Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

You can't make hotel bedding requests. That's part of Priceline's policy and the agreement they have with the hotel. No bedding setup guarantees. That's what the hotel will tell you if you call them. No special requests, nonsmoking, bedding, etc. I tried calling once because we wanted one king nonsmoking room and that's what I was told. It's their way of stopping cheaters.

You can't make hotel bedding requests. That's part of Priceline's policy and the agreement they have with the hotel. No bedding setup guarantees. That's what the hotel will tell you if you call them. No special requests, nonsmoking, bedding, etc. I tried calling once because we wanted one king nonsmoking room and that's what I was told. It's their way of stopping cheaters.

Stop Cheaters??? I have a family of 4 and I NEVER booked a room that charged me more for having 4 over 2 in a room.

I will stay away from priceline... seems that it is not for me.

Ordered a rental car thru Priceline did not have to bid as it was already a great price.

Rental car agency showed our confirmation in there system and we printed it off. Got to the airport to pick up the car and Budget (individual franchise)would not accept their own confirmation. Said it was an error and car would be 14.00 per day more.

Price line said this is between us and rental car company which shocked me because I really expected their support. Budget is shocked that the Franchise would not accept the confirmation but cannot force them to do it.

I cannot use Price line if they cannot support my confirmed bookings.

HELP!!!

Thru Hotwire got the 4* Pelican Grande Beach Resort Fort Lauderdale for 27-29 Oct. $109 and the 41/2* Diplomat Country Club Resort on 29-31 Oct. for $169. Had to change hotels as neither was available for all four nights. I don't mind since I'll be able to explore two different areas. This is the first time that I have used Hotwire and I'm quite satisfied. Tried to get something on priceline but was always refused.

Bid on Priceline today Sept 20/08

Bid $65. 4* Downtown Miami~ rejected

raised bid to $68. 3* Downtown Miami ~ rejected

bid $75. 2.5* Downtown Miami ~ accepted and they upgraded to 3* Hilton

Will be staying at Hilton Miami Downtown fo Nov 7/08 ~ 1 night only

before embarking on Liberty of the Seas

I do understand this... I read that, but has someone bid and then called the hotel for 2 double beds?

Yes, After I won my bid and received confirmation I called the Marriott and requested a room with 2 beds. Actually after we arrived they gave us a beautiful suite. But only had 1 bed. So they actually gave us another room for free. 2 rooms 80.00. Great deal.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't make hotel bedding requests..

Yes you can. You can always call the hotel and *request* two double beds, or a non-smoking room. In fact, I just did exactly that. It's in the best interest of the hotel to accomodate the requests. They want you to be happy.

But on the other hand, they won't guarantee your request. You may be limited to the inventory they have when you check in. But this is true even when you book directly with the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Priceline

2 nights (Jan 10 & 11, 2009), bid 3.5* at $130/night.

Won: Hudson Hotel, 58th St. near Columbus Circle, Central Park South area (I was also looking in Midtown West and Times Square areas) on first bid. Great location! Should have started lower, but happy with this.

Clearly not for one of our cruises, but may be helpful for someone looking for a pre or post cruise NYC hotel.

David

I'm coming, don't leave the room empty, :DI'm cruising Dec 10th out of Ft Lauderdale.

"if for some reason you change your mind or can't end up going, what can you do since they automatically charge your card when they accept your bid"

You lose your money. Thats why if your dates arent firm, and your room selection is paramount to your vacation enjoyment, Priceline and Hotwire arent the best services for everyone.

On our upcoming cruise in December, we won a room at the WESTIN DIPLOMAT in Hollywood Fl. on Hotwire. When we moved our cruise date up one week, we lost the room and it will be empty...and paid for on that night. It breaks my heart, but its just a choice you have to make.

• 2 weeks later...

I bid for a one day car rental and one night at the Holiday Inn Miami West after getting a rate quote from 800-HOLIDAY for $229.00/night!

On my first bid for a hotel in downtown Miami, I got a hotel for $45.00/night....guess which one? Holiday Inn Miami West!! lol I decided that I should rent a car so that I can sight see before we leave the next day and got an economy car with Alamo for 15.00 per day....first bid!!

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to get the the port once I drop the car off at MIA and how to get from the port to FLL once we disembark! lol Gotta go work on that........ :)

What is the major difference between Priceline & Hotwire? I am just learning and made my first bid today on Priceline for a hotel in Chicago at the end of January. My three bid attemots were rejected, but they were quite low and it is still early. I was advised to try again in a month. Kind of a pre-cruise trial!;)

What is the major difference between Priceline & Hotwire? I am just learning and made my first bid today on Priceline for a hotel in Chicago at the end of January. My three bid attemots were rejected, but they were quite low and it is still early. I was advised to try again in a month. Kind of a pre-cruise trial!;)

Sunny Az Girl,

I see they gave you the run down on Priceline vs Hotwire over on the Florida board.

As for Chicago, I would try Priceline once a week, or more. I picked up a four star hotel for Chicago (in June of 2009) for $135 a night. I might of done better if I waited a few months, but it's a fair rate, not a great rate.

By the way, the hotel is:

Hotel Burnham Chicago

Four Star

June 12th (2009) -- four nights

Downtown

Winning bid -- $135 + $23.97 taxes/fees

Good luck!

Kel:)

We are flying into New York City in May, spending the night and then taking the train to Boston. (Maasdam New England/Canada cruise)

Hotwire Find:

Site: Hotwire

Stars: **** (Four Star Hotel)

Area: Empire State Building Area

Dates: May 27th, one night (2009)

Hotel: Morgans, 237 Madison Avenue

Winning Bid: $189 + tax ($33.54)

Not bad for an early bid in New York City.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Made a same day purchase on Hotwire for November 10, 2008,

3* Miami, South Beach $79, got the Marseilles Hotel. Location was around 17th St.

Descriptions were: 3* Hotel, in South Beach- Oceanfront Collins. Boutique, Oceanfront, restaurant, pool, Business center, golf nearby, tennis nearby, Spa

Hotel was decent, we were happy with it, thought for a minute we would get the Richmond Hotel was was 2 doors away. There really wasn't a "spa", but maybe it's because it is the slow season. Wouldn't mind staying here again for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

After trying for a long time, I did get the Hyatt in FLL for $91 for 1/28/09 and 2/8/2009.

Site: Priceline

Stars: three *** (althought I think it is rated a 3 1/2 stars)

Area: Downtown FLL

Dates: Jan 28-- Feb 8 (two nights) 2009

Hotel: Hyatt North FLL

Winning Bid: $91 + tax $18.70 = $109.70

We have stayed there several times in the past "pre Hyatt" days and liked it. I did notice that the services no longer show a shuttle to the port. Does anyone who has recently stayed there know if they do or don't ?

Also the shuttle to the airport starts at 5am. Seems a little tight for a 6 AM flight out of FLL. Anyone know if they have or would start earlier ? If not we will Taxi.

Edited by Bloemerl

Hotwire Jan 7th 2* FLL airport purchased for $58 + 12.69 taxes=70.69 total

Rodeway Inn Suites Airport/Cruise.

All last week I was bidding on Priceline $70 for a 2* but never won. Today received Hotwire alert for this 2*. Retail had been ~ $150.

I am pleased!

Going on a weekend cruise next week and tried Priceline for the first time last night. After reading the suggestions on these boards, I decided to bid for something in the Coral Gables area as opposed to Downtown Miami. We stayed in Downtown Miami for our cruise this past April but it was 16 of us (friends and family) so could not do Priceline as we were doing 4 per room. We ended up staying at the Marriott Bisycane Bay at $148.00 a night (including taxes).

So, I bid $80.00 for a 4 * for 1 night on December 11/08 and my bid was accepted on the first bid. I ended up with the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. With taxes the total was $98.66. I actually needed a room for 4 people but I thought if I call the hotel after and was not able to do 4 people then I would just bid again. Well, I called the hotel right after my bid was accepted and the person I spoke told me that it was not a problem to have 4 people in the room (I got her name of course). I was even able to request a room with 2 double beds and again, was told not a problem and that the request was noted.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel before? Any thoughts / feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bevie

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Intercontinental for $142 + tax for 3/27/09 one night pre-cruise on easyclicktravel.com

I think it's a great deal because rooms run $400+ and many hotels that weekend are already booked up. Spring break I guess.

It is the 5 star "unnamed" hotel.