What Will Celebrity's New Logo Be

superjerryw

Another thread ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=336721 ) talks about the departure of John Chandris, the founder of Celebrity. Additional posts talk about the firing of some of the Greek officers and hotel directors. One poster wonders if the "X" will be the next thing to go. Another poster states "If values/ethics change considerably, then so will the customer experience, and a management of cheap MBAs with no appreciation of ocean liner history and every appreciation of profit margins might well diminish that experience." If this is the direction that Celebrity is headed, we would seem to have little to look forward to.

In any case, if the "X" is to be replaced as the Celebrity logo, what do you think it should be replaced with. I vote for a dollar sign ($), since that will more accurately reflect managements intentions.

What is wrong with Celebrity making a profit?

I hear all the time about how y is cut back or z was eliminated, but then complaints that the cruise line increased the prices. If you adjust today's prices for inflation and then look at what the lines provide now versus 20 years ago, I think the value would be self-evident.

On smaller ships (as was pretty much all that sailed back then) service was more personal, but the spas, shows, etc. were not nearly as sophisticated as they are today. That is not because the lines want to spend money, it is because that is what the customer is demanding.

Many people say that lines like Seabourn and Silversea are too expensive for them to travel on, but the "old time" service and care is there (especially with Seabourn). And it operates at a profit.

I just got off of the Constellation and, having sailed Seabourn and Regent, for example, I can honestly say that dollar for dollar the service and amenities on Celebrity were on a par or better (better than Regent for sure). Funny thing: I didn't mind paying for it. Heck, people pay me for my services so that I can afford to pay Celebrity.

Actually, as an RCCL Shareholder, I like the idea of Celebrity ( and RCCL for that matter) making a profit. Nothing wrong with that and that's in my interest as an investor. IF those profits are used to improve the ships, increase Customer Satisfaction and Service, and maintain Celebrity's reputation as a Premium Experience, then it's also in my self-interest as a Customer.

The concern arises when those profits are used to enrich Management, et al, at the expense of maintanence, Customer Service, and the people who work on the Front Lines. Current US Management Dogma appears to be to boost short term profits to reward current Corporation Leaders at the expense of long term growth and rewards. Witness the GM example that I used in another post: most of GM ( and many other Corporate examples) probably should have been fired for poor Company Performance; instead, rather large renumeration appears to be the norm. IF Celebrity and RCCL are firmly in the grasp of the Bean Counters, then my thought might be enjoy your current bookings, because the future may not be a bright as the past.

Bean Counters count beans; Managers manage. Which side wins out? Inquiring minds want to know......

Wonder how interesting it would have been to be a fly on the wall in some of the recent Board discussions.......:)

There is nothing wrong with Celebrity making a profit. Many people on this board have said that they will gladly pay more for a better product. The issue is that quality and service are forsaken in the name of higher profits and the end product is of poor quality.

What is wrong with Celebrity making a profit?

I hear all the time about how y is cut back or z was eliminated, but then complaints that the cruise line increased the prices. If you adjust today's prices for inflation and then look at what the lines provide now versus 20 years ago, I think the value would be self-evident.

On smaller ships (as was pretty much all that sailed back then) service was more personal, but the spas, shows, etc. were not nearly as sophisticated as they are today. That is not because the lines want to spend money, it is because that is what the customer is demanding.

Many people say that lines like Seabourn and Silversea are too expensive for them to travel on, but the "old time" service and care is there (especially with Seabourn). And it operates at a profit.

I just got off of the Constellation and, having sailed Seabourn and Regent, for example, I can honestly say that dollar for dollar the service and amenities on Celebrity were on a par or better (better than Regent for sure). Funny thing: I didn't mind paying for it. Heck, people pay me for my services so that I can afford to pay Celebrity.

Though I may not totally agree with your comparison dollar to dollar Celebrity is on par with the luxury lines I do agree things have changed and much of it for the better. Of course companies are in business to make a buck, why not? You are right on there. NMNita

I think much of the cruise line's value is in what you make of the cruise. My personal interests are in such things as the Persian Gardens/T-Pool/Spa (which no other line can really touch), the specialty restaurant (which really is on a par with the best of the best) and having a suite with a good butler (which we usually are blessed with). By combining a few nights in the specialty restaurant and some evenings in Michael's Club it really upscales the cruise. That is not for everyone, but it works for me.

On Regent the service was more personalized, but now it seems to many to be lacking. While the suites are very nice (and nicer than most, but not all, Celebrity suites - such as Sky Suites), the physical amenities are not there. And while the cruise fare is higher, the semi (soon to be all) inclusiveness does take a bit of the sting out. Tours Regent is far superior, but with some planning, private tours tend to work better anyway...in most instances. In other words, you can compare apples with Regent.

To be sure, Seabourn is in another class. I sell a lot of Seabourn and relish each day I spend cruising with them. However, I also truly enjoy my time on Celebrity (which is not insignificant). And, I guess, because I enjoy both so much I think making a dollar for dollar comparison really isn't out of the question...since I have to make those decisions even for myself!;) (Seabourn at a lower rate and with a kid's program - kinda never going to happen! - would be my idea...which also is never going to happen!).

Hi Everyone !

Hopefully, the X will stay, but with the apparant "changing of the guard" so to speak.... I suppose it might change. I hope not.

Future Logo ?

Wrong company..

It will be interesting to see the first design of Solstice/ Equinox to see if the colors and X are still there. Until someone drops all the plates on every ship I think the X will remain.... Let's hope for smooth seas.

I certainly know the difference between the X logo and the Carnival Funnel logo.

It was a joke!

X and Carnival are not joking matters:eek:. They should not be in the same paragraph let alone sentence.:p

Hi everyone,

at the end of the day, the cruise industry is like every other industry: it's all about money. According to my information Celebrity Cruises wasn't profitable and so Chandris hat to sell the line. I dont't think that he as a board member of Royal Caribbean was responsible for Celebrity Cruises' day to day operations in the last several years. The most important decisions were made by others. So when he leaves the board there won't be any consequences for the line.

I'm sure the Celebrity brand and the X are here to stay. They invest more than one billion dollars in two news ships. The book "Meyer Werft - Innovativer Schiffbau aus Papenburg" shows a picture of a prototype of the Solstice Class (once called Challenger). You can see the X on the funnel and on the side of the ship (bigger than ever :-)). Sorry, because of copyrights issues I can't post the picture.

Greetings from Germany

Joachim

I'm sure the Celebrity brand and the X are here to stay. They invest more than one billion dollars in two news ships. The book "Meyer Werft - Innovativer Schiffbau aus Papenburg" shows a picture of a prototype of the Solstice Class (once called Challenger). You can see the X on the funnel and on the side of the ship (bigger than ever :-)). Sorry, because of copyrights issues I can't post the picture.

Greetings from Germany

Joachim

Joachim -- that's just cruel to let us know there are renderings of the new solstice class and not share them with us! I'm DYING to know more. Do you know when teh book may be available in the U.S.?

I remember when Holland was my favorite "cruise line" until they became "Carnavalised" Elite status used to mean something, now it's almost a joke. We have been cruiseing 3 to 4 times a year but lately we are starting to think maybe it is time to start looking at other forms of traveling for enjoyment. Marvin

Let's hope they keep the "X". I've changed my avatar in homage. I understand that Celebrity reads these boards and I can but try;) I think I am believing I am way too important. Dan, are you there a listening?:)

Phil

Personally, I miss the picture of that handsome Brit:)

What do you expect from a public company. The profit they get they intern put some of that money back into the ships for improvement. When Ive been pricing out cruises I think Celebrity for overall price has always been a great deal. I usually go on the longer itinearies...10+ days and when I priced them out on other lines its very comprable in total. Yes Carnival is much cheaper. But the product is nowhere near what Celebrity offers. I like that Celebrity only has a few ships. It means that it is easier to control standards on them. All of the other cruise lines except ones like Crystal have many more ships. The crews on them have never been as friendly and helping as they have on Celebrity for me.

Pricing there is not much you can play with...with gas and food prices going up they have to raise rates a bit. Do people expect the prices to stay the same for 5 years, i dont think so. Yes if we go into a comple resscion then you might have them go down but in todays economical climate not going to happen. Cruising is the best deal on the dollar I think. I help run a resort and run on the MAP plan and the day by day price here is more then the day by day price on a Celebrity cruise.

Archived