Live from Zenith - Aug 5th Bermuda

LauraS

Great to hear your report. My brother, wife and 2 girls are on that cruise. I am hoping they are having a good time. If you happen to see them walking around (Sea Raider & Bermuda Rose is my brother and his oldest girl) tell them I said hi and that I miss them.

Can't wait until your next report.

Hi Vicki. I wouldn't worry about noise on deck 5 near the aft stairs. We just returned ***** Saturday & my daughter had 5099 & loved it because it was so convenient to the elevator & never she heard any noise. We have had rooms near the elevators on other cruises & never had a problem. Speaking of the elevators, they have to be the slowest at sea, so I would advise either walking or getting on when the doors open, regardless of whether it's going up or down! That was our only complaint; everything else was superb. Zenith is a great ship, you'll love her!

Rich

Rich,

WOW, you really put my mind at ease since I'm in cabin 5099! I'm so happy to hear that your daughter loved the cabin thanks for writing back so fast.

Any other tips you would like to pass along? After as many cruises as I've been on you wouldn't think that I would be this excited but I am. We only sail once in a while nowadays since my money goes to owning horses so this is a big treat for me.

Thanks,

Vicki

Re: the secret on deck 10. Be sure to check out where these lovely places are on all ships. Even though we were on deck 4 on Mercury, I went looking for these places and found what we were looking for on (shhhhhh) deck 8 aft. What a great place to see the inside passage. Please don't tell anyone...we had it as our families special place for the whole cruise!!

Hi Laura,

Loving your posts ... chicken piccata in light lemon sauce sounds great...I bet it isn't too bad POINTS-wise (hey, lemon falls into the fruit/veggie category!) ;)

I'll let you know how I do this week.

Melissa

Hi folks!

I figured I'd take a few moments while the rest of my bunch is attending the kids program orientation right next door and say "hi".

FYI: I'm traveling with my sister and my niece, age 8.

Embarkation at Bayonne (Cape Liberty) had to be the fastest I've ever encountered! Upon noticing we were in the Concierge Class cabin, they wisked us away to a VIP Lounge (yes, that's what it was called). Less than 5 minutes -- I'm not kidding - and we were on our way to ship via shuttle.

We arrived at the ship at exactly 1pm, our stateroom was waiting. This is my first time aboard Zenith....so I was a bit unprepared for the size of the stateroom. I could use about 10 sq feet more of space. They brought up the luggage within 15 minutes....and we were hysterical over climbing over the stuff. But, plenty of storage space too unpack stuff into, and stow the suitcases under the beds.

The bathroom, relatively speaking to the rest of the cabin, is really quite large...especially the shower. I will share that there is a bit of a sewagy stinky smell in the bathroom, not too too bad but definitely noticeable. We asked our cabin stewardess, Brenda, to look imto it for us right away.

There are robes, a few gifts for us -- umbrella and totebag -- fancy shower head, fresh flowers in the room and bathroom, champagne on ice and a bucket of fruit. Appetizers were delivered before dininer -- for conciege class staterooms.

We just finished dinner, I had the "Rejuvanations Menu" -- lighter fare (I'm going to try to NOT PUT a pound on -- doing WW right now). We'll see how long I last! I had veal piccata in a light lemon sauce and left one piece on the plate (How's that Mel???).

Anyway, I'll try and stop by tomorrow. The Cruise Critic Connections party will be at 9:30 am -- I forgot where. Our "pins" and invite were waiting for us in our stateroom.

We'll be going to the HILARIOUS Jim Mulligan Comedy Show shortly!

Don't miss me too much!

Laura

PS: Hi Al & Dan :)

• Administrators

Hi All:

Sorry I missed posting last night....was very tired from a very full day

We were in the first group off the ship yesterday, and headed over to the ferry dock, where we ended up taking a glass bottom boat tour -- no reservations necessary! $40 pp, my niece was free and worth every penny.

Two hours later we were back on land and did some shopping. I like to enjoy the quiet on the ship during port days, so we headed back and did the baking/pool/reading thing.

We saw the show -- it was a very funny comedian magician. Now, somehow I found myself on stage for one of this tricks -- seems I looked like his Aunt Wilma or something. My co-workers would be very surprised that he got me up there....but I had a good time. Now, everyone on the ship recognizes me as the "Aunt Wilma lookalike" -- not just the lady wearing the cc logowear.

Starspangle -- we met your family, nice folks and BermudaRose is a doll! I'm sure they are having a great time -- so far gorgeous weather both days here in Hamilton.

Today, we spent the day at horsehoe bay -- we took the bus out there and it was a easy task -- except it is very hot here! I ended up taking a cab back -- cost $20 with tip and well worth not sweating! Horseshoe Bay is glorious!

OK, that's it for today.; I'll try and stop by tomorrow again. We leave in the am for St. George.

Thanks for the umbrella info, I will double check on whether it is a gift or not!

PS: LOVING those iced towels as you get back on board!

Laura

PPS: Dan & Al: Wish you were here!

PPPS to Mel: Ditched those points sometime yesterday -- I'll pay when I get home!!! lol

Mom

• Administrators

Doug: You may have hit on something re: the furniture in the CC cabin. They've got that couch in there, plus this glass table, plus the desk etc etc etc. I've been moving furniture since I entered the cabin on Sat.....Something needs to go -- but we end up using it all!

:::shrugging shoulders:::: we're not in there that much anyway

for telling me about my brother and Bermuda Rose, she is quite a kid. Before she left for the cruise she was asking about the Bermuda Triangle. I was hoping that they were enjoying the whole cruise thing.

Glad that you are having good weather, next time when I'm in Bermuda I will make sure that I get to horseshoe bay.

How is the food on that ship? I hear that it's better then the others.

I keep signing on CC waiting for your posts, I guess you can say I wish I was there too. Well I can't wait to read your next post regarding St.George, it's a small town but really quaint. I remember a beach being very close by, near the ship, walking distance.

ENJOY!!!!!

Re: the secret on deck 10. Be sure to check out where these lovely places are on all ships. Even though we were on deck 4 on Mercury, I went looking for these places and found what we were looking for on (shhhhhh) deck 8 aft. What a great place to see the inside passage. Please don't tell anyone...we had it as our families special place for the whole cruise!!

Thanks - now I am reconsidering my cabin selection for my October cruise to Bermuda on Zenith. We are going with first time cruisers and they talked me into going midship so we booked cabin # 5040. My preference was with # 9099 for the very reason that only 1 floor away from a practical personal verandah, similiar to the Galaxy.

And please keep the review going - all of us here stateside appreciate all of the great information you are passing along.

Jim

Nice to hear some "real time" reports - not just before and after.

We are booked on the Zenith for Dec 29 (Ultimate Western) but we were on the Horizon (our 1st Celebrity cruise) in 2001. We love the intimacy and quiet of a small ship. We found the room o.k. but we were just 2.

I keep hearing about the Zenith and bathroom troubles but to be honest, depending on where you're located on any ship that I've been on so far, there is always some "odour" on some day!

Hope you have smooth sailing !!!!

A big advantage of being midship is that if the water is rocky (and this is the Atlantic Ocean) you feel it less midship.

On our cruise, the trip down was not so smooth but we never felt it. CC Stateroom 1045.

Which side of the ship is the Statue of Liberty on on the way out of the harbor? I know: the Statue never moves, but looking at the map and talking to Celebrity leads me to two different answers. Yes, if it's on Port outbound, then it must be on Starboard inbound - or POSH. But this really isn't a rhetorical question as we are booked and I want to be sure that we are on the correct side outbound in case one of us must be in our cabin.

Thanks for your postings and I am ever so anxious to be there.

Laura, if you are still on board the Zenith.....can you find out some info on the Solstice.........We have a group of about 20-30 who want to have a reunion in 2008 on the Solstice (we met on the Mercury)......See what you can find out for us, ok? :confused:

[email-joycando@aol.com]Email me[/email]

[quote name='10splyr']Which side of the ship is the Statue of Liberty on on the way out of the harbor? ... I want to be sure that we are on the correct side outbound in case one of us must be in our cabin.[/quote]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]10splyr,

Bayonne (aka "Cape Liberty") is south of the Statue of Liberty, so the ship doesn't sail past it on the way in or out of the harbor as it would if you were departing from Manhattan.

As the Zenith pulls out of its berth and into the harbor, the statue is on the port side, but in the distance. Moreover, the ship quickly turns to starboard to head toward the sea; at that point, the Statue of Liberty is pretty much astern, and it recedes by the minute.

In other words, the best view of it as you as you sail away will be from the stern of the ship. The best view as you enter New York Harbor on your return would be from the Fleet Bar, looking forward. In both instances, a pair of binoculars is useful.

Cheers,

John
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Maybe you should tell Celebrity that as the agent I spoke with said we would sail right next to it! Shows you what she knows:confused: . It's not the first time we have been in NYC, and we have been to the Statue, but I thought it is was going to be a "Kodak moment," I wanted the best vantage point. I'll just look at whatever scenery presents itself as we sail away.

When we took our cruise to Bermuda we left from New York instead of Philadelphia (which was an option 2 years ago) because my wife wanted to sail by the Statue of Liberty. Glad we went when we did.

[quote name='Post Captain'][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]10splyr,

Bayonne (aka "Cape Liberty") is south of the Statue of Liberty, so the ship doesn't sail past it on the way in or out of the harbor as it would if you were departing from Manhattan.

As the Zenith pulls out of its berth and into the harbor, the statue is on the port side, but in the distance. Moreover, the ship quickly turns to starboard to head toward the sea; at that point, the Statue of Liberty is pretty much astern, and it recedes by the minute.

In other words, the best view of it as you as you sail away will be from the stern of the ship. The best view as you enter New York Harbor on your return would be from the Fleet Bar, looking forward. In both instances, a pair of binoculars is useful.

Cheers,

John
[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

• Administrators
So it poured today. We got drenched. But not soon enough for me to NOT embarass myself at the Crystal Caves....

We took the no. 3 bus to the Crystal Caves, arrived early and everything. We did the combo tour for $21 pp, got in line and were just about ready to head down into the Fantasy Cave. I got six steps down...when the walls started closing in on me....and i *HAD* to get out. Yep. That's right. Had to push past a whole line of folks - 'excuse me, gotta get outta here!!". Geez. I forgot I'm a bit claustrophobic. My sister and niece say, " Very steep and high stairs, pretty cool inside. 88 steps DOWN, but don't forget you have to come up. Crystal Cave a bit easier to navigate -- but if you see one cave with stalagmites"...well you get the idea. They both thought the "Fantasy" Cave was nicer.

Headed back to quaint St. George, promptly got drenched and got back on boad Zenith for lunch. After it cleared up, we did the shopping gig.

Tomorrow we hope to do the beach thing, but the weather, well, I think we have more of the same on tap again.

Oh, we just saw the show -- it was a comedian/juggler named Charlie Peachock -- he was awesome and FUNNY!!!!! The entertainment om board has been fantastic, expecially the "booked" acts.

Note to BermudaRoses' family: we touched base at Crystal Caves....they are having a great time and were happy to hear you were asking about them.

Cya all tomorrow,

Laura

I do think Fantasy Cave is nicer than Crystal Cave.

I had been to Crystal Cave before but Fantasy was new to me this year. Last time I'd been in Bermuda, it had not yet been (re-)opened to the public.

Hope your cruise continues to go well otherwise.

Tomorrow you leave Bermuda... If you don't post again before then, have a safe crossing home!

I hope it insn't raining too much for you guys not to enjoy yourselves. I guess it's that time of year in Bermuda where out of the blue, bam thunderstorm. It sounds as if you have a little sun now and then which is good, when I was there last year it rained the whole time going, while there and on our way back.
Sorry about your mishap at the caves but I can understand feeling like the walls are coming in, good thing you ran.
I'm sure it feels like your vacation went fast but for those of us here at home the week felt like two. I just can't wait to hear about the entire trip from my family. I'm sure Bermuda Rose and her sister will fill me in on every detail from start to finish.
Well enjoy the rest of your cruise and thank you so much for the messages.
I'm gonna be at the dock early on Saturday because I am so excited to see everyone.

[B][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3]Your posts are invaluable to me! We're cruising to Bermuda on Zenith in April 2007...and it's my first! I's SO stoked! Your recaps are giving me a good feel for what happens, excursions, cuisine, etc. [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3]From a grateful novice![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

• Administrators
Sorry for missing yesterday, folks, but I got down to the puters very late and found that my card would no longer work! So here I am...

Yesterday -- our second day in St. Georges -- it poured literally all day long. It appeared to me that most, like us, stayed on board. We watched a few poor souls scurrying around in the drenching rain, we weren't going to try it.

So, what did we do! Relaxed, enjoyed the Zenith and all she has to offer. Oh, and we went to the breakfast buffet. Then, I took a Captain's Club Tour for Elite Members, and then visited the buffet for a quick snack. Took a quick walk around the ship....visited the buffet...well, you get the idea! lolol

Last night was formal night and the food was excellent! Lobster of course, and my sister and I shared an order of Prime Rib as well. (How many points was THAT, Mel :) ) They did the baked alaska parade, of course! Also, last nigh was the Grand Buffet Magnifique'. Slept right through it. Sorry can't offer up any experiences with that. The viewing time was at ll:45 with serving starting at 12:15am. Hope that helps someone!

Here's my biggest tip: DEFINITELY make sure you have plans of some kind for St. Georges -- whether it be a shore excursion or something you've planned on your own. It is a quaint small town -- nice to walk around for about, maybe two hours or so. Plan Plan Plan for St. Georges!

We did Bingo again yesterday afternoon (between buffet visits - he he) and didn't win. BOO. My niece spent the afternoon in the Children's Program -- along with 33 others. It appeared they had fun -- it was "Pirate Day" - plenty of treasure hunts and "arrrghing" going around!

After dinner, we took in the show -- called "That 60's Show". Well. Hmmm. Let me first say this young group of performers was very talented, especiallly Jill the lead singer. And, all the songs were recognizeable to me, since I grew up in the 60's - another bonus. I just found it sad that these talented folks had to wear these absolutely silly costumes -- one was a Campbell's Soup Can -- another was a HUGE FOAM BEEHIVE on their heads (one poor dancer's beehive kept falling over her eyes!)! I know entertainment is in the eyes of the beholder, but the only place anyone could get away with this is on a cruise ship! They need to find a better way to showcase the talent of these young, professional and capable performers..

OK, off my soapbox! We're on our way home and we're ready to relax the day away on Zenith! I've really enjoyed this cruise, mostly because I had an opportunity to spend time with my sister and my niece! I really liked the fact that we were in one place for four days, it reallly gives you the opportunity to get to "know" what Bermuda is all about.

I have to say I missed not having a balcony. Perhaps it is due to my being a bit claustrophobic, I think! A couple of nights I just wanted to open the dang window!!!!

Turns out, the Library/Card Room is my favorite place on board (right here where the puters are). They have these huge, comfy chairs and ottomans that you can easily fall asleep in (and I have -- along with many others).

My next favorite spot is the aft deck on 10! Shhh....don't tell anyone!

Signing off for now, here's hoping for as smooth a disembarkation as embarkation! I don't think Celebrity will drop the ball, the service has been wonderful and we've had a great time!

Laura

PS: Al - They're letting us off at 9:45 am!

Archived