When are cabins assigned?

Poulsbo Cruisers

:rolleyes: My DW and I have a guaranteed mini suite on the Grand for the June 9th sailing from Venice. Can anyone tell me how far ahead of time, our cabin will be assigned?

This board has been very helpful. We have been away from cruising for several years and are excited about our upcoming cruise. Thanks everyone for posting such helpful information.

We booked a surprise cruise for my Mother's 60th birthday and just booked a Guaranteed Inside Cabin. About a week after final payment was made, her cabin was assigned....we looked it up on the Princess website Personalizer. She's been upgraded to the highest Inside Cabin on the Lido deck....we're hoping the upgrade fairy might see fit to find an oceanview or Balcony before we sail!!! Wouldn't she love that??? :)

We booked a guaranteed and within a few days our cabin number showed up on the Princess site. That was in February and it hasn't changed yet. We sail in 2 1/2 weeks. We got a nice upgrade but still within the balcony to balcony.

:rolleyes: My DW and I have a guaranteed mini suite on the Grand for the June 9th sailing from Venice. Can anyone tell me how far ahead of time, our cabin will be assigned?

This board has been very helpful. We have been away from cruising for several years and are excited about our upcoming cruise. Thanks everyone for posting such helpful information.

We had a guaranteed on the Grand Med cruise this summer and did find out until late what our assignments were. We have on some cruises not found out until 2 weeks prior, but that is not the norm.

Also never have done a mini suite so I would think they would sort those out first before getting to steerage. ;)

We booked a surprise cruise for my Mother's 60th birthday and just booked a Guaranteed Inside Cabin. About a week after final payment was made, her cabin was assigned....we looked it up on the Princess website Personalizer. She's been upgraded to the highest Inside Cabin on the Lido deck....we're hoping the upgrade fairy might see fit to find an oceanview or Balcony before we sail!!! Wouldn't she love that??? :)

We had an inside on Lido last year for Alaska on Diamond Princess and loved the location.. it is so near the outer decks for all that awesome scenery, accessible to the Lido restaurant and pool area. IMHO this is one of "the" best locations for an inside on any ship...On a full sailing upgrades are often within cabin categories (i.e. inside to inside, outside to outside etc.)

EDITING HERE: I got curious and looked up my Sept booking on the personalizer. We booked a balcony guarantee (I think that is "BF") and are now in a "BA" which is a balcony cabin on Lido deck forward... a little higher than I would have preferred BUT I do NOT like the exposed balconies on the Caribe/Dolphin decks at all so I am truly delighted not to be upgraded to a minisuite :)

We have done guarantees 3 times with Princess (Platinum level) and have never had an upgrade. All were cat BC balcony or better guarantees and all 3 times were assigned the same category. Our last guarantee was a BC and they assigned a cabin the week after we booked it (7 months out). Before that they were assigned around the final payment time.

We mostly do guarantee bookings. Interestingly, we have never received a cabin number more than about 2 weeks prior to sailing. We have often received an assignment a couple of days before and on one occassion had to wait until boarding! Upgrades have always been with a category. Only once in 28 cruises did we get a "real" upgrade (mini to full), but that was about 5 years ago when Princess was much more generous with upgrades.

Our last cruise....Venice to Ft. Lauderdale,,,,,,,we found our cabin no. on personalizer on computer; then when we checked in at portside our cabin keycard had an upgrade from Dolphin obstructed to AlohaBalcony................wow were were thrilled,,,,,,,,first time we did not get what we booked.............was it wonderful. In 30 days we leave with a guarantee cabin.,,,,,GG obstructed view, so far on personalizer we have no assigned cabin, and we are waitlisted for lst seating dinner. We are elite and hoping that will mean so upgrade fairy touches................who knows? We are excited no matter what happens Alaska here we come..........sailinsal

If the sailing is full, there will usually be signs at check-in and the pursers desk. Otherwise, you can put your name on an upgrade request list...so get there early.

Last October, we were upgraded two days before sailing fom an OV to a balcony. Pure luck!

Lately, I've been booking into aft cabins and then marking the res as "no upgrade unless to full suite".

Booked minimum balcony "guarantee" on Carib P for September and found our cabin assignment quite by accident with nice upgrade to BA last week.. in fact several on roll call already upgraded..this has never happened quite this early for us but it IS hurricane season (again) and that may be why.. there are a gazillion "special deals" for our week everywhere..I went "Elite" with Princess last year but others who are on first or second with Princess have also been upgraded already on that week.

I am happy to read that some of you got last-minute upgrades. I booked a lowest level balcony guarantee (BH) and was immediatley assigned a BH obstructed view balcony cabin. I hope the immediate assignment was not a bad sign. The other balcony categories are still waitlisted for the sailing in May.

As you can see from the responses here, the cabin assignment date can vary a lot. In my opinion, it is likely a function of how the ship is filling up - in other words once the number of cabins in a group (such as balcony) have been filled; once those selected at the time of booking + those that are 'guaranteed' equals the number available (or close to it) there is no reason not to assign the guarantees to a specific cabin. On the other hand, if a number of cabins remain unsold, the cruise line has every reason to wait as long as possible to see how many others wil be sold, thus will likely do the assignments later.

In my experience, I usually get at least a small upgrade in category, but seldom into another group, such as balcony to minisuite. In addition, on newer ships it seems like even when I get upgraded from BF all the way up to BA the cabin is pretty much the same. Overall, I usually book 'guarantee' because we are really not that particular about cabin location. At the worst, I will still get what I paid for so can't really complain about that !

I am happy to read that some of you got last-minute upgrades. I booked a lowest level balcony guarantee (BH) and was immediatley assigned a BH obstructed view balcony cabin. I hope the immediate assignment was not a bad sign. The other balcony categories are still waitlisted for the sailing in May.

Okay, I give......I've never heard of a category BH!! What ship is it on and what is the obstruction??????

The BH obstructed balconies are the first two balconies on the Emerald and Dolphin decks of the Island and Coral. I can't tell how obstructed they are. Some pictures make it look like the balcony is at last half blocked; other pictures look better.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived