Travel The World with Bill & Mary Ann HAL's Grand World Voyage 2007

WCB

When we went for our stroll this morning, Elizabeth, the cutest assistant cruise director, was handing out the Dam Dollars for the one mile walk. She laughed when Bill reached for the whole stack instead of the two bills! Just kidding..........

Ah, my favorite ACD on the entire line ... Elizabeth. What a sweetheart!:)

Keep it coming guys - I read your reports everyday!

Thank you so much for the enjoyable reading. I have bookmarked this thread so it is very easy for me to find each day to see if any new adventure has been added. My husband and I have been on a lot of cruises in our 17 married years, the longest being 19 days, with no hopes of our finances ever being able to cruise for 105 days, so I am living vicariously through your travels. :)

Thanks for your reports! I, also, will never make it to a World Cruise in person so this is great! Just a quick question: any idea what the nightly entertainment in the show lounge has been like?

Oh yes you will sweetie pie, believe it or not saints do get looked after in this world, as any phsyic ? :-)

Thanks for your ongoing reports!! I'm so glad that you were able to visit Easter Island. I was reading on your roll call about most ship don't make this port due to sea conditions.

Keep up the great reports, I'm taking my world cruise with your eyes!!

Report # 13 1-29-07 Monday and 1-30-07 Tuesday Two Days at Sea

1-29-07 Monday

Just a short one today to catch up on two lazy days at sea on our way towards Pitcairn Island. The biggest news of Monday was that the clocks finally rolled back one hour last night. This is great because it gives us an extra hour of much needed sleep. We are sure that the crew likes it even more!

The weather continues to be warm and slightly humid as we head due west. Many more passengers have discovered the back pool, and it is getting busier, since the pool water has warmed up to 82 degrees.

One bad thing is that some people are coming down with a 24 hour bug. We don't believe it is the Norwalk virus, just a stomach upset for a day or so. When they seek help for medication, these passengers have been quarantined in their cabins for 2 days. Our queen bee at our table, Shirley, from Florida (not NY), told us she had the virus on the QE2 last year. She was quarantined for 3 days , given medicine for free, and was checked on by telephone every hour. A special bland menu was delivered to her daily for ordering. After the three day confinement period, the ship's doctor visited her and released her. Then once she left her room, a cleaning crew spent 5 hours disinfecting her entire cabin. Quite an experience! We are all washing our hands frequently, and using the Purell often. Also, a new addition to the public bathrooms..........little towelettes of a hydrogen peroxide based disinfectant, that we use to wipe the door handle before leaving. We truely hope all these precautions work!!!

Two more presents appeared on the bed tonight.................dual time clocks, just like the ones we got in 2005. Very useful. And another good thing, the clocks went back again tonight. Good deal.

1-30-07 Tuesday

We have a funny observation on the early morning walking a mile for a Dam Dollar at 9 am. We usually start our walk around 8 am, and there are a handful of people with us. Now, at 8:59 am, all the doors open to the promenade deck, and out pour the people to collect the money! The assistant cruise director comes out the door near lifeboat # 6, and the people line up. We heard one elderly man ask for the dollar for his wife, who he said was just there. Oh really?? Anyway, they walk to the next door, and go back inside, never reaching that mile! It is just too funny!!

We're joining our 2005 tablemates tonight in the Pinnacle grill for dinner. Gloria and Ken and Hank will be there, but it sure would have been nice if Janice and Mike were there too!! We miss you guys!!

Bill & Mary Ann

One bad thing is that some people are coming down with a 24 hour bug. We don't believe it is the Norwalk virus, just a stomach upset for a day or so. When they seek help for medication, these passengers have been quarantined in their cabins for 2 days... Also, a new addition to the public bathrooms..........little towelettes of a hydrogen peroxide based disinfectant, that we use to wipe the door handle before leaving. We truely hope all these precautions work!!!

1-30-07 Tuesday

We have a funny observation on the early morning walking a mile for a Dam Dollar at 9 am. We usually start our walk around 8 am, and there are a handful of people with us. Now, at 8:59 am, all the doors open to the promenade deck, and out pour the people to collect the money! The assistant cruise director comes out the door near lifeboat # 6, and the people line up. We heard one elderly man ask for the dollar for his wife, who he said was just there. Oh really?? Anyway, they walk to the next door, and go back inside, never reaching that mile! It is just too funny!!

Bill & Mary Ann

Let's hope that the "bug" stays away from you guys. It doesn't sound as bad as the "crud" that was such a problem last year on Prinsendam, but a two day quarantine is not something you want to do I'm sure.

Cheaters on Amsterdam collecting unearned DAM Dollars? Oh my... I wouldn't have believed people could be so dishonest!.:eek: .. Hmmm wonder if it will work on our Maasdam cruise.... :D

We're on the 2008 World Voyage, our first. Would you tell us what cabin you're in? We like the idea of the concerige, laundry, etc. Anyone out there going 2008? Bill & Marry, how's the spa, and amenities?

I can't imagine any vacation I've taken where I remembered everything! I think I'm going to have to beg for your list before the 2008 cruise.

Thanks for the "we feel like we're there" posts. We wish Easter Island were on next year's itin, but I guess we'll have to combine it with a trip to Macchu Picchu.

BTW TwinOne, we'll add you to the 2008 list that we'll be posting next week.

Glad to have you aboard!

Cheaters on Amsterdam collecting unearned DAM Dollars? Oh my... I wouldn't have believed people could be so dishonest!.:eek: .. Hmmm wonder if it will work on our Maasdam cruise.... :D

LOL ... I wondered about this. When I was on the Amsterdam last January, I accumulated some Dam Dollars for the Amsterdam Survivor competition and a couple of other things I did. I think I had like ten by the end of the cruise. When I went down to redeem them, I found loads upon loads of people ... some of them quite elderly which would make you think that they could not possibly have done all these physical type activities. I'm talking walkers here. Anyway, all these people were in line and then had literally stacks of these Dam Dollars to redeem. They were walking away with sweatshirts, beach towels, etc. ... all the really good stuff requiring a high number of the "dollars." The woman I was waiting in line with ... who had a heck of a lot more Dam Dollars than I did ... and did just about every physical challenge onboard, including daily walks, etc. ... said she never saw most of those people during those daily activities. So, how the heck did they get all those "Dam dollars?" She then said that she figured they must have been handing them out gratis in the Neptune Lounge since most of these people were coming down from the Navigation Deck.

I got a chuckle out of it, though ... especially since it turned out that my measly amount of Dam Dollars wouldn't even get me a keychain. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL ... I wondered about this. When I was on the Amsterdam last January, I accumulated some Dam Dollars for the Amsterdam Survivor competition and a couple of other things I did. I think I had like ten by the end of the cruise. When I went down to redeem them, I found loads upon loads of people ... some of them quite elderly which would make you think that they could not possibly have done all these physical type activities. I'm talking walkers here. Anyway, all these people were in line and then had literally stacks of these Dam Dollars to redeem. They were walking away with sweatshirts, beach towels, etc. ... all the really good stuff requiring a high number of the "dollars." The woman I was waiting in line with ... who had a heck of a lot more Dam Dollars than I did ... and did just about every physical challenge onboard, including daily walks, etc. ... said she never saw most of those people during those daily activities. So, how the heck did they get all those "Dam dollars?" She then said that she figured they must have been handing them out gratis in the Neptune Lounge since most of these people were coming down from the Navigation Deck.

I got a chuckle out of it, though ... especially since it turned out that my measly amount of Dam Dollars wouldn't even get me a keychain. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We participate in all the events to receive the DAM dollars when we are onboard a HAL ship. They are a lot of fun and you get to meet many of your fellow passengers. I am the least athletic person but the sporting events are so easy. They remind me of games we used to play at birthday parties when we were kids... tossing a ring, bowling with plastic pins and balls, shooting a basketball, darts, bean bag toss. You get a dam $1 for showing up and if you win a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the event you get more. If you are on a cruise of 10 days or more, these dollars quickly add up if you go to all the events. Sometimes if you are in port, the staff gives you double dollars. Many people that participated walked with canes and walkers. Last fall my dh and I were on a 20 day btb New England cruise. We came home with sweatshirts for the winter and tshirts for the warmer weather along with water bottles and hats. We are looking forward to our upcoming cruise in March to see what goodies we can bring home.

Report # 14 1-31-07 Wednesday Scenic Cruising Pitcairn Island

On Tuesday evening, we had a wonderful dinner with Gloria, Ken and Hank in the Pinnacle Grill, all dressed in their finest! It was like old home week. And the food was delicious once again. Hope to meet there again during the trip.

The Amsterdam quietly slipped into Bounty Bay on the eastern side of Pitcairn Island, situated 1290 miles west of Easter Island. This isolated island is so small to have such a big reputation for the tale of the Mutiny on the Bounty saga. But what a beautiful paradise in which to hide the mutineers and their wives or girlfriends after abandoning the HMS Bounty back in 1789. Even though they striped, burned, and sunk the vessel in order to remain unnoticed, only one mutineer, John Adams, was alive by 1800. However, many descendants over the centuries still remain on the island today. And we had the pleasure of meeting one of them today, as we'll talk about later.

Since we couldn't visit the island, the Pitcairners came to us with all their treasures in an old motorized long boat........at least 48 of them. This was the bulk of their total population! They had to climb a rope ladder to get onboard, and not all of them were young either. There were four youngsters in the group, and all ages up to 80. Dozens of crates, bags, gunny sacks, ice chests, and old luggage full of souveniers were hauled out from under a huge tarp in the boat. About the same time they embarked, a sudden downpour came upon the ship, and the deck sale was moved to the lido pool area. In the precious minutes before the "deck sale", we had the chance to talk with one native lady who lived on this island for 20 years. She relayed some quicks facts to us. She told us that the power on the island was supplied by diesel generators, and ran only 10 hours a day. Most homes there had a back up power source. Their water supply is rain collected in man-made wells and 55 gallon drums buried in the soil. There are 9 families, all remotely related to each other, and they celebrate birthdays and holidays as one large group. When the children reach high school age, they are sent to New Zealand or Australia for further education. Most of them return only to visit. Pitcairn, along with three neighboring islands are the last remaining British overseas territories in the Pacific Ocean.

Now, to the deck sale. Several tables were set up around the Lido pool, where the Pitcairners attempted to display their items. When we viewed this scene from up above on deck nine, it looked like an agitated red ant's nest!! Picture a 2 for 1 sale at your local department store, only 10 times worse! It was a miracle.............suddenly some of the aged and infirmed came alive again, shoving and pushing the younger crowds out of the way to get to the post cards and t-shirt tables. No kidding!! Things for sale were hats, T-shirts, stamped postcards, simple shell jewelry, wood carvings, woven baskets, books, seashells, rocks, and paintings. There seemed to be plenty for all to buy, but obviously, some people did not realize this. Ever notice that some people just have to be FIRST? And to add to the madness, it was so hot and steamy in the pool area, everyone was melting from the heat!!

Here's our highlite of the morning. We purchased a cookbook from Irma Christian, an 80 year old descendant from Fletcher Christian of the HMS Bounty! She was proud as a peacock when we asked to take her picture. In her book, she described life on Pitcairn, where she was born and lived her entire life. Typical food here includes various fruits, vegetables, and citrus. Chicken, eggs, goat meat, and fish are served, but no fresh beef, unless it is canned or frozen. Supply ships come every two months, and they have 6 to 8 cruise ships stop here in January and February. A doctor from England stays on the island for 3 months, then is rotated back home when another doctor arrives. We heard by the grapevine, that their dentist was in jail, so our dentist, Buddy, did some much needed dentistry for a few fellows.

We bid farewell to the Pitcairners as they loaded their boat (much lighter now), and sailed away back to their paradise. We know for a fact, that they packed many, many dollars back with them! By noontime, the Amsterdam headed northwest for the island of Bora Bora, and Pitcairn Island became like a dot on the horizon within 10 minutes!

What a fun day!

Bill & Mary Ann

Bill and Maryann.

Thank you for your wonderful posts. I am sitting here in the cold Maryland weather with the rain and chill just outside my window, but I am snickering and laughing at your post about the 2 for 1 sale. This the most amazing voyage you have invited us to join. It's a miracle! Thanks for your thoughtfulness in allowing us to "come along".

I will patiently waiting for your next installment!

Helen

Bill and Mary Ann,

Some more history about the descendents of the Mutiny of the Bounty crew. Quite a few of them settled on Norfolk Island which is between New Zealand and Australia right out in the Pacific. They came to Norfolk around the mid 1800's and have lived there ever since.

Here is a small excerpt from the history of Norfolk.

"The Third period of occupation on Norfolk Island began when the descendants of the Bounty mutineers sailed from Pitcairn Island to settle on Norfolk Island. 194 people (40 men and 47 women, 54 boys and 53 girls) made this 3700 mile, five week journey to Norfolk Island; arriving on 8 June 1856.

Almost all these new settlers were descendants of the most famous naval mutiny in modern history - HMS Bounty. Given this, most of the new settlers carried names such as Adams, Buffett, Christian, Evans, McCoy, Nobbs, Quintal, and Young."

We are having a weeks holiday on this historic island in March and are looking forward to learning a lot more about its history.

Jennie