Can I take my pocket knife with me ?

Bobby Winds

I have a small pocket knife that is about the size of my baby finger. It has a small blade, nail file, scissors, tweezers and a tooth pick included in this very handy knife. I have had it for about 40 years and don't want to lose it if they won't allow it onboard. However, I would like to take it with me because it is so useful. I know the rules are no knifes over 4" and this doesn't come close but I also know the inspectors can be dumba$$ at times. 

Chances are if it's in your luggage it won't be an issue.  But for those of us who have been around awhile we know there are some port workers who are real idiots.  For a person like me who treasures small things like that that you have had for a lifetime I recommend you leave it at home.

You can go for a whole week without doing "MacGyver" stuff on the ship.  🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobby Winds said:

I have a small pocket knife that is about the size of my baby finger. It has a small blade, nail file, scissors, tweezers and a tooth pick included in this very handy knife. I have had it for about 40 years and don't want to lose it if they won't allow it onboard. However, I would like to take it with me because it is so useful. I know the rules are no knifes over 4" and this doesn't come close but I also know the inspectors can be dumba$$ at times. 

If you have an emotional attachment, leave it at home and get another which you don't mind losing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Chances are if it's in your luggage it won't be an issue.  But for those of us who have been around awhile we know there are some port workers who are real idiots.  For a person like me who treasures small things like that that you have had for a lifetime I recommend you leave it at home.

You can go for a whole week without doing "MacGyver" stuff on the ship.  🙂

Not if you have a rattling balcony door! In that case it’s full on MacGyver!

I used to travel with a pocket knife and never had a problem on NCL.

• Like 1

Assuming that if it's in your checked luggage (at airport and given to porters at the dock), you won't have any issues.  Yeah, I've had my tiny key chain pocket knife confiscated by TSA, but scissors stored in my toiletries kit in my checked bag: no problem.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Not if you have a rattling balcony door! In that case it’s full on MacGyver!

I used to travel with a pocket knife and never had a problem on NCL.

Yes the little knife can do many things. Like the scissors can cut a loose hanging thread on ones pants or the file can be used as a straight slot screw driver to tighten a loose screw. And the tweezers can be used for many things including remove a ingrown hair while shaving a a sliver in your foot.

32 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Assuming that if it's in your checked luggage (at airport and given to porters at the dock), you won't have any issues.  Yeah, I've had my tiny key chain pocket knife confiscated by TSA, but scissors stored in my toiletries kit in my checked bag: no problem.

No plane to get to the port. We are travelling on a AAA bus tour from Buffalo to NYC.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

No plane to get to the port. We are travelling on a AAA bus tour from Buffalo to NYC.

Yikes, that's a brutal bus ride.  Wave when you pass my neighborhood. 

Store the knife into your toiletries bag along with comb, deodorant, etc.  Put said bag in your larger luggage that you hand to the porter at Pier 88.  Have a great cruise!!

2 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Yikes, that's a brutal bus ride.  Wave when you pass my neighborhood. 

Store the knife into your toiletries bag along with comb, deodorant, etc.  Put said bag in your larger luggage that you hand to the porter at Pier 88.  Have a great cruise!!

We are expecting a smooth ride.......we stop in Rochester and Syracuse to pick up more AAA members before heading the NYC. 

In previous years we took bus tours to Cape Cod and another to Newport, RI......great not driving and just looking out the window or listening to my cell phone / radio using my headset. For under 2k we see a LOT of NE with local guides everywhere and had fantastic meals included. Look up Maestro Tours out of Buffalo. If the bus goes by your way they will stop and pick you up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

Hey Bobby

If you have questions on prohibited items, look at the prohibited items list that is in your reservation. 

Random stories from people are irrelevant. What is relevant is the policy. 

That being said, the port personnel scanning luggage do t work for NCL. They work for the port. They will work on an NCL one day and may work a Carnival or Royal the next day. So what they flag is often random since every cruise line has different policies. 

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

1. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If it's important to you, leave it home as there is a chance you may get a security person who is overly zealous.  I speak from personal experience with the NY port for an NCL cruise.  I had a small screw driver set that I received from some company's promotion; small plastic case, maybe 1 1/2" by 2" in size with a handle and different types of screwdriver attachments in it in my purse.  I wasn't planning on taking the ship apart, and in all honesty thought nothing of having it as it was always in my bag.  Sure enough the security person confiscated it, only because she could not understand why I had it, even though it resembles nothing on the list of prohibited items.