Live from Zenith - Aug 5th Bermuda

LauraS

• Administrators

Hi folks!

I figured I'd take a few moments while the rest of my bunch is attending the kids program orientation right next door and say "hi".

FYI: I'm traveling with my sister and my niece, age 8.

Embarkation at Bayonne (Cape Liberty) had to be the fastest I've ever encountered! Upon noticing we were in the Concierge Class cabin, they wisked us away to a VIP Lounge (yes, that's what it was called). Less than 5 minutes -- I'm not kidding - and we were on our way to ship via shuttle.

We arrived at the ship at exactly 1pm, our stateroom was waiting. This is my first time aboard Zenith....so I was a bit unprepared for the size of the stateroom. I could use about 10 sq feet more of space. They brought up the luggage within 15 minutes....and we were hysterical over climbing over the stuff. But, plenty of storage space too unpack stuff into, and stow the suitcases under the beds.

The bathroom, relatively speaking to the rest of the cabin, is really quite large...especially the shower. I will share that there is a bit of a sewagy stinky smell in the bathroom, not too too bad but definitely noticeable. We asked our cabin stewardess, Brenda, to look imto it for us right away.

There are robes, a few gifts for us -- umbrella and totebag -- fancy shower head, fresh flowers in the room and bathroom, champagne on ice and a bucket of fruit. Appetizers were delivered before dininer -- for conciege class staterooms.

We just finished dinner, I had the "Rejuvanations Menu" -- lighter fare (I'm going to try to NOT PUT a pound on -- doing WW right now). We'll see how long I last! I had veal piccata in a light lemon sauce and left one piece on the plate (How's that Mel???).

Anyway, I'll try and stop by tomorrow. The Cruise Critic Connections party will be at 9:30 am -- I forgot where. Our "pins" and invite were waiting for us in our stateroom.

We'll be going to the HILARIOUS Jim Mulligan Comedy Show shortly!

Don't miss me too much!

Laura

PS: Hi Al & Dan :)

Laura ~ you left the boys at home alone???? :o

Thanks for stopping by and posting. I know everyone loves hearing from folks who are on-board. Kind of makes us feel like we are there with you! Boy do I need a cruise!!!!

Have a blast and stop back when you can. We DO miss you!

Looking forward to hearing more.

You think your cabin is small?! Assuming it is a standard ZENITH cabin, it should actually be quite large, 172 sq ft.

The standard cabins on Royal Caribbean, NCL and Princess ships are certainly all smaller, anyway (except REGAL PRINCESS which has huge cabins).

To me, anything over 150 sq ft or so is more than large enough for two or three people. Four... Maybe a stretch. For one - well, I have never seen a cabin that would be too small for me to occupy alone. I guess the smallest cabin I've seen must be an inside single aboard QE2, around 92 sq ft. It actually did not seem that tiny to me, given that it was a single!

Now, bathroom size is a different matter. I certainly would rather have a larger bathroom than a larger cabin. Recently this sentiment was also expressed by Andy Collier, the head of SMC Design, a very large ship design firm (they did QM2 and parts of the VOYAGER-class ships and all the new NCL ships and so on). I was absolutely thrilled to hear it! Who needs a sitting area if the shower is clearly suitable only for the emaciated?

Anyhow, sorry for rambling on (and straight off-topic) like this. Do enjoy the Connections party tomorrow morning. On my cruise the Event Coordinator, Cruise Director, Hotel Director, Future Cruise Consultant and a photographer all showed up. Oh, and a steward too, to serve the coffee. I think the members were nearly outnumbered by the staff!

Doug ~ I've never been one to get out the tape measure to compare "real" sizes, but we were in a standard cabin on Zenith in March and it was no where near the size of our standard cabins on any RCI or Princess ship. We had three of us and there wasn't even room in the cabin for a standard pull-out sofa bed for a third person. There was barely room for an extra chair next to our bed. Amanda was in a pullman from the ceiling. Our cabin on Zenith was definitely the smallest cabin we've ever stayed in for the three of us. In fact, we couldn't really even get to the bathroom from my side of the bed once the pullman was out for the night.

Laura ~ I'm assuming you are all in the same cabin?

Hi Laura, Hope you enjoy your cruise. I really love Zenith:).

As to the cabin size....I guess it really does depends on what you

are used to having.

Out of 9 cruises on X...7 have been either an inside or window

and 172 was the standard size (I think).

I agree with Doug...150 and over is plenty for me.

If you are used to 190+ with baloncies, suites, etc. then it might

feel small.

Hope you have a great week and thanks for posting.:)

Laura,

Delighted that you're doing this cruise on Zenith. We are booked for next April - our first on Zenith. Looking forward to hearing your further impressions about the ship AND about using it as a hotel in Bermuda. We are thinking of doing all land exploration on our own so really are interested in transportation passes, entrance fees, etc. Have a blast!

Laura,

Delighted that you're doing this cruise on Zenith. We are booked for next April - our first on Zenith. Looking forward to hearing your further impressions about the ship AND about using it as a hotel in Bermuda. We are thinking of doing all land exploration on our own so really are interested in transportation passes, entrance fees, etc. Have a blast!

Hi Sheila,:) the Bermuda Convention and Visitors Bureau has a toll

free number and they will be happy to mail you FREE brochures.

I think the number is 800-Bermuda.

I received some wonderful information a couple of years ago

but have yet to sail to Bermuda...hoping for 2007.

Floris, Zenith is definitely different from X's other ships.

Only 46 tons and the dining room is only one level...2 examples!

She is small and intimate without the bells and whistles of

the bigger ships.

My biggest problem, I love every ship I have sailed;)

• Administrators

I've really enjoyed my first full day on Zenith. I'm liking this 'small ship' feel (at least to me -- being a mega ship type of gal). I love the motion of the ship. My sister, on the other hand, keeps mentioning the "ship is moving" lolol.

Today we had a bit of rain....and it was overcast most of the trip. We're looking forward to sunny skies in Bermuda (keeping my fingers crossed).

I absolutely have to mention our dining experience this evening. SO lazy were the both of us we just didn't want to do formal night. So, we made a reservation for the "alternative casual dining" in the Windsurf Cafe.

We had a choice of two appetizers -- fruit salad and smoked salmon, Cesaer or iceberg lettuce, Crean of Carolina soup and four entrees: Roast Chicken, Salmon, Sirlion Steak and Lasagna. We had steak and chicken. The menu was definitely limited.

The reason I mention "limited" to you is becaue, even though the choices were few....I believe my dining experience in this alternative setting to probablly be the absolute best cruise ship dinner I have ever had that wasn't in a fancy "extra service charge" type venue. Hands down. The food was simply delicious and the service was perfect. All for an additional service charge of $2. My hubby would have been SO SATISFIED with that sirlion steak!

I really have to recommend to Zenith cruisers -- give it a try!

Oh,, and wanted to mention that "Brenda" immediately took care of the bit of a stinky problem in the bath -- it always pays to address issues immediately.

Our Cruise Critic connections party was very successful! My sister, niece and I were the last three registered one week ago, causing the number to finally hit 25! We were gonna party! Held in the Fleet Bar at 9:30 am, the CD Don, hotel director Dan and a host of others were there. I think the turn out was about 18 -- not bad. Everyone who did attend are now the proud owners of Cruise Critic Lanyards and Magnets. Oh, I did buy the photo and will post when I return.

Finallly -- sorry Doug that room is SMALL. It may be 172 feet but a good majority is taken up in that spacious bathroom and two huge closets! Tradeoff for not having the shower stick to your "you know what".....

Can't wait for tomorrow -- gonna go check weather.com to see if the beach beckons or not....

Talk to you all tomorrow,

Laura

PS: Hi Al & Dan - miss you both!

Mom

Laura,

Hi.. We're going on the Zenith in December for 11 nights.. It's our first trip on Zenith and as concierge class passengers. Our room is an ocean view cabin. We're anxious to hear about the little extras, the appetizers, the fruit in the morning, etc., etc., etc.,

Have a great time, and look forward to hearing from you..

Ken (& David)

Ahhh, Laura ~ you do have a way with words!!!! ;)

How interesting that your dinner in the Windsurf was so good. That's terrific!

By the way, only 75 days till FOS! Now THAT will be some switch, won't it!

Hi Laura !

I am glad everything is going well so far. I hope the weather improves once you get to Bermuda. It am happy to hear that Don Fluke is on Zenith now. He is a GREAT Cruise Director. He is usually on Constellation of late. He does a number from the Broadway show, Cabaret that is a real show stopper. Perhaps he will do it at one of the shows.

If you bump into Don, can you ask him if he will be on Constellation in late November ? It would be great to Cruise with him again.

Enjoy your Cruise !

I've really enjoyed my first full day on Zenith. I'm liking this 'small ship' feel (at least to me -- being a mega ship type of gal).

"Small-ship feel"? Ships bigger than this don't feel like any kind of ship, big, small or otherwise ;) !

I believe my dining experience in this alternative setting to probablly be the absolute best cruise ship dinner I have ever had that wasn't in a fancy "extra service charge" type venue.

Now you're making me wish I hadn't eaten in the dining room every night! (Not that it wasn't excellent - it was.)

Held in the Fleet Bar at 9:30 am, the CD Don, hotel director Dan and a host of others were there. I think the turn out was about 18 -- not bad.

Glad to hear that Daniel is still aboard. I knew if he was, you would be well taken care of!

He is a great hotel director and a real asset to Celebrity.

Finallly -- sorry Doug that room is SMALL. It may be 172 feet but a good majority is taken up in that spacious bathroom and two huge closets!

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Are you in a CC cabin? That might feel a bit cramped since they shoehorned in a sofa. On the other hand, the non-CC cabins have loads of empty space (well, there's a little chair and cocktail table there) where the sofa is in the CC cabins.

Anyhow, the bathrooms and closets count as cabin space in my book. The two things that bother me most about small cabins are that the bathrooms are too small and there's not enough storage space, not that there isn't enough space to stroll around in ;) ...

I guess it really comes down to what you do in your cabin. ZENITH's cabins are designed under the traditional assumption that the most important functions of a cabin are sleeping, storing your things and using the, er, "facilities", a philosophy to which I wholeheartedly subscribe. The designers of many new ships' cabins skimp on bathrom and storage space while installing needless sitting areas and far too much furniture in cabins that are way too small to accomodate them. I'll take one of ZENITH's cabins any day.

Hello Laura:

Thanks for your comments. I love real time reviews!

We will be doing this cruise next year to celebrate our 2 kids' grad school graduations. When my wife and I were last on a cruise to Bermuda ( Holland America 1979) there was virtually nothing to do on board when the ship was in port...no shows, no lounge entertainment, even the ships's pools were closed. I'd be interesting in hearing what is available while you are in port.

Also, we will be in the Concierge class cabin as well - cabin 1095 aft on deck 10. I understand there is a nice sitting area at the aft on deck 10 but am wondering is there is any overhang to give you shade.

Joe

There is an overhang that is about the length of a lounge chair and the width of the ship. I am whispering because we don't want EVERYONE to know about the aft deck.

It is really a nice place because there are no children there (nothing for them to do) and it is close to your cabin.

Laura,

We are sailing 9/30/06 in an outside cabin on deck 5 by the aft staircase. Should you run into people who have a cabin in this area or if anyone reading this knows about the noise factor I would really love to hear about it. I am getting a little nervous about the location and I think I could still move us up to deck 9 aft in cat 4. The cat. CC is quite a bit more.

I am checking often to see if you post anything more about the cruise as I'm counting the days until we leave.

Somehow I bet being on a diet until sailing does not help the time go faster and dreaming about the great food on the ship is not the same as going out to dinner and ordering what I really want. I haven't sailed on Celebrity since 1991 and in over 65 cruises it was still the best food I have ever had. ( No I don't weigh 400 pounds it just sounds that way)

Thanks, Vicki

Archived