Personal DVD player in the Dining room?

bruce-r

My wife read this thread over my shoulder just a couple of minutes ago. Reminded me that we were looking at a new SUV and all of the upper level models came with separate sound system and DVD player for the back seat passengers. One salesman even went as far as to say we could keep our kids entertained that way. We thought that was a bit funny as we're a lot closer to grandparent age than child bearing age. I can see me asking my 34 year old son if he wanted to want Little Mermaid. :o

Last year in the dining room there were two boys about 4 or 5 at the table with their parents. Every night they had earphones and some sort of screen-I couldn't tell if it was a DVD player or gameboy or what. Anyway, we thought it was just sad.

If you read this board long enough you come to realize that the posters who talk about wanting a 'family vacation' and accuse the more senior HAL pax of being 'anti-kid' are the ones who ask the most questions about Club HAL hours and babysitters.

We had one cruise where the fellow brought his own Kraft salad dressing to the table, every night. I thought was that bad enough until I read this story.

Griswalds

Not to go OT, but I *hope* that pax had food allergy issues...can't imagine what they were, though....

At late sitting (large table) on another line, one couple brought their toddler - 15 months? Child crawled all over the table, grabbing food off plates. Parents didn't bat an eye. When I said "No sweetheart - don't touch - back to Mommy and Daddy", I got a filthy look, and was told "We think it's enriching for her to enjoy new experiences." The only reply I could think of was "Perhaps this is a little late for her?" Switched tables - as did everyone else! I guess I'm another pax who expects the parents to take the child to the Lido - feed them early - then settle them to sleep or get a babysitter before heading out for their own late sitting meal.

If you read this board long enough you come to realize that the posters who talk about wanting a 'family vacation' and accuse the more senior HAL pax of being 'anti-kid' are the ones who ask the most questions about Club HAL hours and babysitters.

I thought the headsets were sad because the kids were missing out on a great experience. It's like they weren't even there. I have a nine-year old boy and it's a constant line to walk with screen time. I don't want him to grow up with no memories of his childhood, except for what shows he watched and what games he played on his gameboy.

I don't know-I just felt sorry for the kids.

He just kinda his Kraft salad dressing and wanted nothing else. I am sure they could have made a commercial out of this....However I agree, it was not an inconvience to us like the DVD player would be. We love to cruise and love trying new foods including the salad dressings...as opposed to the same old.

Griswalds

Not to go OT, but I *hope* that pax had food allergy issues...can't imagine what they were, though....

My husband and I were in a restaurant when a group walked in. Grandparents, parents, looked like a brother and three children who looked to be about 7-12yrs old. One of the kids pulled out a deck of cards and the mother, grandmother, and kids started to play. I did feel sorry for the waitress because from taking the order to serving the food, they didn't stop playing. She stood there until one child was eliminated because he wouldn't give her the order until he was. And to think, my children, who are now adults, will not put an elbow on the table in front of me.

But you know what really irks me-young people-and I don't mean children-who sit in a chair and put their foot on the seat. Do they have any idea what is on the bottom of their shoe?

Pat.

I am 46yrs old, have a 16 and 20yr old. Thank God on the four cruises I have been on that I have never seen the presentation of a DVD player. How rude! First of all, if your child cannot conduct himself at the dinner table with others that have spent a good chunk of money and want to enjoy a sophisticated meal with others, than do not bring your child to the dining room. I have read all the posts and my reply is that the training on manners starts at home as soon as the babe is hatched! My children were taught manners from the get go. No, we did not move a single item off of my tables or anyone elses when we visited. No, when my children ate, they did not slobber their faces with food and yes, they sat at the dinner table, retaurants and other people's tables for the entirety of the meal. Oh, yes, as young adults when they were 10 or so, they grumbled at me at home when I reminded them to hold their fork and knife correctly, put the napkin on their lap, set the table correctly and do not take the last portion until our dinner guests did. You know what my 20yr old son said just a month ago after dinning with his buddies? "Mom, I really appreciate all the training, you should see how people eat and how they act in restaurants. I was embarrassed!".

Parents: if you can't handle your child at home, then leave them at home. I don't want my time to relax and socialized ruined by your laziness and thoughtlessness.

Sorry, but then just cruise on Carnival! :D

Fann1sh... When I said "No sweetheart - don't touch - back to Mommy and Daddy" you are way too polite. We would have just gotten up and left the table after a few choice words.

Lovincrusin1321...the problem is that the parents don't see any problem.

AlohaPride...how do you know you're normal. LOL

My wife read this thread over my shoulder just a couple of minutes ago. Reminded me that we were looking at a new SUV and all of the upper level models came with separate sound system and DVD player for the back seat passengers. One salesman even went as far as to say we could keep our kids entertained that way. We thought that was a bit funny as we're a lot closer to grandparent age than child bearing age. I can see me asking my 34 year old son if he wanted to want Little Mermaid. :o
ROTFLMAO

I was especially amused by the Little Mermaid remark, since my husband (age 38) has never seen that movie (a favorite of mine I used to watch with younger cousins a long time ago) and I just bought it to take with us on our cruise. For viewing in our own stateroom, of course;)

On our last cruise there was a guy watching a DVD at dinner. It made it difficult for me enjoy the music on my Ipod, and it made almost impossible to focus on the e-mail I was writing on my PDA. My cell rang and he shoots me look like I was disturbing him. The nerve!

Precious.

What is this woman thinking? I read This message in the family section and could not believe it. I could only think that they have the TV on 24/7 while they are at home.

Great example of parents who have no control over a 15 mo old and will have no control over the kid when he/she is 15 yrs old.

Look at it this way........The dining room neighbors have to put up with this kid for 7 days (evenings). The parents will have to put up with this kid for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

so I managed to get to this link while I was browsing another thread about ways to keep children happy during a cruise- and everyone there was saying how great of an idea it was to bring on a DVD player for dinners with younger children. So I just thought I'd throw that our there- and that thread was much longer than this one- and everyone agreed it was a great idea. It's simply a difference in taste. You also have to remember that you are on vacation, so to say that what people would do while on vacation, is what they do at home in a structured environment- is a reflection of thier parenting, that is a hard judgement to make. I know I have 2 children- 5 and 3- My 5 year old is an angel, and has been since she came out- If I tell her to sit- she sits-the 3 year old on the other hand is a HAND FULL! does not listen, and couldn't care less if she ends up on the naughty mat, in her room, with no supper and no TV. So it does depend on the child. We're leaving to go on our first cruise in 3 weeks- and I must say I think the DVD is a great idea- do I think it's appropriate- ummm- probably not- but we are on vacation, and so is everyone else (you can move)- and as far as pawnng them off to a babysitter- well that can be argued as lack of parenting as well, as some people could argue that if you don't know anyone on the ship- how do you trust who you are leaving them with>? Just a thought- and yes I know you could goto the Lido deck- but maybe for once the parents would like to have a nice dinner served to them for the first time in 7 years, even if it means your kid watches a DVD quietly next to you- afterall you're on holidays and NEVER get to do this-

I'm old enough that even my grands would be too old for this kind of behavior, but I have to say, if it means I get to enjoy my meal..bring on the DVD (as long as headphones are involved). Just because it's used to entertain a child in a restaurant on a vacation, doesn't mean it's used at home...gee, maybe grandma gave it as a bon voyage gift, so the parents can have some down time, will child winds down from a busy day.

Perhaps the parents were trying to be considerate of others, knowing their child is rambunctious after a long day of site seeing, and no nap.

Gosh, parents are darned if the do (try to keep their child entertained, so YOU don't have to listen to them), and darned if they don't (how many times have I read about bad parents, because their over tired, over stimulated child was crying in the dinning room).

Glad I'm done raising children, because I'm sure I'd find myself having my parenting skills (or lack of) talked about on cruise boards LOL. I wonder how my children (all professionals) turned out so well, with all the "mistakes" I'm sure some of you would have thought I made with them.

A DVD player in the dining room is totally out of place. If a child is not able to endure meal service then he/she is probably not mature enough to be going on a cruise. Just my opinion.

Sometimes dinner in the dining room can take forever, and I understand that a child may not be able to tolerate sitting at the table for that long. But, in that case, the parents should either take the child to the Lido to eat, or should bribe him to sit still for an extended meal in the dining room by promising him a treat for good behavior. But they should never allow him to bring a DVD player to dinner ... same as they probably wouldn't allow him to do that at a fine restaurant at home. McDonald's ... sure. Denny's ... sure. the Chart House ... probably not. The dining room on a ship ... definitely not.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But, in that case, the parents should either take the child to the Lido to eat, or should bribe him to sit still for an extended meal in the dining room by promising him a treat for good behavior.

Yes, teachng a child that a gift will be forthcoming for good behavior is SO much better than allowing them to wind down from the day with a DVD player in a ship dining room (uh..and if that doesn't work, you won't complain about the noisy child, right? As long as the parents are doing their best).

so I managed to get to this link while I was browsing another thread about ways to keep children happy during a cruise- and everyone there was saying how great of an idea it was to bring on a DVD player for dinners with younger children.

It is a great idea if all the families with young children are seated at the same group of tables ... in one specific area of the dining room. Then ... fine ... let the kids have their DVD players. But don't seat children with other passengers and then expect those other passengers to just deal with it.

I don't feel the dining room is a place for a child who cannot sit through a meal without entertainment. If the child is too young to be able to do that ... or if the child is ADHD and cannot sit still for that long (I have a nephew with this exact problem) ... then the solution is simple. Take the child up to the Lido to eat, even if that means mom and dad have to eat there too. That's the price you pay for bringing young children or an ADHD child on a cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, teachng a child that a gift will be forthcoming for good behavior is SO much better than allowing them to wind down from the day with a DVD player in a ship dining room (uh..and if that doesn't work, you won't complain about the noisy child, right? As long as the parents are doing their best).

If the child is young enough that it is understandable he/she would not be able to endure a two hour meal in the dining room, what's wrong with promising him a "reward" for exceptionally good behavior? Didn't your parents ever do that when you were young ... sit quietly in church and I'll buy you an ice cream cone?

I've heard of parents taking long car trips with their kids ... who have bribed the kids with a dollar for every hour there is no crying, yelling or fighting in the back seat. Problem is, though, that it's an all or nothing deal. One kid starts yelling or crying ... all the kids lose out on the dollar for that hour.

Teaches some great lessons in cooperation, if you ask me ... and responsibility. The older kids will quickly seek to entertain the young one at the first side of a tear. They know keeping the young one happy is the only way they'll get their dollars. Kids learn quick, huh? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Great example of parents who have no control over a 15 mo old and will have no control over the kid when he/she is 15 yrs old.

Look at it this way........The dining room neighbors have to put up with this kid for 7 days (evenings). The parents will have to put up with this kid for a lifetime.

Ok, I really didn't want to get in on this thread - having a 13 month old means that I'm probably somewhat biased...but...here goes. First, let me say that I would not allow my child to watch a DVD in the dining room - we are talking my son on a cruise next year (he will be 2) and we've already made plans on how we can avoid making him sit through dinner - for his sake and ours, as well as our fellow passengers.

The comment above is why its difficult being a parent these days...I sometimes think that parents with grown kids forget what it was like. Never have I felt so judged by others as I have the past year - when I'm not being told that I'm doing too little for my child, I'm being judged for doing too much.

First, the OP of the original thread was asking a question...that's it. Looking for feedback - and for the most part, I think she got it in that thread. Now suddenly the thread ends up here on the HAL board, simply to be ridiculed. Then we have posts like the one above...how in the world does a comment like that have any merit? I just don't understand how a parent trying to find ways to make a difficult situation easier on their child means that they "have no control" (especially when we are talking about a 15-month old).

What's being said is that because a 15-month old can't sit through an hour and half meal, she/he is therefore completely out of control and will become an out-of-control teenager and out-of-control adult. Pleeease...give me a break (and all the other parents out there). Most of us are just trying to do our best, and comments like the one above are just ignorant and spiteful.

There certainly is nothing wrong with commenting on or giving your opinion regarding DVD players in the dining room; however, feel free to keep the over-bearing judgements out of it.

I do understand why a parent might think a DVD player is the answer in the dining room with a 15 month old. There is the need to see that their child doesn't disturb the dining pleasure of others. To them this seems like the easiest, least labor-intensive way to keep the child quiet and occupied--without repeated interaction on their part so that THEY can enjoy dinner! (Not what I would do.)

Having said that, I would have preferred the DVD solution to the screeching kid in the dining room on the Statendam last July. :(

IHaving said that, I would have preferred the DVD solution to the screeching kid in the dining room on the Statendam last July. :(

I can see where that would be the lesser of two evils, but an even better choice would be to remove the child from the situation in the first place.

Did I read that right?

Rita, you say that parents with young children or with an ADHD child should not be on a cruise ship, or if they do decide to cruise, they should only eat in the lido? MY GOD, I didn't realise people like you were still in existence! No wonder you haven't got any children. You make out that ADHD is a parents choice and not an actual disability. I am absolutely horrified!

Maybe parents of children with Cerebal Palsy should be relegated as well, they might accidently throw an arm or leg out in the wrong direction! Hey, how about epilepsy? What if they had a fit in your 'everything has to be perfect' Dining Room! I am sorry but these people have paid just as much money for their cruise as you have, so why shouldn't they have access to all the dining rooms, it is not their fault that they have given birth to a child who is not quite perfect.

As for DVD players, I would not personally use one, but I do take colouring pens and paper into the dining room as a distraction. I cannot see the harm in the DVD players as long as earplugs are used. If I had a child with a neurological disability like autism, I would use one but I would also request a table to ourselves.

Wow! Have never encountered DVD players at dinner before! I can't believe that any parent would allow their children to bring a DVD to the dining room on a cruise. Especially if they were seated with other passengers! But, then again, maybe these are the same people who think nothing of engaging in long (loud) cell phone conversations in restaurants or at the movies. They either just don't get it, or they just don't care what you or I think! I was taught manners by my parents. I feel sorry for these young children because their role models ("parents") are certainly lacking.

Did I read that right?

Rita, you say that parents with young children or with an ADHD child should not be on a cruise ship, or if they do decide to cruise, they should only eat in the lido? MY GOD, I didn't realise people like you were still in existence! No wonder you haven't got any children. You make out that ADHD is a parents choice and not an actual disability. I am absolutely horrified!

You know, your post borders on rude. I said none of the things you attribute to me. What I did say was that if the child is either too young or ADHD ... and simply can't be persuaded to eat in the dining room without disturbing others ... then yes, the parents should take him/her to the Lido each night. Why should I, as another passenger wanting to enjoy my dining experience, have to listen to your child scream at the top of his lungs ... or be constantly getting up and down out of his seat to run around? If I wanted to put up with that, I'd skip the cruise and just go have dinner at the local Denny's.

I don't know when you took your last cruise, but dinner in the dining room is not a short affair ... and it can be rough on kids. Especially if the kitchen or waitstaff is stretched to the limit, enjoying a full dinner in the dining room can take up to 1.5 to 2 hours. That's a long time to expect a young child to sit still and not disturb others. It's an impossibly long time to expect an ADHD child to keep him/herself entertained. Obviously, if the child is not happy, the child is gonna "act out," and there is really very little the parents can do to prevent this, other than take the child for "time outs" ... walks around the ship ... get him out of the dining room for a bit. But, sometimes even that won't help ... and upon re-entering the child will begin screeching again ... or that ADHD child will begin acting out again.

So, what it comes down to is this. Either sit the child down and let him scream if there's no way around that ... and to heck with your fellow passengers; or simply don't put the child into a dining room situation at all by enjoying dinner as a family in the Lido every night.

Now, which option do you think would be most fair for all concerned? Maybe in some respects that DVD player or game boy isn't such a bad idea, huh?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived