I know alcohol is a no no, but can you bring other beverages and snacks on board?

We are driving to Baltimore, so no checking luggage. Which means we don't have to conserve space. I thought if it was allowed, it would be nice to bring drinks and snacks on board to keep in our room. Is it allowed???

Jenny

I would pack whatever you want to bring in the luggage that you give to the porter. Lock it. They will x-ray for weapons, but snacks, drinks, and the like shouldn't pose a problem. I wouldn't put it in my carry-on, especially if a bottle of booze sneaks into your stash! They don't open your checked bags to search.

I would pack whatever you want to bring in the luggage that you give to the porter. Lock it. They will x-ray for weapons, but snacks, drinks, and the like shouldn't pose a problem. I wouldn't put it in my carry-on, especially if a bottle of booze sneaks into your stash! They don't open your checked bags to search.

Well acording to the site that on 7/28 they started searching all bags. Checked and carry-on. There site also says they are searching soda bottles, and mouthwash and so on. This is getting a lilttle ridicuolous. Whats your opinion?

i wonder about the searches.Most ports are run by the port authority not the cruiseline and most port authority people looks for weapons and bombs.I know i always bring a pepsi cube with us and carry it right on the ship.

This is getting a lilttle ridicuolous. Whats your opinion?

My opinion is that it always WAS rediculous. Just the concept of telling us what consumables we can and cannot bring into our rented room is absurd, and always has been. Once again, I remind folks of the hotel analogy. The sole reason they have these rules on some (not all) cruise lines is to increase their profits by insisting that we purchase all beverages from them at their inflated prices.

You could bring snacks on board - but there is food available virtually all of the time, so there is no need. We always call Room Service and get a cheese and fruit tray in the afternoon, or wraps, or whatever. Depending on the ship, there will be pizza, sweet rolls, cookies, frozen yogurt available all of the time.

We smuggled on the small soda 6 packs on our MOS cruise. We asked the room attendant to empty the fridge so that we would not get charged anything and we wanted the room. We did not tell him that we had soda but I figure he must have saw it since we found the fridge emptied and our soda in it. Obviously we did not buy the soda card.

We are driving to Baltimore, so no checking luggage. Which means we don't have to conserve space. I thought if it was allowed, it would be nice to bring drinks and snacks on board to keep in our room. Is it allowed???

Jenny

Since nobody has answered the original question completely and correctly, the snacks are allowed, the drinks are not. I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, or whether you would or wouldn't get away with it...I'm just stating the rules.

Since nobody has answered the original question completely and correctly, the snacks are allowed, the drinks are not. I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, or whether you would or wouldn't get away with it...I'm just stating the rules.

Where have they stated that non-alcoholic drinks are not allowed? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Yes. Can you imagine a hotel telling you that you can't bring sodas and snacks into your hotel room?

As for alcohol being a no-no -- that depends on who you talk to. ;)

LeeAnne, where the heck have you BEEN, girl????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Hi, In April this year RCI posted on their website a no beverage policy. It stated that you could not bring on any beverages - not alcohol, wine, soda, or bottled water, nothing. And they quoted that to many people on the phone. The policy was on the FAQ page. About 1 month later the question changed to can we bring alcohol on board? And the answer was no. It did not mention wine specifically. Many of us have tried to clarify the position on wine. Some get told no wine, I got told two bottles of special wine was fine.

OK end of history lesson (someone did ask). I suggest we collect current enforcement info but now of course we have many threads trying to get this info. I am trying to keep on current for wine policies.

I agree that this is all about revenue.

We did the Grandeur a few weeks ago, and did bring some small snacks to go into beach bags to go on excursions with us (prepackaged crackers and cookies....no problems!) As far as drinks, we did bring a 6 pack of Dasani water bottles in our checked luggage to also bring on excursions with us, and only used 3 of the 6 (there was 3 of us!) We just kept refilling the ones we had, and never opened the other 3. The water on the Grandeur tastes as good as bottled! There are no refridgerators on the Grandeur...only coolers, so this might make you rethink something like sodas. In that case, you would have to poor it over ice in a glass. The coolers didn't get our water bottles even cold enough to sweat!

There's no way they'll flag every shampoo, or mouthwash bottle coming through, but I can see them holding someone's suitcase for a suspicious looking bottle found on x-ray (and I don't think they'll look through all of them, but more of a random check.) If I really had a preferance on wine, I would probably try to get my couple of bottles through....knowing I may be having them hold my wine for the duration of the cruise, and getting a warning for my efforts:( ! (But I don't, and love my iced tea with dinner, and frozen froo froo drink at the show, or a Chocolate Martini as a late night drink....nothing worth smuggling, and I'll keep all the liquids at home next time!)

It doesn't hurt to try!

Take Care,

Jaime

I'm looking at my cruise docs for the Navigator cruise I'm taking in 19 days. It has a page titled "Beverage Policy". This page is entirely about alcoholic beverages ("Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board.") I does not state anywhere on the page that non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought onboard. In fact, non-alcoholic beverages are not mentioned at all, which by pure logic means that there is no prohibition against non-alcoholic beverages, given that the page is titled "Beverage Policy", not "Alcoholic Beverage Policy". One must assume that these are the current policies, considering they are in the most current cruise documentation.

I personally DO believe that whether it's right or wrong is an important part of the answer. I myself have no problem not adhering to what I consider unethical policies. And I do strongly believe that the no-booze policy is unethical. It's unethical to tell us what we can and can't consume in the privacy of our own bedroom, for which we've paid to live in for the duration of the cruise. JMO!

CAROL!!! How ya doin? I haven't had cruising on the brain lately, so I haven't been around much. My freelance writing work keeps me on the computer so much that lately I tend to stay away from the keyboard unless it's work-related. But I got a cruise coming up in 19 days, and another one in three months, so cruising is back on my radar. I'll be around! :D

Jenny

Just got off the Explorer yesterday. We brought on 2- 2 liter bottles of soda in a carry on and went right through.

Had a whole suitcase that was checked luggage (and locked) as we lock all luggage regardless of contents.. all wrapped in towels for breakables, had alcohol, sodas, water, box juices and gatorade .. always makes it to the stateroom with no problem what so ever.. I saw many at the pier handing over 12 packs of saoda, the porters tagged them and away they went, same for cases of bottled water...tagged and away they went... We have never experienced a problem bringing beverages on board... Room steward brought extra ice several times a day for our cooler :)

We were just on the Rhapsody from 7/23-7/30 We brought our own water on board in our suitcase and we brought on the go packs to make the water taste better. We asked the room attendant to remove the soda and water that they placed in the fridge but this was never done. so we just had to remember what was ours. We took bottled water from our room a couple of times to the bar and they dont know because you could have got it in another bar and brought it over. Bottled water was like $2 in the bars.

Yvonne

From the faq section of royal's website:

Can I bring my own liquor, beer or wine onboard?

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policys. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them

like it was mentioned in a previous post there's no mention of a non- alcoholic beverage ban.....and I know there will be people bringing alcohol with them on the ship via their carry on or checked luggage....I would say that the majority of people won't bring alcohol on with them. So I believe royal won't be crying about a few hundred (if that many) decide to bring their booze with them.

I do not even bother to try and hide my Pepsi when I board. I buy a new 12 pack at port, leave it in the box fully intact, DO NOT OPEN THE PACKAGING! I then bungee cord it to the top of my carry on and simply roll it onboard. At the security check they make sure it is new and unopened and let me thru with a smile. I have never had a problem with soda of any kind.

This is the email response I got from C&A on June 5th, when I asked what beverages could be brought on board. Now, lets remember though, I could have asked the question to 5 different C&A reps and gotten 5 different responses :) Today, I can not find this info on their website. I can only find it saying NO ALCOHOL. So, who knows...

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delay.

We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This

includes: liquor, wine, champagne, beer, soda, bottled water, or self

produced products (example: home made wines).

Alcoholic items packed in guest luggage or taken onboard via the

gangway will be confiscated.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Doris Wilhelm

Customer Service Representative

I have seen passengers bring packs of soda and water on every cruise, and they were not stopped. On my only RC cruise the passenger behind me had a bottle of liquor he was hand carrying- I wanted to see what happened to him but we were seperated after the check-in process and I don't know if he had to hand it over or not.

I feel passengers should be allowed to bring a certain amount of soda/water on with them- I know Carnival's policy states something to that affect.

I have seen passengers bring packs of soda and water on every cruise, and they were not stopped. On my only RC cruise the passenger behind me had a bottle of liquor he was hand carrying- I wanted to see what happened to him but we were seperated after the check-in process and I don't know if he had to hand it over or not.

I feel passengers should be allowed to bring a certain amount of soda/water on with them- I know Carnival's policy states something to that affect.

Carnival allows water and soda. They also allow wine to be brought aboard. We bought wine in Europe ports and walked right on the ship carrying it. No problem.

The very same Doris Wilhelm emailed me and told me that one can bring 2 bottles of wine that RCI doesn't carry onboard the ship & pay a corkage fee. As for the other beverages, the only place I've ever seen the no soda or water rule was in the canned emails that are posted here from time to time. So I really wouldn't worry about water or soda being confiscated.

Lee, plenty of hotels used to prohibit you from bringing your own liquor into your room, and would charge you a fee of $25 or so if they caught you (which meant tossing the empties into the trash can in the hallway). The policy was in the guest information booklet. Whether they still do or just have the policy and don't enforce it, I don't know. I guess I'll have to start looking - NOT!

And I think calling RCI's policy unethical is just rationalizing your own behavior. If you don't LIKE it, that's one thing, but accusing them of being unethical because they're trying to make money on drinks is a stretch, IMHO. It's their ship, and they can make their rules. I'm not holier than thou - I have my ways of smuggling a little Grey Goose on board, but I admit that I'm a rule-flouting anarchist.:D

We always take 1-2 cubes (24 cans) of Pepsi products onboard with us - no matter what cruise line. They are never concealed - we just carry them on and no one has ever said anything to us about it.

I'm sure they are more concerned about the alcohol than they are sodas. Don't waste space in your suitcases or carry-ons for soda - just take it right on board and no one will say anything to you.

Archived