Free Internet For Platinum & Above - How Does It Work?

Phamer55

Hi all. I'm hoping to reach Platinum in 2008. How does the free internet work? Do you just swipe your room key and it's free? Are there restricted times when you get the free internet? This is a great perk that I'm really interested in!

It IS a great perk, and one that sets Princess's loyalty program apart from the others. It is the only reason that we are able to take longer cruises, as I have my own business and have to be in constant contact.

There are no limited times or time constaints. You simply swipe your card and sign out at the end of your session as usual. It will show you how much your session cost (at 50 cents per minute), and that charge will show up on your cabin statement, but is reversed out, generally overnight (this depends on the ship). Printing charges are also reversed out.

There are only 2 things to watch for: first, it does not apply to wireless connections, and also, if you use the internet late into the night on your final night on board, you will want to verify that those charges were also reversed.

Yes it's free 24/7 except for wireless.

You goto the internet cafe and swipe your room key and surf away. At the end of the session it will give you a summary of the charges but they will be automatically removed from your account each evening.

The free internet does not transfer to others in your cabin and you can only sign in on one computer at a time.

Overall I loved it as a perk. Also free printing for airport boarding passes or last minute port ideas.

Yes, you simply swipe your cruise card. It won't indicate that you are receiving free time, but when you get your bill at the end of the cruise you are credited the time used. I am just off the Crown and could use any time for as long as I liked and the credit was on our final bill. It's a nice perk.

On the Pacific & Tahitian Princesses, we swiped our cruise card a mentioned about. On the Regal, I had to go to the pursers desk to get a card with the ID and Password to key in. Non-elite/platinum had to pay for the card.

Also, on the Pacific, they took off all of my internet charges the last night.

Paul

Thanks for the info all. Yes, this is a great perk. I am looking at doing a 12 day cruise in Europe in 2008, and having free access to the internet would be great (need my baseball box scores!). Now I have to book a few short coastals before then to get to Platinum!

We used to swipe our cards, back when internet was 35 cents pm for non platinum/elite pax. Our last cruise this past Nov. on the Carribean Princess, the new more expensive system is in effect. The loyalty bonus still works the same way, where you are charged and then reversed on your acct. Now everyone signs on with a password and selects a plan. Choose the longest/most expensive plan. This will minimize the line item charges / reverses you see on your statement.

The price of internet got alot more expensive for non platinum/elite on Princess than before. Gotta love Princess's loyalty program. It makes up for some of the inconveniences of dealing with Princess.

Thanks for the info all. Yes, this is a great perk. I am looking at doing a 12 day cruise in Europe in 2008, and having free access to the internet would be great (need my baseball box scores!). Now I have to book a few short coastals before then to get to Platinum!

I think you will spend more on those coastals and the airfare than what you would on internet fees.

Those coastals are hard to link together because of the PSA, so you would probably have to ride one up and fly back to catch the next one if you are trying to do them as a lump.

I'm platinum after my 4th cruise! My new status shows on the Cruise Personalizer.

Free Internet here I come.

I am one who will benefit from this new plan as I always take 10-17 day cruises, longer when I will be able.

It's a good move by Princess. The passengers that took very long cruises were really at a disadvantage.

Yes, I do have to pay for one-way airfare for coastals. I think I'm using the free internet as an excuse to justify going on a couple of more cruises! I really just want to do the coastals to check out different ships that I've not been on. There's a 1-way Seattle to Vancouver on the Golden that I can take. After staying the night in a hotel in Vancouver, I can take the 2-day cruise on the Coral from Vancouver to San Francisco, where I live. I get to check out 2 different ships and get 2 cruise credits, and my only airfare is a 1-way to Seattle (which are fairly cheap on Southwest). I assume the night in a hotel in between (and going on 2 different ships) does not violate the PSA. Then I'd only be 1 cruise short of Platinum, so I'm thinking about doing the Coral 2-day coastal SF-Van in May of '08.

Yes, I do have to pay for one-way airfare for coastals. I think I'm using the free internet as an excuse to justify going on a couple of more cruises! I really just want to do the coastals to check out different ships that I've not been on. There's a 1-way Seattle to Vancouver on the Golden that I can take. After staying the night in a hotel in Vancouver, I can take the 2-day cruise on the Coral from Vancouver to San Francisco, where I live. I get to check out 2 different ships and get 2 cruise credits, and my only airfare is a 1-way to Seattle (which are fairly cheap on Southwest).

I'll buy that.... I agree it is a good way to get a taste of a new ship. Though about it myself to try out the Island or Coral which we have not been on..

I assume the night in a hotel in between (and going on 2 different ships) does not violate the PSA. Then I'd only be 1 cruise short of Platinum, so I'm thinking about doing the Coral 2-day coastal SF-Van in May of '08.

As long as you disembark and embark a different ship you should be ok.

Yes, I do have to pay for one-way airfare for coastals. I think I'm using the free internet as an excuse to justify going on a couple of more cruises! I really just want to do the coastals to check out different ships that I've not been on. There's a 1-way Seattle to Vancouver on the Golden that I can take. After staying the night in a hotel in Vancouver, I can take the 2-day cruise on the Coral from Vancouver to San Francisco, where I live. I get to check out 2 different ships and get 2 cruise credits, and my only airfare is a 1-way to Seattle (which are fairly cheap on Southwest). I assume the night in a hotel in between (and going on 2 different ships) does not violate the PSA. Then I'd only be 1 cruise short of Platinum, so I'm thinking about doing the Coral 2-day coastal SF-Van in May of '08.

My wife and I are doing the same trip. We too live in the Bay area. It's legal. It was the one-way flight to Seattle that hooked us. And each leg counts toward Platinum.

Princess recently changed their program - go to the site and check and make sure you are really eligible. The program is now based on the number of days cruised, not the number of cruises.

However, if you look at the Princess website, it has not yet been updated to reflect that.

Platinum now is for the 5th cruise or 50th day. Benefits begin after the 5th cruise or 50th day.

Princess recently changed their program - go to the site and check and make sure you are really eligible. The program is now based on the number of days cruised, not the number of cruises.

However, if you look at the Princess website, it has not yet been updated to reflect that.

Platinum now is for the 5th cruise or 50th day. Benefits begin after the 5th cruise or 50th day.

So 5 7-day cruises was going to get you to platnium when you booked the 6th cruise. Now that makes 35 days so I need another 15 days, so it would take 8 7-day cruises since 7 7-day cruises = 49 days. Just when I was looking forward to it, its out of reach for awhile again.

The new program is cruises OR days whichever you hit 1st.

If you complete 5 short coastal cruises you make Platnum OR you take 1 or 2 long cruises (50 days) you make it.

Same with Elite but it is 15 Cruises OR 150 Days.

Another change is with the Internet. Beginning April 1st 2007 it will be limited based on the length of cruise you are taking.

1-7 Days - $75 credit

8-20 Days - $100 credit

21 + Days - $200 credit

My understanding after being on the Sun Princess last month was that the new criterion for determining your status was an additional way to do so. People who had sailed on five cruises would still be platinum on their sixth cruise. It's just that people who had sailed on two 25-day cruises would now be platinum on their third cruise instead of having to wait.

Another change is with the Internet. Beginning April 1st 2007 it will be limited based on the length of cruise you are taking.

1-7 Days - $75 credit

8-20 Days - $100 credit

21 + Days - $200 credit

So the Platinum members will now be limited for the free internet? I just went in Oct. and it was .35 a minute and now I'm reading it has jumped to .50 a minute? Just doesn't sound as exciting anymore as it doesn't take long for e-mails to the family to get to 75 dollars at that rate.

I think $75 for a 7 Day cruise is reasonable.

My last cruise on the Diamond I spent quite a bit of time online with a "Live From" thread and let others use my card and didn't come up to that much.

Most of the time I was so busy with everything else there wasn't time for the internet. I am on the internet/computer all day for work so it was nice to escape from it while cruising.

I think $75 for a 7 Day cruise is reasonable.

My last cruise on the Diamond I spent quite a bit of time online with a "Live From" thread and let others use my card and didn't come up to that much.

Most of the time I was so busy with everything else there wasn't time for the internet. I am on the internet/computer all day for work so it was nice to escape from it while cruising.

Yes, I followed your "live from" thread since I will be going on her in 2 months and noticed you were really busy with activities over internet. But is it .50 a minute now? Basically, I just need to stay in touch with family members. I'll wait and do "live from" threads when they are free or shall we say now have some credit towards them.

Archived