NCL airport transfer, Miami?

grouchomarx

I will be traveling solo in December and want to know the easiest most hassle free way to MIA for a 1:45pm flight.  I was considering the NCL transfer which is reasonably priced. Does anyone say yay or nay about this or recommend a taxi or Uber over it?  I have not cruised from Miami in ages nor taken a cruise bus to the airport in forever and don’t know what it’s like at the port.

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I will be traveling solo in December and want to know the easiest most hassle free way to MIA for a 1:45pm flight.  I was considering the NCL transfer which is reasonably priced. Does anyone say yay or nay about this or recommend a taxi or Uber over it?  I have not cruised from Miami in ages nor taken a cruise bus to the airport in forever and don’t know what it’s like at the port.

For a solo, the easiest thing would be to walk out of the terminal and accept a shuttle offer to the airport for $10. Shuttles board in the parking structure near the taxi stand. 

16 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Traveling solo there is no reason not to use NCL transfers. A taxi or Uber might be faster, but you have so much time there is no need to be in a hurry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Self-disembark with your luggage and take one of the many waiting cabs.  Cheap, comfortable, fast and direct to your airline.

OP has no reason to hurry to get a 1:45 flight. Certainly no reason to be one of the first off of the ship to sit around MIA for 5 hours. She should be one of the last off.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

OP has no reason to hurry to get a 1:45 flight. Certainly no reason to be one of the first off of the ship to sit around MIA for 5 hours. She should be one of the last off.  

Well, I don’t enjoy sitting around the crowded ship’s Atrium, either.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For a solo, the easiest thing would be to walk out of the terminal and accept a shuttle offer to the airport for $10. Shuttles board in the parking structure near the taxi stand. 

Are those $ 10 shuttles easy to find? No pre booking needed? 

I guess I can decide when I’m on the ship. I am just not familiar with Miami since it’s been ages since I sailed from there and don’t remember what it’s like.  If it’s anything like Fort Lauderdale I will be just fine. Having just sailed out of NYC twice recently I have chaos and insanity pictured in my mind but I know FL is totally different.

I haven't cruised from/to Miami yet (but will in December). Personally... I like the simplicity of booking airport transfer with the cruise line. I make sure I am not in a hurry though. Just one more thing I can have completely paid in advance and just follow the instructions to get to the shuttles. I was hoping there would be a good "shore excursion" that takes you to the airport instead... but even though it starts something like 9 am and is said to be only 4 hours and as such, should arrive at the airport around 1pm... it says it isn't for people with flights earlier than  6pm. I don't get that one. Seems like it should be good for people who's flights are after 3:30 or 4. And... didn't look to be that interesting. My flight is something like 5:40pm... I will probably try to hang out on the ship until I can't anymore and then catch the NCL shuttle. Too bad we can't just be tourists in and area adjacent to the ship in Miami... I would have loved that if the location gave easy city access (walking I mean).

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The guys will be right outside the door of the terminal hustling people to jump in their van. We use them. 

So you just go find the shuttle and pay in cash? $10 would be really great. NCL is $25 which doesn’t exactly break the bank but it’s still more than 2x the cost.

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

So you just go find the shuttle and pay in cash? $10 would be really great. NCL is $25 which doesn’t exactly break the bank but it’s still more than 2x the cost.

Pretty much. When you exit the terminal, folks will be there saying "Need a ride to the airport, 10 bucks". 

FYI. In April, a Uber XL at 7:20 costs $38.32 (we book the XL because of our luggage). By 8:00, the price had jumped by $15 due to demand pricing. 

image.thumb.png.a815f22fd65adcbea4116cf5aaa1b24c.png

Edited by BirdTravels

15 hours ago, JSar said:

I haven't cruised from/to Miami yet (but will in December). Personally... I like the simplicity of booking airport transfer with the cruise line. I make sure I am not in a hurry though. Just one more thing I can have completely paid in advance and just follow the instructions to get to the shuttles. I was hoping there would be a good "shore excursion" that takes you to the airport instead... but even though it starts something like 9 am and is said to be only 4 hours and as such, should arrive at the airport around 1pm... it says it isn't for people with flights earlier than  6pm. I don't get that one. Seems like it should be good for people who's flights are after 3:30 or 4. And... didn't look to be that interesting. My flight is something like 5:40pm... I will probably try to hang out on the ship until I can't anymore and then catch the NCL shuttle. Too bad we can't just be tourists in and area adjacent to the ship in Miami... I would have loved that if the location gave easy city access (walking I mean).

Unfortunately in Miami the docks are a quasi-industrial area and there is really no where to walk around. You have to get into town. With a flight that late I would get a day room in the Brickell area and walk around nd eat there. It’s an easy Uber both to Brickell and to the airport. 

10 hours ago, zqvol said:

Unfortunately in Miami the docks are a quasi-industrial area and there is really no where to walk around. You have to get into town. With a flight that late I would get a day room in the Brickell area and walk around nd eat there. It’s an easy Uber both to Brickell and to the airport. 

Yep... I know, that is pretty obvious when you look at the map. Too bad! I think our budget has been pushed to the limits with all of our shore excursions and spa treatments, so I don't think I want to do a day use hotel. I am not to worried about the extra time at the airport. Like I said - we will hang out on the ship as long as we can, and then take our time catching the shuttle. It really is stupid that the shore excursions that to to the airport say they aren't good for people flying out before 6pm. It really makes no sense. They start at 9 and are 4 hours - that puts you at the airport by 2pm or so... no reason why I can't take that shore excursion for a flight at around 5:30. But the warnings on the shore excursion say otherwise...  I am actually planning to ask about it on the ship and switch if they think it is feasible. 

Edited by JSar