New DamShip Christening to be in Rotterdam!

bepsf

Hey, let's go for it - we're game! Brand new ship, spent some time in the home land, great company - life is good!:) plus by that time Rotterdam V will be in her new home in Rotjeknor also!

You're right, John.....of course. ;)

It'll be wonderful to have the opportunity to see Rotterdam V in Rotterdam.

Heather, it takes only six hours to cross the big pond! Have a couple of muscle relaxers and a couple of cocktails and you'll be feeling as happy as a clam when you land at Amsterdam-Schiphol;) Lots of stuff to see in Holland and friendly people!

LOL!!!!:D It's not the flight I have a problem with ... I'm fine with that. It's a nervousness about our times and leaving the country. I know I know ... I'm a Nervous Nellie ... I make no excuses:o .

I would LOVE to see Holland! My Godmother was Dutch and she was so special to me. I would just love the itinerary.

I have to say, though, that I think it will be cost prohibitive for us ... just a bit more $$$ than we can comfortably afford.

But I haven't given up the idea! I'll be watching and pricing along with everyone else:) .

B - You know I want to be there. John, now, that's another story. Summer is his busy time & like other posters, getting him across the pond is well, difficult as best. A couple of valium only go so far. But, I worked my magic & we're doing the reunion, now, aren't we? ;) That itinerary is awesome!

B - You know I want to be there. John, now, that's another story. Summer is his busy time & like other posters, getting him across the pond is well, difficult as best. A couple of valium only go so far. But, I worked my magic & we're doing the reunion, now, aren't we? ;) That itinerary is awesome!

Oh, I'm sure you'll find a way to get him to join us - after all you're a clever lady...

;)

BTW - I have yet to cross that particular pond too, so this should be a real adventure!

Indeed! The Netherlands is a fantastic country to visit. Such beauty. And strolling through one of the North Sea fishing villages you can just smell the rich maritime history. (No pun intended ... but you DO smell the herring!) And there's Amsterdam, The Hague, Zaanse Schans, Madurodam, Delft ... Ahhh. So many great memories of wonderful places!

BTW - I have yet to cross that particular pond too, so this should be a real adventure!

Wait a minute - With your dad's station in the Azores & your time in the AF, you never crossed the pond? Really? Well, summer 2008 is your chance.

I can just see it now. John on one side of me freaking out with every creak & groan of the plane, every thump of turbulence. Brian on the other, hopping up & down with excitement at his first trip over big water - are we there yet? are we there yet? :) :D

Indeed! The Netherlands is a fantastic country to visit. Such beauty. And strolling through one of the North Sea fishing villages you can just smell the rich maritime history. (No pun intended ... but you DO smell the herring!) And there's Amsterdam, The Hague, Zaanse Schans, Madurodam, Delft ... Ahhh. So many great memories of wonderful places!

100% correct but you've only touched the service: take the train for a day trip to Maastricht in the south, take a boat trip from Rotterdam and go see the open air windmills at Kinderdijk, have dinner at the top of the Euromast tower in Rotterdam, visit the former HAL headquarters and now a hotel in Rotterdam, take a walk on the boulevard by the sea in Scheveningen, check out the massive "Delta works" in the province of Zeeland, take in an open air market in Alkmaar and watch them "move the cheese's", see the Venice of the north in Giethoorn, walk around picturesque Edam, take a ferry-ride to the island of Texel, drive the Afsluitdijk that connects the provinces of Noord-Holland and Friesland and visit Friesland's number one city, Leeuwarden, vist the town made famous by the World War II para landings, Arnhem, and lots more! Plus everybody speaks English over there!

Jim......Rotterdam......You forgot to mention Rotterdam!!! :)

Well, since this thread is about a ship christening in Rotterdam and an inaugural sailing from Rotterdam, I didn't think it was necessary. :D

But, of course ... Rotterdam is a must-see.

And John, you've trumped me with your list. Some sites I'm familiar with. Others are new to me. So I guess I need to get back over there and catch up!

I will be ready to book the instant such becomes possible. IF we're going to do an official CC Group, I'll wait for that. Otherwise, it can be ad-hock, like the Noordam Inaugural was. But I'm going to be there. July 2008 is VERY do-able for me ... particularly if I'm moved in June of 2007, I'll have been in my new appointment a full year before this cruise. :) That's Superb.

I think I'll put out my feelers and see if they need a chaplain to help :)

hehehe I'll pay to go AND do some work, if they'll let me. :D

I will be ready to book the instant such becomes possible. IF we're going to do an official CC Group, I'll wait for that. Otherwise, it can be ad-hock, like the Noordam Inaugural was. But I'm going to be there. July 2008 is VERY do-able for me ... particularly if I'm moved in June of 2007, I'll have been in my new appointment a full year before this cruise. :) That's Superb.

I think I'll put out my feelers and see if they need a chaplain to help :)

hehehe I'll pay to go AND do some work, if they'll let me. :D

Are you staying in Texas?

I see some of you have made NL promotions already, you donot need me for that....(Thanks to John and Jim).

But you forgot my favorite: the small Hans Brinkers statue in the lovely village of Spaarndam. I still hope the new ship will have that name.

Hopefully the dedication will be in Rotterdam again, we have so good memories of Oosterdam's dedication on a lovely sunny day in July 2003.

Yes we also might be interested to join you on this future trip.

100-0089_IMG.JPG.bd9cebeb81e4bff0a34043c95332bcb5.JPG

101-0103_IMG.JPG.0efbfdc5d510078936b8a37e51561637.JPG

344091360_vlagenwater.JPG.db52d06802c94155d614f66caea8c9d0.JPG

Are you staying in Texas?

When I move it will not be outside the Dallas Episcopal Area; they don't often move clergy beyond their area of ordained "residence." Hence, I could be moved to any other church in the Dallas area, as far north to the Oklahoma boarder as Dennison Texas, as far west as Wichita Falls Texas, and as far east as Paris or Sulphur Springs Texas. There are 380 churches in this geographical area, of which I could pastor about 125 of them (the others are smaller than I currently pastor and, hence, not candidates for me to move to).

I won't know WHERE, precisely (as in which church) until sometime in March (hopefully) 2007. They don't make such determinations until we get much closer in-time to the move-date (which is June 15).

When I move it will not be outside the Dallas Episcopal Area; they don't often move clergy beyond their area of ordained "residence." Hence, I could be moved to any other church in the Dallas area, as far north to the Oklahoma boarder as Dennison Texas, as far west as Wichita Falls Texas, and as far east as Paris or Sulphur Springs Texas. There are 380 churches in this geographical area, of which I could pastor about 125 of them (the others are smaller than I currently pastor and, hence, not candidates for me to move to).

I won't know WHERE, precisely (as in which church) until sometime in March (hopefully) 2007. They don't make such determinations until we get much closer in-time to the move-date (which is June 15).

Thanks, was just curious, I like that area. I have a field office in Plano, and another in Austin. I'll probably need to make another tour of the country next year and stop in to see my Texas crew. Sounds like the Dallas Episcopal Area takes in a lot of real estate. I'm used to living in smaller states, like Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, all of which could probably comfortably fit in Texas with room to spare :)

Thanks again for the pictures, Ine!

From the looks of the schedule, the event won't be as extravagant as that one - no other HAL ships are scheduled to be in Rotterdam for the christening on the 13th.

Yes, this will be my first time to Europe.* M&D were transferred to the Azores when I was 18 but I never went, and although I later joined the USAF I only went overseas to Tokyo for a couple years.

Thanks, was just curious, I like that area. I have a field office in Plano, and another in Austin. I'll probably need to make another tour of the country next year and stop in to see my Texas crew. Sounds like the Dallas Episcopal Area takes in a lot of real estate. I'm used to living in smaller states, like Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, all of which could probably comfortably fit in Texas with room to spare :)

Geographically speaking, the Dallas Episcopal Area is among the smallest in the USA, and it is the smallest in Texas. Here's a Map:

texasumcs.jpg

The Dallas Area is shaded orange and is labeled with a big 3. I'm currently serving as pastor of a church in the lower south-east corner of Dallas County. Hence, in terms of geographical distances, anywhere I will be moved to will not be a super distance from where I am now ... I've been in Wichita Falls before, and that's as far out as one can be and still be in the Area. I don't think they'll send me to one of the churches in Paris. SO ... that means I'll be either in Dallas or somewhere between Dallas and the OK boarder in the Dallas-McKinney-Sherman-Dennison Corridor. There are a LOT of churches in this zone that they could put me in, and I would be happy with that.

Archived