Getting There and Back??

sail7seas

How much of your decision whether to cruise, or to travel in general, rests upon how convenient/ inconvenient/ costly / unpalatable getting there and home will be for a given trip?

Do you find yourself saying "No Way" more often than in the past when you research what air travel demands you will have to tolerate?

Have you passed up a cruise you would have otherwise probably booked but the air travel was too unappealing?

I (we) have. We refused to cruise "MY" :) Maasdam out of Norfolk because of what we would have to do to get there. We would have enjoyed doing that cruise but opted to "just say no". There definitely have been others we passed over because of air choices.

A huge part of our decision is based on how difficult it is to get to the embarkation port. It's partially based on the cost of flying to the port, partially on the availability and cost of hotels near the port, and partially on how time consuming the trip would be. We moved to Florida to be near a port in our "golden" years.

We booked a cruise I was so excited about from Seattle to Ensenada on Celebrity. We were ready to bite the bullet and fly to Seattle and back from San Diego. But when I also learned the hardship of getting from Ensenada to San Diego, that was the deal breaker.

So we miss out on a lot of wonderful cruises because of that.

Sail, the main reason we have chosen Alaska for our first cruise is because we live in the Seattle suburbs, and there are lots of cruises this time of year that leave right out of our back yard. We don't have to take a flight and deal with air travel. So the decision to cruise to Alaska was a no-brainer for us. Now, our second cruise is to the Caribbean at Christmas, leaving from FLL, and to be honest, I am already dreading the air travel both there and back. We are on American, changing planes in DFW, and both for going and coming home it'll be an all-day trip. Yuck. American has already changed our itinerary once, and will probably do so again before our departure. I wish we had the time to drive to our cruise. The cruise is wonderful, a 14 day South and West Caribbean/ partial Panama Canal transit, so for that, I'm almost willing to drag my poor family through the airports at holiday time. We'll grit our teeth and bear it!

I was a flight attendant for Pan Am for seven years (1979-1986), and I can tell you I am appalled at what air travel has become in recent years.

My next cruise choices will probably be for Seattle departures, and maybe San Diego. Otherwise, forget it. I hate to fly anymore. Did it for too long, and I loathe being part of a cattle-car operation. Just getting too old and crochety and unwilling to deal with the unneccessary hassle, I suppose.

Good question, by the way!

my kids and grandchildren live in the ft laud area --so we always go early to spend time with them before we cruise -- like having your cake and eating it too----------------have sailed out of galveston--- san diego and vanc bc-----------we live in portland oregon

<<How much of your decision whether to cruise, or to travel in general, rests upon how convenient/ inconvenient/ costly / unpalatable getting there and home will be for a given trip>>

all of the above enters into the equation but the bottom line is if we want to really go on the cruise we spring for it -----

After years of flying and some bad ones among them, I made the decision several years ago that I will never fly again. That has a great impact on where we cruise from. We will cruise from anywhere on the east coast. Will never do Alaska or Europe unless there is a ship that will take me there from the east coast!

Most definitely it makes a big difference. When we first started cruising it was in the Caribbean but the time it take to get across the U.S. and getting there a day ahead we just found it to be so much easier to cruise here on the West Coast. For us it is not the money factor like some, 90% of the time I use air miles or upgrade to first class with air miles. For us it is just conveniece. We have limited time off work at for each occurance so we want to spend as much as possible on the ship not traveling and staying at hotels. For us the distination is the ship even if we have been on a particular ship several times, that is why San Diego is so great for us. On SW Airlines it is less than an hour flight and those flights go out almost hourly from Las Vegas to San Diego. We live very close to Mc Carren airport and we all know how close the airport is to the pier in San Diego. I just wish that HAL would have several different ships going out of San Diego to give us just a bit more variety.

We have not flown to the East Coast for a cruise since we were on the Maasdam last July, we have had three cruises since with another 3 more booked and getting ready to book another three all 6 on the West Coast. Maybe we will venture back to the East Coast for 2008 because we would like to return to the Maasdam. But then again it will depend on when and where the new Signature Class Inaugural Cruise will be, we would definitely like to try doing that one.:)

While air travel certainly isn't the joy it used to be, the hassles and expense haven't entered into our cruise decisions. We look at it simply as part of the cost of feeding our habit! :)

However, we have passed on some extremely interesting itineraries in Austrailia and New Zealand because of the very, very lengthy flights to get there. I'm just not ready to endure that long a flight at this point.

We are taking our first cruise in Nov 06. We will be on the Maasdam. We chose that cruise because it is going out of Norfolk as we only live about an hours drive away. We were sad to here that HAL will soon no longer be going out of that port. I sure hope they come back.

Janet

I fired off my previous email (post # 4) in a hurry, which is always a mistake. I'd like to add to, and amend, my post. I would consider any ports close to my home for my future cruise plans, and these would include Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. I would still do west coast air travel, on my airline of choice, Alaska Air, and I would still do Hawaii air travel, also on my airline of choice, Hawaiian Air. Both these carriers still include (or did when I last flew them) some kind of meal service as part of their itineraries, even in economy. From Seattle to Hawaii we have many direct and even non-stop flights from which to choose. The flights are long, but not a hassle.

So the bottome line is really geographical. Many people prefer cruise departures from ports they can easily access. I think the cruise lines know this, as we now have so many new ports of embarkation since the calamity of 9/11. Being able to board a cruise ship without going through an airport will certainly influence my travel choices in the future.

But many others will still fly, as air travel is really the cheapest, fastest mode of transport for most travelers. For many, the destination is the goal, and the means of getting there is really not an issue. For my almost-college-age daughter, she would much prefer to travel by train/air/on foot, in order to spend a lot of time at a specific location, and really learn about its history and culture. Cruising for her, at her age, would be a pleasant diversion, but she would not consider it real travel.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to check in with my two cents!:)

How much of your decision whether to cruise, or to travel in general, rests upon how convenient/ inconvenient/ costly / unpalatable getting there and home will be for a given trip?

Do you find yourself saying "No Way" more often than in the past when you research what air travel demands you will have to tolerate?

Have you passed up a cruise you would have otherwise probably booked but the air travel was too unappealing?

I don't have this option. I'm kind of stuck here unless I fork out the dough for air fare. So, when we DO go on vacation, we make it a BIG vacation.

If HAL would put at least one ship in Galveston, we would be very happy campers. The port is 5 1/2 hours from our house, an easy drive. We have done several cruises out of Galveston (all of our non-HAL cruises) and enjoy the convenience.

Until such time as HAL comes to its senses, we'll just have to put up with the expense and hassle of air travel. Air travel just ain't what it used to be. Even if you upgrade to first class, there are no guarantees that the service will be that great. We had the surliest cabin attendant on AA in January; I finally confronted her about her rudeness.

At this point in time, how I get to the port of embarkation for a cruise is not a determining factor in whether I book a particular cruise or not. However, I am becoming increasingly "picky" about connection times. Some airlines seem to think that just because they provide one with the "minimum legal connection times", that is satisfactory. For me: it is NOT! I have tried to make tight connections at both O'Hare as well as DFW. I have a 50% success rating. Such connections are not worth the stress, both when I am on the plane before landing, wondering--will I make it? Will the luggage make it?--as well as running through the airport trying to get to the gate before the plane's door closes. For that reason, I am finding greater satisfaction, unfortunately at a somewhat higher price, by requesting custom air arrangements and getting the connections/flights that suit me.

I decry the "Greyhound of the Sky" situation that flying has now become. Currently, flying is like traveling by bus was when I was a college student.

We were moaning and groaning about 5-7 hour flights to California and Alaska for cruises until our Alaska/Coastal cruise last year which had a lot of international travelers. Our tablemates were from Scotland and England, and through our CC group, we met a nice couple from Australia....all of whom had traveled much farther and longer than we had. They all seemed to think it was just a part of getting where they wanted to go, and if that's what they had to do, so be it. We asked the Australians how they handled that loooong flight, and they said they "just did it."

This year we bit the bullet, too....and booked the cruise of my dreams....a b2b South Seas cruise next year that will give us 22 sea days exploring French Polynesia and Hawaii. Neither of us is thrilled by the long flights....but I'm not getting any younger and Bora Bora is not getting any closer. We're going to break up the flying as much as we can, but in the end we'll just have to grit our teeth and "just do it."

While air travel certainly isn't the joy it used to be, the hassles and expense haven't entered into our cruise decisions. We look at it simply as part of the cost of feeding our habit! :) ...........

LOL, Jim:D .... it's a good thing! There aren't a whole lot of ports in Vegas!!

The distance to embarkation does not figure in our decision at all.

Usually, I want to see somewhere I've never been before, and consider the ship a great way to get from A to B. I would also travel to a distant destination to travel on a ship I would really like.

I would rather take a land-based vacation at this point than drive down to Galveston just because its the closest port. Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc., been there, done that. There are no ships leaving Galveston that are on my A list. If HAL would put a smaller ship there and offer some 10+ day intineraries, we would consider that.

Beth

My main concern is getting to the destination in a fairly straight shot without having to overnight en route. We take quite a few trips to the Carribean from the west coast, and you really can't get to certain destinations the same day, or get in so late that the day is wasted, so we have to rely on the red-eyes to make the trip more palatable (oxymoron??). Plus, I always try to keep connect times to a reasonable minimum, because nothing is more boring than hanging around some airport lounge for 6 hours. Well, hanging out in the airport proper is worse.

We have scuttled emerging plans because of too long of layovers or overnighting requirements, but as a general rule, these itmes are rarely show stoppers and can be planned around.

Yes, absolutely!

For one thing, the cost of the air fare hast o be factored into the overall cost of the cruise. This is obviously a major obstacle right there.

As for the hassle of flying, I will tolerate a lot more if I feel there is someplace really worthwhile on the other end! This means I am much more likely to fly to Europe for a cruise there than I am to fly to Florida for a Caribbean cruise when I could just as well hop on a ship right here in New York and go to the Caribbean if I feel like getting away from the winter cold.

I must admit, there is something wonderful about not having to fly. It makes travel infinitely easier. If I had the time and money, I would try to avoid flying altogether and instead take very long cruises as much as possible! Alas I have neither the time nor money for that so I am grateful to be able to fly instead.

I was a flight attendant for Pan Am for seven years (1979-1986), and I can tell you I am appalled at what air travel has become in recent years.

My next cruise choices will probably be for Seattle departures, and maybe San Diego. Otherwise, forget it. I hate to fly anymore. Did it for too long, and I loathe being part of a cattle-car operation. Just getting too old and crochety and unwilling to deal with the unneccessary hassle, I suppose.

Good question, by the way!

middle-aged mom...I agree with you whole heartedly..I was in the Airline Business for 30 years before we retired & moved to Fl..I'm also "appalled at what air travel has become" & it is a "cattle-car operation..

We enjoy the longer cruises 14 days +, but my DH is 6'2" (mostly legs) & can't fit in the Economy seats...We can't afford to pay for a Business Class upgrade & also cruise as often & as long as we do ...We travel with dear friends & the Gentleman is also 6'2" (all legs)..Now both Men have decided they no longer want to fly round-trip..:( Therefore, our cruises are becoming more restricted..We took a Canal cruise out of FLL last Dec. & flew O.W. from Santiago on AA..Both men hated the flight because they could not fit in their seats, especially if the person in front tried to put the seat back!:( ..Their knees were flat against the seat in front of them & the tray table could not be lowered for them to eat unless they stretched both legs out in the aisle..Told my DH that he was getting old & crotchety too!..;)LOL.. Of course my friend & I are only 5'1" & we are able to get some sleep..Guess we have to be fair to our spouses....We were so glad that our recent Amazon Cruise on HAL was RT Fort Lauderdale..:)

Still hoping to get my DH on an Alaska cruise & a South Pacific Cruise.. Just have to work a little harder to convince him..Or perhaps we'll win the lottery so we can upgrade..

Happy planning all..:) Betty

So far we have been lazy cruisers and only go out of ports we can drive to. We prefer Tampa (much less hassle than FLL). But we are sad that HAL no longer uses Port Canaveral and so glad that they don't sail out of Miami. We put in our time driving to Miami ferrying our sons back and forth to college.:)

Well sail------

As you know if we have not cruised the Caribbean or Canada/New England since May 2005.

We wanted to do Hawaii, Sea of Cortez, Mexican Riviera, Alaska since we hadn't done most of them in a couple of years.

We knew that traveling to get to the various ports would not be easy since we would not have any direct flights. So we made the decision that we did want to go to other places inspite of air travel. And we did. We, of course, didn't anticpate both of us having health issues this year - but we did manage do make those trips.

Will we did those kind of trips soon? Don't know. It all depends on what happens to DH over the next year.

And we do love the Sea of Cortez, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska and dp hope to cruis all of them in the future.

As for Hawaii - we will do what we have done several times in the past - fly there on our own, island hope, and spend as much time as went there - no more cruises - too short of time in each port.

We may dread it, but long, difficult trips have not deterred us. In the last nine years, we’ve made seven round trip flights to Europe, two to South America, plus several to either coast in the US. In January we did the long trip to Sydney and back from Fiji. Actually, the 14½ hour flight from LAX wasn’t as bad as some of the others because we managed to get at least a little sleep. Now, next March we will do it again: To Sydney and back from Osaka for a Statendam cruise!:D

As DH is a plane crash survivor, if we can't drive there we don't go. This has occasioned some creativity in planning cruises. Several times we've left from San Diego debarked in Florida and turned it into a land trip driving back to the west coast.

We have been forced :rolleyes: to take a few longer cruises such as 30 and 45 days to accomplish this but you know somebody has to do it. We might as well make the sacrifice. :)

We have been forced :rolleyes: to take a few longer cruises such as 30 and 45 days to accomplish this but you know somebody has to do it. We might as well make the sacrifice. :)

I would love to be in the position to make such sacrifices ;) ...

I am lucky not to be at all afraid of flying (I have plenty of other phobias to make up for it ;) ...); since I have been doing it since I was about ten months old it seems like second nature. However, were I a plane crash survivor I might feel differently!

Indeed, the act of flying itself I actually enjoy, but the business on the groud is now such a hassle that I would just as soon not fly at all. However, I am more than happy to do it as I am passionate about travelling (and especially cruising) and there is simply no way I am going to get to many of the places I go without flying.

Archived