Princess App can't count days to embarkation?

Need-a-vacation

31 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

The old app said 8 Days 13 Hours 23 Minutes (for example). The new app only has the days. So it's really 8 days plus the extra hours and minutes. An annoying change that I wish they would reverse. 🙂

This is from May 2023 with the old app

FB_IMG_1726552171843.thumb.jpg.6b731bcbe386a5ffb09082c28dcf9e82.jpg

29 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

I'm not stressing over it, just think it's kinda sad they can't accurately report how many days until embarkation.  Seeing the info from the old app kinda explains how it works.

App is nuts for me.  Says I purchased Premier Package.  I did not buy any package.  I have reported it. No correction other then they say they cannot see it on my account.

The days seem to flip over some time during the middle of the day. I'm sure it said 9 days in the morning and switched to 8 at some point during the day. I've run into this issue on other cruise groups on other social media sites where someone posts the countdown in the morning and later in the day someone else has a different number.

I think of it as if they just don't round. For easy numbers let's say embarkation is at 3:00pm on the 25th.  On 9/16 at 2:00pm there are 9 days and 1 hour to go.  The app says 9 days.  Fast forward a couple hours, on 9/16 at 4:00pm there are 8 days and 23 hours to go.  The app says 8 days.  So, they just call out the number of full days remaining and ignore the hours in the remainder.

I don't know that this is EXACTLY how it works or if the time of day is right but I think it's directionally correct for why you're seeing what looks like bad basic math.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

The days seem to flip over some time during the middle of the day. I'm sure it said 9 days in the morning and switched to 8 at some point during the day.

I've noticed this too. I think it's around noon. My theory is that the app is going off of embarkation time. It knows how many hours and minutes it just doesn't display them. So it goes from 9 days to 8 Days (23 hours 59 minutes) around the time that embarkation is officially scheduled to start. Even though they often start boarding before that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rheathslc said:

I've noticed this too. I think it's around noon. My theory is that the app is going off of embarkation time. It knows how many hours and minutes it just doesn't display them. So it goes from 9 days to 8 Days (23 hours 59 minutes) around the time that embarkation is officially scheduled to start. Even though they often start boarding before that time.

You’re probably right.  Sailing time.

Some of us are leaving from the US or foreign ports.  If we knew the hours and minutes, we could check it.

🤔

This was the least of my issues. I just had a call from Princess and they are aware of and very frustrated by several app and website errors.

it is a mess and I told her this has been a mess for me since April 23/24 for my Sun booking.

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Some of us are leaving from the US or foreign ports

That's a good point. Every cruise I've taken since the advent of the app has been from the west coast of the U.S. and I'm just one time zone away in Utah. So I wonder how the app tracks departures from ports that are several time zones away from you. I feel like it's probably not that sophisticated. Perhaps the "app time" is the same as ship time at Embarkation. 

Again this all just my theory based on only my observations. I could be totally off base. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the website is showing xx days remaining and the app is showing a day less for our cruise

For me it depends on what time of day I check. 

These are both from just now. Showing the same number of days. After about 12 noon the app will change to be 59 but the website will continue to show 60 until after midnight tonight. I have tested this. Because I'm odd and like to do that kind of thing. 😁

Screenshot_20240917_103444_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a17e858a61a38d98d938fee481d78032.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the website is showing xx days remaining and the app is showing a day less for our cruise

yep I think its the app that flips over in the middle of the day.  The website and app are independently calculating the same metric using two different sets of logic. My career is built around data analytics and this is a never-ending challenge....seeing Princess guilty of this is the least surprising thing that will happen to me today 😆

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

That's a good point. Every cruise I've taken since the advent of the app has been from the west coast of the U.S. and I'm just one time zone away in Utah. So I wonder how the app tracks departures from ports that are several time zones away from you. I feel like it's probably not that sophisticated. Perhaps the "app time" is the same as ship time at Embarkation. 

Again this all just my theory based on only my observations. I could be totally off base. 🙂

These time date calculations always give me a headache!  haha.   I would think the count would (should) be based on the embarkation port's date/time zone.  But it doesn't, at least as far as I can see.  I have a cruise embarking Southampton on 10/8.  If I were standing in Southampton right now that would be 21 days.  Six hours from now it would be 20 days I guess.  But, I'm probably overlooking some space/time continuum rule -- so probably off base too!  

• Haha 1

For me it depends on what time of day I check. 

These are both from just now. Showing the same number of days. After about 12 noon the app will change to be 59 but the website will continue to show 60 until after midnight tonight. I have tested this. Because I'm odd and like to do that kind of thing. 😁

Screenshot_20240917_103444_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a17e858a61a38d98d938fee481d78032.jpg

Update: It is now 12:15pm local time (mountain) and the app still shows 60 days. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps it's 1pm my time which would be 12pm Pacific, ie "Ship Time" where the cruise departs from.

I know most folks probably couldn't care less about this but I find it entertaining to try to figure it out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

With all the issues in the app, this really isn't one. It considers a day 24 hours. If it is less than 24 hours, it will round down. Only counts complete 24 hr periods.  Is it really that annoying to people?

It's not an issue or problem. It's just a feature that someone had a question about. And this thread is the discussion that followed. It has mostly been of a positive nature. We're sharing opinions, observations and ideas about how we think this feature works. 

Not sure why it matters to anyone what someone else is or is not interested in/annoyed about. If you're not interested personally you certainly don't have to engage.

• Like 1

Don’t see how Princess App can have an accurate countdown for all given time zones and the International Date Line.  Not all cruisers are from the US and not all cruises depart from the US.

Pointing out a non issue.  One shouldn’t rely on the App to inform you of how far out one’s cruise is.  That’s what the Gregorian calendar is there for.

• Thanks 1

It's not an issue or problem. It's just a feature that someone had a question about. And this thread is the discussion that followed. It has mostly been of a positive nature. We're sharing opinions, observations and ideas about how we think this feature works. 

Not sure why it matters to anyone what someone else is or is not interested in/annoyed about. If you're not interested personally you certainly don't have to engage.

Well, I was just sharing my opinion as well. Are only certain opinions , observations and ideas welcome? Im sorry you didnt appreciate mine. I hope you have a glorious day.