Motion Sickness

31 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I think that somewhere back in the dim dark recesses of my mind, I might have heard about that.  I just think that I didn't actually believe it.  Now I know.  Not got a lot more to say about this other than to thank you for the link.  Dee.

Personally, I think it would be more fun to pack some pineapple magnets for random distribution around the ship - more fun than hiding ducks.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Personally, I think it would be more fun to pack some pineapple magnets for random distribution around the ship - more fun than hiding ducks.

We found a duck on our last cruise. Grumpy saw it first and thought some young kid has lost a toy. When I saw it I knew of course because I'm much smarter and more worldly.  I've taken it home and will leave it somewhere on our World Cruise.

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, arxcards said:

You have an evil mind Geoff 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

That's just evil! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

On 10/3/2024 at 11:46 AM, sciencewonk said:

My wife can get incredible motion sickness on a cruise.  In the past she has had complete relief of symptoms using dramamine (aka mecliine or bonine).  Since relocating to Australia from the States, we have discovered that you can't get dramamine here (even by prescription) and she has run out of her original stock.  For those of you prone to motion sickness, what have you found in Australia that is effective.  What are your experiences with possible side effects?  Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Have you made any progress with the original query?

Like your wife, I get seasick standing on a pier so …… my goto had been Bonine, (unavailable in Australia of course) which I would stock up on whenever we cruised. But supply has decreased over the years, so had to find a new source 😉

Have tried most of the Brands suggested by others, but have found these either headache inducing, made me sleepy the following day or just plain didn't work.

So, as someone suggested - went online:-
On Amazon I can buy Bonine25mg (packs of 8 or 16) delivered within 10 days, or Rugby Meclizine 25mg packs of 100.

Or on EBay - again the Rugby Meclizine  25mg and occasionally Bonine. Have found the Rugby brand works well as Bonine, (for 1/3 of the price).
Noticed that your original Dramamine is also on Amazon.

As another "mal de mer" sufferer, if Meclizine works why change it?? We wouldn't be able to cruise as much as we do without it.

Hope this helps, Rose 🌹

Edited by Porky55

I have also just bought Meclizine from Amazon, Prime member so free delivery, two for $24AUD, 100 capsules each, 12.5mg. Arrived in about 10 days.

I don't get seasickness but deaf in one ear so get dizzy and unbalanced which can cause nausea.

Bought these for the son as I am cruising with him in 3 weeks and as he hasn't cruised before is not sure if he will suffer.

I tried Bonine years ago on an RCL ship and they were the only ones that didn't cause drowsiness or a hang over type feel. 

15 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

I tried Bonine years ago on an RCL ship and they were the only ones that didn't cause drowsiness or a hang over type feel. 

Agree totally, which is why I only buy Meclizine for motion sickness 👍

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Hi,

Have you made any progress with the original query?

Like your wife, I get seasick standing on a pier so …… my goto had been Bonine, (unavailable in Australia of course) which I would stock up on whenever we cruised. But supply has decreased over the years, so had to find a new source 😉

Have tried most of the Brands suggested by others, but have found these either headache inducing, made me sleepy the following day or just plain didn't work.

So, as someone suggested - went online:-
On Amazon I can buy Bonine25mg (packs of 8 or 16) delivered within 10 days, or Rugby Meclizine 25mg packs of 100.

Or on EBay - again the Rugby Meclizine  25mg and occasionally Bonine. Have found the Rugby brand works well as Bonine, (for 1/3 of the price).
Noticed that your original Dramamine is also on Amazon.

As another "mal de mer" sufferer, if Meclizine works why change it?? We wouldn't be able to cruise as much as we do without it.

Hope this helps, Rose 🌹

Good to know about the Rugby meclizine.  I'm retired from the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, so I'm always hesitant to try drugs manufactured at facilities I'm not familiar with.

Her GP prescribed doxylamine, which she took and promptly slept for 2 days, so that's off the table.  She's going to get a different prescription to try.  We're also thinking of having my sister, who lives in California, send us some dramamine, but I don't know if that will get past postal inspectors.

We don't sail again until March, so we have time to work this out.

Edited by sciencewonk

On 10/10/2024 at 12:48 PM, cheznandy said:

My wife has the same experience with the generic version of Bonine…Meclizine…which is an antihistamine & Dramamine Less Drowsy is also meclizine.

• Like 2