Pinnacle Scenario-

NoNoNanette

I purchased dinner for the 2 of us at the Pinnacle for our cruise next weekend.

(Reserved it at the $20 per person rate).

After reading reviews, I'm considering not even visiting the grill.

I paid via credit card over the phone- no date has been chosen.

Question- if we choose NOT to go, will we receive credit on our shipboard account, or is the money "gone"?

Thanks. :)

Question- if we choose NOT to go, will we receive credit on our shipboard account, or is the money "gone"?

You may have to send a letter to Seattle and wait 4 to 5 weeks for the refund. That's what we had to do on the Westerdam when we couldn't use ours.

Susietb: we've tried the Pinnacle on the Westerdam and on the Noordam. Once it was fair and once it was poor. We've learned our lesson, and won't go back.

Nan, you and I are in the same boat (literally)...same ship, same date, same purchase, same dilemma. I read somewhere on these boards that the HM would issue a shipboard credit for the purchase. I'm just not sure what to do

We have 2 free certificates from our TA for dinner in the Pinnacle for our 12/3 Volendam cruise. We have enjoyed dinner there on all three cruises we have been on, but that was on the Vista ships. As far as the bad reviews recently, I really think it all depends on which ship you are on. I don't remember reading anything about the Volendam, but maybe I missed something. :confused:

Come on Nanette! Forget someone else's reviews (subjective, remember? Everyone's taste is different, right?) and go see for yourself! You might be pleasantly surprised:) Tell us all about it afterwards! You don't strike me as the type that doesn't find out for herself!

Hi, Just back from the Volendam on thanksgiving day.

We also prepaid at the old rate of $20 pp.

On our statement, the second item was a Pinnacle Grill credit of $40 dated the first day of the cruise. We did not eat at the Pinnacle until the 7th day of the cruise. A charge has yet to be posted but then again my cc is doen't have a charge yet so the final charge remains to be seen.

So I think it is just entered as a credit that you can spend how you like.

regarding going to the Pinnacle, it is very personal. Our experience was good (not great). Service was good and food was good. About the same as in the dining room. we do enjoy the nicer surroundings and finer crystal, silver, and glassware. also the change of venue in 10 days.

So I am just 50/50 on whether we would do it again. We had great food, service and tablemates in the dining room which is what makes it hard to strongly recommend the PG.

I'm certainly glad we did it and $20pp is nice price to give a try at.

seems like the votes are split

since I'm a registered Independent, I say make up your mind .. if you poll 100 people, chances are it will be very close to 50-50 whether Pinnacle was

worth the added price

you must have wanted to go or you wouldn't have already booked

my vote: go and enjoy:)

Recently on the Rotterdam our friends waited too long to make a reservation and were unable to get a suitable time for dinner. They too, had prepaid their reservations at only $20 pp. They simply called the front desk, told them they weren't going to be using their reservation and it was credited to their onboard account. Simple, no fuss, no muss.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Come on Nanette! Forget someone else's reviews (subjective, remember? Everyone's taste is different, right?) and go see for yourself! You might be pleasantly surprised:) Tell us all about it afterwards! You don't strike me as the type that doesn't find out for herself!

You're absolutely right, John. The voice of reason, as usual. ;)

I just announced to Dominic that my cop buddy said to "GO". Who are we to argue? We're going! You're a doll! :)

WaIt for the pictures.....Roy

Can't wait to view your pictures, baby! Do you already have them uploaded on an internet site? If so, would it be easier for you to just post a link? (Just a thought). We're LOVING your review. You're a doll, too! :)

Happy Saturday, gang!

Prior to my recent Volendam, my only Pinnacle experience was on the Zaandam 2 yrs. ago. I had lunch, and thought it was OK, but not memorable.

When I got to my cabin on the Volendam, I was surprised to find some goodies from my TA - 4 bottles of wine, and a certificate for a free photo and a free dinner in the PG.

I was sailing by myself, so I invited a single gentleman ;) that I met at the Singles and Solo lunch to accompany me. He, of course, had to pay his own way, but I provided the vino. :D

For appetizers, I ordered the Beefsteak Tomato Salad and he ordered the clam chowder. The tomato was pink and anemic, without much taste. Someone later told me it was supposed to be pink. :confused:

The ribeye I ordered medium was the best ribeye I've eaten. My friend ordered the small filet mignon, medium well. He said it was a bit tough, which I think was due to the way he ordered it cooked. But far be it from me to tell a man how to order a steak. I've been told the reason I've never been married is that I order men around. :rolleyes:

For sides, I ordered the creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms. He had the spinach and asparagus.

For dessert, we both ordered the chocolate volcano cake. I ate 3 spoonfuls, and thought I should find the priest so I could go to confession. The cake qualifies as a near occasion of sin.

We split the wine, and afterwards I had a gin martini. The only thing this dinner proved was that I can eat and drink a man under the table. :D

Would I do the PG again? Probably not. The ribeye was outstanding, but I don't know if it's worth $30. Overall, the service and food were almost on a par with the regular dining room.

If you're looking for advice, Nanette, I would say give it a try and form your own opinion.

Roz

I've been told the reason I've never been married is that I order men around. :rolleyes:

I'm laughing at this, Roz....

Here's the trick-

Let 'em think that they're the boss...then do what you want, anyway. ;)

(It works in this household, anyway) :)

My attitude is.....for $40 bucks try it....

Why not...at least you can say that you tried it and you may be surprised!..

If not...at least you can say say that you tried ...and thats whats life is about...

We have a try at the pinnacle compliments of our TA in January...

Sure, we didn't pay for, it but even if I didn't I would try it just to see what it was like....I sure won't go broke because of my decision..and in fact I may be very pleased....

Dave

Nanette:

Just to add a voice...I've been at the Pinnacle on 4 Vista cruises; I've never been disappointed in the cuisine, nor the service. I can heartily recommend trying the Wine Tasting Menu...yep, it costs even more MONEY (some people get really rattled by this!). Can you get a similar meal in the dining room? Nope.

Maybe it'll be a blowout. Maybe you'll have a wonderful evening. For me, it's worth the risk!!!

Good luck, and happy sailing!

Paul

who never hesitates to try the Pinnacle Grill on any HAL cruise....

Since you have already paid for it.....and got the price break.....I say to give it a try.

On our last cruise, we also made our reservations before we went at the $20/pp rate, and we ate at the Pinnacle twice....once for my birthday and then again toward the end of the cruise. On both occasions I ordered the crabcake appetizer and small filet mignon with mushrooms. I did alternate desserts.....creme brulee the first time and volcano cake the second.

The first time our meal was excellent....the second time it was good but not memorable. The only difference in the evenings we were there is that the first time we were the ONLY people in the restaurant for a solid hour before another couple arrived, and on our second time there were some other tables occupied....perhaps five or six.

On both occasions the service was the way I like it....attentive but not hovering. I can't say it was much better than the service we had in the dining room, but the setting is certainly more intimate with less hustle and bustle.

I now have a "been there, done that" attitude, and since the price has gone up to $30, they will not see our faces again for dinner unless we would happen to get a freebie. Maybe sometime we might try lunch. But it did make my birthday seem like a little more special occasion, and I'm glad we went.

Archived