Crown Princess Omen which started with the Christening

Sandytoes

:)

My theory - everything happens in threes -- so it looks like you may be ok!

Bad things can come in threes, good things come in tens.

I predict you will have a wonderful cruise.

I know I'll have a Wonderful Cruise.....Thank you....

I forgot about naming Your Boat....Thanks for the site. It brought back memories of my father naming our cruiser and all the tales he would tell us........http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Sea supersitions grew up because the sea has been a dangerous mistress from the time men first set to sea in boats. I personally do not put much faith in superstitions. I met my husband of 13 years the day I broke a mirror. Yes, there are times I want to push him out a high window, but for the most part it's been a fabulous marriage. If this is bad luck, please bring me more.

I'd also like to point out that they have re-used names before. Including Pacific Princess.

Sea supersitions grew up because the sea has been a dangerous mistress from the time men first set to sea in boats. I personally do not put much faith in superstitions. I met my husband of 13 years the day I broke a mirror. Yes, there are times I want to push him out a high window, but for the most part it's been a fabulous marriage. If this is bad luck, please bring me more.
Funny post. Sea superstitions are odd thats all I'm saying.

I think its ridiculous too whats going on with Crown princess but I will say this. This may sound crazy but its a VERY old sea superstition. You never rename or take the name of another vessel its very bad luck in sea history. Princess had another ship named the Crown Princess. They took it off and placed it on the new Crown Princess. I know it sounds crazy but it is a very old superstition. Take it for what its worth.
Please remember there was also a Pacific Princess 1, Sun Princess 1, Dawn Princess 1, Sea Princess 1, Island Princess 1, Golden Princess 1 and Star Princess 1 (maybe that last one isn’t the best example). Grand Princess, the other ship with a list incident, does not have a predecessor in the Princess fleet.

I don’t think Martha Stewart is bad luck. The fuel issue could have happened anywhere and obviously ships list when at sea – there’s nothing wrong with Crown Princess that a few months in service won’t cure…she’s a brand new ship home ported in a brand new terminal and it takes time to get the kinks worked out.

But if we’re going to be superstitious, how about the fact that Diamond Princess burned in the shipyard and was rebuilt and renamed Sapphire Princess and then inaugurated at a later date? The names Diamond and Sapphire have not been used by Princess before.

Whats this "prisendam" ship? When did it sink I don't remember hearing about that? Was it recent? Whos line was it? I hope it wasn't HAL's ship? I mean would you get on a ship named Titanic? I wouldn't that thing would surely be cursed.

Prisendam 1 was a Holland America ship that burned (although I don’t know if it sank) off the Aleutian Islands in October of 1980. Approximately 550 passengers and crew (full complement) were forced into survival craft and while there were no deaths or serious injuries, many got frostbite from water that had gathered at the bottom of the boats. Hence, never go to the survival craft without your shoes. Prisendam 2 was originally built for Royal Viking Line as Royal Viking Sun and has been renamed a number of times as she's been part of a number of different fleets.

Please remember there was also a Pacific Princess 1, Sun Princess 1, Dawn Princess 1, Sea Princess 1, Island Princess 1, Golden Princess 1 and Star Princess 1 (maybe that last one isn’t the best example). Grand Princess, the other ship with a list incident, does not have a predecessor in the Princess fleet.

I don’t think Martha Stewart is bad luck. The fuel issue could have happened anywhere and obviously ships list when at sea – there’s nothing wrong with Crown Princess that a few months in service won’t cure…she’s a brand new ship home ported in a brand new terminal and it takes time to get the kinks worked out.

But if we’re going to be superstitious, how about the fact that Diamond Princess burned in the shipyard and was rebuilt and renamed Sapphire Princess and then inaugurated at a later date? The names Diamond and Sapphire have not been used by Princess before.

Prisendam 1 was a Holland America ship that burned (although I don’t know if it sank) off the Aleutian Islands in October of 1980. Approximately 550 passengers and crew (full complement) were forced into survival craft and while there were no deaths or serious injuries, many got frostbite from water that had gathered at the bottom of the boats. Hence, never go to the survival craft without your shoes. Prisendam 2 was originally built for Royal Viking Line as Royal Viking Sun and has been renamed a number of times as she's been part of a number of different fleets.

As i have said I just don't like reusing names. Also the first Prisendam did sink after buring. Quite an ordeal I would imagine. It was somewhere near Alaska I believe. Even though the life boats today are really big,enclosed power boats it would be EXTREMELY scary to have to get into one in the middle of the north Atlantic. It would still be freaky.

Also the first Prisendam did sink after buring. Quite an ordeal I would imagine. .

The Sinking of the Prinsendam,

from

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/ships/prinsendam-1980.html

Studio) Still-burning cruise ship Prinsendam said to have sunk.

REPORTER: Jessica Savitch

from

http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1980-10/1980-10-11-NBC-14.html

As i have said I just don't like reusing names. Also the first Prisendam did sink after buring. Quite an ordeal I would imagine. It was somewhere near Alaska I believe. Even though the life boats today are really big,enclosed power boats it would be EXTREMELY scary to have to get into one in the middle of the north Atlantic. It would still be freaky.

Prinsendam sunk on October 4, 1980. I remember it well because we were just completing a Bermuda cruise on the Statendam. Many of the HAL crew members were upset because they had friends on the Prinsendam.

The Sinking of the Prinsendam,

from

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/ships/prinsendam-1980.html

Studio) Still-burning cruise ship Prinsendam said to have sunk.

REPORTER: Jessica Savitch

from

http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1980-10/1980-10-11-NBC-14.html

Interesting links. Jessica Savitch (the golden girl) was destined to high profile network news until one night she drove in the canal along the Delaware river in New Hope, NJ after leaving Chez Odette's and died in the accident.

Also the other link mentioned that the USCGC Boutwell assisted in the rescue. I didn't realize that. I had served on a sister ship of the Boutwell and although not stationed on her, I had been aboard her visiting friends.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/ships/prinsendam-1980.html[/url]

I think the problem is with all the extra charges could be hexing the ship.

$420 for 2 deck chairs for the week, $7 hot dog, $1 sushi, a-la-carte menu pricing,

When you throw the typical Princess extra charges such as ice cream, $100 for dinner in your cabin $50 for breakfast in cabin, $80 for the use of the steam room, you have disaster.

I think its ridiculous too whats going on with Crown princess but I will say this. This may sound crazy but its a VERY old sea superstition. You never rename or take the name of another vessel its very bad luck in sea history. Princess had another ship named the Crown Princess. They took it off and placed it on the new Crown Princess. I know it sounds crazy but it is a very old superstition. Take it for what its worth.

Derf may have a link, but from what I understand, Jews feel it's bad luck to name your baby for a living relative. My m-i-l hadn't heard about it, though. She started thinking of all my hubby's relatives' names and many of the girls' names on my list had to be crossed off.

derf5585 - Thanks for that site. Never heard of Jessica Savitch. Very interesting. "Michelle Pfeiffer film called "Up Close and Personal" which was loosely based on Jessica's story."

Hearing old wives tales, superstitious beliefs, omens, lucky & unlucky things are humorous. If you believe in them or not.

Derf may have a link' date=' but from what I understand, Jews feel it's bad luck to name your baby for a living relative. My m-i-l hadn't heard about it, though. She started thinking of all my hubby's relatives' names and many of the girls' names on my list had to be crossed off.[/quote']Ok but naming your kid after the father is not going to possible kill 4,500 people travelling on a giant ship in the middle of the ocean. Superstitions are what they are. You can dismiss it but some take it seriously especially when they are very old superstitions. I just don't like any cruise line using the same name. I will make an exception though in the case of Cunard with Queen Mary because they at least throw a 2 after the name which does actually change the name somewhat. Even if this was the Crown Princess 2 I would feel a little better about it. Also the name Queen Mary is just so elegant.

James...it's the 21st century. We know that things happen for a reason, not because of some old salt's sea tale. I think there have been 5 ships named Rotterdam, by the way.

Okay, I don't pick up pennies unless they're heads-up. But that's a gambler's thing, and we KNOW that when it comes to gambling, you don't mess with Lady Luck. :)

Like I said you can dismiss it if you like but I don't like it. Thats all I'm saying. At the very least it shows a lack of imagination. at the most its bad luck. These are very old sea superstitions. we are just people on cruise ships but i would bet the Captains know about all these sea supersitions. By the way i just read the story on the QE2 getting hit by a rogue wave in 1995. Wow a pretty scary tail by Captain Warwick. Pretty amazing going up and over a 95 foot wave! Yikes that must have been scary for him.

Wow! I never thought of this! It makes sense!

I don't know how much I believe in the curse theory, but not naming a vessel a certain name because it has been used before just does not make sense to me. Does this only apply to not naming it after other ships or boats you have owned? How many ships or boats out there are probably named the Island Princess.

On the other hand, I was thinking I enjoy the jewel names for ships. We could to the Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Topaz Princess, etc. A woman never has too many jewels.

On the other hand, I was thinking I enjoy the jewel names for ships. We could to the Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Topaz Princess, etc. A woman never has too many jewels.

How about the "Tanzanite Princes"

Garnet Princess....

It is said that Noah used a garnet on the bow of his ark to help navigate at night, and garnets have long been carried by people who are traveling, because they believe it will protect them from accidents.

Archived