Best Price on Celebrity???

Jaycue52

My wife and I went on our first Celebrity cruise back in April, and we our now hooked on Celebrity. They offer the best of both worlds for us---great food (for me) and great service (for my wife). Also the average age onboard Celebrity is best for us (somewhere in between newly-wed (Carnival) and nearly-dead (Holland America)). (OK, no responses from those chastizing me for that remark, please).

So, here is the question. I am asking for some advice on where to get the best rates on a balcony cabin (Concierge Class) on any Celebrity ship. The Celebrity web page is quoting a rate of $2200 for a 10-day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I subscribe to several of the discount cruise companies' web pages. We have booked a couple of our cruises through Cruises-N-More, but we booked our last cruise through Carnival itself, and I think we did pretty good with them.

So, Celebrity aficianados, what is your secret for getting the best price on a Celebrity cruise? By the way, my wife is a former travel agent, so we don't need any travel agent recommendations. Thanks all!

Also the average age onboard Celebrity is best for us (somewhere in between newly-wed (Carnival) and nearly-dead (Holland America)).

now, that's funny !!! what a wit !!!! maybe I have a low entertainment threshold as I have been recovering from back strain for 2 weeks - but I haven't laughed that hard in 2 weeks - my back hurts ! but it was worth it !!!! thank you !

Also the average age onboard Celebrity is best for us (somewhere in between newly-wed (Carnival) and nearly-dead (Holland America)).

I don't think this is very funny. The age of Celebrity passengers is only one step removed from HAL. All the other cruise lines have a younger demographic than HAL and X. I don't have to be reminded I'm that close to the end of my cruising career.:rolleyes: I'm equally upset that the "Save the waves policy" prevents me from being slipped over the side when I take my final voyage. Without the anti-dumping policies I figure my wife or children could cruise a few more times for the savings on funeral expenses.:eek:

You should find the lowest rates on the least desirable cruising itineraries or cruising season. The prices on the Celebrity board should be as low as any TA. Check discounted Dec or early Jan sailings or transatlantics for the best pricing.

And I hope we can win tomorrow night but after all

these years I won't hold my breath:eek: :rolleyes:

As to your best price question....I believe as of early last year,

the prices on the X Website are what any and all TA's are

allowed to offer.

In other words, no discounting of prices, although

TA's (as you know) can offer on board credits and/or

other freebies (insurance or the like).

But the prices are what they are.......

allowed to offer.

Hi Lois, your not near there yet (actually I'm not there yet either) but did find an exception with senior pricing. X still shows full price but the promo's and TA's are showing senior pricing on a couple of cruises that I have looked at recently. This is not to say that if you followed through on the booking procedure, they wouldn't adjust it but what you initially view is at full rate.

BTW, Did you see Mercury cabin 8004 on your Alaska cruise? Claudia thought you might have and just wondered what you thought of it.

Hi Donna...Sr Pricing Discounts? I need 6 more years

before I am eligible:eek: I think...does that start at 55?

Cabin 8004? I think Steve and Sherri had that cabin~

they sailed with us on Mercury. Yes I was in it for

a little while..it is forward..very forward..who is

asking?

BIG CABIN...with a BIG WINDOW:)

Thanks for the quick answer! We are looking at it for a PC cruise. Already booked on Princess but seriously thinking about switching. We have 9000 on Connie for next year's westbound TA so good chance to try out the front of the ship ahead of time!

Now that I have finished hijacking (sorry about that) to our original poster, just keep watching. We use quite a few sites to check pricing and the X website to actually pick our cabin since you can type in any cabin number and find out if it is available rather than just those listed. Watch for Happy Hour specials also. Just before the holidays tends to be lower priced if you can manage it and TA's tend to be reasonable if you like sea days (we love them). Additionally, continue to watch your pricing after you are booked.

Okay, so if you are not ready for senior prices :) , how about residency discounts? Last year, an online travel agency gave us a better price than Celebrity directly as the result of a residency discount. Called back to verify with the Celebrity agent I had spoken to when getting the pricing and asked about the residency discount and said she was unable to offer it...:confused:

Okay, so if you are not ready for senior prices :) , how about residency discounts? Last year, an online travel agency gave us a better price than Celebrity directly as the result of a residency discount. Called back to verify with the Celebrity agent I had spoken to when getting the pricing and asked about the residency discount and said she was unable to offer it...:confused:

Lisa, I didn't check for that but can actually see that happening too. Again, it supports getting pricing from several different locations. The Agency listed in the original post has a computer glitch and does not show senior pricing either though I do get it when I call. I haven't run into any residency discounts to check that part lately. We did get a cruise credit after payment last year due to a residency rate reduction so those can even come into play at a later date. This info can be checked at most online agencies and should show a separate price line for residency and a separate line for senior.

Get your right arm warmed up for the Seminole chop, Lois.

Thanks to all for your insight. Looks like I just need to keep checking the e-mails I subscribe to in order to get the best price on a Celebrity cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of times, TAs will book group rooms which they get at a discounted price as soon the cruise lines open the sailing dates. They then offer them to the general public which may seem like a discounted price to us. It's good and bad. If discounted prices are made by the cruise lines, you can't get it because the room has already been discounted and you are usually limited to the rooms that the agency has picked. It's good because the agencies usually pick many of the good rooms and also if the cruise line doesn't offer a special, you have a better price.

So, here is the question. I am asking for some advice on where to get the best rates on a balcony cabin (Concierge Class) on any Celebrity ship.

Finally, a question I can answer due to experience & success!!!!

Make sure you check Celebrity's website DAILY. Just pretend you want to book the same cruise you are on. I save this to my favorites, so it defaults to this page. I then pretend I want to book the cruise, and it will tell me the current prices of all the cabins. I booked a cruise to South America over Christmas, and I saw a $200 pp drop in the price about a week after I booked. I called my Travel Agent and had her reduce the price.

About 2 months after that, I saw ANOTHER sale, for $500 pp off my cruise......I called the travel agent and had her reduce our cruise.

THEN, I saw a Senior Citizen discount of another $50 and my friend was over 55, so he qualified for this as well as his wife who is only 48.

All in all, we saved about $800 pp on this cruise just because I watched the Celebrity website daily. Sometimes they only offer discounts for 24 hours, so you have to be diligent.

Good luck!!!

When the cabin category is sold out 14 months before sailing, Cruizin4us, do you ever find that some cabins come free at a lower price later on?

Well, I've been watching daily since March 2006, and I've seen catagories sell out, then not be sold out. I would STILL check daily to see if the price changes, especially the closer you get to the cruise.

I'm getting really close to the final payment deadline (90 days before sailing) which should be in the next day or so......we leave on Dec. 17th.

It will be interesting to see if they drop the prices again in order to sell out the cruise.....(I'm hoping this happens...fingers & toes crossed)

Good luck!

Thank you Cruizin4us for your prompt reply. I will continue to check. Our cruise is one of the down under ones which seem to be immensely popular and were very well priced to begin with, so I won't hold my breath! Here's hoping (fingers crossed) that you see another drop in dollars as well as one in pounds!!! It's too early for me to start that one yet.......would have them all gained back by sailing time!

Will X honor a price reduction after final payment? I have a cruise booked directly with X have not transferred it to a TA.

Don't know the answer to this question for sure, but I've been told that Celebrity will give you an "on board credit".......Does anyone else know if this is true?

allowed to offer.

Lois you are correct, prices will not vary anywhere you check, call it frozen, fixed, or whatever. As a TA we are not even allowed to state: OBC, etc, what we do is our business, but it is between the cliant and the TA. NMnita

All agents can offer residency discounts, senior and other specials. Some will look closely for you, other times you have to ask, but believe me we do all have access to the same things. The exception is something like: Interline rates, these are contracted for. Every agent has access to military as well and every cruise line offers different military rates, there are union rates, etc. but basicaly we do all have the same. BTW, someone mentioned group rates: group rates are normally not discounted; they offer special perks like cocktail parties, etc but they are not necessarily discounted. NMnita

Here is something I found out by chance and from what I can see only works for CC class and above.

On the bottom left of the homepage of the celebrity website it should say 'not from the US', change this to France or Germany etc (Not the UK or Ireland), then search for your cruise and compare prices. The prices will be in Euros so remember to add 20% before you compare.

I just cancelled our booking in the US, paid a $50 cancellation fee and got a RS in france instead of a SS and still saved $100.

The only drawback is all the paper work comes in French, however you can use www.freetranslation.com to help you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived