Size of inside staterooms

ned70

I just returned from my first cruise onboard Sovereign of the Seas (4 night). I absolutely loved the experience. I am trying to find out how many square feet the comprise the inside statement. Although it was very small, there was still space for everything. I would like to compare the size to a ship like the Holland America Westerdam, which will be my next curise - just so I know what to expect and can advise my fellow tavelers. Does anyone know where I can get the room sizes on SOS - I couldn't find it on their website.

I usually get an inside cabin on the R and S style ships of HAL, but never have had one on the Vista Style ships, which is what the Westerdam is. I do hear that on the Main Deck of the Vista Style ships, category J inside cabins are much larger than the others, they seem to be more square. I sailed on the Zuiderdam and peeked in on some of the inside cabins on the Verandah deck, they were like closets, way smaller than the inside cabins is get on the R and S style ships. If you are getting an inside cabin on the Westerdam, I would highly suggest the category J on the Main Deck. I am sure someone on these boards can give you more insight than I, but that's what I have read from others here on the boards.

I post on another board where people often ask about cabin sizes, so I can tell you Sovereign inside cabins are 120 square feet. Most HAL inside cabins are 50% larger at 180 sqaure feet - however the Westerdam has a few small cabins called "standard" inside in MM, M, and L categories which would be around the size of the cabin you had. "Large" inside will be 180 square feet.

We have stayed in the smallest inside cabin on the Noordam - right up against the showroom. (Great if you want to go to sleep to the sounds of the second show...) Don't know the square footage, but it was doable but very small. There was barely enough room between the bed and the wall and I would go sideways to get to bed. When we woke up each morning we opened our virtual window - the bridge cam channel on TV!

Do Not believe the HAL website when it gives cabin square footage and Do Not believe the photo it shows. We were on the Oosterdam in category M. Website showed a great photo and gave square footage as between 183-215 square feet. This cabin was the tiniest cabin I have ever seen. There is NO WAY it was even close to the 183 square feet. Two people could barely be in the room at the same time unless one of them was in bed or in the bathroom. A letter to Seattle was of no use. The do not care if their website is false advertising.

We actually chose HAL for our cruise to Alaska next spring because of the size of the inside cabins. They are at least 30-50 sq. ft. larger than similarly priced cabins on other lines! ROCK ON Holland America!

We are "value cruisers" and have been in a lot of insides.

The Veendam, ryndam rooms are great--the Vista class are generally much smaller.

The inside rooms on Princess seem pretty small.

Just spent 15 day on the celebrity Constellation (same size as Vista CLass) and the inside rooms were the same size (large) as on veendam.

So If inside cabin size is a concern--there's 2 options that i know of--

Holland small ships or Celeb "millenium Class"

I just returned from my first cruise onboard Sovereign of the Seas (4 night). I absolutely loved the experience. I am trying to find out how many square feet the comprise the inside statement. Although it was very small, there was still space for everything. I would like to compare the size to a ship like the Holland America Westerdam, which will be my next curise - just so I know what to expect and can advise my fellow tavelers. Does anyone know where I can get the room sizes on SOS - I couldn't find it on their website.

HAL's web site lists Westerdam (Vista Class) inside cabins as ranging from 183 to 207 sft.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/stateroomHome.do?ship=we

RCI's SOS inside cabins average 119 sft. You can find that info here:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/RC/sovereign.htm

We have chosen Hal because of the size of the inside cabins. We were in one on the Norwegian Sea and was that one small. Since then we have been on two Hal and had an outside cabin (originally booked inside, but a good deal came up) and it was great. The second cruise on the Veendam was an inside cabin and it was great as well. Presently booked on the Statendam in an inside cabin, will report back in Dec.

Compared to S o S's cabin sizes, the ones on HAL will make you feel as if you got 2 for the price of 1.

I felt like I was sleeping in a broom closet on RCL; HAL's cabin was like a small guest room in a home with a large bed.

We had a small inside room on the Zaandam on the Promenade deck, and thought it was pretty big.

You'll have a great time on HAL. :)

We had a small inside room on the Zaandam on the Promenade deck, and thought it was pretty big.

:confused: Lower Promenade Deck, perhaps. There are no cabins on Promenade Deck on the S- or R- class ships.

We're also inside cruisers. RCI Splendour - superior interior at a 170 some-odd sf seemed a good size. NCL Majesty - bargain basement 102 sf. That was just funny. We're hardly ever in the room, but that was tight. We chose to keep the beds as twins as there would be no way to get around if they were together.

July 2007, we have an interior on the lower promenade of HAL Statendam. 181 sf, if we should believe them. I'm thinking easy access to a great big deck will be almost like having a balcony, lol.

I had an inside cabin on Statendam (Main, K548) and it was HUGE! Bigger than the outside cabins, and configured differently - better use of space.

Beach2seas, I stuck my nose in a lot of the Lower Prom inside cabins (figuring exactly like you about "balcony") and what I saw confirmed what the deck plans show - all are similar, all are generous, no surprises.

For inside cabins, on a Vista-class ship, either book a Category I cabin, or a J or K on Main Deck.

These are the ones that are 180-200 sq ft.

The others - the J and K cabins not on Main Deck, and all the categories L and below - are much smaller... Around 140 sq ft, I think.

Still not as tiny as the 120 sq ft SOVEREIGN-class cabins, but still quite small.

So it is worth choosing your inside cabin carefully on the Vistas. For a little bit more money you could get a lot more cabin.

Archived