Princess Cruise Exercise Classes Can Be Dangerous

Rramig1

I am on the Majestic and went to stretch class. I am 63 and pretty out of shape, but figured a stretch class shouldn't be too much. Everyone in the class was definitely 50+ with several probably in their 70s. 

There was virtually no adaptation for those of use with limitations. One lady asked if she could use a chair and was told no (as she has difficulty getting off the floor). A couple of us, including myself, had knee replacements and can not get on our knees. No offer of alternatives from the teacher on what we can do instead. 

If I had tried to follow along with the instructor, I would definitely have hurt myself. 

I don't understand how they can hire instructors teaching to individuals 50+ and not train them to include alternatives to the exercises they are doing such as from a chair, sitting instead of kneeling, slightly bend the knee if needed to reduce stress on the lower back, etc. None of this was shared. 

If you are someone who regularly exercises, then the classes would probably be great for you. But if anyone is going on and doesn't regularly do the exercises offered (yoga, pilates mat, floor stretching, etc.), then I would strongly recommend staying out of the classes! If you do attend, make sure you are only doing as much as you can and adapt yourself when needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Rramig1 said:

I am on the Majestic and went to stretch class. I am 63 and pretty out of shape, but figured a stretch class shouldn't be too much. Everyone in the class was definitely 50+ with several probably in their 70s. 

There was virtually no adaptation for those of use with limitations. One lady asked if she could use a chair and was told no (as she has difficulty getting off the floor). A couple of us, including myself, had knee replacements and can not get on our knees. No offer of alternatives from the teacher on what we can do instead. 

If I had tried to follow along with the instructor, I would definitely have hurt myself. 

I don't understand how they can hire instructors teaching to individuals 50+ and not train them to include alternatives to the exercises they are doing such as from a chair, sitting instead of kneeling, slightly bend the knee if needed to reduce stress on the lower back, etc. None of this was shared. 

If you are someone who regularly exercises, then the classes would probably be great for you. But if anyone is going on and doesn't regularly do the exercises offered (yoga, pilates mat, floor stretching, etc.), then I would strongly recommend staying out of the classes! If you do attend, make sure you are only doing as much as you can and adapt yourself when needed.  

They are basic fitness classes, not physical therapy sessions, and they're not for everyone.  ANY exercise class can be dangerous if you're not in good physical condition.

Should other participants not have the class they signed up for in order to accommodate guests who shouldn't take the class? (you stated you were elderly and out of shape) No.

Would you have been there if it weren't included in the package?  Only you know your limits, not anyone else. No need to blame Princess.

I don't expect any fitness class to adapt to limitations, unless it's a physical therapy session. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Actually, I appreciate the heads up.

Given the average P passenger age, and the new “included” fare that nearly everyone purchases, it’s reasonable to think that Princess might offer a Beginner/Gentle/Senior option for these classes. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I would question if the insturctors have any specialized training other than possibly being dancers in the shows.  

Having taken many exercise classes over the years I know for a fact that a good teacher can find alternatives to almost any  exercise  to fit your fitness level.   Anyone that tells you , No , you cant use a bench or a chair is just wrong.   I would get up and leave.   You will only hurt yourself. I'm 78 years old and do classes on a regular basis.

Edited by waltd
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, waltd said:

I would question if the insturctors have any specialized training other than possibly being dancers in the shows.  

Having taken many exercise classes over the years I know for a fact that a good teacher can find alternatives to almost any  exercise  to fit your fitness level.   Anyone that tells you , No , you cant use a bench or a chair is just wrong.   I would ge tup and leave.   You will only hurt yourself. I'm 78 years old and do classes on a regular basis.

They're fitness instructors. Not part of the entertainment staff (dancers). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The OP said it was a stretch class.   A good instructor will keep an eye on the class and make sure everyone is able to do something.   Give me a break.  Its a cruise.  Every shape, size and age.    Must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for insturctors.  Maybe they need to post age resitrictions or fitness level. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

They are basic fitness classes, not physical therapy sessions, and they're not for everyone.  ANY exercise class can be dangerous if you're not in good physical condition.

Should other participants not have the class they signed up for in order to accommodate guests who shouldn't take the class? (you stated you were elderly and out of shape) No.

Would you have been there if it weren't included in the package?  Only you know your limits, not anyone else. No need to blame Princess.

I don't expect any fitness class to adapt to limitations, unless it's a physical therapy session. 

This was the OPs second post. I think your reply is uncalled for. They gave an honest and helpful bit of information.  I sincerely hope you retract your comment. 

@Rramig1 I am sorry for your experience.  I agree with others that any decent well trained fitness instructor will give adaptations to meet the various needs presented in the class. This has always been my experience.  

You can always speak to the person doing the classes about this.  If they can’t offer an option ask who their manager is and ask again for other options. If that person offers nothing ask who THEIR manager is and ask again. Always smile, always be polite but continue to ask going up the food chain.  I’d keep a little record of the names and dates and responses.  If I didn’t end up getting a satisfactory outcome I’d use this information in my end of cruise survey. 

Enjoy your sailing and don’t let negative responses here deter you from providing helpful posts. Thanks! 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Rramig1 said:

Caring voices here are many times difficult to find. Lots of keyboard warriors who are really pumped up on themselves and offer comment that they wouldn't dare offer up face to face. 

Just the nature of the beast. Don't let it get you down. Karma will eventually do its job. 

Thank you for your input. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Caring voices here are many times difficult to find. Lots of keyboard warriors who are really pumped up on themselves and offer comment that they wouldn't dare offer up face to face. 

Just the nature of the beast. Don't let it get you down. Karma will eventually do its job. 

We absolutely would say something face to face to the instructor if we were not being provided a fitness class we paid for. Fitness classes you need to be fit. What about a spin class? Is there a setting to coast through that? It's a 25 minute class that's provided. If guests need a one on one fitness class curtailed to their needs, the fitness instructors offer those for a nominal fee.  The OP stated they were not in shape and warned others to stay away. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, waltd said:

The OP said it was a stretch class.   A good instructor will keep an eye on the class and make sure everyone is able to do something.   Give me a break.  Its a cruise.  Every shape, size and age.    Must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for insturctors.  Maybe they need to post age resitrictions or fitness level. 

It is a gym regardless where it is. My old trainer would push us to our limit. If you just want it easy go to tai chi

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

It is a gym not a resort

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We absolutely would say something face to face to the instructor if we were not being provided a fitness class we paid for. Fitness classes you need to be fit. What about a spin class? Is there a setting to coast through n a?n exercise class before It's a 25 minute class that's provided. If guests need a one on one fitness class curtailed to their needs, the fitness instructors offer those for a nominal fee.  The OP stated they were not in shape and warned others to stay away. 

Sounds like it was written up as a stretch class not a spin class.  have you ever taken exercise classes before? Doesn't sound like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, waltd said:

Sounds like it was written up as a stretch class not a spin class.  have you ever taken exercise classes before? Doesn't sound like it.

Test have taken classes. I am 74 with artificial knee and hip. I can get on my knees and stand up with no problem. Rather than take a gym class the OP should have opted for other options. I have never seen a stretch class that did not stretch many parts of my body. Gym classes are not meant for everyone 

• Haha 1

Gym classes certainly can be made inclusive and for everybody, it just takes small regressions of certain exercises, and it's a damn shame that they wouldnt try to do that on a cruise generally populated by a more mature demographic. Imagine what feeling encouraged and included to do for someone who wouldn't normally go to a gym.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm happy to see you are an expert on everyone elses health issues.   Have to disagree with you.   I have friends who are in the same boat as you and do quite well with gentle exercise classes.   

• Like 1

Just now, Scirocco Breeze said:

Gym classes certainly can be made inclusive and for everybody, it just takes small regressions of certain exercises, and it's a damn shame that they wouldnt try to do that on a cruise generally populated by a more mature demographic. Imagine what feeling encouraged and included to do for someone who wouldn't normally go to a gym.

Thank You.   Amazing how you can feel after a light exercise even at 78.    

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

Having having been a gym member at home for over 20 years I can attest that classes are just that classes like in school. If I have a class of 40 people there is no way to have 40 lesson plans. A person who is not ready for classes can hire a trainer to work with them individually like a tutor in school   That is how it works in every gym I have every belonged to

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

We absolutely would say something face to face to the instructor if we were not being provided a fitness class we paid for. Fitness classes you need to be fit. What about a spin class? Is there a setting to coast through that? It's a 25 minute class that's provided. If guests need a one on one fitness class curtailed to their needs, the fitness instructors offer those for a nominal fee.  The OP stated they were not in shape and warned others to stay away. 

Maybe missed something in OP, but thought the discussion was the basic stretching class offered on most cruises.

There is a big difference in showing up for morning stretches than signing up for a paid class like a paid spin class you mentioned. 

Only been on 20 cruises with various lines but always saw the morning walk or stretches as motivational and not designed to be a stressful workout. Agree with OP that the instructors for these classes should be more accommodating. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dutchman48 said:

Maybe missed something in OP, but thought the discussion was the basic stretching class offered on most cruises.

There is a big difference in showing up for morning stretches than signing up for a paid class like a paid spin class you mentioned. 

Only been on 20 cruises with various lines but always saw the morning walk or stretches as motivational and not designed to be a stressful workout. Agree with OP that the instructors for these classes should be more accommodating. 

I took this thread to be about the exercise classes in the gym which you either pay for or get as part of your package not a morning warmup but an actual gym class 

The stretch classes are  exercise classes that are designed for ALL levels.   These are entry level exersice classes for those that want to get started   with gentle strretching. .  Great for those that don't get a lot of exercise normally.   For those of  a certain age its one of the few ways of keeping the body flexable.  

• Like 2