WIFI Question, Please Help

danny8826

HI,

I understand that with MSC WIFI, it's one per device and you can't log in and out.  

I know I will be using my phone but not sure if I will be using my tablet much.  We will be on the MSC Euribia.  My question is, if I buy the one device plan (browse & stream) right now  and once onboard if I decide to get it for my tablet, does anyone know the price to add on a 2nd device for a 7 nights cruise?  Will I be able to buy for only the days that I will need?

Thank you,

Danny

3 hours ago, jcollin said:

Hi,

I just added the one device plan for a December cruise and it was $112.  Not sure what it is if you wait until you board but it's probably safe to assume 20% more so $134.

Ah OK.  Right now, I see on my cruise planner, the price for 1 device with browse and stream is $99 and with 2 devices is $189.

11 hours ago, danny8826 said:

HI,

I understand that with MSC WIFI, it's one per device and you can't log in and out.  

I know I will be using my phone but not sure if I will be using my tablet much. 

Thank you,

Danny

I thought that you may use any device, phone or table, if you sign out on one, then sign in on the other. That is the way I use mine recently. Any experience? TIA

16 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I thought that you may use any device, phone or table, if you sign out on one, then sign in on the other. That is the way I use mine recently. Any experience? TIA

They way you describe is how it works on NCL.  However, I've never heard of anyone on MSC who is able to sign off one device and sign onto another device using the same plan.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

They way you describe is how it works on NCL.  However, I've never heard of anyone on MSC who is able to sign off one device and sign onto another device using the same plan.

I do cruise MSC yearly. Before when I bought the Easy Plus Package I also got free WI-FI. Now they only offer the Easy Plus Pkg without the free Wi-Fi. Maybe that would be the difference.

What I would do - Login to my phone. Logout then let the wife Login. So, we only used on1 phone Wi-Fi at a time. 

Has anyone done this? I do this all the time on all the other lines.

.. found this on another forum ..

( copy/paste .. content not verified )

Device access and sharing: Access to the Wi-Fi service is tied to the first device connected for the entire cruise. If you have multiple devices or are traveling with others, you will need to purchase access for each device used simultaneously.

Sharing access: Unfortunately, sharing access between devices without purchasing access for each device is not possible. You can switch devices by logging out and logging in with another device, but each device will require its own access.

24 minutes ago, asctony said:

What difference would it really make if you paid for one Internet package and used it at different times on different devices? 

Is it just another way of making more revenue?

Apparently so.  However, that is MSC's way of doing it so if you sail with MSC, purchase a WiFi package, it is what you are accepting. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

I do cruise MSC yearly. Before when I bought the Easy Plus Package I also got free WI-FI. Now they only offer the Easy Plus Pkg without the free Wi-Fi. Maybe that would be the difference.

What I would do - Login to my phone. Logout then let the wife Login. So, we only used on1 phone Wi-Fi at a time. 

Has anyone done this? I do this all the time on all the other lines.

I have never heard of anyone having had success with this on MSC. If you need to transfer your login to a different device (accidentally logged in initially on one device without realizing the limitation), you have to take your device to the internet desk onboard and have them fix it for you, if possible.

You are correct that you can usually log out on one device and then in on another on every other cruise line, but MSC is different.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Apparently so.  However, that is MSC's way of doing it so if you sail with MSC, purchase a WiFi package, it is what you are accepting. 

Fully know what you are saying. 

However, do we not have a voice to request a change?

It does not cause them any extra work to allow us to use another device. 

41 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I have never heard of anyone having had success with this on MSC. If you need to transfer your login to a different device (accidentally logged in initially on one device without realizing the limitation), you have to take your device to the internet desk onboard and have them fix it for you, if possible.

You are correct that you can usually log out on one device and then in on another on every other cruise line, but MSC is different.

How would you have heard unless it was posted on here?

Yes, I know MSC IS DIFFERENT!

31 minutes ago, asctony said:

How would you have heard unless it was posted on here?

Yes, I know MSC IS DIFFERENT!

Right, I have not read any posts on these forums of people successfully logging out of one device and into another using MSC's wifi. I have read MANY accounts of people not being able to do that and witnessed it myself onboard. I have read mixed success stories of people being able to get the internet desk onboard to help them switch devices when they have mistakenly logged into the "wrong" device first, not knowing about/understanding the one-device limitation.

I can say from my own personal experience, this is a non-issue for me because my Pixel phone is capable of hot-spotting wifi, so I just connect to the wifi with my phone and then connect any additional devices to my phone's wifi. Unfortunately, most phones, including all iPhones, are incapable of doing this.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I can say from my own personal experience, this is a non-issue for me because my Pixel phone is capable of hot-spotting wifi, so I just connect to the wifi with my phone and then connect any additional devices to my phone's wifi. Unfortunately, most phones, including all iPhones, are incapable of doing this.

Thanks for your info and experience. This maybe a non-issue for you. However, there are many others which may be grateful if we could sign out and in on another device. This would not cost MSC anything to allow this option. 

9 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Thanks for your info and experience. This maybe a non-issue for you. However, there are many others which may be grateful if we could sign out and in on another device. This would not cost MSC anything to allow this option. 

Oh, I agree! I would love to see them change this and do as other cruise lines do. I was just saying I don't have much direct experience with the challenges of this because of my personal situation. All I can think is that they would need to do some sort of major technology shift on their ships to allow for this and that is why they haven't allowed for it?  Hopefully it is something they will fix in the near future!

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

All I can think is that they would need to do some sort of major technology shift on their ships to allow for thi

Actually, I think it is the opposite.  I believe they have put technology in place to create this situation.  Sound to me like they have implemented some form of dynamic port control so that only the mac address of the initial device is accepted.   This is something that is done a lot for security reasons on wired networks but MSC is the only place I have seen it done for wireless. 

• Like 1

I understand this is per device base, but that doesn't answer my questions.

I just wanted to know if anyone has bought one device to start and decided to add a 2nd device.  What is the cost for a 7 nights be?  Or can you buy only on the day you need?  Like I have 2 sea days out of the 7 day, can I just buy a day at a time?

44 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

I just wanted to know if anyone has bought one device to start and decided to add a 2nd device.  What is the cost for a 7 nights be? 

Here is what I am being quoted for our 7-day sailing

image.png.32f7370391136438972190d74acda39c.png

44 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Or can you buy only on the day you need?  Like I have 2 sea days out of the 7 day, can I just buy a day at a time?

I do not know if you can buy one day or at a time, I have no seen it advertised like that. 

I believe that you can buy during your cruise for the remaining days on your cruise but not sure when the cutoff date is.  Some other cruise lines will not sell if the cruise has three or fewer days left in the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think MSC sells one-day passes, but you can definitely purchase a plan onboard. Like others, I am not sure how late into the cruise that is feasible.

Once onboard you can buy wifi in 24/48/72 hour blocks, but it's far cheaper to prepay for the whole cruise.  Last cruise offered 24hr for 30€

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Here is what I am being quoted for our 7-day sailing

image.png.32f7370391136438972190d74acda39c.png

I do not know if you can buy one day or at a time, I have no seen it advertised like that. 

I believe that you can buy during your cruise for the remaining days on your cruise but not sure when the cutoff date is.  Some other cruise lines will not sell if the cruise has three or fewer days left in the cruise. 

Thank you for sharing.  It looks like yours costs more than mine.  

Here's mine.  

I likely will buy the 2 devices because other have said that it will cost more.  

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 9.03.28 AM.png

16 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think MSC sells one-day passes, but you can definitely purchase a plan onboard. Like others, I am not sure how late into the cruise that is feasible.

8 hours ago, notley-cruise said:

Once onboard you can buy wifi in 24/48/72 hour blocks, but it's far cheaper to prepay for the whole cruise.  Last cruise offered 24hr for 30€

Thank you.  In that case, I think I will likely buy it ahead of time to save some money.  No use to spend 30€ per day and if I buy it for 3 days (72 hrs), that's already 90€.  One device browse and stream cost me $98 and 2 device browse & cruise cost me $189.  For $91 more, I get a full 7 days vs 90€ for only 3 days.  

23 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Right, I have not read any posts on these forums of people successfully logging out of one device and into another using MSC's wifi. I have read MANY accounts of people not being able to do that and witnessed it myself onboard. I have read mixed success stories of people being able to get the internet desk onboard to help them switch devices when they have mistakenly logged into the "wrong" device first, not knowing about/understanding the one-device limitation.

Hi Jamie

So my question about wifi pertains to using a hotspot, my husband needs to use his laptop one day of our cruise for work. But he will want to have his cell phone connected to the wifi the rest of the time.

So if I understand you correctly, he can use his cellphone for his wifi than his cell's hotspot to connect his laptop to do his work real quick and this should work and not cost us more?

He has Verizon and a Pixel.

Thank you for your help!

6 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Hi Jamie

So my question about wifi pertains to using a hotspot, my husband needs to use his laptop one day of our cruise for work. But he will want to have his cell phone connected to the wifi the rest of the time.

So if I understand you correctly, he can use his cellphone for his wifi than his cell's hotspot to connect his laptop to do his work real quick and this should work and not cost us more?

He has Verizon and a Pixel.

Thank you for your help!

If he has a Pixel, he should be able to. You can test this at home with your own wifi. Disconnect the phone from your cellular network (you could do this by turning on airplane mode), then turn on wifi only. Connect to your home's wifi and then turn on the phone's hotspot functionality. On the laptop, connect to the wifi network created by the PHONE, not your home's wifi, and make sure you can connect to the internet on the laptop through the phone.