Port Security....Deathly afraid of dogs.

Mzshll

Can anyone tell me about security dogs at the ports. I am traveling with someone who is deathly afraid of dogs and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they get near the passengers while you are boarding? I just want to be able to prepare her incase they do.

I saw the dog (1) on board one of our cruises when some idiot brought drugs back from Mexico and they were sniffing on the ship. They don't go to anyone unless they have illegal drugs on them so tell your friend not to worry as that was a very rare occurance and if for some reason you see a dog at the port, just direct your friend away from the dog.

Have had dogs sniffing our carry-ons in Long Beach and Port Canaveral. My wife loves dogs and I had to remind her not to pet them while they are working. In Rome this year, after we landed, a dog was following my wife and was sniffing her bag. Probably smelled our 2 Labs. If they detect a banned substance, they usually lie down. They don't pay any attention to the passengers so there is nothing to worry about.

In St. Maarten, there were two or three "working" dogs on the pier to board the ship. I only mention this because the pier is not especially wide, and I would say we were about 15 feet away from them when we boarded. Like the others above said, they were just smelling as you went by, you won't have anything to worry about if you have nothing for them to worry about. ;)

They were such beautiful dogs (we have shepherds too) that I took pictures of them. I will email them so you understand the distance if you would like me to.

Too bad your friend is so afraid of dogs. I love our dogs to death, I couldn't imagine my life without our "fuzzy four legged poop machines" as we lovelingly have nicknamed them. :D

Can anyone tell me about security dogs at the ports. I am traveling with someone who is deathly afraid of dogs and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they get near the passengers while you are boarding? I just want to be able to prepare her incase they do.

I have never seen a K-9 unit at any of the Terminals, I did see a Chocolate Lab K-9 at California Adventure Park next to Disneyland :D

Fred

I don't remember seeing any, but if they are there, they will be working and very much under their handler's control. What does your friend do when she has a chance encounter with a dog elsewhere, like out on a walk or something? Most people I know who are afraid are more afraid of getting jumped on than anything else and this will not happen with these working dogs.

Each cruise I've taken out of N.O., there has been a drug-sniffing dog at the immediate area of boarding - of course on a very short leash w/his handler - and right up next to me. I've had them sniff my carry-on, my purse, and around my shoes.....so yes, they can get upclose and personal!

Last year as we were getting ready to leave our cabin on the Miracle there were agents with a shepard checking cabins on the Veranda Deck. Since we had never seen one working before we invited them in to the cabin. Beautiful well behaved animal. Asked if it was ok to pet it. Very well mannered dog. Don't know about it when it finds what it is trained for but we diddn't have to worry about that.

There was a dog and about 4 people with it just walking thru the cabins.

This was right when we were getting ready to leave the ship back at Tampa.

Pat. SC

Bomb sniffing dogs and drug sniffing dogs are trained to react differently. One reaction is to sit next to what they find, another is to bark. I've also seen drug sniffing dogs try to get to the contraband they smell inside bags/suitcases. Bomb sniffing dogs are trained not to do that so as not to set off any explosives. These are not K-9 police dogs who on command will go after someone. These drug and bomb dogs are trained differently and do not go after people. Bomb dogs do not go after drugs and drug dogs do not go after explosives. Every dog is trained for a specific purpose. There are also dogs trained to sniff out fruits/vegetables being brought back into the country.

The only time we have been VERY close (on a ship, at any rate...!) to a dog was on our last cruise (Sensation 3-day 8/31/06). During debarkation, immediately after entering the terminal area, there was a dog sniffing everyone and their bags as they walked by - in single file at that point. I can only assume this was due to the nature of the cruise - a quickie 3 day that might give some an opportunity to smuggle drugs back.

This dog was friendly - but if one already has an irrational fear of dogs, that would not matter I suppose...

Tom

The only time I ever saw dogs (for security purposes) was in Key West at the Outer Mole/Navy Pier. The dogs were at the checkpoint when we returned to the pier after our day in Key West. We did not get up close and personal as an agent came over to our trolley and checked everyones Sign and Sail card and the dog remained over by the station.

When embarking I have only seen the dogs in the luggage areas checking luggage. When debarking I have seen them in the hallway you go down after clearing customs.

I can truely understand being deathly afraid of dogs. When I was younger I was walking a dog and another dog who was tied up broke his chain and came after me and the other dog. I was always told not to run when I saw a strange dog so I stood there and just firmly yelled get away. Well the dog jumped me and it took someone 3 times to get the dog off me he would just attack the people trying to help me. I ended up having 131 stiches and plastic surgery to correct what the dog did to my leg. 20 years later the scars are still very visable. I am lucky he did not attack me in the face or neck because the damage he did to my leg was horriable.

Anyways I have my own dogs and I am fine with them. But if I see a strange dog approach me I go from being a grown woman to a complete bumbling fool. I freeze up and cant move. I shake and cry and no matter how much I try to control it I can't. The only way I can physically move is if the dog is taken away from me. Once they are away it literally takes me 10 mins to stop the tears and shaking.

I will tell you none of the dogs I have seen in the ports have ever came close enough to set off that reaction so your friend should be just fine.

I just wanted to post and let everyone know that people arent always afraid of the dogs because of carrying something they shouldn't be but because sometimes there is uderlying reasons.

When embarking I have only seen the dogs in the luggage areas checking luggage. When debarking I have seen them in the hallway you go down after clearing customs.

I can truely understand being deathly afraid of dogs. When I was younger I was walking a dog and another dog who was tied up broke his chain and came after me and the other dog. I was always told not to run when I saw a strange dog so I stood there and just firmly yelled get away. Well the dog jumped me and it took someone 3 times to get the dog off me he would just attack the people trying to help me. I ended up having 131 stiches and plastic surgery to correct what the dog did to my leg. 20 years later the scars are still very visable. I am lucky he did not attack me in the face or neck because the damage he did to my leg was horriable.

Anyways I have my own dogs and I am fine with them. But if I see a strange dog approach me I go from being a grown woman to a complete bumbling fool. I freeze up and cant move. I shake and cry and no matter how much I try to control it I can't. The only way I can physically move is if the dog is taken away from me. Once they are away it literally takes me 10 mins to stop the tears and shaking.

I will tell you none of the dogs I have seen in the ports have ever came close enough to set off that reaction so your friend should be just fine.

I just wanted to post and let everyone know that people arent always afraid of the dogs because of carrying something they shouldn't be but because sometimes there is uderlying reasons.

Archived