OOSTERDAM..What do you like the best about it?

wizard-of-roz

We've booked the Oosterdam for April, 2007. What did you like about it? How does it compare to other ships? How's the beds? How's the food? How's the service?

Your opionion counts with me!

This cruise will be all about the ship, since the destination has been well traveled by us....we're looking forward to a break from the "grind"! And, leaving out of San Diego is also going to be a treat, since we're from L.A.

We got a good deal....and we've never been on HAL......so, here we go!

We're booked on Upper Promenade, early dining on the upper level. That's about as much as I know about this ship!

Do they have a "Cruise Personalizer", where you can sign-up via the internet?

Thanks,

Roz

We've booked the Oosterdam for April, 2007. What did you like about it? How does it compare to other ships? How's the beds? How's the food? How's the service?

Your opionion counts with me!

This cruise will be all about the ship, since the destination has been well traveled by us....we're looking forward to a break from the "grind"! And, leaving out of San Diego is also going to be a treat, since we're from L.A.

We got a good deal....and we've never been on HAL......so, here we go!

We're booked on Upper Promenade, early dining on the upper level. That's about as much as I know about this ship!

Do they have a "Cruise Personalizer", where you can sign-up via the internet?

Thanks,

Roz

Hi Roz,

We were on the Oosterdam in 1/2006 and loved it. It's the largest HAL ship we've been on and although larger, it didn't feel crowded and the service was up to HAL standards.

We ate in the Pinnacle twice and the remainder in the dining room. The food was very good in all cases. Our two favorite places are the Crows Nest for cocktails before dinner and the Explorers Lounge for the string quartet after dinner (and other performances). The library is very nice as well.

We were in 8033 on Navigation deck and loved the location. We had a very nice trip even though I had rather bad cold most of the time and had to visit the doctor on the last day. We stayed at the Holiday Inn across from the pier - the location couldn't be beat!

If you have any specific questions, just let me know!

Have a great trip.

Doug

It's been a couple of years since we sailed on her - but would definitely sail on her again.

Loved the ship, colors, decor, food, etc.

There is only one thing I dislike about the Vista class ships -- you can only get to the dining room from the bow of the ship if you are having a drink say in the Ocean Bar through the Photo area. We have been on 3 of the 4 Vista ships and there always seem to be a large crowd there will we were trying to get to the dining room.

Other than that - no complaints.

I haven't slept in every HAL bed, but the one's I've been in are great! All HAL ship/cabins have lovely new bedding and it makes for a wonderful night's sleep. I'm usually stiff and sore when I arise, but on HAL I can get right up.

Full room service breakfast is available to all cabins. You can leave the hang-tag on your door before going to bed, (or call in the morning). If there's something you want and it's not on the tag, just write it in. Mark the time you want delivery and it will be there.

Do be sure to mark everything you want: butter, salt/pepper, cream/sugar, etc.

I don't know what you mean by "registration on-line". :confused:

It's been about 18 months since we were on her and there were so many things we loved - the beds, the food, the service, the teak decks, the decor, breakfast on our veranda, but if I had to pick just one thing - well it would be not a thing but rather Mikey at the Ocean Bar! You should have a wonderful time.

The Oosterdam's GREAT!

I've been on her twice now and can't wait to sail her again. The ship itself is beautiful and well maintained, and has a sort of 'personality' to it - you feel instantly at home when you board, not just because of the ship's design, but also because of the amazing crew onboard. Some truly exceptional people work onboard that ship.

Food is subjective, but I have always been happy with it. HAL does offer a room service breakfast menu - though my girlfriend and I were disappointed with it when we ordered it on the Veendam, as it arrived cold. I'd probably stick to the Lido in the future...

The beds, like all HAL ships, are extremely comfy! :)

Roz, We have been on the Oosterdam 3 times, most recently February of this year. Each time we have been on the Oosterdam it just continues to get better.:) Truly one of the best crew and there is just a special feel about the Oosterdam. Below is a link to my webshots pictures of which all three of our Oosterdam cruises are listed with pictures. I also agree that the beds are the best, so good that we bought one of the mattresses:D

Thanks so much for the information:

How are the beds?

Do they have registration, on line?

Do they have a full breakfast in room service?

Thanks,

Roz

The beds were great - I also wake up sore most mornings and didn't find that at all on HAL beds. I was going to say 'stiff' instead of 'sore' but after the thread dealing with 'vd staterooms', I decided not to! :eek:

You can fill out your immigration form online but MAKE SURE TO PRINT IT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU! (On the HAL webiste, choose 'For Booked Guests' then Immigration Form). If you don't, you'll have to fill out one once at the port - they filter out those without proper forms and make you fill it out before you get to the checkin counter. I can't for the life of me figure out why they can't have that information at hand if you fill it in online but they don't. Supposedly the 'government' requires it in advance so if they have it, why do you have to present it?

Another thing I remember that we really liked were the shore excursion terminals mounted in the wall by some of the mid-ship elevator lobbies. You put your boarding card in, choose which tours you want and they print out right there, charged to your room. VERY convenient. A drink in hand, and the convenience got me to 'zip' through the trees (never again!)

Enjoy,

Doug

Wizard of Roz,

It sounds as if you have cruised Princess because you are mentioning the personalizer. On HAL's website, it is a little different. You can do your immigration form (as another poster mentioned) and also, book your shore excursions. In my experience, HAL's website isn't quite as in depth as Princess's for these things...but it will do. Princess offers the Circle Center, and a bit more preference selection than HAL...at first glance. The end result is about the same though...You can still view, book, and cancel shore ex online. One thing to be aware of though, that differs from Princess is that your shore ex are charged to your card the moment you book them, not once you are on board. You have up until 10 days prior to cruising to book and/or cancel your shore excursions online. We have done ours this way on both of our HAL cruises and have been happy for the most part. I recommend you have a second choice of Shore Ex in case yours doesn't book fully and is cancelled. This has happened to us, though only once. It has also happened on Princess.

I hope this helps you, and that you Love HAL. I love both lines and find them to be very special for different reasons.

We have sailed with James Deering, the Hotel Manager, a number of times, and I can assure you if the rest of the staff/crew are as personable, efficient and attentive as he is, you will have an outstanding cruise!

As for the ship, I have not sailed the Oosterdam, but I love the layout of the Vista ships.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Doug - which zip line tour did you take and what about it makes you not want to do it again?

Frank

Hi Frank,

We did the one offered by the ship in Puerto Vallarta. The excursion was fine and well run, I just don't like heights that much. You end up on these little open weave platforms at each tree with your safety line attached - the platforms were rather small and although secure, they were too small for me - especially when they're 100 feet up a tree! In addition, my back was acting up and I was very sore by the time we got back to the ship. Once I made up my mind that if I was meant to die during the excursion, then so be it - so go along with it till then!

Doug

Again, thank you for the great info. It helps so much when you know what to expect and can plan ahead.

I have learned to register information ahead through Celebrity and Princess. And, being the true Virgo that I am, I wanted all my little duckies in a row. I will go to the website and proceed!

Reading from your posts, the beds sound amazing and certainly can add to that "cruise experience"!

Your words of encouragement are well taken. I am truly looking forward to my time on the Oosterdam! :p

Roz

Lisa: Do you know what I've been doing for the last 1/2 hour. I've been looking at all your pictures from your last cruise. Talk about living vicariously!

You and Tom really know how to get the most out of your one week!

Thanks for sharing them.....I had so much fun and I can't wait til it's my turn!

We bring my service dog with us....so, it's really going to be interesting to see how HAL takes care of us!

Roz

Lisa: Do you know what I've been doing for the last 1/2 hour. I've been looking at all your pictures from your last cruise. Talk about living vicariously!

You and Tom really know how to get the most out of your one week!

Thanks for sharing them.....I had so much fun and I can't wait til it's my turn!

We bring my service dog with us....so, it's really going to be interesting to see how HAL takes care of us!

Roz

Thank You Roz,:) We do tend to have a very good time:D

Like the others have said Mr. Deering the Hotel Manager is definitely great and his staff loves him. I am a true believer that when the staff loves the Management it reflecks true happiness thru out the ship. That is part of the over all great feeling that you feel right away once you board the Oosterdam. Like I said each time we have been on the Oosterdam it just get's better and better. I am so looking forward to returning in March:)

The STAFF

The BEDS

The FOOD

The ROOM SERVICE

The ARTWORK

THE GLASS ELEVATORS

The THERMAL POOL

After 24 days on her, we would have stayed on if they'd have decided to reposition her right back the opposite way!:p

Coffee and fruit on our balcony each morning..........what gets better than THAT??

You will have a FANTASTIC time.;)

I absolutely LOVE the Oosterdam .. now just get her better itineraries .. LOL .. Every time I look to book a cruise I check the Oosterdam first ...and it seems like it is all Alaska .. Mexico etc. When we cruised on her it was the 3rd voyage and it was the Baltic .. absolute perfection..

Archived