with all the other important 'bits' I must take .... foreign currency, passports, multi-pack of Maltesers 😁 etc!

Extra strong mints....just in case.

• Haha 3