Mariner numbers on tickets.

Tinknock50

I just printed mine out and it's a whole new form(2 pages) this time.

and no place for a mariner number.

I also just printed our immigration forms this evening for our upcoming Zaandam cruise this friday. (THIS Friday!!!! :D ) It asked for our number of days, including this cruise, but it didn't ask for, nor did it display, a Mariner number.

I got out our documents. Our docs say OURLASTNAME/PARTY OF 2 with only my dh's Mariner number. Hmmmmmm. Guess I'm calling the TA tomorrow. And now that I think about it, even though we both got pins on the Oosterdam last October, we only received one tile. We have a different TA this time, though, as this cruise is with a group. Still, you'd think HAL would have a consistent policy about how the ticket/contract is labeled when issued.

Robin

I am hearing stories of Mariners having to fill out forms while on ships because there are no records onboard showing they are members.

:)

This is no big deal. That form has ALWAYS been in the cabin.

This is no big deal. That form has ALWAYS been in the cabin.

It is not a big deal. But the point is the ship should know from your records that you are a Mariner. The tiles should be in your cabin so you shouldn't have to ask for them at the front office and register as a Mariner all over again.

It is not a big deal. But the point is the ship should know from your records that you are a Mariner. The tiles should be in your cabin so you shouldn't have to ask for them at the front office and register as a Mariner all over again.

Yes, Sean, that's true. That's what we've been saying. In effect, Seattle couldn't organize a 2-car funeral. Fortunately, the folks on the ships are relatively competent - super-competent when compared to HQ. And given the choice, I'd rather it were that way than the opposite!:rolleyes:

I just wonder what happenned to the information flow between the ship and shore. It never used to be a problem until about 2 years ago.

Seems like a lot of double checking needs to be done more frequently by the passenger now.

Our mariner numbers were shown on our tickets for the Alaska Zuiderdam July 8-15 cruise. We received our invitation to the mariners party the day before the party (which was on the last day of the cruise). I thought that with passengers disembarking in Skagway and new passengers embarking, that there would be no party. We received our tiles on the last day.

no tote bags, no dessert flambes, no Dutch hats! :( We didn't receive our tote bags when we arrived in Juneau (which was the first port) so I went to the front desk and they informed me that they weren't delivered to the ship. So no bags. No dessert flambes and no Dutch hats. On my comment card I mentioned that I didn't receive my tote bag, so I provided my address and they could send it to me. We will just see what happens. I mention all these perks to my friends and they remember, then when I arrive home they ask me about it. Of course, I have to say, no they are cutting back.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll share this here.

Twice, now, I've not been listed as a Mariner.

Once, in 2003 to Alaska, my documents came without my mariner number. My traveling companion's documents had his mariner number printed on his tickets, with the Mariner luggage tags (those small round tags that had "mariner" printed on them ... remember those?) in the packet and everything, but mine didn't have anything to indicate I was a mariner. But I didn't have any trouble getting my tile or invitation to the Mariner reception, etc. I put on the immigration form that I was a mariner with X number of days. I didn't bother my TA.

The second time this happened was for our up-coming cruise to Hawaii. Christopher's Docs had his Mariner number on them, mine did not. I contacted the TA and he said that he was surprised, for his info on me had Mariner number. He contacted HAL to update my booking with my number and they also had it listed. As for why it's not on my tickets ... that's a mystery.

I

The second time this happened was for our up-coming cruise to Hawaii. Christopher's Docs had his Mariner number on them, mine did not. I contacted the TA and he said that he was surprised, for his info on me had Mariner number. He contacted HAL to update my booking with my number and they also had it listed. As for why it's not on my tickets ... that's a mystery.

Greg, just curious did you get the Mariner Luggage tags? (tags that say "Mariner" on them) I can honestly say all of our documents have had Tom's Mariner number only on them, I think once showed both numbers but in recent times only Tom's number appears.

Greg, just curious did you get the Mariner Luggage tags? (tags that say "Mariner" on them) I can honestly say all of our documents have had Tom's Mariner number only on them, I think once showed both numbers but in recent times only Tom's number appears.

Christopher got his Mariner Luggage Tags. I did not ... mine were the non-Mariner sort. Or rather ... I didn't get my Mariner tags in the original doc shipment ... my Mariner Luggage Tags came in a separate shipment yesterday. :D

And ... the difference would be that you and Tom are listed TOGETHER -- your mariner identity is linked because you are husband and wife. Christopher and I are not married. :D ;) You might want to make sure that you ARE getting day-credit for your cruises with Mariner services. Just write 'em and ask. Or phone. :)

Once, in 2003 to Alaska, my documents came without my mariner number. My traveling companion's documents had his mariner number printed on his tickets, with the Mariner luggage tags (those small round tags that had "mariner" printed on them ... remember those?) in the packet and everything, but mine didn't have anything to indicate I was a mariner. But I didn't have any trouble getting my tile or invitation to the Mariner reception, etc. I put on the immigration form that I was a mariner with X number of days.

Hi Greg - I remember on Noordam you received your copper medallion (was so happy for you) but there was an issue with the number of days' credit. Had this situation caused the problem?

John & I have only ever received 1 ticket booklet showing both of our names & Mariner numbers. For Noordam's maiden cruise, we received the new-style luggage tags that have the name of the ship & the word "mariner", PLUS the old-style, blue oval-shaped mariner tags. I think our TA was trying to get rid of some old stock. Since we had them, we used 'em. We also stuck the round blue mariner pins, the ones about 2in across, to the bags.

We received our little blue 25-day mariner lapel pins early. We got them in 2001 when we only had 21 days. We now have 31 days. John wanted to wear them to the ship for embarkation, but I said no, it wasn't right. We hadn't earned them yet. Got another set on Noordam & wore them proudly to the Mariner's reception. So now we have 4 of those little goodies. Anyone else ever get credit early?

Anyone else ever get credit early?

My husband did! He was 7 days behind me in sailing HAL.

Back in the days when medallions were awarded based on miles it took 110 to get the silver medal. I was getting mine for 111 days; we were both shocked when his name was also called. He was so proud of that medal.

That turned out to be his last cruise. I buried the medallion with him.

Hi Greg - I remember on Noordam you received your copper medallion (was so happy for you) but there was an issue with the number of days' credit. Had this situation caused the problem?

No ... my situation was something of an unusual case: would HAL give me credit for a 7-day cruise which I boarded as a passenger and ended as a chaplain (I was drafted during it). :D Without those 7 days I would earn my 100-day medal on the Hawaii Cruise; with those 7 days I would earn it on the Noordam. On the Oosterdam in January I was told that they wouldn't be counted, even though (as I pointed out) I had paid for the cruise. Apparently someone in Seattle changed their mind because -- to my pleasant shock -- I was awarded my medal on the Noordam.

I have just looked at our tickets. We received them in the one booklet, not two like they used to be. On both tickets it has Peter's Mariners number not mine. We also received the old Mariners badges with our docs plus the green and white Veendam luggage tags together with Mariner written in blue.

Jennie

Apparently someone in Seattle changed their mind because -- to my pleasant shock -- I was awarded my medal on the Noordam.

I agree that the medal was due you when it was given since you didn't have to agree to be chaplain when they needed you.

But I also have to wonder if something else was going on re: awarding medallions on the Noordam last winter. I wasn't quite due for my silver medallion on that cruise, yet I was asked if I would like to have it given to me then. :confused: Strange, I thought.

Just checked my docs and alum # is there, only one number and says party of 2. On the Westerdam we only got one tile, I would have gone to the desk but I thought it was only one per stateroom, I WILL ask if we only get one this time.

Our TA had our number because I brought my magazine in with me when I booked. I did not enter it on the immigration docs, just # days.

trvlcarib

Whats the big deal about getting a tile? What exactly is it anyway?

A wonderful present of your cruise from HAL! Another added HAL Dutch benefit inclusive.:D

As a member of the Holland America Line Mariner Society, you will receive a collectable tegel (Dutch word for "tile") on each Holland America cruise beginning with your second cruise. The master craftsmen of Royal Goedewaagen, Holland - producers of authentic Delftware since 1610 - have created these tiles for Holland America Line. Each year, the master decorators create new designs for the tiles, which become part of a series of collector's items available only to guests of Holland America Line. We do not sell the Mariner Society tiles. They are given to our Mariner Society members during their second cruise and all subsequent cruises.

Ruth,

That does it I am no longer going on HAL. I mean it. Uh-oh, I forgot, just made final payment on my Volendam cruise. Have to call the insurance and see if this is a covered reason so I can get my money back.:p NOT!!

Sean,

So far no problems with my bookings but you had a problem on our last cruise on the Oosterdam. Weird.

My Mariner number was on my ticket for my recent cruise; I had no difficulty getting my pin, invitation to the Mariners' Party, correct medallion, or tile.

No difficulty getting the free drink, either! :D (But there weren't any of the good nuts. :( )

Ruth,

That does it I am no longer going on HAL. I mean it. Uh-oh, I forgot, just made final payment on my Volendam cruise. Have to call the insurance and see if this is a covered reason so I can get my money back.:p NOT!!

Sean,

So far no problems with my bookings but you had a problem on our last cruise on the Oosterdam. Weird.

Thats right, Steve. I had to go to the Main Office and remind them I was a Mariner to gey my tile. Maybe HAL is trying to tell me something.:(

.....We hadn't earned them yet. Got another set on Noordam & wore them proudly to the Mariner's reception. So now we have 4 of those little goodies. Anyone else ever get credit early?

Susan, yes, we also received our copper medallions early, ten days early at 90 instead of 100, on Maasdam in FEB 2001. Heard later on that the social hostess on that cruise, Tonya Ward-Tysse (a very classy lady and great at her job) had something to do with that;) .

As far as the Mariner ID number on our last travel docs, it only listed mine and not my wife's. At times, we've received forms in our cabin that dealt with the upcoming Mariner's reception and asked us to confirm the total number of days travelled with HAL.

The ceramic tiles are a very nice gesture on HAL's part in my opinion. For those that have never seen one, this is what they look like. There's also a link on HAL's website that shows the entire collection up 'till now; http://www.hollandamerica.com/mariner/marinerTegels.do

49664517_HALtile.jpg.d73d26a184a80a83bfe6d8d9667ca1bc.jpg

We received our docs yesterday and DH's mariner # was the only one listed. Going back through the copies of our paperwork I see it has always been just his # and we always have gotten two tiles ( except for the time we didn't get any and had to ask).

Archived