Offer to purchase upgrade-good deal or not?

preemiemd

Hi,

We are booked on an 11 day S. Caribbean cruise on the Noordam in a few weeks. We had booked a verandah guarantee (Cat VH or better) for the price of $830pp + $286pp port charge/taxes ($1116 total pp). No cabin had been assigned yet and this morning our TA called with this offer from HAL - upgrade to SA suite for an extra $449 pp (new total 1565 pp). Doing a quick review of fares on future Noordam sailings this looks like a good deal for an SA suite in general - what is your opinion. Anyone been in this category before - is it worthwhile. We've been in suites on NCL before but this is our first HAL sail. Thanks

I think it's worth it. I love the suites (had an SB). I just upgraded my parents on the Noordam from SS to SA for $200pp - so for the extra categories to jump - I think it's a great deal for you!

We've also traveled in the AC on NCL Dawn and the GS and FS on RCL Explorer and Voyager (respectively) and Cat 12 on Carnival.

I think the extra room and the large balcony are worth every penny.

Have fun!

Thanks for responding so quick - we have decided to go for it. After all who knows when our next vacation will be.

Frick and Frack - do you remember anything about the Neptune lounge? My husband wants to know if complementary cocktails are served there. thanks again

Thanks for responding so quick - we have decided to go for it. After all who knows when our next vacation will be.

Frick and Frack - do you remember anything about the Neptune lounge? My husband wants to know if complementary cocktails are served there. thanks again

no free cocktails, however, there was a suite welcome aboard cocktail party with compliementary drinks and hours'd ouvres.

they have the best espresso, capp, etc though throughout the day.

Hi there, Preemiemd, I'm not Frick or Frack, but we have been in an SA suite recently. The Neptune Lounge does not serve cocktails, complimentary or otherwise, except for the Captain's suite reception, as Lola mentioned. Then there will be complimentary cocktails and the hors d'oeuvres selection will be very nice.

There is a fantastic espresso/cappuccino machine, a wonderful selection of gourmet teas, and goodies prepared by the Pinnacle Grill chef on hand all day long. The concierge in the Neptune Lounge will take care of all your needs, whether it be excursions, reservations, or settling your onboard bill. There are comfy chairs and a great selection of newspapapers, magazines, and art/travel books. The Neptune Lounge is also a wireless "hotspot", although there is a fee for using HAL's wireless service, even for those in the SA category.

You will LOVE your SA suite! Good for you! They have huge balconies, with two loungers, a large round table and four chairs, plus a small coffee table. Have a wonderful time!:)

Karin

We were in an S on the Volendam in Febraury and will be in a B on the Veendam next March. I could only wish that we'd be made such an offer!!! (All S's are presently shown as booked so not much chance of that happening.) The difference between a B and an S on our cruise is like $1,800 per person and that's a discounted rate...a $450 per person plus up to an S would be a deal not to refuse!!! Oh me......<sigh> I see you've made the decision to accept...you will not be sorry. :)

Thank you so much for the information. We just received our cabin assignment (SA7055) . And to think I was excited before just waiting for our balcony guarantee cruise - now I can hardly contain myself - 18 days to go.

Oh, I haven't given you the whole list yet!:) All laundry and dry cleaning is complimentary in the SA category. You will receive priority disembarkation and tendering privileges. There will be a bottle of welcome champagne in your suite when you arrive. You will have so much ROOM!! WOW, and 7055 is located right across the hall from the Neptune Lounge! You can dash over there throughout the day and grab yourself a little refreshment. (Gosh, as you can see, I'm excited for you, too!)

Karin

Thank you so much for the information. We just received our cabin assignment (SA7055) . And to think I was excited before just waiting for our balcony guarantee cruise - now I can hardly contain myself - 18 days to go.

You will simply love your suite on the beautiful Noordam, and the ladies in the Neptune Lounge (Janee & Sandie) are just wonderful.

A word of caution.... you may well be hooked .... there may well be no going back ....

Have a fabulous trip.

PreemieMD -The Neptune is simply a gathering place with snacks all day/Conceirge Service all day/ TV/Coffee& Tea etc. Ordinarily no alcohol is served -however a welcome Captain's party is usually there -with alcohol for just suite guests. This Conceirge becomes YOUR "front desk" so you simply route your stuff & questions there.There will be additional get-togethers for suites during your cruise- AND remember the rooms are approx. TWICE the size of normal rooms. Is your offer "worth it" - ? Only you know that. We feel it is and were on the Noordam -in a suite - from September 18 -October 14.

I would be delighted to come along and share your room /experiences WITH you!!!!!! Anne

Hi,

We are booked on an 11 day S. Caribbean cruise on the Noordam in a few weeks. We had booked a verandah guarantee (Cat VH or better) for the price of $830pp + $286pp port charge/taxes ($1116 total pp). No cabin had been assigned yet and this morning our TA called with this offer from HAL - upgrade to SA suite for an extra $449 pp (new total 1565 pp). Doing a quick review of fares on future Noordam sailings this looks like a good deal for an SA suite in general - what is your opinion. Anyone been in this category before - is it worthwhile. We've been in suites on NCL before but this is our first HAL sail. Thanks

You will LOVE the upgrade...and I'll betcha you'll be hooked and will always take it in the future. I don't know what I would do without the Neptune and the laundry. I only pack for 5 days for a 10 day cruise and have my laundry done.

If you're taking a laptop and you're in port, you may be able to get a free wireless internet connection from town. I always book a cabin across from the Neptune on the Volendam and I can access their internet from my cabin...and get a free piggy-back from the balcony from town.

This will probably be the best cruise ever for you! Congrats!:)

Hi again everyone,

Thanks so much for the input and esp the tips about the Neptune lounge. If any of you wonderful cruise critic friends have any more tips to share I would love to read them. I now have so many questions running through my head about the "suite life" I don't know where to start. Do people still order room service or does the Neptune take the place of that? Did I read there is also a place for a sit down breakfast other than the main dining room? Do people actually wear the corsages on formal night or is it too awkward? Will I ever want to leave the room and go ashore? Many thanks...

Hi again everyone,..........Do people still order room service or does the Neptune take the place of that? Did I read there is also a place for a sit down breakfast other than the main dining room? Do people actually wear the corsages on formal night or is it too awkward? Will I ever want to leave the room and go ashore? Many thanks...

1) You can order room service in your suite if you prefer.

2) Regarding breakfast venues, I don't know about Noordam; I think suite guests can have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, but someone who's been on Noordam can correct me if I'm wrong. On the smaller ships, suite guests may have breakfast in the King's or Queen's rooms, depending on ship, which open up off the main dining room (upper level). (We've only been on Zaandam, and suite guests could eat in the King's room on that ship.)

3) Both my daughters and my husband wore their corsages/boutonniers on the first formal night, and I saw several other suite guests wear theirs. My corsage fell apart when I tried to put it on (due to my clumsiness).

4) No, you will not want to leave the room and go ashore.;)

Hi again everyone,

Thanks so much for the input and esp the tips about the Neptune lounge. If any of you wonderful cruise critic friends have any more tips to share I would love to read them. I now have so many questions running through my head about the "suite life" I don't know where to start. Do people still order room service or does the Neptune take the place of that? Did I read there is also a place for a sit down breakfast other than the main dining room? Do people actually wear the corsages on formal night or is it too awkward? Will I ever want to leave the room and go ashore? Many thanks...

We never order room service in a regular cabin, but we often do when in a suite. It just seems different... you aren't eating in your bedroom in the suite.:D Some wear the corsage/buttonairre, some don't. We do not go to the dining room for breakfast. It's either the Lido or room service. You'll probably want to leave the room and go ashore... except for that last morning... and then you'll have an overwhelming desire to stay in that room and never go ashore:D

Archived