First Time Princess Cruise- Best Check-in Time?

Matt143

Hello,

Going on my 1st cruise with Princess in a few weeks.

What would be the best time to check in?

I realize that the docs that Princess sends out says 2:00PM, and yet I believe I can check in at 12:00PM...what time is best??

I think it's fun to go early and meet some of the people you will be sharing a ship with for a week or two. Be aware that you might not be able to drop off you luggage if you go too early, but as soon as they are able someone will come around and collect your bags. Usually (but not always) boarding starts between 11:30 and noon.

This is your first cruise and the odds are everything is in order and no problems will be encountered.

This is the first time out, so get there early just in case there is some type of snag you are unaware of.

That's an interesting question because there are different ways you can look at the 'best' time to board. As others have said, I believe the doors open at 12 noon, so you can line up before then and then your wait time is as long as you are lined up + a little bit. Or you can go with the crowds between 1-2pm .. finally, if you don't want to wait at all you can board around 3pm and you'll probably be the only one there. Even with the wait times, the earlier you line up the earlier you will board, just depends if you are willing to wait in line.

To me, the earlier the better. That first day is one of your paid for vacation days, so for me anyways, the earlier I start enjoying it the better.

Even if your cabin is not ready yet, you can at least explore the ship, find your way around, and grab lunch before it gets really crowded. When we were on the Jewel in April, we boarded early and they said our cabins would not be ready for us to be in for another hour, so we went to our cabin, asked our steward if she would mind us "dumping our carryons" - she didn't, we put them neatly in a corner out of her way, and we tipped her later, and off we went to explore. Other folks were lugging their carryons all over the ship!!!

We've seen some folks carry on their bathing suits and already be enjoying the pool right away (only time its empty and you can get a seat right next to the pool!!)

Before you know it, its muster time and then sail away.

Thank you all so much for your replies. Perhaps I will go there between 10:30 and 11:00 AM as I'll be very excited to get on and start having fun!

Matt, if you mentioned which port you're sailing from, I missed it, but when we sailed out of Port Everglades last year, our hotel dropped us off about 11:15 and we had quite a wait, in the sun, until they opened the doors at noon (it was close to 12:30 before we got into the terminal building). Just a warning...it's fun even waiting in line (I think), but I got sunburned before I ever began my cruise.

And definitely pack your swimwear in your carryon (if you're into that sort of thing).

Matt, if you mentioned which port you're sailing from, I missed it, but when we sailed out of Port Everglades last year, our hotel dropped us off about 11:15 and we had quite a wait, in the sun, until they opened the doors at noon (it was close to 12:30 before we got into the terminal building). Just a warning...it's fun even waiting in line (I think), but I got sunburned before I ever began my cruise.

And definitely pack your swimwear in your carryon (if you're into that sort of thing).

FYI--On the 9/23 sailing of the CB from Port Everglades, we got there at 11. There was already quite a crowd in the (A/C) indoor waiting area. By 11:45 they closed it off and everyone else had to wait outside. They started boarding around 12:15.

Our first cruise will be next September and I have a related question. When do you book the specialty dining rooms, spa treatments, etc.? Is that done before you get on the ship, or after you board? I think I read somewhere (I've read MANY, MANY things over the past week or so...) that it's a good idea to establish and/or confirm these things as soon as you get on the ship.

Therefore, would that be a good reason to board early?

Thank you for your assistance,

Brent

FYI--On the 9/23 sailing of the CB from Port Everglades, we got there at 11. There was already quite a crowd in the (A/C) indoor waiting area. By 11:45 they closed it off and everyone else had to wait outside. They started boarding around 12:15.

Hmmmm...so maybe we missed the cutoff? That's probably what happened; otherwise, when they opened the doors we should have made faster progress.

Hmmmm...so maybe we missed the cutoff? That's probably what happened; otherwise, when they opened the doors we should have made faster progress.

Could be ... I saw your post and thought 11:15 would have been ok. Maybe that day the inside waiting room wasn't used? Who knows. But it was filling up fast.

In Feb., we got to the ship around 12:30 .... huge mistake. Did not get on board until 2, and also waited in the sun. That's why we were early birds this time.

Our first cruise will be next September and I have a related question. When do you book the specialty dining rooms, spa treatments, etc.? Is that done before you get on the ship, or after you board? I think I read somewhere (I've read MANY, MANY things over the past week or so...) that it's a good idea to establish and/or confirm these things as soon as you get on the ship.

Therefore, would that be a good reason to board early?

Thank you for your assistance,

Brent

Spa treatments you can book online under your cruise personalizer starting about 90 days before your cruise (a toggle will appear). However, you should know that during the week, they often offer spa specials (like some port days) or towards the end of the cruise (esp. longer cruises). You can save a lot by waiting.

Specialty dining is reserved after boarding, but we've never had a problem. On the Island, we called the morning of and were able to have dinner reservations.

Best reasons to board early is 1) to not wait in the sun outside; 2) start your vacation asap!

Matt143- I checked in at San Pedro a few weeks ago and waited 45min to 1hr. From dropping luggage with a porter to getting to my room. Not too bad, I did not think. It was 2:15pm. At 3:30pm was the emergency drill, so I wasn't in my room that long. Emergency drill was fairly quick though. Then off to eat at the buffet as I had only eaten breakfast about 9am. Then off to dinner at 8pm as we had anytime dining.

So I guess everyone will have their story as to checking in. I journaled the whole trip so my times are very accurate.:)

Not sure were you're cruising from but if it is Fort Lauderdale get there at 10:30...you'll be sitting at a bar way before noon. If you can not get there before 11 do not go until 2pm or latter, the lines will be a mess and the wait nerve wracking.

10:30 is the time...after 11 is no good.

Last time for the CB we got there around 11:30 and the doors just opened and the line moved fast to get inside. We would like to get there to get inside before they shut the doors and if I am reading this right there is a time slot they open the doors and let a few in and then shut them? What time do we need for that arrival. We leave this Saturday.

• 8 years later...
I will be sailing out of Seattle. I want to know if there is a place to get my wine before boarding.

I don't want to take it on the plane.

Nothing right around the terminal. If you are taking a taxi have them stop at a store for you. SeaTac has a few places that you can buy some lovely Washington wines if you want to pick them up at the airport. Of course, you pay airport prices.

For me, the best part is boarding before 1:30 so I can go to the MDR for a nice quiet lunch. The buffet is a zoo.

You beat me to it.:D

We start with the avocado and shrimp appetizer, then usually have the salmon, and since I have no will power, the orange soufflé for me. We think it is the best MDR lunch on the cruise.

I will be sailing out of Seattle. I want to know if there is a place to get my wine before boarding.

I don't want to take it on the plane.

For our Alaskan cruise, we got into Seattle (via train) late on a Friday night. We rented a car for the Saturday so we can get in a little sightseeing (we also stayed a few days post-cruise) but also go shopping for wine and other things we didn't want to lug on the train). We returned the rental on Sunday morning and got a shuttle to the pier. Worked out nicely for us.