Specialty dining reservation times need to be fairly distributed.

mozfoz

Getting back to one of the other topics:

I second the caution MauiBabes gave:   We did our first O cruise in 2023.   I had extremely high expectations for the food given their "finest cuisine at sea".   We were *slightly* let down.   Do not take this wrong:  it was quite good ('brilliant' for some).  Most of the food was quite good.   Some of it was too French for our tastes (we are 'boycotting' pates, ducks, etc ..but little snails are quite OK :P).   Nevertheless, there was always something good to eat and comparing to some of the other lines post-Covid, if that is your baseline - you will like it.   I've seen one person make claim to at least 5 lobster tails in the Terrace Cafe - and you can do that every night if you wish.  And no, it was not me.   

As it was our first O cruise and we didn't choose concierge (maybe we should have?) - so we had the same issue 8:00 or 8:30 IIRC for our two reservations.   That said, we ate at specialty restaurants 5 times.   We ended up asking each night and if there was room, we got in - and if not, we went to MDR or Terrace.   And as for 2000 dining, I get why after going home with a friend and coworker to Italy (with a few mid-latitude Europeans to boot).   We nearly died from puckishness the first night, but only thing open before 1930 was McDonald's and that is right out.   But the next day, we went to lunch.   We nearly rolled out of there.   We had previously made plans for the Brazilian place for dinner.   No-one was hungry that evening.   My DW and I both skipped breakfast and group consensus at lunch was no way we could eat that much again.   Of course, I also know the reality is different - but at least I get bemused by this story.

Tom

• Like 1

What if Oceania allowed 2 reservations upon booking of any cabin, with the remainder of the allowed reservations available upon final payment.  

That might be encouragement for early full payments, providing up front cash for Oceania.  This system would spread out availably for everyone.  

14 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

What if Oceania allowed 2 reservations upon booking of any cabin, with the remainder of the allowed reservations available upon final payment.  

That might be encouragement for early full payments, providing up front cash for Oceania.  This system would spread out availably for everyone.  

They don't allow any reservations until final payment

"Fair" is a moving target that depends on your perception. Whether it's dining reservations, taxes, who gets the last slice of pizza or just about anything,  those that benefit from the rules generally think it's fair.  Those that don't often want it changed to something that benefits them more.

Like most things,  if there's a change then some people will be happy and some will vow to never sail O again.   I think the best method is to learn the rules and options and put them to use for your personal situation.   There's some great advice in this thread that can help.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

I think the best method is to learn the rules and options and put them to use for your personal situation.   

Total naivety. Do you realize the number of people that refuse to read their Oceania contract? The clowns posting here that won’t even read Oceania’s FAQ? Cruisers that refuse to listen to the CD announcements. Oceania cruisers that refuse to listen to and ignore tour guide instructions! Passengers that choose to ignore and not read the daily Currents.

Here’s a question: How hard is it read the carry on restrictions for any airline?  Just got to Europe and watched all the ugly Americans trying to bring aboard outrageously sized backpacks and suitcases and then causing scenes and delays during boarding!

What part of “ No shorts in the Specialties “ are people to mentally incapable of understanding? 

Many have zero intention of learning the rules. They merely want to do what personally pleases them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Total naivety. Do you realize the number of people that refuse to read their Oceania Many have zero intention of learning the rules. They merely want to do what personally pleases them. 

I see your glass is half full again. 😄

• Haha 1

Specialty restaurants are such a big deal on O.  They really aren't that much better than other food you get on the ship, and I've had some that is worse, and it wasn't in Ember.  But people are willing to book concierge class just for the fact that they get to book one of these fabulous restaurants reserved earlier and pay thousands of dollars more just for the chance to tell people in the bar they have a reservation in a specialty restaurant that night.  That makes them a very special person.

I know I'm sounding snarky but we're not willing to get up in the middle of the night to get a table for two at 6:30. We love a table for six at 7:30 or 8:00 and laughing and talking for several hours.

Everyone likes different things but try being flexible.  Yes, you might end up with someone who you don't like that much.  But if you do get your table for two you might find out you're just inches away from the table next to you.  And they might try to talk to you.

Please excuse me if I'm sounding mean but not everyone is going to get exactly what they want.  Enjoy what you get and you'll have a great cruise

• Like 4

I learned as a young man that "fair" is the thing they have in the middle of the summer with rides and people that will take your money away from you. I may look and act slow, but I'm really not. Since then, I've always kept my distance from the "fair". 

To stay on topic, I never have trouble eating early, no later than 7:30, usually 6:30, even with booking the cheap seats, as long as we're willing to share. It's the rigid, "I've got to have a 2 top" mindset that creates the issue. My advice to those folks is to fork out the bucks and book a room that gets early booking, if it's that important to you. But Seriously Folks, quit trying to change the system, just work in the framework. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Actually, there are more reasons than that.  What about the free bottle of faux champagne in the room?

Why do you say faux Champagne?  Last month it was Montaudon, which is from Reims.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ORV said:

My advice to those folks is to fork out the bucks and book a room that gets early booking,

It's one of the significant reasons why we book a Concierge.

Important to us to get a two-top at the right time - sharing at 6.30 is definitely not our thing. And  on the right day - we don't want to do a speciality on a day we'd also planned a nice long lunch ashore. 

• Like 1

I have a question for those who have sailed in a PH and above. I’ve only sailed O once, in a B balcony cabin, but have sailings coming up in a PH. 
PH and above can get meals from any specialty served course by course in their cabin. Is this a benefit that is commonly used?  Is there a disadvantage to this that I’m not seeing?  

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I have a question for those who have sailed in a PH and above. I’ve only sailed O once, in a B balcony cabin, but have sailings coming up in a PH. 
PH and above can get meals from any specialty served course by course in their cabin. Is this a benefit that is commonly used?  Is there a disadvantage to this that I’m not seeing?  

There is no disadvantage because it does not count towards the allotted number of reservations you are allowed in the specialty restaurants.  I don't know how commonly used it is.  We always book PH and we've done it one time.  It's a nice benefit if you'd had a long excursion day and still wish to have the nice dinner in your stateroom. 

The one thing I would recommend is that you notify your butler that morning so that he has a heads up that you are planning on doing this.  You can talk to him later in the day with your order and the time you would like to have it delivered. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Disadvantages would be, lack of room to spread things out, maybe not quite as warm as it would be in the restaurant. Minor issues. 

• Like 1

We moved the table and 2 chairs away from the wall towards the center.  We did this in a PH on Regatta and there was plenty of room. I recall the butler being a little surprised that we moved the furniture ourselves but he was pleased we did it because it made his job easier. 

• Like 1

Has Riviera or Marina changed where you eat in a PH since the refurb? I know Marina probably didn't. These are the ships with room issues for eating in the PH. I don't really know the setup in Vista. 

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Is this a benefit that is commonly used?

Not by me. I enjoy going to restaurants and, when I'm on holiday, that means I get to go to a restaurant every night. I've no interest in having dinner in the cabin. 

• Like 2

We only occasionally eat en-suite. As ORV says there really isn’t the room on the tables in a PH for a full main course. The upper suites are different. When we order en-suite, it’s only appetizers from the restaurant (s) of choice. IMO, for eating a steak, Osso Bucco, or other large course, the PH suite table isn’t the right place.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Why do you say faux Champagne?  Last month it was Montaudon, which is from Reims.

I will add that Montaudon Brut is also the included Champagne that has provided by Seabourn (a luxury line) for many years.  Yes, it is real Champagne and pretty decent.  If I were rating this product on the usual wine lovers scale, I would score it in the high 80s.  Not as good as some, and much better than many.  

Hank