New City....Never Been There Before.......

sail7seas

If your ship is going to stop at a city you have never been to, are you more likely to book a ship's sponsored tour, an independent tour you arrange prior to traveling to the ship or arrange a private tour on your own at the dock?

For us it would depend on the city. If it's an area we'd like to drive out of town and experience the countryside and it's possible to rent a car, then we would do that.

If the port IS the city (such as Old San Juan), we will often just poke around by ourselves. If the city is a great distance (such as Florence from Livorno), we would have to see what sort of transportation could get us to the city. If none existed, a ship's tour would be in order.

Otherwise, given the short amount of time there, we would most likely just book a ship's tour. I know it's a bit more expensive, but for many reasons I just feel more comfortable doing that.

But I read the tour descriptions very carefully because I've learned over the years that they have experts writing up the little synopses. They can make a really stupid tour sound absolutely awesome. These writers are worth their weight in gold:D .

We look at the different shore excursions offered by the cruise line and if there is one of interest to us, then we consider taking it depending upon the time and cost factor. Sometimes we will just walk around on our own or if it doesn't seem to have any interest for us we stay on the ship. This is true for ports we've been to before as well. We may stay on the ship and not go into a port at all!

There is NYC most know of.. but no cruise ships in New City, Rockland County, NY (The County Seat).. they do have a great aggy dept there.. and the Hudson River has Ports just Morth of the Tappan Zee Bridge.. yes a Dutch name.. Old Tappan, NJ and Tappan , NY is where Gen. George Washington had his Masonic Hall.

Gen's. and Admiral Fremont (Fremont, CA) and CA first State Gov.are burried overlooking the Hudson River and Tappan Zee Bridge..

Many US Navy Ships were mothballed on the Hudson there.. and West Point (USMA) is just north of it too a few miles...

On the other side is where John Jays house is. He was the first Chief Justice and invented the barrister Book Case, from a need as he was doing the Circuit aand wanted no dust/mud on his books of law.. a true American with ingenuity .

So when your in NYC visit the USMA and area it has so much wonderful history for everyone..

Thye have a phenominal maritine collection as well.

If your ship is going to stop at a city you have never been to, are you more likely to book a ship's sponsored tour, an independent tour you arrange prior to traveling to the ship or arrange a private tour on your own at the dock?

It very much depends on where it is & what we are interested in...We've traveled so much, because of my job, that in most places I'm comfortable booking our own tours, just walking around, or taking a cab with a local guide..

However, if we are in ports where there is a safety concern, or wish to travel to a distant place from the ship, we'll most likely book a ship's tour.. On our cruises to South America & the the Amazon we did both ship tours & private tours..

In Nov.will be in Dominica & Isla De Margarita for the first time..In both places we've booked private tours in the morning.. In the other cities, we'll either walk around, or perhaps to take a Cab for a short sightseeing trip or to a place which we've been before.. We try to make sure the Cab's look to be in good working order..LOL... ;) Also book them early enough for us to get back to town or the ship for lunch.. After Lunch will walk around the town/port or just might enjoy the afternoon on the Prominade Deck..:) (Our favorite spot)

Once in a great while, we'll just poke around the port shops for a bit & then go back to enjoy the rest of day in the Crow's Nest (another favorite spot) or the Prominade Deck..

Happy cruising everyone..:) Betty

We like to see what the ship is doing, then sometimes book a similar excursion on our own. Or, we do some research prior to going, and plan a completely different excursion. We don't like tour buses and try to avoid them at all costs! However, one of our best times ever was on a HAL sponsered float plane in Alaska.

For example, in Quepos, Costa Rica, we had a great time on an ATV ride we planned ahead. This winter we'll be going horseback riding in Tobago. Neither of these are or were available through the ship.

Beth

There is NYC most know of.. but no cruise ships in New City, Rockland County, NY (The County Seat).. they do have a great aggy dept there.. and the Hudson River has Ports just Morth of the Tappan Zee Bridge.. yes a Dutch name.. Old Tappan, NJ and Tappan , NY is where Gen. George Washington had his Masonic Hall.

Gen's. and Admiral Fremont (Fremont, CA) and CA first State Gov.are burried overlooking the Hudson River and Tappan Zee Bridge..

Many US Navy Ships were mothballed on the Hudson there.. and West Point (USMA) is just north of it too a few miles...

On the other side is where John Jays house is. He was the first Chief Justice and invented the barrister Book Case, from a need as he was doing the Circuit aand wanted no dust/mud on his books of law.. a true American with ingenuity .

So when your in NYC visit the USMA and area it has so much wonderful history for everyone..

Thye have a phenominal maritine collection as well.

Are you saying this is what you did on a port stop you had never been to?

What are you saying here!??:confused:

Beth

When going to a new port we prefer to take ship sponsered tours. Until we have been there at least once and have some idea what we are doing we feel it is the best way.
(Also Krazy Kruizers).

Ditto. Remember it may not take much of a snafu on a do-it-yourself day to miss your sailing, whereas the ship will wait for a busload of people on one of their excursions that has been delayed. :D

Whenever we have a new port on any of our itineraries, we prefer to do a ship's tour -- especially in countries that we are not familar with.

That is how we feel to. We are going to New Zealand and Australia and we booking any tours we take through Hal. We will much more comfortable and even safe with them. It is along way to be left behind and try to find your way to the next port the ship is stopping at.

For us it would depend on the city. If it's an area we'd like to drive out of town and experience the countryside and it's possible to rent a car, then we would do that.

If the port IS the city (such as Old San Juan), we will often just poke around by ourselves. If the city is a great distance (such as Florence from Livorno), we would have to see what sort of transportation could get us to the city. If none existed, a ship's tour would be in order.

Otherwise, given the short amount of time there, we would most likely just book a ship's tour.

Ditto..:)

Are you saying this is what you did on a port stop you had never been to?

What are you saying here!??:confused:

Beth

Everyone needs a role. I have chosen to be AAAAmerican's interpreter, on some occasions, because, for reasons I don't quite understand, I get him, most of the time. In this case, when I saw the title of the thread, my first reaction was why in the world would Sails be asking about New City, New York, a place in Rockland County, about an hour's drive from NYC. I thought it possible she might be interested in going beyond NYC, as a part of a pre post post cruise thing.

Clearly, that was not the intent of Sail's post. Sooooooo, I am thinking our dear AAAAmerican thought this an opportunity to ( with a dash of tongue in cheek) share his love of the area and its rich history, with the board. He is a loverof HAL, knowledgable, respectful, oftentimes clever and clearly off the wall. As I said, I don't know why, but I get his posts, most of the time.

I got so into New City, New York, I forgot to reply.

I love new ports and for me half the fun of cruising is researching the port and figuring out what I want to do with the limited time onboard. I have a tendency to shun many shore excursions because I want more freedom than a tour might provide.

Waiting for people who assume the return to the bus time does not apply to them makes me nuts on shore excursions. Invariably, it is not someone who needs assitance or is in any way disabled, that we wait for. I swear I have waited for the same people on different tours, ships, intineraries and years. I have been on tours where it has been necessary to cut short and/ or eliminate subsequent stops because of the time lost, waiting.

You can almost predict the people who are most likely to keep everyone waiting as they were late to arrive, to begin with. I am the passenger that finds the MIA in a near-by shop trying to decide if the trinket is worth 3.00 U.S. and I make no bones about it- CHOP-CHOP. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

And oh my goodness, I have gone off, way off topic. Sorry Sails.

Everyone needs a role. I have chosen to be AAAAmerican's interpreter,

There's no need to go to all that trouble for us, hammybee. ;)

He is ... clearly off the wall.

Just as clearly an understatement here. :rolleyes:

Everyone needs a role. I have chosen to be AAAAmerican's interpreter,

Thank you, but please, don't.

While we each get off topic some of the time, we don't all get off topic all the time.

I was previously enjoying this thread about whether people choose to look around on their own and once again, a hijack.

Beth

And from now on, I will TRY to say nothing.

Sail, back to the question at hand.:) We tend to prefer a tour offered by the ship for the first time. This coming Zaandam cruise we have 6 ports, 3 new and 3 we have been to many times. We have booked 3 excursion and only in the new ports. One of the ports we are only in till 1 pm and since we really want ot see Ixtapa we feel it much safer to take a HAL tourrather than to take off on our own. Now we have been to Mazatlan several times and will definitely go out on our own.

We have never prearranged an independent tour that I can remember. We would either do the ship's, a pickup off the dock or a self tour. The choice being dependent on the port and places of interest.

Some cities like Halifax we were able to easily walk to those things we wanted to see. If the site is far off or not easily gotten to or from independently then the ship tour or pickup tour is our choice. In Tahiti we did a lot of pickup tours on the dock. They were cheaper, there were four of us to split the cost or the boat or taxi, and we could see what we wanted and go at our pace.

It depends on how long we are in port and what I want to do in that city.

95% of the time I book independent tours from operators that have good reviews from the "ports of call" board. Since I often sail solo, the independent tours normally have fewer people and I enjoy this fact.

But I also book ship tours from time to time, esp if I want to enjoy something that's a great distance from the port and the timing is very close to departing. The times that I booked a ship tour, I enjoyed them and felt it was a good value.

I only arranged a tour at the dock in the Caymans since that was the one port that people on the port of call suggested.

But I prefer the independent tours because you get so much more out of them because the people that run them are very proud of their city and want to show you what makes it so wonderful.

When going to a new port, we usually hire a car and driver (that speaks understandable English), instruct him to show us all the highlights of the city, and then drop us off at the best restaurant in town. In the case of the New England trip, the driver was to drop us off at the best lobster restaurant around.:D We had some FABULOUS lobster/seafood on that trip! After lunch we walk to the places we were interested in from seeing them on the driver's highlight tour, and then walk back to the ship (if possible, and it usually is.) When we return to that city on the next trip, we usually know exactly what we want to spend quality time seeing or doing......and sometimes that "quality" time is spent shopping! :D

We have never been fans of the ships' tours after trying them out on a few trips. While I know it is the safest method to be sure the ship doesn't sail without you, we just make sure we are back at the ship in plenty of time for sail away!

Archived