Empress of the Seas Junior Suite---It's just not right!

Last fall we had an aft JS -7686. It was smaller than the side JS. I visited someone and was shocked how much more space they had. we definately did not have a tub. we had no room for a couch. Small balcony big enough for 2 chairs

we were on the "broken propellor cruise '05" Is the vibration/propellor fixed? still miss Jonas, the best waiter ever!

Last fall we had an aft JS -7686. It was smaller than the side JS. I visited someone and was shocked how much more space they had. we definately did not have a tub. we had no room for a couch. Small balcony big enough for 2 chairs

we were on the "broken propellor cruise '05" Is the vibration/propeller fixed? still miss Jonas, the best waiter ever!

When I sailed her in December 2004, the silverware in the dining room was jumping out of the bins as we left ports.:eek: If our water glasses were too full, look out. :)

I really think that ship had more than a broken propeller. :D I would like to know myself if it still does that. :confused:

She definitely still has that vibration thing going.

At the Captain's Corner talk, people were asking about "that noise and vibration" during the 2nd seating dinner on the first night out of Philadelphia. The captain answered something to the effect that it is an old ship with twin propellers, not azipods. So when the ship is in the shallow Delaware there is something about how they have to change speeds and do certain things to get the ship through particular spots, so there is this vibration due to maneuvering through difficult waters. I think I got that mostly right.

I had heard about that business of the major vibrations during 2nd seating dinner thanks to people here on Cruise Critic. I was the only one at dinner that night who kept on eating and was not freaked out. People at my table calmed down when I said it happens every week and just kept eating.....:)

Leslie

PS When I sailed on her in 1995 out of Miami, and also 2002 out of NYC, I don't remember any vibrations......2001 out of Phily is a blurr. That was the fall of 9-11.

Ha! We had that awful vibration at 2nd seating dinner in the Delaware, too! If it is a regular occurance, you would think that the staff would mention it! (instead they looked surprised!)

Well I'm learning a lot about our cruise this weekend, thanks! I would have probably been scared about the vibration too had I not read about it here first. Also, thankfully I can tell hubby the vibration will go away when we get outside of Philadelphia if he feels it too much.

We have a JS too, mid ship so I'll see how it compares to other JS's. I was too lazy to check RCCL's web page but I had a pretty good idea the rooms would be smaller due to the ship's size.:)

Glad to be hearing new info about the ship, not too many new comments this past week.

We returned today from a very nice 7 night cruise on the Empress of the Seas. However, I just don't understand why Royal Caribbean markets those balcony staterooms as Junior Suites.

Compared to other ships, from the Sovereign class on up the line, a Junior Suite is usually of a certain size and has a large-ish bathroom with a bathtub. Not so on the little Empress. The room and balcony is very typical of either a Cat D or Cat E balcony; the bathroom is the usual tiny size---the shower and its stick-to-you curtain the smallest in the fleet.

Why do they do this? Why do they call this stateroom a Junior Suite. They could call it a Category D, be consistent with the rest of the fleet, and still charge whatever they need to. I am disappointed and shaking my head.

Leslie

I had the same opinion of my JS on Sovereign; very disappointing:mad:.

This cabin was no larger than my E1 on Serenade.

I think it is the issues with the retrofitted balconies on older ships.

It was not worth it.

I also had a JS on the Empress in Sept. 05 with my parents, it WAS small but we managed just fine. We did have the "upgraded" toiletries which was nice.

Ditto on the vibration at dinner, one night it was really bad but thanks to CC it wasn't unexpected.

The one thing I REALLY loved about the Empress was all the neat little sitting areas on the different decks. Comfy chairs to sit & watch the sea go by!

I recall when we were on the Inaugural of Nordic Empres in June of 1990......they didn't even call them balconies....they were called verandas. ( barely enough to stand and look out on )

we were on the "broken propellor cruise '05" Is the vibration/propellor fixed? still miss Jonas, the best waiter ever!

We were in 8686 (aft). Also, no tub and no room for one, but we knew that. This balcony was very large -- plenty of room for 4 chairs (some lounging) and table, with space left over. The cabin itself was somewhat small. Looking at the layout before we booked I thought the cabin did not have room for a sofa, although it was described as having one. I called RCI, who insisted that yes, it did have a sofa. I still didn't believe that, so was neither surprised nor disappointed when we boarded and there was no sofa, and no room for a sofa. Bottom line was that we loved the balcony, the cabin was fine, and the cruise was wonderful. But RCI ought to get its act together and correctly describe its cabins.

Hi,

Stateroom Details on the Brilliance Of The Seas Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (293 sq. ft., balcony 66 sq. ft.)

Please note: Staterooms 1098 & 1598 have obstructed views. s.gifcor_dashboarder_bld.gifs.gifStateroom Details on the Empress Of The Seas Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, and a private bathroom. Junior Suites located on Deck 9 (except Room #9684) include a sitting area. (194 sq. ft., balcony 25 sq. ft.)

I am sooooooooo glad there are private bathrooms.........I didnt want to have to use a communal one..;)

Sometimes I think there is a little misrepresentation on RCCL's part. When the JS prices went down on Monarch, I was considering changing (we were booked for 2 adjoining cabins on deck 4 (Monarch) I thought by the description etc. that if we got a jr. Suite we'd have a bigger cabin (without a wall separating us.) Then after seeing the board and other comments by Monarch cruisers I decided we were better off right where we were. We're staying with our 2 adjoining rooms, however I do feel that RCCL misrepresented the JS sizes. What I'm wondering is if their description of the JS is a "one size fits all" type--rather than submitting for each and every ship--they just have a basic description that they use for all ships. whether or not it's the same for a particular ship. I've heard that JS are bigger and more spacious on the newer ships.

Oh my! Can you just imagine??:eek:

No....and I cant imagine why they include that in their description.............are there any ships that dont have a private bathroom?? :cool:

No....and I cant imagine why they include that in their description.............are there any ships that dont have a private bathroom?? :cool:

Hummm, the Santa Maria? :confused:

• 11 years later...

We are almost Diamond Plus and were in Cabin 7686, what RCCL calls a Junior Suite, on Empress. It is NOT a junior suite, but a balcony room. It has no chair, no sofa, and no where to sit besides the bed. There is a tiny shower and a tiny closet. Because we didn't check this site before we booked, we were shocked when we saw our room. Its a balcony room, plain and simple. But they sell it as a Junior Suite for twice the money. Don't know how they get around this. When I saw photos of the 9th deck with sofa's we knew we were ripped off. If they only sold this suite as a balcony room, we would have been OK with it. But they sold it as a Junior Suite and charged much more than the other rooms and we were so disappointed with RCCL for this. We keep asking, why are we rushing to become Diamond Plus? They disappoint time after time. The ship is old and smells of sewage, and the carpet is really dirty. Hubby has just had a hip replacement and needs to sit in a chair. Not in this room!

We are almost Diamond Plus and were in Cabin 7686, what RCCL calls a Junior Suite, on Empress. It is NOT a junior suite, but a balcony room. It has no chair, no sofa, and no where to sit besides the bed. There is a tiny shower and a tiny closet. Because we didn't check this site before we booked, we were shocked when we saw our room. Its a balcony room, plain and simple. But they sell it as a Junior Suite for twice the money. Don't know how they get around this. When I saw photos of the 9th deck with sofa's we knew we were ripped off. If they only sold this suite as a balcony room, we would have been OK with it. But they sold it as a Junior Suite and charged much more than the other rooms and we were so disappointed with RCCL for this. We keep asking, why are we rushing to become Diamond Plus? They disappoint time after time. The ship is old and smells of sewage, and the carpet is really dirty. Hubby has just had a hip replacement and needs to sit in a chair. Not in this room!

Why did you bring this old post back to life ?...Please next time look at the dates on posts. If you felt the need to comment I'm sure you could have found another way to do it. JMHO