Snorkeling in Port Douglas during a cruise stop_ doable with a local agency (not through the ship excursion)?

We'll be on the 10-day Queensland cruise, on the Crown Princess, departing Sydney on 1/29/25. Would like to do a full day snorkeling from Port Douglas, where they stop at 2-3 reef sites (not from the platform). Want to book outside of Princess because their price is too high.

On 2/3/25 Port Douglas, ship in port 7am-5pm: I found a tour from Poseidon that might fit in the window. It has a tour from 8:30-4:15ish (start boarding at 8:15 from Port Douglas Marina). They stop at 3 reefs, which is perfect for us.

Questions to the forum:

+ Will be I be able to get to the marina by 8:15? The transportation from the ship is by tenders so I don’t know how long it'll take

+ Same concern on the return. Poseidon cannot guarantee the exact time of return, depending on the weather condition. They say between 4:15-4:30. Will I be able to get back to the ship on time?

Thank you for your help!

It is risky, firstly, getting there on time may be difficult without priority tendering. Secondly, all aboard would be 4.30pm so getting back is also highly risky.

I wouldn't even consider it without a full refund if you don't  show and the next port would need to be Cairns.

• Like 2

I would not book this excursion.  Our Princess cruise was scheduled to go from Cairns to Port Douglas then back to Brisbane via Willis Island.  Port Douglas was cancelled due to inability to tender.  

Prior to stopping at Cairns we were at Airlie Beach and tendered.  Tenders did not start on time and it took a while to get off the boat for people who didn’t have Princess excursions booked or priority.

If you do make your tour departure, then miss the last tender back to the boat, you will not be able to get on until Tangalooma.  This would involve getting a flight from Cairns to Brisbane then a ferry to Tangalooma plus 2 hotel nights. Very expensive exercise and you miss two days of your cruise.

• Like 2

The problem is the ship isn't in port, it is at anchor. 5pm departure could also mean that last tender could be 4:30, or earlier. I agree with above, rather than risking dollars you are also risking an awesome day on the reef if you can't connect with your tour. If the tour operator can't guarantee a timely return, what they are also saying is they are not about to leave early to get you to the ship and reduce the reef experience for others on their boat that are staying in Port Douglas.

Usually, I would suggest looking at options from Cairns on the previous day. The ship is docked, so you would be able to make it to an independent tour much more reliably. If for some reason you are late and miss the ship, Port Douglas is only an hour or so drive north to catch-up with the ship the following day. Alas, for your cruise it does show an unusually late arrival in Cairns, so that may not be possible either. There is also a late departure, but I figure all the independent tour boats will be gone by the time you have docked.

Princess is indeed expensive, but guaranteed and the tour boat collects you and returns directly to the ship, maximising your hours at the reef.

• Like 1

Getting ashore on time would be your first challenge. Just because the ship is scheduled to arrive a 7am doesn't mean tendering will start immediately. Then sometimes they use local big catamarans as tenders there. Last time that happened to us we sat alongside the ship for almost half an hour until the catamaran was full. Another time the marina was very crowded so the tenders were having to line up and wait to dock.

And usually the last tender would be no later than 4pm for a 5pm departure. 

Seriously, don't risk it.

I believe the snorkelling is still good at the Low Isles which is only about 20-30 minutes from the marina so you might be able to get a trip that goes there instead. Although it's quite a few years since I snorkelled there I enjoyed it as much as the outer reef trip I also did. 

I suggest you look at a company called Reef Sprinter. They do trips to the reef in a jet boat so less time is spent getting to and from the reef. I have been with them a few times and found them excellent. Their office is in the Port Douglas Marina where the ships' tenders dock.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I suggest you do the outer reef tour with the ship.

I agree. The extra expense taking the ship's excursion is offset by lack of stress and the potential of added expense if you miss all aboard time. It would definitely spoil my day if I had it in the back of my mind the whole time that we may be late getting back. It's a holiday, stress is not on the agenda in my opinion.

I really doubt you would make this. It can take some time for the tendering operation to start and it's not a super quick journey in. You'd have to be on the very first tender to even attempt it. I've been out to the reef with Poseidon and it was a fabulous day - but you really need to do this as part of a land based holiday.