Crown Princess Omen which started with the Christening

Sandytoes

[and garnets have long been carried by people who are traveling, because they believe it will protect them from accidents.

Garnet

*Repels flying insects. *Protects against lightning. *Is an antidote to plague and fever. *Wards off inflammatory diseases. *Helps the wearer to be firm and steadfast. *Guarantees cheerfulness if obtained lawfully. *Is a curse to those who have acquired it unlawfully. *Changes color when danger approaches. *Perpetuates friendships.

from

http://www.findyourfate.com/gemology/superstition.htm#garnet

Wow! I never thought of this! It makes sense!
Yeah its something to think about. Like i said at the very least it shows a lack of imagination at the most its bad luck according to sea superstition. why not just have new names for new ships?

Although cruising can be only about the ship and not the destination; just like a hotel/restaurant and even a new home; it takes at least 6 months to iron out the kinks.

I will NEVER board a brand new ship; dine in a brand new restaurant; sleep in a brand new hotel or buy a brand new home without tons of guarantees from the builder! I can speak of all of these first hand; because I lived them......NEVER AGAIN!

Lessons are sometimes learned the hard way! ;)

You are looking at this the wrong way, imo.

1. the fuel problem was found before the engines were damaged.

2. No one died in, "the thing." The ship is still in good shape and it's not some horrible computer thing that will be following it for life.

3. It's a tropical storm in the summer in the Caribbean. Um, c:\DUH!! They happen.

While unfortunate I can hardly blame this on Martha and Princess has re-named ships before.

I named three of my children after either my husband, a birth father or a grandparent. No issue re-using names.

Now if they bring a cat onboard...

Nancy

I like your positive attitude. That's why I enjoy readng your posts so much!

Garnet

*Repels flying insects. *Protects against lightning. *Is an antidote to plague and fever. *Wards off inflammatory diseases. *Helps the wearer to be firm and steadfast. *Guarantees cheerfulness if obtained lawfully. *Is a curse to those who have acquired it unlawfully. *Changes color when danger approaches. *Perpetuates friendships.

from

http://www.findyourfate.com/gemology/superstition.htm#garnet

Doesn't garnet also prevent listing...? ;)

List of Myths from the Sea

• Never whistle on a boat. It calls up the wind.
  • Boats shouldn't be named after an engaged woman because the seas get jealous.
  • Don't paint a boat blue.
  • Don't set sail on a Thursday.
  • Don't say "pig" on a boat.
  • Never harm a bird at sea. Birds bring good luck.
  • Taking an umbrella aboard a ship is unlucky.

List of Myths from the Sea

• Never whistle on a boat. It calls up the wind.
  • Boats shouldn't be named after an engaged woman because the seas get jealous.
  • Don't paint a boat blue.
  • Don't set sail on a Thursday.
  • Don't say "pig" on a boat.
  • Never harm a bird at sea. Birds bring good luck.
  • Taking an umbrella aboard a ship is unlucky.

Our last cruise began on a Thursday. And we took our umbrellas (didn't use them).

Of course, there's always the old Cruise Critic's saying: Don't sail on a new ship until it's been in service for at least six months.

Glad we weren't here when we booked the Sapphire for its third month of sailing. That was one of our best cruises ever.

Interesting links. Jessica Savitch (the golden girl) was destined to high profile network news until one night she drove in the canal along the Delaware river in New Hope, NJ after leaving Chez Odette's and died in the accident.

Also the other link mentioned that the USCGC Boutwell assisted in the rescue. I didn't realize that. I had served on a sister ship of the Boutwell and although not stationed on her, I had been aboard her visiting friends.

Spender Nui: You live in Valley Forge! You know better than that.

New Hope is in PENNSYLVANIA.

Spender Nui: You live in Valley Forge! You know better than that.

New Hope is in PENNSYLVANIA.

Of course I do. I even lived in Bucks County and subscribed to the Bucks County Playhouse, in New Hope, for years.

What about HAL.... they are on their fourth Noordam :eek: !

it's not the ship or the name of it it's the passengers themself,their horoscope,a well known man looked at the horoscope of passengers who died after an accident, they all had constellations in it that showed that their end is near.

Don't worry, Patches, there are simple remedies to any naming problems. Be sure to pack a lucky four-leaf clover, rabbit's foot, a garnet, magic juju dust available at any reputable occult store, and a new penny. Also, sacrifice a chicken before you embark. If that makes you uneasy, consuming a bucket of the Colonel's best will suffice.

The human mind has a great ability to link consecutive events and determine causation. Unfortunately, it's often wrong.

:D

Well, I've bitten my tongue until now.

What a crock!

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the Royal Navy and the US Navy to stop recycling names of their ships also.

Again you may dismiss it but we are just passengers on a cruise ship. I will bet captains of these ships know about these superstitions. There are reasons for them.

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the Royal Navy and the US Navy to stop recycling names of their ships also.

USS Enterprise

from

http://www.cv6.org/

Shuttle Enterprise (test shuttle)

from

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/dsh/artifacts/HS-Enterprise.htm

USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D)

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-D)

Archived