Dock workers strike?

tucho

3 hours ago, JoeMo said:

The "Banana Boat" docks just up the way from Jubilee, but they may be in short supply due to the strike.☹️

Del Monte has moved to Freeport, Texas and MSC is building the 4th terminal in that space.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/development/2024/02/12/port-of-galveston-to-get-4th-terminal-complex/

Edited by BallFour4

9 hours ago, staceyglow said:

John Heald posted on Facebook this morning that Carnival does not expect to be impacted by the strike. 

Everyone including cruise lines will be impacted if it lasts a long time as there will be a problem with supplies. If it is over quickly, cruise lines should not be impacted at all.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Actually I believe it has been settled.

From CNN.com:

The union agreed to extend the contract it had with the United States Maritime Alliance, the management group known as USMX. That deal, which had expired at the end of Monday, will be now extended until January 15 and have the union members back on the job while the final details are worked out in a full agreement that will need to be ratified by the rank-and-file

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually I believe it has been settled.

The wage issue has been settled, but they are continuing to negotiate about the automation of the ports, which is one of the top sticking points to a new contract.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

Nothing has been settled, just delayed. This is just an extension until January, not a new contract.

I believe they settled for a 62% raise. But the other items will be addressed in January.

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/US/dockworkers-strike-suspended-sources/story?id=114445386

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

Nothing has been settled, just delayed. This is just an extension until January, not a new contract.

As was posted already, I believe the wages portion has been settled. As for the rest, no one has to have any worries until mid-January. And then at the last moment, it will be settled, delayed, or a strike. But basically in labor disputes, nothing gets settled until the last minute.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As was posted already, I believe the wages portion has been settled. As for the rest, no one has to have any worries until mid-January. And then at the last moment, it will be settled, delayed, or a strike. But basically in labor disputes, nothing gets settled until the last minute.

I'd say it's been agreed to, not settled... Because nothing is settled until the contract is signed.

9 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I'd say it's been agreed to, not settled... Because nothing is settled until the contract is signed.

Right, from what I understand, the workers have from now until January to vote on the wages and the rest will be decided later. It could surely go south if the dock workers vote down the wage increase and stick to 70%. But I don't think Bentley J Goldchain thought the strike would be so unpopular as it was. He needed a win.

Just now, pc_load_letter said:

Right, from what I understand, the workers have from now until January to vote on the wages and the rest will be decided later. It could surely go south if the dock workers vote down the wage increase and stick to 70%. But I don't think Bentley J Goldchain thought the strike would be so unpopular as it was. He needed a win.

In regards to all who have started threads about the dockworkers striking and will it affect their upcoming cruise, it is settled. In regards to all of us who might worry about rising prices and shortages, it is at least momentarily settled.

And I guess technically it is a tentative agreement until the union membership votes and approves the new contract terms.