MAS details and thoughts

jds2001

27 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

@jds2001 I just want to clarify how this affects my 15 day Panama Canal cruise in March. We have just the regular FAS and have no plans to change over to MAS.

Since we have the FAS drink package, my understanding is we keep this but we will get the benefit of MAS of not having a $15 cap and no changes to the gratuities we already paid?

With FAS we have 3 specialty dining meals--will we still have these with no changes to the gratuities we already paid?  Will we have the 3 apps, 1 entree, 3 desserts as listed on MAS or will it be the same as FAS has always been?

With FAS we have 300 minutes of wifi, will we still get this or will they downgrade us to 150 minutes like the MAS is?

I appreciate all your insight on this new promotion.

Yep, you’ll still have your 300 minutes and the MAS beverage package with no change to what you’ve already paid. 

I don’t know for a fact about the meal inclusions for FAS vs. MAS, but as a practical matter it would seem impossible to police what package people are under for more than a year. I’d imagine it will all be the same, but time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm really interested to see how this plays out for reserving restaurants that will now be cover charge using your latitude reward certificates. I know some other people have already commented with the same query. I'm also really interested to see how it plays out for places like Pinchos and Food Republic. For my upcoming cruise in April, I am the only platinum level traveler in a group of four, and I was hoping to use one platinum voucher (for two diners) to take everyone to Food Republic and split the eight dishes that I would get with the platinum voucher. Only time will tell if this will still be allowed.

• Like 1

It seems that NCL wanted to reduce the available options from two (FAS and FAS+) to only one (MAS)

I guess there are some real savings on the organizational side or somewhere else in the background. If they just wanted to make more money they could have simply raised the charges for FAS+

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moviegal said:

So it's really those of us who always purchased the Free At Sea+ that are getting screwed -- no more bottles of wine with dinner, no more super premium spirits and wines (I always upgraded just for the high quality Scotch and Champagne), no more unlimited bottled water or unlimited Starbucks included either. We always made great use of the unlimited wifi and devices as well, as we both have to work while cruising. This is NOT an improvement for FAS+ folks. Quite disappointed here, especially because we can't even upgrade to the additional specialty meal package anymore since it doesn't exist! I sure hope NCL comes up with a "More At Sea +" product too.

I want to see the list of alcohol on the MAS list before I make a judgement on it the FAS+ are getting screwed.  I purchased the FAS+ for the higher end whiskey/scotch and wines.  If most of the items move the the MAS and the ultra premium are the ones not included, the almost $200 saving is worth it to me.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Melody7 said:

I'm really interested to see how this plays out for reserving restaurants that will now be cover charge using your latitude reward certificates.

As are we.

We are more concerned with actually being able to get a reservation with so many more people having so many more meals to use. 

Like @CruisnDeb, we are doing a 15 night Panama in March so 5 meals there, plus the 2 for our latitudes status - guessing we need to book asap!

• Like 2

There won’t be a connoisseur package for purchase. High end spirits wines and champagnes will be placed in a connoisseur group and if you want them you have to pay the amount over $15.00. All this at the same time they are telling us no drink cap amount. But then again we are getting less but being told it’s more. Those like me who booked FAS+ lose out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eno said:

There won’t be a connoisseur package for purchase. High end spirits wines and champagnes will be placed in a connoisseur group and if you want them you have to pay the amount over $15.00. All this at the same time they are telling us no drink cap amount. But then again we are getting less but being told it’s more. Those like me who booked FAS+ lose out. 

Would it not work out to take the refund from the FAS+ and use it to purchase the pricier drinks?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Would it not work out to take the refund from the FAS+ and use it to purchase the pricier drinks?

The problem in my case is all of the $6 bottles of water I drink every day.  FAS+ more than pays for itself with my use.

• Like 7

I think that NCL will add a MAS+ option when they see loss in revenue from excursions (people with the FAS+ were willing to book through NCL because of the extra $50). Also people might skip the dining package - $120 for two people is too much compared to what it was before.  I think that most people will sign up for the drink package at $30 pppd for a 7-day cruise.

Just now, macewank said:

The problem in my case is all of the $6 bottles of water I drink every day.  FAS+ more than pays for itself with my use.

Just do what we do and bring a reusable water bottle. It saves plastic. Water is definitely not something I worry about not getting enough of, on a cruise ship. It's plentiful, and free. 😊

• Like 5

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Just do what we do and bring a reusable water bottle. It saves plastic. Water is definitely not something I worry about not getting enough of, on a cruise ship. It's plentiful, and free. 😊

Tap and box water tastes like junk though.  I drink the fancy bottle stuff. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmele999 said:

I think that NCL will add a MAS+ option when they see loss in revenue from excursions (people with the FAS+ were willing to book through NCL because of the extra $50). Also people might skip the dining package - $120 for two people is too much compared to what it was before.  I think that most people will sign up for the drink package at $30 pppd for a 7-day cruise.

That's a rather pessimist forecast, not to mention premature since they only rolled this out today. Give it time before assuming the worst, maybe?

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's a rather pessimist forecast, not to mention premature since they only rolled this out today. Give it time before assuming the worst, maybe?

You are probably correct, but even people with the FAS are now asked to pay more for better alcohol.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmele999 said:

You are probably correct, but even people with the FAS are now asked to pay more for better alcohol.  

I mean, it kind of depends, doesn't it? The definition of "better" varies from person to person. My wife likes Grey Goose (which is now included), but some don't like that. I happen to like certain wines that wine snobs turn their nose up at. It all depends on your tastes.

10 minutes ago, jmele999 said:

people might skip the dining package - $120 for two people is too much compared to what it was before.  I think that most people will sign up for the drink package at $30 pppd for a 7-day cruise.

That's exactly what we will do.  We have a couple of Platinum meals anyway and, beyond that, I am fine with the complimentary venues.  No shortage of food on a cruise ship so I won't feel any need to pay for extra food unless it is very inexpensive.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It’s annoying that they say that water packages are still available to purchase.

We don’t want a whole load of cartons of still water delivered to my room at the start of the cruise. We want pelegrino with our meals or when we are at a bar (it’s recommended - and also nice - to drink water along with alcoholic drinks), and there is no package that offers that.

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Amen.  I am a major consumer of Pellegrino at home and have always been annoyed that beverages that are far more expensive would be included in the FAS drink package but not still/sparkling waters.  Seems nonsensical, especially since I then order the (free) Prosecco instead which surely costs NCL more. I was hoping the new MAS would correct this.

I’m with both of you. I have no interest in having cartons of bottled water in my cabin, but I do like to have San Pellegrino or another sparkling water with lunch and dinner. It’s never made any sense to me that FAS allows me to order alcoholic beverages but not a less expensive sparkling water. 

• Like 5

It's irritating that for those of us who had upgraded to FAS+ and are paid up on our upcoming cruise past the refund deadline that they change the rules like that without an out for the customer. We are booked on a January 14 night cruise. Had paid for the FAS+ package. Now I will get my $1372 refund but will have to pay $550 for two for the Starbucks package, and $700 for unlimited basic internet. So let's call it a wash. but then I don't have the benefit of premium alcohol, or water. And I can't cancel the cruise. Real sucky.

I'm sure the terms and conditions have some clause that permits them to do this. It's just a bit anti consumerist in my opinion and leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth. I have additional bookings in 2025 and 2026 that I'm compelled to reconsider. 

• Like 5

It does seem like an overall improvement for people but there are winners and losers

On the face of it, the drinks package seems a slight improvement. I think it depends on what this "Connoisseur Collection". If you aren't fussy on your brands, I suspect you'll do well, but if you drink a lot of the absolute top shelf stuff, it will now cost you more. I'm pleased that I'll get the MAS drink benefits for my FAS booking in Feb.

Specialty dinning seems an improvement, extra meals, extra starters/desserts

Wifi is a downgrade from me. The only winners are the cabins with 3 & 4 guests on shorter cruisers. I'm a solo on a 12 night cruise and thankfully on FAS I get 300 mins, but on MAS I would only get 150 mins. I think measuring internet in mins is just silly anyway, it should be in GBs. I don't see why if you're waiting for someone to reply on WhatsApp, it should cost you. It would be so much more convenient to just leave your phone on all the time and use your data when you want. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Punky Guy said:

I think measuring internet in mins is just silly anyway, it should be in GBs.

Agreed, it's absurd to measure WiFi usage in minutes, especially when at-sea connections are often quite slow.  It's really disappointing that MAS continues to use minutes as a measurement, and really disappointing that it's decreasing the minutes for longer cruises.  What's needed are reasonably priced (or included!) unlimited plans.    

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 5

We have 2 cruises in February that are booked through the Sydney office.   On each we will have 2 FaS Specialty meals and the 2 Latitude meals.

Am I right in assuming that we will be treated at each one in exactly the same way as previously?

What about similar meals during 4 booked cruises in November and December 2025?

Thanks

Mike

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Depends on what you're drinking.  I get double Hennessey xo and macallan, which cost $100.  The $400 cost of FAS+ was a bargain in comparison.  This is for my 10 day cruise next year 

• Like 3