Cruise Embarkation at a Different Port

dwetter1

We are on the Norwegian Jewel out of Tampa on Dec 12 on a 11 night cruise. My 20 year old granddaughter has a semester final exam scheduled late that day. Our plan  is to fly her to Key West on the 13th to board the ship there. Norwegian will not pre-approve this saying they only allow down port boardings on an emergency basis. 
Has anyone had a similar situation.  
I am nervous that they will not allow her on board in Key West. Any advice would be appreciated.  

20 minutes ago, dwetter1 said:

I am nervous that they will not allow her on board in Key West. Any advice would be appreciated.  

Unless it's planned in advance there may not be the proper government officials there to allow for boarding.

23 minutes ago, dwetter1 said:

Norwegian will not pre-approve this saying they only allow down port boardings on an emergency basis.

I would not consider this an emergency, and unless it's pre-planned/approved with NCL she will be considered a no-show and would not be allowed to board.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Assuming the ship returns to Tampa, this would be a violation of the PVSA.

I was going to make the same comment, but look where it visits.  I believe Aruba and Curaçao make it such that this would NOT violate the PVSA.. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

She would be better off trying to work with the school to do her exam early than to expect a cruise line to make this type of exception. 

And this can go either way. Some large universities have departmental exams for everyone same time same day (usually at night/weekends). No changes. Some of my kids have been allowed (one had to go to the department dean to attend her grandfathers funeral), some denied.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where the thread is, but there was someone who decided they would embark in Akureyri, Iceland instead of Reykjavik. Well, that day came and the ship couldn't dock in Akureyri, so they missed the cruise.

If for whatever reason the Jewel can't dock at Key West, your grandaughter would be stuck there.

Her exam is more important. If she can't reschedule it, I would say she can't go on the cruise.

2 hours ago, dwetter1 said:

Norwegian will not pre-approve this saying they only allow down port boardings on an emergency basis. 
Has anyone had a similar situation.  

Who is "they"?  I'm pretty sure NCL has allowed passengers to embark/disembark at alternative ports, depending on the itinerary. And will give prior approval (that was made abundantly clear by the person @Ellis1138 was referring to LOL). Doesn't seem like there would be any violation of PVSA and no customs involvement (assuming you are US citizens).

I believe the person to contact would be Katy Byrd - email is kbyrd ncl com.

I believe that the reference to Akureyri is more complicated than indicated.   I have a feeling that the persons concerned were on a B2B.   They got off in Akureyri and intended to get back on when the ship had been into Reykjavik and returned to Akureyri.   What they were doing was missing the boat at one port and rejoining at the "next" port.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

She would be better off trying to work with the school to do her exam early than to expect a cruise line to make this type of exception. 

That sounds like good advice. 

55 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

I believe that the reference to Akureyri is more complicated than indicated.   I have a feeling that the persons concerned were on a B2B. 

Yes, they were on a B2B, not the situation here. But what the poster above was flagging about that situation was the risk that the ship won’t be able to dock at the port where the guest intends to board, which could happen on any cruise. 

In any event, whether NCL has given another guest permission to join a cruise at a port other than the embarkation port is not relevant here. The only relevant factor is whether NCL will give permission in this case, for this cruise, at this port.  

• Like 3