MAS details and thoughts

jds2001

1 hour ago, Punky Guy said:

It does seem like an overall improvement for people but there are winners and losers

On the face of it, the drinks package seems a slight improvement. I think it depends on what this "Connoisseur Collection". If you aren't fussy on your brands, I suspect you'll do well, but if you drink a lot of the absolute top shelf stuff, it will now cost you more. I'm pleased that I'll get the MAS drink benefits for my FAS booking in Feb.

The drink package may or may not cost you more.  

First, you're saving $29 plus $5.80 gratuitey (total $34.80) PPPD.

Second, you get a $15 credit per drink.

It's not clear without specific drinks and quantities whether you win or lose money.

I have two cruises booked.  One for 2025 and one for 2026.

I was considering upgrading the drink packages only to FAS+.

Now, I'll get the MAS for both cruises instead of the FAS.

MAS will save me $490 on each cruise.

I will still get two specialty dinners.  We were considering only using one on each cruise.

Couldn't care less about WIFI and shore excursions.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jds2001 said:

It seems NCL screwed the pooch on keeping it under wraps until 9:30AM, so here goes my previously written post on this.

Now that it can be officially discussed, here are some thoughts on the ACTUAL changes with MAS.

TL; DR - this is a good evolution to FAS; it eliminates the idea that you’re paying “gratuities” on something and introduces much more straightforward pricing.

First, this REPLACES FAS wholesale. The program’s structure is mostly unchanged, but the inclusions are very different in both the beverage and dining package, and the pricing has slightly increased. The concept that you are just paying gratuities on some (fake) retail value is gone, and as before you can accept or reject individual pieces of the package.

There is now only one alcoholic beverage package available, and it is more akin (but not identical) to the old Premium Plus Beverage Package, and the cost is dependent on the length of sailing. For a 1-7 day sailing, it is $30/pp/day; for an 8-11 night sailing, it is $27/pp/day; and for a 12+ night sailing, it is $23/pp/day. This applies to guests 1-8 in the cabin as it does today. Bottled water and Starbucks are not included in this package; however, the separate Starbucks and water packages remain available for purchase. The materials that NCL sent out said that this package would cover 90% of beverage brands available on board. For brands that are not included, you will receive a $15 discount with the package, as you do today.

With this change, effective 1/1/25, the Premium Plus Beverage Package and Free at Sea Plus upgrades are no longer available. If they have been purchased previously, they will be refunded to the original form of payment. All guests who opted for a beverage package, whether at FAS or MAS pricing, will receive the MAS beverage package. This is the ONLY component that changes for existing reservations.

With this change, taxes will be waived on food and beverage in US ports, on EU sailings, or in Spanish/Italian waters. This is a welcome change that will eliminate nuisance charges.

If you don’t purchase the beverage package pre-sailing, it will be available for purchase onboard for the first two days at $89/pp/day.

Next is the specialty dining. All venues are moving to a "cover charge" (and we can gnash our teeth about the meaning of that phrase), more properly known as a prix fixe menu. Additional specialty dining packages are no longer offered; however, any packages already purchased will be honored. The prix fixe menu offers three appetizers, one main course, and three desserts.

The number and prices of meals in the package have changed as well. First, the meals are $20/ea, and the number included depends on cabin category and length of sailing. For Oceanview and below, for a 12+ night sailing, you get 3 meals; 8-11 nights 2 meals; and for 3-7 nights one meal. For a balcony and above, for a 12+ night cruise, you get 5 meals, 8-11 4 meals, 7 nights you get 3 meals, 4-6 nights 2 meals, and 3 nights 1 meal. As mentioned, additional nights beyond this are not available for purchase any longer, and you would have to pay the cover charge at each restaurant.

What is the cover charge? For steak, Teppanyaki, French, and seafood restaurants, it is $60; for Brazil, Asian, Food Republic, and sushi, it is $50; and for Italian, Mexican, BBQ, and Pincho(??), it is $40. This could represent a saving over today. Additional packages were around $50/night, so you can use your package meals for Cagney’s and Le Bistro, for example, and pay for the cheaper ones.

Now for the less good change for long voyages. WiFi has simultaneously increased and decreased. What do I mean by that? The number of minutes has been decreased for long sailings to 150, but it now applies to every guest in the stateroom, not just the first 2. For short sailings (3-6 nights) it remains at 75 minutes, and for 7 nights and longer, 150 minutes. There remains no charge for this.

The $50 per tour shore excursion credit is unchanged; however, with the elimination of FAS+ it now applies to only the first person in the stateroom with no opportunity to upgrade. BOGO airfare is also unchanged, as well as the 3rd and 4th guest for free of $99 (plus port charges) for select sailings.

In conclusion, I think that this is a logical evolution of the program, and there are some missteps in it, but not much (notably the elimination of FAS+). I hold out hope that a MAS+ will be introduced at some point in the future.

Are you sure the part about taxes in US ports is true?  I see in the terms and conditions that Spain and the EU were

mentioned, but where did you see that US ports wouldn’t charge tax on drinks?

2 hours ago, Doc Dunga said:

Now I will get my $1372 refund but will have to pay $550 for two for the Starbucks package, and $700 for unlimited basic internet

where did you see that you have to get the FAS+ refunded?  I'm confused because I understand it that if you've already booked with FAS+, you get to keep it.

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

where did you see that you have to get the FAS+ refunded?  I'm confused because I understand it that if you've already booked with FAS+, you get to keep it.

IMG_7843.thumb.jpeg.7c2e8b7dc2c0a77409c6b53404f18d63.jpeg

this is from Reddit so take it for what it’s worth but it’s also accurate per my TA’s convo with their sales manager for our region. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Dunga said:

IMG_7843.thumb.jpeg.7c2e8b7dc2c0a77409c6b53404f18d63.jpeg

this is from Reddit so take it for what it’s worth but it’s also accurate per my TA’s convo with their sales manager for our region. 

thanks.  I think I may be confused by what you can keep and what you can't.  Maybe it's you can keep free at see if you already have it booked, but maybe not any upgrades.  I checked my June cruise, and the price hasn't been adjusted to remove my FAS+ yet, so I'll just wait and see what happens.  I guess I would then get the expanded drink offerings but at the current FAS price.  Guess I'll just wait and see what happens

This really ticks me off. I upgraded my BF and I because of the bottled water, fresh OJ, Starbucks and especially because my BF likes to drink Blantons. My guess is Blantons won't be on the new program. My FAS+ has been removed from my March cruise already.

Funny though...when I went to do a dummy booking for an excursion we were interested in, we still both got the $50 credit. If they are really taking that away, I guess I'll be looking at doing more independent excursions.

• Like 3

I noticed on the Latitudes Rewards benefits, a discount on "Open Bar Package."  Previously, this was a false benefit because it assumed someone declined the FAS beverage package and bought the identical ~$100/day one, which is nonsensical.  I wonder if this now applies to the $30/day MAS beverages?

I mock booked and (answering my own question) it appears that the answer is no, because beverages came up as $210 for the 7 day cruise, as opposed to a 45% discount from that.  Bummer!

Edited by phillygwm

I guess we will see how it goes. I know on my last cruise the beer selection was very minimal, just about all lagers/pilsners. Maybe a blue moon here or there and a cider. no ipas, hefewiezens, guiness, hoegaarden was no longer on draft. Will they be bringing on whiskies and other liquors they used to or are they just starting off where they left off? Overall, this unfortunately looks like a plan ncl can continually raise prices on over time as they see fit, and even reduce offerings as well. 

Dining sounds interesting, Cant believe what they have been asking for moderno lately as the food quality keeps on going down. I dont mind charging more for specialty as i hope the quality goes up. Too much free has to degrade overall quality. 

6 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I noticed on the Latitudes Rewards benefits, a discount on "Open Bar Package."  Previously, this was a false benefit because it assumed someone declined the FAS beverage package and bought the identical ~$100/day one, which is nonsensical.  I wonder if this now applies to the $30/day MAS beverages?

I mock booked and (answering my own question) it appears that the answer is no, because beverages came up as $210 for the 7 day cruise, as opposed to a 45% discount from that.  Bummer!

It would be off the retail price if not purchased with MAS - which is $89/day, available during the first two days of the sailing

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

It would be off the retail price if not purchased with MAS - which is $89/day, available during the first two days of the sailing

I figured it was too good to be true.  I'm still trying to figure out why that is even offered.  Why would anyone take an $89 package when they can get the identical package for $30?  I sorta understood before, because it became the basis for the bar "gratuity."

Edited by phillygwm

23 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

Nope. I called today and also asked on chat. I was told the brands of alcohol will basically be what used to be included on the premium package. 

I  hope it includes the Duckhorn Merlot. I was going to upgrade to FAS+ just to drink my weight in Duckhorn. 🙂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phillygwm said:

I figured it was too good to be true.  I'm still trying to figure out why that is even offered.  Why would anyone take an $89 package when they can get the identical package for $30?

Umm, they wouldn't? The only thing that I can think of is some novice that they can fleece for more money onboard, since you can't change MAS (I almost typed FAS there ard caught myself!) selections within 24 hours of sailing.

Consider this. 
NCL had to cancel the FAS and FAS+ beverage packages and put everyone on the MAS beverage package. 
Otherwise bar service would have been unmanageable. On any given cruise in 2025 and 2026 there would have been three beverage packages. 
That would be a nightmare for bartenders. This could result in three different prices for the same drink.

Simple solution. One drink package. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Consider this. 
NCL had to cancel the FAS and FAS+ beverage packages and put everyone on the MAS beverage package. 
Otherwise bar service would have been unmanageable. On any given cruise in 2025 and 2026 there would have been three beverage packages. 
That would be a nightmare for bartenders. This could result in three different prices for the same drink.

Simple solution. One drink package. 

Except this is objectively incorrect.  NCL has already stated that anyone who has FAS on a 2025+ sailing is getting MAS instead (with no additional cost).

The hangup is FAS+, which if they hadn't canceled, means there would be the same exact 2 package situation that exists today.

The bartenders look at your card and see letters and know what is and isn't included.  It's not difficult.

Edited by macewank

I have a 2026 cruise booked with the FAS package, so I called NCL due to conflicting reports on You Tube. My question was if I would be upgraded to the MAS. The answer was no. The rep repriced my cruise with the MAS to compare, and it came out $400.00 higher to get the MAS. Thanks, but no thanks.

51 minutes ago, v3cruiser said:

.....Dining sounds interesting, Cant believe what they have been asking for moderno lately as the food quality keeps on going down. I dont mind charging more for specialty as i hope the quality goes up. Too much free has to degrade overall quality. 

We can hope quality goes up.  However, a few months ago they removed several of our favorite items from the specialty menus.  (Many posts here about it.)  Might be harder to find those 'three appetizers' they are advertising with the new MAS dining.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deliver42 said:

I have a 2026 cruise booked with the FAS package, so I called NCL due to conflicting reports on You Tube. My question was if I would be upgraded to the MAS. The answer was no. The rep repriced my cruise with the MAS to compare, and it came out $400.00 higher to get the MAS. Thanks, but no thanks.

Your beverage package will be the MAS beverage package, but the remainder of the package remains unchanged.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

What "upgrades" did you have in mind?  Other than an extra specialty dining on some itineraries, is there anything else that would be considered an upgrade?

The beverage package is certainly an upgrade, unless you had FAS+ then it's a decided downgrade.

3 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

The beverage package is certainly an upgrade, unless you had FAS+ then it's a decided downgrade.

They've already said that those with FAS will automatically receive the MAS drink treatment.  So, there isn't any "upgrade" to be had there.  The other poster said "upgraded to MAS," which I'm just not seeing.  You can pay a more and maybe get one more specialty meal.  That's really not much of an upgrade, now is it?

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They've already said that those with FAS will automatically receive the MAS drink treatment.  So, there isn't any "upgrade" to be had there.  The other poster said "upgraded to MAS," which I'm just not seeing.  You can pay a more and maybe get one more specialty meal.  That's really not much of an upgrade, now is it?

Oh, it's most certainly not an "upgrade" as such. I interpreted it as "will there be any changes from what I got before to what I will get come 1/1/25 if I do nothing else to the reservation?"

In my mind, there's no point in paying the additional fees to change the amenities to the full MAS program, I think we're on the same page here 🙂

Everyone's getting screwed.  It'll cost $155 more for 2 ppl for the drinks & 2 dinners each in a balcony...3 dinners $195 more for 7 days.  So many couples will be spending $195 more on average each cruise than they would have without the changes.

Edited by Something fun!
  • Like 1