What about drastically lower fares for last minute bookings?

DFD1

I have heard it said that HAL has offered some drastically lower fares for passengers willing travel on a "moment's notice". Does anyone have information about such fares for passengers willing to sail on a one-week or less notice? Thanks, DFD

Westerdam

Maasdam

Noordam

Oosterdam

3 Regent Cruises

4 Carnival Cruises

2 Cunard Cruises

1 Eastern Steamship Line Cruise

...and the Volendam on 11/26/04

Actually I've seen prices go UP during the last month prior to sailing as there is little availability. Best shot is probably right after final payment is due. Today ships are sailing at 97-103% of capacity.

I have had the same observations as hdawson. I just booked the Veendam for Aug 22, so I am about 6 weeks out. I will keep watching the prices, but typically they DO climb as it nears...i know, doesn't make sense. I got a great deal on the Maasdam last month, booked March for a June 19th sailing.

These were both trips not planned, otherwise I prefer to book 6 months to a year out then watch for price drops.

Marie

If you go on the HAL site you can sign up for e-mails from them regarding upcoming cruises. There is one option in there as you fill out your profile where you may note if you are available to cruise on a last-minute notice ... I believe it's two weeks. If you check this, you will likely get notified if they have cabins left that they want to have someone in ... even at bargain-basement prices. If you don't care where you are on a ship, it can be a fantastic deal from what I understand.

There are hundreds of retired couples who sit by the phone with bags that stay packed awaiting a call directly from cruise lines. They live within a few hundred miles of the FL ports so they can be there without air travel. They get the cruise at near cost just to fill the berths. That's why more often than not you will see available cabins two weeks before and when you get there it is fully booked. However a ship is never fully booked. They keep a few emptys held back for emergencies like people who have problems with their cabin, special guest or family of employees that need rooms. On our Massdam last May the cabin across from us was empty until the US imigration guys boarded and slept overnight so they could do imigration after dinner vs doing it at 6 in the morning. We had a cabin problem on Mariner of Seas mid week and they moved us from inside to a minisuite where one of the entertainers had been staying who got off ship that day. When we boarded it was fully booked as we always ask for upgrades. Usually what is left is the inside lower rooms which is what the retired couple get but if suites are open they get those too. For a cruiser living in FL retired life could be worth living for.

They actually exist - I get emails from HAL all the time. I just received one about a week ago - the pricing for Suites was fantastic - these were for September & October sailings.

The time of year is critical for me - we usually only book when everyone else does, but our best pricing has been for the 4/3/04 Maasdam and the 8/22/03 Zuiderdam (a time of year I will never cruise the Caribbean again - WAY too humid & muggy) - both those times were considered "off-peak".

This place is amazing ! ! ! Thanks for the wonderful information. I book HAL directly with the company, but just had never thought about asking about these "space available" fares. You can bet that I'll ask the next time! Thanks again, DFD

Hi all, Sometimes it just doesn't make sence. I have booked for a 15 day on the statendam in December, and my TA said watch the prices they usually drop. Well, been watching daily and they have a little more than doubled in price. Anyone know why??:)

I would guess that it has something to do with traveling during the holiday period. Those cruises are very popular. If the early booking period is over, that would mean that pretty much the rack rate is charged. There are, of course, many other factors that can enter into the equation.

:)

Depending on which week it is December, the prices usually go up for Hawaii.

For months now we have kept track of our back-to-back cruises on the Volendam for 2005 - they have gone up $500 for each cruise per person.

On our Oosterdam cruise this past February, there were a lot of unsold cabins. You should have seen the people lined up at the document desk in the terminal - and they were all ages!

:)

Holiday cruises are traditionally way higher than at other times of year, with New Years being higher still than Christmas. We are booked on BtoBs in Dec. The first week (Dec.11th) the price is at 67% off, Christmas week was at 54% off when we booked. Surprisingly, the Christmas sailing has gone down another 5% giving us a cabin savings of about $700!..it pays to keep checking the HAL website.....jean

I have heard it said that HAL has offered some drastically lower fares for passengers willing travel on a "moment's notice". Does anyone have information about such fares for passengers willing to sail on a one-week or less notice? Thanks, DFD

I got a pretty good deal for extending my 8-28 Zuiderdam cruise to a B2B with 9-4. But I think even that sailing is tightly booked now because there were no more guarantees. I had to take an assigned inside stateroom on the second sailing.

When I was on the Rotterdam last March, they put a note under all of the cabin doors offering passengers the opportunity to take the same cruise again ... b2b ... for something like $299 plus port charges ($399 for an outside cabin). And ... that was a ten-day cruise! I was devastated that I had other commitments and had to return on schedule. But then I noticed that Rotterdam cruise didn't seem to be heavily booked. I think they were sailing well below capacity, and that was despite having several hundred people from a writer's conference onboard.

I guess those deals are there, but it's probably a matter of luck ... and destination, as well as time of year.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I signed up for HAL e-mail and said I am available for last minute bookings but I never received anything from them. I would have been very interested in a suite for September or October.
There haven't been many last minute specials lately. The latest I received was June 25th, but only applied to those of us in the "4 Corners" states. Looking back over the past couple of months or so, there haven't been any specials on S suites -- that I've received.

Most of the last minute specials (that are emailed out, anyway) are for inside/outside cabins. There are some "mini-suites", but primarily on the Vista class ships.

SFJ

A good source for near term sailing discounts are HAL's five day "Flash" sales. These are updated weekly and do offer good fares. Their period is usually from ~ one to six weeks out. You can view the listing on some cruise agencies web sites. I can't link you to one due to CC's prohibition against mentioning specific agencies. Just do some web surfing. You'll find them. Googling will probably help.

BTW - I was overwhelmed with e-mails from HAL specials ads until I booked a cruise. Haven't had even one e-mail since. The one I booked doesn't sail until Nov 2005!

There were some Family & Friends specials for Fall Caribbean & Mexico that came out July 1st. If you book triple or quad Verandah and higher - great pricing. Not bad pricing for doubles and singles either. Select fall sailings for Zuiderdam, Oosterdam & Ryndam.

Go to www.halpromos.com. On the left side will be 5 day flash or something like that. Click on. It changes every week.

Wow - that's a good web site! It apparently lists all of the promos. I just bookmarked it. Thanks.:D

This was first the first I've encountered a crm, so I googled it. Got the following definition:

Topic definition: The General CRM Information topic is reserved for general CRM issues that span different products, and for CRM employment information. Sub-topic definition: Customer Relationship Management (CRM) includes the methodologies, strategies, software, and web-based capabilities that help an enterprise organize and manage customer relationships. Companies utilize this approach to gain a better understanding of their customer's wants and needs.

• 2 years later...
Go to www.halpromos.com. On the left side will be 5 day flash or something like that. Click on. It changes every week.

There are also on-line sites that discount the Flash fares even further.

We just booked one a few days ago - got a great deal... and the timing worked out well so we "just went for it!" And this, from a proverbial 'planner.'

Archived