Taking a cruise but can't enter the US?

Tasinei

Hello!

So I am planning the family vacation this year and I thought a Caribbean cruise might be interesting. However, my brother is unable to enter the USA due to his criminal record. 

Can he still go on the cruise or do I need to figure something else out? Or maybe he can get on in another port? Or am I looking at having to pick another location altogether maybe? None of us have ever been on a cruise before.

Can't seem to find any info on this, he has a valid Canadian passport for some context.

Edited by Tasinei

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Wouldn't the cruise also need to NOT do a US port of call during the cruise?

Yes.  There are a lot of cruises, mostly on lines that you haven’t heard of (meant for the OP) that sail from Caribbean islands and do not call at any US ports.  Boarding downline on a cruise from the US wouldn’t work unless the cruise ended in a foreign port.  Most cruises from US return to the same port, called closed loop.  EM

As others have mentioned, he will not be able to board any ship that departs from, terminates in, or calls on any US port with its itinerary.  This will include Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John in the Caribbean.

Edited by leaveitallbehind