7 Days Balcony or 14 Days Inside Cabin

2TheSea4Me

Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I've gone ahead and put a deposit down for the 14 day.   My husband is retired Navy so he knows that he enjoys being "underweigh" though he has never been on a pleasure cruise.   I'm not claustrophobic and generally have a hard time sleeping if it isn't dark so the inside may be great for me anyway.   

Thanks again!  I'm sure I will have lots of questions going forward.  

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, 2TheSea4Me said:

Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I've gone ahead and put a deposit down for the 14 day.   My husband is retired Navy so he knows that he enjoys being "underweigh" though he has never been on a pleasure cruise.   I'm not claustrophobic and generally have a hard time sleeping if it isn't dark so the inside may be great for me anyway.   

Thanks again!  I'm sure I will have lots of questions going forward.  

I think you’ll be very happy with your decision.  It’s a terrific cruise and you are going to have a fabulous time for 14 days!  Enjoy!

• Like 2

We've done hundreds of days in inside cabins, many of which were at least 3 weeks long.  We've also sailed with ocean view and balconies. We just returned from Alaska on a 7 day inside cabin voyage on Princess, and it was one of the best cabins we have experienced.  We're now preparing for a 42 day inside cabin adventure to Egypt and return.

Enjoy the cruise to Alaska!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2TheSea4Me said:

I've gone ahead and put a deposit down for the 14 day.  

It sounds like an inside cabin will be a good fit for both of you. 

In our limited experience, 7, 14 and 25-night cruises, we found we just didn't spend much time on the balconies. So we recently booked ten-nights in an inside cabin to give it a try. 

Since we are doing this soon, I really appreciated hearing everyone's perspectives here. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stpatsirish said:

Since it is the Nieuw Amsterdam, I would book the inside and get a Lido Cabana for the 2 weeks. That is what we have done for Alaska and are doing for the Panama Canal. We have an indoor space to ourselves for viewing that is dry and warm, we can still go outside for viewing and we have a steward serving the cabana. 

We really love the cabana idea.  I've inquired on the Cabanas (and there are still some Lido cabanas available) and have also done a little bit of researching online.  

So there are Lido Cabanas and there are Retreat cabins.   I assume the recommendation for the Lido is because it is more weather protected with the roof over the pool if it is cold, which it may well be windy/cold in May.   It sounds like the Retreat cabins may be too cold and windy for Alaska in May since there is no protection from the elements.  

Am I understanding all of that correctly?  

Thank you!

23 hours ago, 2TheSea4Me said:

Hi all!  I'm new to cruising and have had the desire to go to Alaska.  

I'm looking to go next May for a big birthday.   I'm realizing I should have booked a long time ago.  Anyway, I'm seeing we can do a 14 day inside cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam for about the same price as a 7 day balcony cruise.   I have "held" the 14 day inside cabin with HA.

Are we crazy to skip the balcony in Alaska?   Just seems like 14 days versus 7 is a whole lot of difference when we can go on deck and see a lot, plus see other port visits.

our very first cruise was a 14 day Mediterranean cruise which we did inside. I loved it but DW said no more only till we retire...Well she's retiring July 2025 and guess what? Balcony, and BTW all our cruises since then have been Balconies. If walking and stair climbing is not an issue I would do the 14 day, because you never know about coming back to ALASKA. good luck and enjoy either choice, which is going to be great. IT'S YOURS!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2TheSea4Me said:

We really love the cabana idea.  I've inquired on the Cabanas (and there are still some Lido cabanas available) and have also done a little bit of researching online.  

So there are Lido Cabanas and there are Retreat cabins.   I assume the recommendation for the Lido is because it is more weather protected with the roof over the pool if it is cold, which it may well be windy/cold in May.   It sounds like the Retreat cabins may be too cold and windy for Alaska in May since there is no protection from the elements.  

Thank you!

Yes, that's correct.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

What is your objective? Up to now I thought you were considering two either/or options. Do you take an inside cabin for 14 days or, for roughly the same price, a verandah cabin for 7 days? Now it appears that you're just looking for some dedicated place to hang out outside your inside cabin. The Retreat is secluded and comes with butler-like service but, like the verandah, is exposed to the elements. The Lido is exposed yet sheltered from the elements; it spares you the frustration of contending with the poolside chair hogs.

Have you looked into an Ocean View cabin?

• Like 1

Inside cabins for Alaska are perfect. When viewing glaciers being on deck is the best! 360 degree scenery. The Nieuw  Amsterdam has some inside square cabins, J category that are designed much better and laid out much better than the rectangular cabins. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

What is your objective? Up to now I thought you were considering two either/or options. Do you take an inside cabin for 14 days or, for roughly the same price, a verandah cabin for 7 days? Now it appears that you're just looking for some dedicated place to hang out outside your inside cabin. The Retreat is secluded and comes with butler-like service but, like the verandah, is exposed to the elements. The Lido is exposed yet sheltered from the elements; it spares you the frustration of contending with the poolside chair hogs.

Have you looked into an Ocean View cabin?

I have gone ahead and booked the 14 day cruise in an inside cabin.   My question on the cabana was just to determine if that would be a good complement to the inside cabin.  Prior to asking my initial question, I didn't know the cabana existed.  I should have maybe just posted a new question about the cabana.  

The ocean view didn't really appeal to me and there were very few available, and there were no balconies available on the HA site (balcony for 14 days would have likely been way too much for us).  

Sorry for any confusion.  Thank you!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2TheSea4Me said:

Thank you!

Yes, that is exactly why we take a Lido Cabana. Plus, you still are near everything that’s happening. On our July Alaska cruise there were more drizzly days than not. 

I didn't know the cabana existed.  I should have maybe just posted a new question about the cabana.  

No apology necessary, you're good. You had a question, someone suggested an additional option you might consider, and now you're exploring an option you weren't aware of. 

We were in Alaska for a week in early September a few years ago. The week preceding ours was very rainy and cold every day, while we had significantly warmer weather and almost no rain. Layers are your friend. 

Absent having a cabana, there's lots other places where you can take things in from tables in the Lido Marketplace buffet and at the poolside, etc., but the public spaces can get crowded.

On our 25-night Oosterdam trip, we sometimes asked people if we could join them at a table in the Lido buffet area as there were no empty ones available. We also made 'dates' with people we had met for dinners in the main dining room. We ended up having a range of experiences, most of them satisfactory or better. 

We have made friends with several couples who we have stayed in touch with following our cruises. 

However, while some people enjoy mingling, others really prefer not to. Many people travel with a companion or even their own group, and prefer not to interact with others. And much of this depends on your own preferences. 

As a card-carrying introvert, I've found myself surprised at how much I've enjoyed interacting with others on cruises. But again, it's not what everyone wants. 

Edited by Mike_and_Co

2 hours ago, Mike_and_Co said:

On our 25-night Oosterdam trip, we sometimes asked people if we could join them at a table in the Lido buffet area as there were no empty ones available. We also made 'dates' with people we had met for dinners in the main dining room. We ended up having a range of experiences, most of them satisfactory or better. 

. . . .

As a card-carrying introvert, I've found myself surprised at how much I've enjoyed interacting with others on cruises. But again, it's not what everyone wants. 

We have always welcomed another couple, previously unknown to us, to join us while Lido-ing (?) and when pressed for space have frequently asked another couple for permission to join them. We've yet to have a bad experience. Sometimes conversation is hindered by a language barrier but most often we have a great time. It's easy to strike up a conversation, even for an introvert. For example, where is home for you? how did you reach [the port of embarkation]? have you cruised before? on HAL? By that time the ball is rolling.

On 9/18/2024 at 1:03 PM, Petronillus said:

We have always welcomed another couple, previously unknown to us, to join us while Lido-ing (?) and when pressed for space have frequently asked another couple for permission to join them. We've yet to have a bad experience. 

Our first cruise was on very small ship where there were just as many chairs in the dining room as there were passengers; no more and no less. 

On our first night, we joined a retired gentleman who was travelling solo. He was well-educated, cheerful, and quite a warm, good-hearted person. Our conversation moved along quickly through the usual introductory subjects; hometowns, travel experiences, etc. 

I'm not clear if the main course had been served by the time he told us the tale of recently suffering a relatively serious medical emergency. It involved, ahem, a burst vessel in his stern compartment, so to speak. Now, just to be clear, his language was very direct, more in line with that found in a clinical environment. 

My wife and I were correspondingly surprised by his, er, frankness in sharing this story somewhere along the 10-minute mark of our first conversation. We both expressed our sympathies. 

As I say, he was a cheerful sort, and we still speak of him kindly after spending a week in the close quarters of our small ship and associated excursions. 

It wasn't anything we would call a bad experience, but it certainly wasn't on my Bingo card for our first-ever romantic cruise ship dinner as a couple. We still share a smile whenever we think of the experience. ; ) 

Edited by Mike_and_Co
  • Haha 4

On 9/17/2024 at 7:29 AM, sunviking90 said:

We just did this in an inside for 2 weeks on Nieuw Amsterdam. This was our first time in an inside in over 20 years I think and I was nervous about it. We’ve been to Alaska many times in a balcony and this was a last minute thing so we spun the wheel on a guarantee. We ended up with a K category and it was larger than many of the balcony cabins we’ve been in. Nieuw Amsterdam has many nice areas to lounge around outside of your cabin, and we enjoyed relaxing on the promenade or reading in the library. See if you can get a K category cabin for the extra space. 

What was your cabin number? Do you have pics? 

We used to cruise exclusively in Neptune Suites. And frequently purchased a Retreat cabana on top of that.

Then we did an ocean view cabin on the 2019 World Cruise. I was very worried about rough seas and “the more you pay, the more you sway.” We were fine in the OV.

Booked a 9 day Mexico cruise to test out an inside cabin and we loved it. So quiet and dark! We were hooked. Did the 2023 WC in one of the large J cabins on the Zuiderdam. It was much larger than the balcony and small suites (Vista or Signature?). Only the Neptune and Pinnacle suites are bigger. We had over 5’ between the foot of the bed and the closets. Plenty of room for me and my DH to do yoga and stretching. 

We booked another inside for the upcoming Pole to Pole-133 days. I don’t think we’ll ever book a Neptune or even a balcony again!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

What was your cabin number? Do you have pics? 

1115. I would warn it was a bit noisy at times as it was near crew work areas (you can see on the deck plan). It is also a connecting cabin, but we never heard a peep from next door. As we got it as guarantee, we didn’t mind. I especially liked the easy access to the closets. We are used to veranda cabins with them in the tight hallway. This was much nicer in that respect.

IMG_3686.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

…Booked a 9 day Mexico cruise to test out an inside cabin and we loved it. So quiet and dark! We were hooked. Did the 2023 WC in one of the large J cabins on the Zuiderdam. It was much larger than the balcony and small suites (Vista or Signature?). Only the Neptune and Pinnacle suites are bigger…I don’t think we’ll ever book a Neptune or even a balcony again!

After trying an Inside Cabin, it was such a positive experience, we haven’t booked elsewhere. Sometimes we’ll get an upgrade, but we’re perfectly happy in these more spacious rooms, too.

@2TheSea4Me we thoroughly enjoyed our 14 night Alaska cruise in an inside cabin. The itinerary was fantastic and we have such wonderful memories of that trip. Enjoy!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Alaska cruises & land trips are some of the most unique in the world . imo 14 days inside cabin is more to see & do . We encourage people to also do a self driving trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks  Alaska with a several day stop in Denali National Park . We have stayed at the Denali Lake vies inn  just 15 minute drive past the park entrance . It is a trip;e diamond triple AAA Bed ^ breakfast . over looking Lake Otto . Best deal in town ,very clean & inclides breakfast .Right next door is a  ATTV place to rent a Rhino to take a trip in the Tundra. 

If you cruise into Seward or the other port go on the internet & look for mini bus service from Anchorage . book it early & get better pricing . It is a fabulous road trip & do the animal Rehabilitation center tour  .It is definitely wortg while .  In Denali make sure you see the dog sled Demonstration . 

Have Fun & Enjoy  Alaska .We been there 5 times all in May 

• Thanks 2