does having plastic mugs/plates in the windjammer bother you ?

We are diehard RCI fans and have our next cruise booked for April on Navigator , you only have to look at my signature to see how many RCI ships we have been on. On our recent Red sea cruise I met a woman, a seasoned cruiser, who sailed for the first time with RCI on the westbound TA on Legend. She had many complaints about the lack of entertainment , dirty tables not cleared fast enough,the terrible weather but her biggest one was plastic mugs and plates in the Windjammer. I had never really thought about it too hard before other than on Celebrity the cups are too small! We Brits love our mugs of tea:D ;) . We were on an ex-Holland america ship in the Red sea and were enjoying our hot beverages with real crockery mugs on a saucer ! I hate to admit it but it did make a difference.

What do you think?

I have the same philosophy about this that I do about toddlers walking around on a moving ship: it's dangerous!

There are crowds of people moving around in the 'Jammer, juggling trays of food and beverages. The ship is moving much of the time, and if anything gets dropped, I'm glad it's not going to break and fly around on other people.

A cruise ship is not quite a hotel. For safety reasons it's best to keep the moving objects unbreakable.

We are diehard RCI fans and have our next cruise booked for April on Navigator , you only have to look at my signature to see how many RCI ships we have been on. On our recent Red sea cruise I met a woman, a seasoned cruiser, who sailed for the first time with RCI on the westbound TA on Legend. She had many complaints about the lack of entertainment , dirty tables not cleared fast enough,the terrible weather but her biggest one was plastic mugs and plates in the Windjammer. I had never really thought about it too hard before other than on Celebrity the cups are too small! We Brits love our mugs of tea:D ;) . We were on an ex-Holland america ship in the Red sea and were enjoying our hot beverages with real crockery mugs on a saucer ! I hate to admit it but it did make a difference.

What do you think?

I actually prefer the plastic to glass. As pcur said in her post, I would not want to be next to a plate, glass or mug when someone drops it.

Just imagine the cost to keep replacing all those items.

It also sounds to me like you were talking to a complainer. The added terrible weather complaint was of course all RCCL's fault too? :confused:

EDIT: I agree with rpita4, I also find the Windjammer workers very good at getting tables cleared for other people.

I don't mind the plastic because we have always found it very clean. We have never had a problem with dirty tables either. We are always impressed with the workers in the Windjammer!

Happy cruising everyone.

What I would love in the Windjammer are trays so that I can juggle my plate, napkin, cutlery, drink, etc. I like a seperate plate for my salad. Sure would make it easier but hey I go with the flow. And, plastic is fine with me as long as the food is real :D

I remember on our two X cruises a waiter took our trays at the end of the buffet line and helped us find a table. Wasn't totally necessary but sure was a nice touch. Just another way of being pampered :)

I actually prefer the plastic to glass. As pcur said in her post, I would not want to be next to a plate, glass or mug when someone drops it.

Just imagine the cost to keep replacing all those items.

It also sounds to me like you were talking to a complainer. The added terrible weather complaint was of course all RCCL's fault too? :confused:

EDIT: I agree with rpita4, I also find the Windjammer workers very good at getting tables cleared for other people.

Hi, Alexis!! Happy New Year!

I didn't even comment on the other complaints the OP's acquaintance had, but I agree.

The entertainment complaint is a puzzler, because we have always found the live entertainment (especially in the Centrum) to be above average on RCCL ships.

Table clearing is really easy to solve: find someone and ask them to clear the table!!

BonNYTX, I solved this problem by getting a plate (platter, really), putting a soup bowl on it and making my salad in that and then putting my other food on the plate. This was also good for me because I had less room on the plate to fill up with food. Good for portion control (for me).

They have plastic plates on Princess too...If anyone is not happy with the plastic there is always the option of room service or going to the dining room...I agree with emilygrace putting a bowl for salad on the plate (which is really a tray IMHO)...Cuts down on the amount of food consumed:D ...Later, Jill:cool:

I don't have a problem with plastic being used. I trust the dishwasher temps are correct.

I do like a ceramic mug for my coffee. For that reason, I bring my own.

I would like to see disposable cutlery when there are issues with sickness going on.

BonNYTX, I solved this problem by getting a plate (platter, really), putting a soup bowl on it and making my salad in that and then putting my other food on the plate. This was also good for me because I had less room on the plate to fill up with food. Good for portion control (for me).

Good idea however both DH and I eat huge salads to start our meal and hopefully curb our appetite for dessert. With the bowl in the center, we still will have the cutlery, drink, napkin problem. Ahhhh if life were only this simple. Portion control is great if I can learn to not get up for 2nds! In two weeks I will have this problem on the Rhapsody. You don't hear me complaining. :D

The whole concept of the buffet bothers me! I'd much rather have table service--I serve myself at home--when I pay this much for a vacation, I'd much rather be served! That's why we eat almost every meal in the dining room, or one of the other eating venues, instead of the Windjammer!

We usually stake out our table first, then DW gets her food while I wait. That way, we can bring salads, soups, etc back to the table and then go back for the main plate. (Also, she usually goes and fixes my salad for me, lazy ain't I?) By the time I finish my salad, she is back with main course and I go get mine. I eat faster than her, so we still finish about the same time.

Hypo

On Mariner, we did have a hard time finding a table, but it wasn't because the table wasn't cleaned, it was because we went when everyone else was there. In the Windjammer, I wouldn't want crockery because of the chances of it's breaking and shattering all over.

The dining room is open for breakfast every day, lunch on sea days so that is our choice. The dishes aren't plastic there. I agree that on Celebrity the dishes aren't plastic in the buffet, but they do have someone to take your plate and tray to your table. RCI doesn't use trays, hence the need for plastic.

Katie

We usually stake out our table first, then DW gets her food while I wait. That way, we can bring salads, soups, etc back to the table and then go back for the main plate. (Also, she usually goes and fixes my salad for me, lazy ain't I?) By the time I finish my salad, she is back with main course and I go get mine. I eat faster than her, so we still finish about the same time.

Hypo

Hypo are you ever sitting down eating the same time with your wife at all? :rolleyes: :p

On sea days we are usually up at the pool deck and it just is easier to have a quick bite all wet and messy in the jammer. And no, we usually don't go back to the pool so we take our belongings and let someone else have our chairs. :) No chair hogs here!

It never occurred to me that they'd have anything other than plastic in the Windjammer. It doesn't bother me at all... I guess everyone has their own "thing"...

I have to admit, that is something that never occurred to me to complain about. I use both types of plates at home, both get cleaned in the dishwasher, so it makes not difference to me. I agree it seems a safer thing to have on a ship.

Same here. Now that someone has mentioned it, I don't believe that I actually ever noticed that they were plastic plates. I did notice the plastic cups, and they don't keep the ice tea as cold...but I never thought about it. Plastic makes much more sense with everyone moving around with them.:)

Hi Peggy, thanks for your kind remarks. Happy New Year 2007!

Same here. Now that someone has mentioned it, I don't believe that I actually ever noticed that they were plastic plates. I did notice the plastic cups, and they don't keep the ice tea as cold...but I never thought about it. Plastic makes much more sense with everyone moving around with them.:)

I guess plastic allows one to bring them out to the pool...lots of people do that so I guess it's a small price to pay.

I personally hate any kind of plastic dishes (at home) but it's definitely a safety issue on a ship. I never thought twice about it in the Windjammer.

On NCL I was quite surprised that when they had their poolside grill lunch, they used ceramic/glass dishes and also served beer in bottles that could be taken to the pool. We also had a ceramic plate on our balcony that had some sandwiches on it from room service and the plate got knocked over and broke into a million pieces. It wasn't fun trying to get back into the cabin with bare feet, never mind the clean up!! I would have preferred plastic.

Any marine store (at least in NJ) with a good stock of boat supplies only sells plastic dinnerware, right down to the champagne glasses that you'd never know were plastic.!!

Paper plates and cups...another story..THAT would make me sick!!

(I bring my own isulated coffee mug)..and I do wonder why they use glasses in the cabin bathrooms instead of plastic or disposables?? I do prefer the glass but I think they are a safety hazard as well...

Happy New Year....Happy cruising!!

Pam

The plastic doesn't bother me at all...I realize it's a safety issue. However, I do wish the the glasses were larger. I always have to get at least 2 glasses of water instead of just one. Wait a second...can I call them "glasses" if they're made of plastic? :D

No problem with pladtic in the Windjammer. As others have said, safety is paramont.

I have a real problem with RCI allowing glass anywhere near the pool and pool deck. I was a lifeguard the summer after graduation from high school. There was no glass allowed anywhere near the pool. Much too dangerous.

I have a real problem with RCI allowing glass anywhere near the pool and pool deck. I was a lifeguard the summer after graduation from high school. There was no glass allowed anywhere near the pool. Much too dangerous.

You've got total agreement from another former lifeguard (high school and college). We were on Brilliance in December and there was a group every evening enjoying their drinks in glass glasses in the hot tub. It drove me insane. I guess you can't take the lifeguard out of the girl!

Archived