Heelys allowed on board?

My kids have Heelys (tennis shoes w/ wheels in the heels). They've never been told not to use them in a store, however we've heard several families tell us their kids were told "no rolling in this store".

I'm wondering if any of you have seen kids using Heelys on a cruise ship? Would hate to drag the Heely's along if they're not allowed on board!

We're taking our first cruise 11/12/06 on Mariner. Thanks!

I know that they aren't allowed in many of the schools around here and some malls as well. I think that, for a number of reasons including passenger safety, that the cruiseline will not want your kids wearing them onboard either. They may not have a formal policy at this point, but even on the ships that have a rollerblade track, I believe that the provide rollerblades and ask that passengers not bring their own. I'd suggest erring on the side of caution and leaving them home.:)

my children brought theirs we took the wheels out before boarding and never put them in during the cruise due to the fact that you really dont have a place to ride them without annoying someone!We never asked about the rollerblade track though.The decision to not put wheels in were my three daughters.They felt that it was unfair to inconvenience people for their own enjoyment.I cant tell you how proud i was of them!(11,10,9):D

One kid had them on EOS and was told not to use them. They are very dangerous, especially in crowded areas. My mall does not permit them and I tell kids in my store every day to stop using them. They are the worst thing ever invented and they are very dangerous.

Oh, please no! I can't tell you the number of times I have been run into with kids wearing these shoes. Plus, on a cruise ship the flooring can change in a heartbeat. You don't want your kids to fall and risk an injury. If they want to rollerblade on the ship, just use the ones the ship provides.

As to the question, does RCI allow them. I don't know that there is a rule either for/against them but I can say that I saw kids using them on our last cruise. So either they allow them or the kids were getting away with it.

At any rate, I pretty much agree with the above posters. Not the greatest product in the world. But then again I never thought that trampolines were such a great idea either.

Please leave them at home. The ship has thousands of passengers and crew on board. I would hate to see your child or a passenger injured due to an accident with those things. A cruise ship is not the environment for skates of any kind, regardless of what they are called. The only exception is the ice skating rink or the area where rollerblading is allowed.

Please leave them at home. I saw a child using them in church at the Christmas mass last year. It is difficult sometimes as things change so quickly and new things come out each day for "rules" to keep up, but then again I guess that is what a parent's good judgement and supervision is for.

My kids have them and where very repectful of other guests. I was worried about it too but no one said anything to them. When the areas where crowded they knew not to use them. They also know not to use them in the dining rooms and Windjammer. As a matter of fact several kids had them and I didn't hear of or see any issues. They also spent so much time in Adventure Ocean they didn't neet to use them.

Teach your kids the rules and as long as they listen they should be fine. Sorry to all you nay sayers.

My kids have them and where very repectful of other guests. I was worried about it too but no one said anything to them. When the areas where crowded they knew not to use them. They also know not to use them in the dining rooms and Windjammer. As a matter of fact several kids had them and I didn't hear of or see any issues. They also spent so much time in Adventure Ocean they didn't neet to use them.

Teach your kids the rules and as long as they listen they should be fine. Sorry to all you nay sayers.

I always wondered what those shoes were called. I think they are cool. Wish we had em when I was a kid.

I don't see the big deal. I've seen kids use them - albeit limitedly - with no problem.

It would be almost impossible for anyone to slide off a cruise ship, the railing is all the way to the floor and over 4 feet high.

Anyway, I don't see any problem bringing them, I just doubt they would have much use for them onboard a ship. The areas where they would work is pretty limited. The decks are crowded a lot.

My daughter had a pair, although she's grown out of them and we put them in the Goodwill bag a couple years back. She wore them only a limited amount of time, only at home because school wouldn't allow them. It would never occur to me to take them on a cruise ship, unless they are the shoes the kid always wore. To be extra shoes they take up too much packing space and weight.

I'm not bothered by them, there are worse things in life than kids playing.

As a courtesy to the other guests please leave them home. A ship is not a place for them as I am sure you will agree once you step on board.:)

I agree........................I am not a fan of them, myself......

My kids have Heelys (tennis shoes w/ wheels in the heels). They've never been told not to use them in a store, however we've heard several families tell us their kids were told "no rolling in this store".

I'm wondering if any of you have seen kids using Heelys on a cruise ship? Would hate to drag the Heely's along if they're not allowed on board!

We're taking our first cruise 11/12/06 on Mariner. Thanks!

I think your last sentice say's it all

We're taking our first cruise

I have 2 kids and would never think to have them bring them on a cruise. On a crowded cruise ship deck the last thing you want are kids skating by you. Have a little consideration please:)

On our last cruise on the Grandeur, one child had his on, and was rolling all over the ship. He ran into me at least twice, without a word of apology, of course. He was skating all through the Solarium, using the area as his personal playground. I never saw a parent, or else I would have had a talk with him/her. I was more than a little annoyed...

I have this picture in my mind of a child rolling overboard. The only thing more annoying than out-of-control children are the parents that tolerate (and even encourage inappropriate behavior in their children. Common sense should be a prerequisite of parenting.

Hank

I have this picture in my mind of a child rolling overboard. The only thing more annoying than out-of-control children are the parents that tolerate (and even encourage inappropriate behavior in their children. Common sense should be a prerequisite of parenting.

Hank

We agree with you Hank, it's bad enough that we have to put up with the Heelys at the grocery store!!

###

My son is on his second set of Heely's and wears them everywhere he goes! That being said, there are ground rules for those shoes and consequences to follow breaking those rules. There are ill-behaved children (as well as adults) anywhere that you go. Unfortunately, we seem to only remember the poorly behaved, don't we?

I will allow my son to take his shoes, but I know that I can trust him not to run into passengers...or try to skate over them. In fact, the majority of the time he walks in them as though they are regular tennis shoes. And I imagine that after he boards, with the exception of being in port, he will be wearing his flip-flops anyway!

Just as a side note, the last cruise that I was on I had some drunk person bump into me and spill her drink (that was RED) on my pastel colored top. But, I won't hold that against anyone wanting to have a cosmo, either!!

My son is on his second set of Heely's and wears them everywhere he goes! That being said, there are ground rules for those shoes and consequences to follow breaking those rules. There are ill-behaved children (as well as adults) anywhere that you go. Unfortunately, we seem to only remember the poorly behaved, don't we?

I will allow my son to take his shoes, but I know that I can trust him not to run into passengers...or try to skate over them. In fact, the majority of the time he walks in them as though they are regular tennis shoes. And I imagine that after he boards, with the exception of being in port, he will be wearing his flip-flops anyway!

Just as a side note, the last cruise that I was on I had some drunk person bump into me and spill her drink (that was RED) on my pastel colored top. But, I won't hold that against anyone wanting to have a cosmo, either!!

But the fact of the matter is that THE SHIP MOVES. You can't always control your own movements on a moving ship. If there is sudden, or even not-so-sudden movement, that very sweet, dear, under-control skating kid can become a PROJECTILE, risking harm to him/herself and anyone nearby.

PLEASE: This is simply NOT a good idea.

And just because OTHER people do not necessarily exercise good judgment in THEIR behavior does NOT justify OTHER unacceptable or obnoxious behavior.

Archived