Husband Downsized at Work - Insurance ?

vesw01

Do you think our trip insurance would cover this? It happened just this week so I hadn't had a chance to look into it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I paid for our cruise in full one night the next night he lost his job - UGH!!

We are still planning on going on the cruise, but who knows....

Don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to tell you to hang in there! We went thru the same thing some years ago, and survived with some hard work and lots of love. Hope a new job is right around the corner!

I don't have our policy for the upcoming trip in front of me, but I think I remember seeing that it covers layoffs as long as you have been at the job for 3 years. Yours could be different of course.

That really stinks!! I hope he is able to get another job quickly.

You are 72 days out too. If it had been 75 or more you could of had a full refund. My trip insurance only covers an "unannounced strike". There was nothing else for employment.

Chin up the future will be brighter. Good luck:)

You'll have to check with your insurance carrier. All policies are different. As I recall, my TA used "loss of job coverage" as a selling point when offering us the insurance that they sell. I still decided to get insurance on my own and bought a Travelex Travel Lite policy. I'm not sure but I think I remember reading in their policy that they have loss of job coverage too. There were probably stipulations tho like someone else mentioned, like having to be at your job more than 3 years. You should be able to find it in your policy. If not, give them a call.

Vesw01, I'm not sure about the insurance but I'm here to encourage you. Last year my husband job also downsized:eek: . OMG! After 18 years on that job He went in one morning and he had no job. Last August me and six of my children were scheduled to cruise two month before his layoff. I panicked for a minute because I was thinking how in the world can you take seven people on a cruise plus we had 3 post-day stay in Orlando, plus reserved a car in Jacksonville to drive to Orlando. I said all that to say, We went on the cruise, we drove from Jacksonville to Orlando, we stay at the Bestwestern Hotel, We got blessed with 7 tickets to a water park for seven days and then we finally flew back to Chicago and we had a great time! We definitely didn't have the extra money but we enjoyed each other and that's all that matters. Please don't allow this to stop you. Because if I did it with seven I know you can do it with the two of you guys! Please be encourage because my husband still haven't found a job and it hasn't stop us from enjoying life!

Wow thanks for the words of encouragement. I having been catching up on Astronamors (sp?) post cruise review and it reminded me why were going on the cruise in the first place - we wanted some time to be alone and to relax. Well after a job loss, how much more relaxation could you possibly need :rolleyes: !! He had posted a link to a beautiful sunrise that he and his wife woke up to - I am going to use that as motivation to make this work. Everything is paid for except the car to the port, meals the night before and the way back to the airport. Even if we have to eat at McD's the night before we cruise we can make this work ( I knew I bought the plane tickets a long time ago for a reason and paid for the hotel already) - even if we have no money for excursions we will at least have the room and board paid for already - oh yah I knew I got a balcony for a reason!!

See that's what I'm talking about! So what you may have to eat at McD's, we ate at Wendy's .99 cent burgers and they tasted like steak:D lol. We didn't do excursions didn't have the money but we walked and toured the islands. You just learn to make the best out of any situation. This this will probably be the best time you guys have together

I agree! Lemons..Lemonades, all that good stuff.

A very good friend of mine recently lost his job and he has chosen to enjoy his time available to spend with his wife. Of course, all good things come to end, and this is certainly not a financial option for most of us (myself included), but when one door shuts...

Okay, enough cliches, I meant well:)

The day after I booked my cruise for November on The Destiny, it was announced my company had been purchased with the final sale to be completed by 4Q06. At first I went into panic mode, but then I came to the conclusion that if I'm really lucky, I'll get to take an extra week or two on a lovely beach somewhere in the Caribbean!

Keep your chin up! The next job will be even better than the last!

I just want to say that I wish you all the best. This is a difficult time, but how wonderful you have a cruise to get away from reality for just a little while. Bad things can make or break a person/couple. Laugh, smile, and expect something good to come from this.

Bonnie

Truthfully, sometimes less excursions and more ship time and 'walking around the port "time is better. Our first caribbean cruise, we didn't know much about excursions, and so mainly stayed on board enjoying the ship and just walked around towns and explored. On our Alaskan cruise this year, we had excursions in all ports, til the end, and I missed just being able to relax, with nothing scheduled. And just think, Great Meals- Free and no cleaning up. Just time to de-stress. ( don't get me wrong. Loved our excursions, but really my favorite times were driving to Emerald Lake on our own and just walking around in the last port.) Unless the cruise interfers with new job.( and I would ask up front at beginning) I would go for the cruise. It is money already spent, and you will need the trip,after this stressful time. When we cruise, that is about the only time my Dh gets to relax.

Do you think our trip insurance would cover this? It happened just this week so I hadn't had a chance to look into it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I paid for our cruise in full one night the next night he lost his job - UGH!!

We are still planning on going on the cruise, but who knows....

I know that my travel insurance covers loss of my job.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Best of luck to you and your DH.

Ordinarily, I would say, don't be irresponsible, cancel the cruise, but I'm feeling kind of sad tonight, so I say, pack a romantic picnic dinner to have in your hotel and enjoy yourselves. You never know when you might be taking your last vacation, or your last breath for that matter.

Enjoy yourselves and encourage your man that he will do better with the next job.

All things happen for a reason. My husband lost his only grownup job, through a strike almost 30 years ago. I was so upset. Had two kids, I didn't work and the unemployment rate was almost 30 percent. He had a new job within six weeks and is still there. Things work out. It's not in our hands anyway.

Wow thanks for the words of encouragement. I having been catching up on Astronamors (sp?) post cruise review and it reminded me why were going on the cruise in the first place - we wanted some time to be alone and to relax. Well after a job loss, how much more relaxation could you possibly need :rolleyes: !! He had posted a link to a beautiful sunrise that he and his wife woke up to - I am going to use that as motivation to make this work. Everything is paid for except the car to the port, meals the night before and the way back to the airport. Even if we have to eat at McD's the night before we cruise we can make this work ( I knew I bought the plane tickets a long time ago for a reason and paid for the hotel already) - even if we have no money for excursions we will at least have the room and board paid for already - oh yah I knew I got a balcony for a reason!!

With all the food on board, skip dinner the night before! You can enjoy a cruise without ever spending a dime above tips. My husband & I do it every time even though we don't have to watch our money. We still have the time of our lives (especially when we see other exhorbident S&S accounts)

If you can go and feel good about going, go! The same thing happened to me. I joked about it with our tablemates the second night only to find out that one of the guys at the table was in a position to hire me! I again discussed the situation in a positive manner at one of the cocktail parties (subject came up when small talk got around to 'where are you from - what do you do?'...told them what my job was and that I was looking forward to "new and exciting doors opening up") - guess what? Another person who had contacts for me! While I didn't take anyone up on their offers because I did not want to relocate, I did ask if I could contact them in the future - and if they knew anyone in my hometown area. And, it was a heck of an ego boost!

You have a GREAT attitude. I wish you and your family the absolute best! And, I hope you can take the cruise and enjoy!

I have to agree with the other posters.. Go for it! We only do live once and someone said, you never know what the future holds.

Last year, after a move out of the state of California for a job offer in Oklahoma ( family friend.. long story) my husband was 'fired' after two years of working - this after working in the Bay Area 16 years and being at the top of his company.. basically 'friend' made a 'wonderful' job offer and after years of contemplating a move, we went for it.. imagine our surprise when the offer didn't come close to what was proposed ( and our shock at moving away from our lifelong friends and family... and now being stuck in a different state in a horrible job environment with horrible pay..needless to say, my husband was miserable )...anyway, long, long story short.. husband lost his job and I was so depressed and upset at the way it was all turning out - I was just despondent but I always believed in my husband ... and a year later it was the very best thing to ever have happened to our family.. hubby started his own business and loves what he does, is happy and content and we are feeling better each and every day - so things do happen for a reason..

I would just offer encouragement and support to your spouse, keep believing in him and tell him that you know things will be fine .. and taking the cruise will further the belief that you do have faith in him..

Best wishes to you and your family!

Ordinarily, I would say, don't be irresponsible, cancel the cruise, but I'm feeling kind of sad tonight, so I say, pack a romantic picnic dinner to have in your hotel and enjoy yourselves. You never know when you might be taking your last vacation, or your last breath for that matter.

Enjoy yourselves and encourage your man that he will do better with the next job.

All things happen for a reason. My husband lost his only grownup job, through a strike almost 30 years ago. I was so upset. Had two kids, I didn't work and the unemployment rate was almost 30 percent. He had a new job within six weeks and is still there. Things work out. It's not in our hands anyway.

30%? Not in this country it wasn't. Maybe in your litttle town?

Since its paid for...I'd say go for it. Several years ago, similar thing happened to us, except both DH and I walked in and quit our jobs the same day (we were working at the same company). Cruise was scheduled for 2 weeks later. We made the decision to go ahead BUT to make the topic of work (perhaps I should say NO WORK to return to) OFF LIMITS as long as we were on vacation. Had a great week, and DH was offered a new job 2 days after returning from cruise.

I was downsized last year before a cruise. We had not made final payment yet. Our insurance was Access America, and we decided to cancel. I notified the cruise line the day after I was let go, which was a good thing. I only had 72 hours following the "event" to notify them I wanted to make a claim.

Good news is, I got a better job three months later, and we are taking another cruise August 28!

I wish you and your husband good luck in his job search and in whatever you decide to do about the upcoming cruise vacation!

Suzy

We have a cruise booked and will make final payment on the 20th of this month. We leave on the cruise Oct. 8. My husband may be laid off Sept 30. We figure if he is then we will need this time just the two of us to decide what's next. If he is not laid off, then the vacation is badly needed because he is in a high stress job.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Marie

30%? Not in this country it wasn't. Maybe in your litttle town?

Almost 30 years ago, the time frame of the poster, probably put it in the middle of the Carter mis-administration, when we enjoyed 15% inflation, and nearly 30% unemployment in many areas of this country. Remember him? He's the one whos only answer to the problems the Democrats got us into was that we just needed to tighten our belts and make do with less.

Thank goodness he and his kind aren't in power. He did have a nice smile, and he seems to have fun building houses with donated money now, though.

Mark T

Almost 30 years ago, the time frame of the poster, probably put it in the middle of the Carter mis-administration, when we enjoyed 15% inflation, and nearly 30% unemployment in many areas of this country. Remember him? He's the one whos only answer to the problems the Democrats got us into was that we just needed to tighten our belts and make do with less.

Thank goodness he and his kind aren't in power. He did have a nice smile, and he seems to have fun building houses with donated money now, though.

Mark T

Bingo Mark, you are correct, that's when it happened. Our whole economy was very shakey and we were very scared because we were just starting out and had two small children.

Archived