Corking fee.......anybody experienced this lately?

jblair

Knowing that RCCL has the no alcohol to be brought on board policy, I have 'heard' that they still charge a $12 corking fee in the dining room? Has anyone had any first hand experience with this lately? We leave on the FOS on 1/7, and are planning on getting some wine in Miami to take on board with us. We typically bring a small empty suitcase along to bring our bottled water, diet coke, and wine with us. We've never had a problem in the past, but are curious if anyone else has had any problems recently.

Thanks and cheers!

Knowing that RCCL has the no alcohol to be brought on board policy, I have 'heard' that they still charge a $12 corking fee in the dining room? Has anyone had any first hand experience with this lately? We leave on the FOS on 1/7, and are planning on getting some wine in Miami to take on board with us. We typically bring a small empty suitcase along to bring our bottled water, diet coke, and wine with us. We've never had a problem in the past, but are curious if anyone else has had any problems recently.

Thanks and cheers!

We sailed on the Radiance last month and had ordered a few bottles of wine from Gifts and Gear that were waiting for us in the cabin. We asked our waiter one night if we could bring the wine into the dining room and he said it wouldn't be a problem......we brought it in and he didn't charge us a cent - one of our tablemates brought their bottle the next night and she wasn't charged either.

I think it's the luck of the draw with your waiter - I have heard of other passengers being charged the dreaded corkage fee, but we were lucky this time.

I think you are right, it is the luck of the draw. The last two cruises we went on (MOS) we were charged the corking fee of $12 plus tip each and every night. It would be great if they didn't charge us, we have just never seemed to get that lucky. Maybe this time around we will be.

We sailed on the Radiance last month and had ordered a few bottles of wine from Gifts and Gear that were waiting for us in the cabin. We asked our waiter one night if we could bring the wine into the dining room and he said it wouldn't be a problem......we brought it in and he didn't charge us a cent - one of our tablemates brought their bottle the next night and she wasn't charged either.

I think it's the luck of the draw with your waiter - I have heard of other passengers being charged the dreaded corkage fee, but we were lucky this time.

We were on the Voyager last month and friends had wine in their cabin from their TA (and purchased through RCI). They asked about bringing it to the dining room and paying a corkage fee and were told it wasn't allowed.:confused: Wish the rules/policies were the same from ship to ship.............or cruise to cruise.

NEVER had a problem ( or fee) bringing RCI cabin delivered wine to the dining room. In fact – when I have ordered wine for family members – I am often asked where I want it delivered – to cabin or dining room. Perhaps the server was confused with the question. RCI purchased wine can be taken anywhere in the ship for no fee.

We've been hit or miss with corkage but have had no problem when we are traveling alone and just bring a bottle every night or so. Generally –we open the wine ( and drink a glass) BEFORE entering the dining room. The staff has no idea if we have purchased the wine on board or not. We’ve have found that if traveling with several couples and try to bring in wine - we have most always been charged corkage.

We are traveling later this week and plan to bring wine aboard – I’ll let you know the outcome. I certainly don’t mind the corkage – I just want to able to enjoy the special bottles from our cellar– and not have it taken away.

Marci

I think you are right, it is the luck of the draw. The last two cruises we went on (MOS) we were charged the corking fee of $12 plus tip each and every night. It would be great if they didn't charge us, we have just never seemed to get that lucky. Maybe this time around we will be.
This is for wine from RCL left in your cabin? Shouldn't be charged. I would have walked out.

Well, we will try it and see what happens. Maybe if we bring it in already open they won't charge us. Even if they do, at least we will be enjoying a wine that we chose, and not one that we would just settle for.

Well, we will try it and see what happens. Maybe if we bring it in already open they won't charge us. Even if they do, at least we will be enjoying a wine that we chose, and not one that we would just settle for.

NEVER had a problem ( or fee) bringing RCI cabin delivered wine to the dining room. In fact – when I have ordered wine for family members – I am often asked where I want it delivered – to cabin or dining room. Perhaps the server was confused with the question. RCI purchased wine can be taken anywhere in the ship for no fee.

We are traveling later this week and plan to bring wine aboard – I’ll let you know the outcome. I certainly don’t mind the corkage – I just want to able to enjoy the special bottles from our cellar– and not have it taken away.

Marci

RCI purchased wine should be allowed anywhere on the ship but that doesn't seem to the case all the time and on all ships.

Enjoy your cruise.......................and your special bottle of wine......................and let us know the outcome.

We had a bottle of wine sent to us thru Gifts N Gear by our TA and when I asked about bringing it to dinner on the Mariner 11/26-12/3/06 cruise I was told that as long as it was sent by our TA, no corkage fee would apply. (I guess they would recognize the brand)

After we returned I saw a post saying that wine could no longer be brought from your cabin to the dining room. Only wine purchased while onboard could be used in the dining room. I don't remember which ship the poster was on, but it is supposed to be a change fleet-wide.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and if RCI is going to have the policies be the same on all ships. I also saw a post that the Gold, Silver and Platinimum or whatever wine packages were going to be done away with and that there would be just a package based on number of nights purchased. I would like to see if that is going to be consistent too.

When we were on Mariner we bought the most expensive, but it has mostly wine from the previous (lower priced) packages on it with a few additions. I wonder what the new one will be. Hopefully, there will be some better wines added.

Sorry to have run on and said more than you wanted to hear, lol.

Katie

I actually think that wine list looks better and less overpriced than I have seen it in the past. That's just a general impression - don't press me for details.

BIG NOTICE in the Cruise Compass: NO OPEN BOTTLES OF LIQUOR ALLOWED IN ANY PUBLIC SPACES ON THE SHIP AT ANY TIME.

interesting - what next!!!!

as quoted......BIG NOTICE in the Cruise Compass: NO OPEN BOTTLES OF LIQUOR ALLOWED IN ANY PUBLIC SPACES ON THE SHIP AT ANY TIME...

In our Dec 1 cruise ( just 4 weeks ago) - A bottle of wine was ordered and delivered to the couple next to us on deck. What – they can’t take it back to the room!

I don’t doubt that this is printed there but this is truly ridiculous. We’ve carried wine from the dining room back to our cabin on most of our past 23 cruises!

By the way – the compass also states that no shorts are permitted in the dining room for dinner and you know how that is enforced ( and please don’t turn this into a dress tread)

Marci

Is there a way to pull up the wine list?

Ok, to sum up:

Dinner #1 - Chops - carried in bottle of 'foreign' red wine. Drank half. No corkage fee.

Dinner #2 - Chops - finished bottle of red. Carried in bottle of 'foreign' white wine. No corkage fee. Daughter and I drank some of the white. Maurice insisted on personally delivered corked bottle to dining room, got our table number, is best friends with our waiter, and did as he promised.

Dinner #3 - Dining Room - finished white wine. No corkage fee.

Dinner #4 - Dining Room - carried in bottle of 'foreign' champagne. No corkage fee.

I brought home the complete wine list. After I unpack tomorrow, I will type the entire thing in here.

Ok, to sum up:

Dinner #1 - Chops - carried in bottle of 'foreign' red wine. Drank half. No corkage fee.

Dinner #2 - Chops - finished bottle of red. Carried in bottle of 'foreign' white wine. No corkage fee. Daughter and I drank some of the white. Maurice insisted on personally delivered corked bottle to dining room, got our table number, is best friends with our waiter, and did as he promised.

Dinner #3 - Dining Room - finished white wine. No corkage fee.

Dinner #4 - Dining Room - carried in bottle of 'foreign' champagne. No corkage fee.

I brought home the complete wine list. After I unpack tomorrow, I will type the entire thing in here.

You are so dear to take the time to give me this information. Actually, I found the list with pricing on line, so no need to worry about typing it all. I am going to try and take about 5 bottles with us, so we'll see. Maybe this time around we'll get lucky and not have to pay the corking fee. If not, such is life.

Take care!

Joanie :)

In June we took two bottles with us, and thought, no corkage fee, but on the last day, the waiter asked for our sea pass card to put on the corkage fee. he was almost apologetic about it. We were OK with it as well. I hope that this April I'll be able to do the same. I'd rather bring a great bottle of Chilean wine and pay a corkage, than pay RCI's high prices for a bottle I could get for 4 bucks in Denver.

Archived