Infinity - Pod Problems

Procajlo

After cruising with Disney and Princess we are giving Celebrity a try next March, hence my joining this board. I scanned the last few pages re reviews for this vessel but could not find much. However, more importantly I had heard about the propulsion problems and quite frankly asked the Celebrity Rep. about it. Her response was the problems are with the sister ship and not the Infinity. Is this correct? Did anybody experience cruise cancellation or itinerary changes sailing on the Infinity?

Thanks for your response.

Infinity has had Pod problems this summer, but just in the past month, was in dry dock to repair the existing problem.

We're sailing on her next month to Hawaii, and even though we're aware, that there could be a possibility of a problem, it is highly unlikely, due to the recent dry dock.

Karyn

After cruising with Disney and Princess we are giving Celebrity a try next March, hence my joining this board. I scanned the last few pages re reviews for this vessel but could not find much. However, more importantly I had heard about the propulsion problems and quite frankly asked the Celebrity Rep. about it. Her response was the problems are with the sister ship and not the Infinity. Is this correct? Did anybody experience cruise cancellation or itinerary changes sailing on the Infinity?

Procajlo, I am afraid the Celebrity Rep. really said, the Infinity has not had pod problems was either lying or a totally unqualified Celebrity customer Service rep. The cruises in which the Infinity has had problems are listed below. All of these pod problems resulted in itinerary changes and cancellation of the next cruise, since the Infinity's launch in 2000.

Infinity pod failures dry docks:

Late 2001 (3 weeks in drydock)

April 13, 2002

January 29, 2003

March 2004

March 27, 2005

September 13, 2006 This problem also impacted the cruises on July 9 and

July 16 and others before the dry dock in

September. The "oficial Celebrity reason" is termed

electrical failure within the pod system, however,

instead of replacing the electrical part that failed,

both pods were completly repaced this September.

Looking at the past history, of the Infinity you should have a good chance of not having a pod problem, but even Celebrity admits that "you just never know" when problems could happen. Of the ships in this M-Class, the Infinity has the worst record followed closely by the Summit. Looking at the past history for the Infinity you should be alright for your cruise, but it would have been nice if the Celebrity rep. had been more up-front with their answer to your question. Pod problems not withstanding, we love the size of the Infinity. Have a great cruiise.

I know of three problems with Infinity pods.

One was on the South American Horn cruise In March 2004 on the cruise right after the one we were on.

Two was March 2005 when they cancelled our cruise to Hawaii two days before we were to depart home.

Three was just recently in Alaska which I heard about.

She is a beautiful ship and I would sail her if she was doing an itinerary that we had not done or one we wanted to repeat.

All of these pod problems resulted in itinerary changes and cancellation of the next cruise, since the Infinity's launch in 2000.

Actually Infinity was inaugurated in 2001 not 2000. This means that she has had a major pod problem during every calendar year of service (six!).

On the other side of the spectrum, Constellation has not yet had any pod problems (knock on wood).

I personally, am more concerned that you called a celebrity rep to answer questions and that the rep either did not know the correct info and did not say such and then go get someone who did know the correct answer to your question--or worse that the rep purposely gave out wrong info. I am hoping the rep was just misinformed--giving the benefit of the doubt to the rep.

Let me also say, whenever I have called X for info, the reps have always been most helpful, so I am not making an accusation, I am just baffled by the response the OP was given.

I love cruising with Celebrity, but like an above poster said: I would purposely avoid taking Infinity unless it was an itinerary that was not crucial to see the ports. I am sure she is a BEAUTIFUL ship, I have always been more than pleased with service and food/entertainment on X, but part of my personal cruising experience is the itinerary.

I was on the Zenith cruise that was diverted just recently from Bermuda to the Bahamas. I was a hair away from cancelling to a following week, but chose to go anyway. Yes, I had a wonderful cruise. X was wonderful in everyway. BUT yes, now weeks later, I still feel down about not going to Bermuda. This is no fault but my own and mother nature. The Bahamas were as good as could be expected! But it was not what I planned or hoped for, but what I got instead. Thankfully, I had done Zenith to Bermuda last season!

Keep in mind, I knew about the change in itinerary and made my own choice--so the feeling of "let down" might be a bit less knowing this choice was in my control. If I was on an itinerary I really desired and dreamed about, I would imagine I would be feeling a bit more disheartened.

Anyway, it's over and done with. My DH and I did have a lovely cruise experience. Met some lovey people. Created some great memories. Had a relaxing great vacation. Now on to planning my next cruise! :)

Parojaclo, did you get the name of this rep? If so, do everyone a favor and recontact Celebrity, get a supervisor, and report the incident. If it was indeed an honest error, then the individual can be corrected. If, let us hope not, it was and outright attempt to mis-inform, then hopefully the rep well be counseled. ( In my old job, that meant fired)

Inifinity, November 19, 2006 will be the third Infinity cruise I have booked. The other two have been cancelled (one at the last minute-4 days) due to pod problems.

I was very leary booking this cruise (espcially since it was booked before the drydock). But I want to go through the Panama Canal and must be in Santiago for a business meeting by Dec. 6. So this cruise was truly the best of both worlds.

If this cruise gets cancelled, there will be no more cruises for DH. He even refuses to go on the QE2 transatlantic in January (which is paid in full) if this cruise gets cancelled. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

No, the Celebrity rep. is not correct. We were on the Infinity in July, and we had pod problems, and so did the cruise the previous week. We left Vancouver 1 day late, never saw the inside passage, and Sitka was cancelled. In addition, all of our port times were changed, so we had limited time in the 2 remaining ports. This was our "once in a lifetime" cruise to Alaska. We would advise anyone considering sailing on the Infinity to look elsewhere, unless you really don't care if you don't get to the ports. It is just not worth it taking a chance on this ship breaking down. These problems have been going on for quite some time & Celebrity just seems to "band-aid" them with their drydocks. We wish someone would have told us about these problems before we sailed on the Infinity.

We sailed on the July 9th cruise which again had cancelled ports, delays, etc. etc. so bad in fact that Celebrity have just paid us compensation, more than was offered on board, due to my letters of complaint to RCL UK. I would not sail with X again!!!

I have sailed on Infinitey and it was my best cruise so far and I have cruised 20 times. The Infinity is a great ship and the crew provide excellent service.

However X's shore staff are terrible and never seem to know the right answer so just guess or maybe even lie about it.

Yes the Millenium class of ship has POD problems and they seem to break down approximately every 11 months so check out the last dry dock and then see when your departure date falls and go from there. However remember every ship regardless of crusie line is man made and mechanical so can breakdown!

X has been very generous about conpensating passengers when the ships break down. They are in a huge law suit with Rolls Royce who manufactured the faulty POD's.

I would book and sail the Infinity again - in fact I am trying to find an itinerary that the Infinity sails that I have not already visited most of the ports so that I can book and enjoy her agian.

We have been extremely lucky. We have been on Infinity four times (3 aft cabins:D ) in the last two and a half years and never had a pod problem. We have good friends who were on her famous canal crossing where they flew everyone home from Acapulco and they still sailed Infinity again.

As far as I am concerned, a day on Infinity is better than any shore excursion. I would stay on her in dry dock as long as the Martini Bar, AquaSpa Cafe, United States restaurant, Tpool and Persian Gardens were working. We would sail her again in a minute.

When I called Celebrity to get info on an Alaska cruise, the extremely helpful rep recommended the Mercury over Summit for convenience purposes (traveling with young kids - wanted roundtrip cruise, no bus transfers to airports, etc.) When I asked about the Infinity being an option with a similar itinerary, (nicer, newer) he simply said - "book the Mercury, trust me." I assumed he meant the Mercury would be more conducive to kids/families and I didn't pursue it (I had also just read a couple of great new reviews of Mercury on these boards and was fine with booking her), but now I am thinking he was steering me away from possible problems on Infinity. Who knows.

Sailed on Infinity Sept 23 to Oct 8th, the pods worked just fine - as well they should since she came out of dry dock only two days before I boarded,after spending 10 days having the pods fixed.

I am booked to go on Summit in 8 weeks and the Infinity again in April 2007.

Do I have a complaint - yes, 3 of the 7 films shown the first week were for children aged 6-10, the same 7 were shown again on the second week, it seems Celebrity did not think passengers might wish to see different films the second week of a 14 days cruise.

If it was indeed an honest error, then the individual can be corrected. If, let us hope not, it was and outright attempt to mis-inform, then hopefully the rep well be counseled. ( In my old job, that meant fired)

If, in fact, it WAS an outright attempt to mis-inform, I can't imagine that it was this one particular reps idea to misinform. Rather, I would guess that he/she was giving the party line... After all, what would the rep possibly have to gain for him/herself by giving misinformation?

If this is the case, I doubt the rep would be counseled/fired. He she may be given a bonus! Is that too cynical?

Jimsgirl, given the problems you had with a cancelled cruise, etc., I'd say if that's your complaint about the cruise, it's a ringing endorsement for the ship!:D Hope everything else was good!:) But I understand if you like movies that you'd be dissapointed.

I leave in 12 days and might make it to the movies once....didn't make it at all this Spring on the Transatlantic... so it should work for me.:cool:

Andrew

Procajlo, I am afraid the Celebrity Rep. really said, the Infinity has not had pod problems was either lying or a totally unqualified Celebrity customer Service rep. The cruises in which the Infinity has had problems are listed below. All of these pod problems resulted in itinerary changes and cancellation of the next cruise, since the Infinity's launch in 2000.

Infinity pod failures dry docks:

Late 2001 (3 weeks in drydock)

April 13, 2002

January 29, 2003

March 2004

March 27, 2005

September 13, 2006 This problem also impacted the cruises on July 9 and

July 16 and others before the dry dock in

September. The "oficial Celebrity reason" is termed

electrical failure within the pod system, however,

instead of replacing the electrical part that failed,

both pods were completly repaced this September.

Looking at the past history, of the Infinity you should have a good chance of not having a pod problem, but even Celebrity admits that "you just never know" when problems could happen. Of the ships in this M-Class, the Infinity has the worst record followed closely by the Summit. Looking at the past history for the Infinity you should be alright for your cruise, but it would have been nice if the Celebrity rep. had been more up-front with their answer to your question. Pod problems not withstanding, we love the size of the Infinity. Have a great cruiise.

Hi,

Were the pods really completely replaced? This would cost £1M or more. I would have expected just a bearing replacement again. Can anyone confirm that the complete pods were replaced?

Ian :D

Hi,

Were the pods really completely replaced? This would cost £1M or more. I would have expected just a bearing replacement again. Can anyone confirm that the complete pods were replaced?

Partly yes. The malfunctioning pod was completely replaced. The problem was not the bearings, but of a completely different nature.

Just returned from her first cruise since the drydock and she was sailing up to her best. At times we were steaming at speeds close to 25 knots.

DaneViking

Partly yes. The malfunctioning pod was completely replaced. The problem was not the bearings, but of a completely different nature.

Just returned from her first cruise since the drydock and she was sailing up to her best. At times we were steaming at speeds close to 25 knots.

DaneViking

Many thanks.

Its time for them to develop a new reliable pod bearing assembly and replace each ships pods one by one I think.

You seem to be moving along a high quality trend line toward more and more 'elegant' cruise style... Not to say X is 'better' than Princess or Disney; it simply offers a bit different style that you will probably enjoy.

Given the random nature of it, I don't think I would let the pod problems X has suffered with the M ships determine whether I booked, particularly since Infinity has recently had major work done. This problem is not X fault, it is a design flaw that will require a long time to finally change out (sounds like Infinity may be beyond it). X sued ship builder Alstom's over this problem and recovered a large settlement...

X generally does a fine job aboard, although their mid-level hotel management and shore side staff leave plenty of room for improvement.

I'd still give'em a try.

We were on the 9-3-2006 ten night cruise on Infinity out of Vancouver. We were informed well prior to our cruise that Infinity would be doing a max of 19 knots, that there were minor changes in time for two ports, and that Infinity would be going into drydock following our cruise.

The result: With one exception, Infinity arrived and departed in every port on time. The exception - one half hour late in docking in San Francisco because of very heavy fog in the Golden Gate.

It was a marvelous cruise - and the highlight of the cruise was how close we got to the Hubbard Glacier and how long we were there. In fact, the Captain came on over the 1MC system and announced "If any Captain says he got closer to the glacier, he was lying". You could hear cheers all over the vessel when he made that announcement.

The port pod could only be operated at a max of 70% power - and I verified that fact because during a tour of the bridge the little port pod lever had a note on it stating "70% Max".

These pod problems, that I been reading about are very scary. One poster mentioned this has happened multiple times. If this true, it would seem that the cruise line has made a decision to continue sailing with the faulty pods. I can't understand why these problems would be allowed to continue.

Exactly! We were on the July 9th cruise with pod problems which caused us to dock 6 hrs late, missed port and missed inside passage - all very disappointing plus Norovirus rampant on board too. And it was our honeymoon! Not very special at all. X should be heavily fined for not delivering their promised product so repeatedly.

Archived