Travel The World with Bill & Mary Ann HAL's Grand World Voyage 2007

WCB

Report # 15 2-01-07 Thursday and 2-02-07 Friday Two Days at Sea

2-01-07 Thursday

We can't believe the month of January is gone already. Life onboard continues to be pleasant with partly cloudy skies, occassional light showers, and temperatures climbing towards the 80's. The seas have been slight as we sail into the northeasterly breezes. Couldn't be better, well maybe, if it wasn't so humid. Can't have everything!

A funny thing we forgot to mention is that every morning in the dining room, we enjoy eating breakfast with the sound of birds singing and chirping in the backround. Sounds like our menagerie at home has followed us!! All we miss are the roosters crowing!

The clocks have gone back 2 hours in the last few days. It is truly a gift, as opposed to sailing east, where you lose an hour every couple of days. We are now on Hawaii time......aloha!!

Through the grapevine, we have heard that the Amsterdam missed a few cargo shipments back in Lima. As a result, berries and some veggies are becoming scarce. Just as long as we don't run out of peanuts and cocktail napkins, we will survive!

Dutch Lunch took place in the Lido today. We sampled the little pancakes, and they were good. All the waiters were wearing the black Dutch caps, and they seem to enjoy dressing the part.

The ship's doctor and his wife joined our table this evening. He was "tight-lipped" when asked about the Amsterdam bug that has been spreading. We did learn a bit more about the quarantine law. The inflicted passengers sign a promise not to leave their staterooms for 24 hours. They receive a $150. shipboard credit if they comply. And, yes, they DO enforce it. Knock on wood, we're still OK.

2-02-07 Friday

Today's theme is Mutiny on the Bounty, with an invitation for all to dress as pirates tonight. All the games today had a buccaneer title, and the cruise director assistants were all dressed like pirates. Some passengers, including most of the kids, were running willy-nilly trying the find the hidden treasure during the Buccaneer Treasure Hunt at 2 pm. They must have hidden GOLD somewhere! The day's activities will end with a pirate passenger talent show at 10:15 pm. That should be amusing!!

And speaking of talent, here's the list of entertainers so far. Norm Crosby, the comedian from the Ed Sullivan days, was the most well-known star so far. Then came Dima Belinski, a pianist, Dana Daniels, a comedian/magician, and Jim Curry, a John Denver singer. Another magician, Mel Harvey performed, David Copperfield, not the one you think, did magic tricks, and Radim Zenkl played the mandolin and flutes. Morry Coleman strummed the banjo, UK's Darren Lynton sang, Ralph Heid played the xylophone, and Donny Ray Evins sang Nat King Cole melodies. There have been two productions shows by the Amsterdam singers and dancers. Since we have not attended these shows yet, our friends have reported that the entertainment has been good for the most part, and some not so great. Guess it's all in the eyes of the beholders!

Bill & Mary Ann

Many people that participated walked with canes and walkers. Last fall my dh and I were on a 20 day btb New England cruise. We came home with sweatshirts for the winter and tshirts for the warmer weather along with water bottles and hats. We are looking forward to our upcoming cruise in March to see what goodies we can bring home.

I'm only judging by what my friend told me ... and she did far more of the events than I did. I'm not complaining about my measly ten Dam Dollars ... that's all I earned, and that's all I got. But she had far more than I did ... and said she can't recall seeing most of those people who had even more Dam Dollars than she did ... at any of the events she participated in. It was her take on it that they were getting them gratis. I wouldn't be in a position to know either way.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Bill & Maryann,

You mentioned a bug being on the Amsterdam. I was on the Amsterdam from January 2 to 14. I got sick the night before we returned (Jan. 13) and I have been sick for almost 3 weeks since. I had a very bad cold and flu. I was really surprised that I got this sick because they were very good on the ship with the hand sanitizers, etc.

Bill and Mary Ann:

A question, please. In addition to having a ship's doctor with you on the cruise, is there also a dentist available to the passengers and crew? Thanks.

Karin

Obviously I'm not Bill or Mary Ann, but I do know the answer to the question.

Yes, there is a dentist aboard for this voyage. He and his wife have made this trip several times now (lucky, lucky people). She is sending reports back to a few friends and one of them is forwarding the reports to me.

I have sailed with them a few times, too. They are a lovely couple.

Thank you so much for sharing your trip. To the person that asked about a dentist-Bill & Mary Ann talked about the dentist on board taking care of some of the people from Pitcairn. How many children are onboard and what are their ages? What a great experience for these lucky children.

Thank you, Ruth and Candbgirl, for the info on the dentist; I just wondered, because there's another thread on this board debating whether HAL still has dentists on the longer voyages.

Also, on the blog that Orlin and Barbara are doing, Adventures in Cruising, they mention a family that is cruising with them on the Grand World Voyage, and even show a picture, but didn't say anything further about the children, nor their ages. If possible, I would be interested to know more about this family and how it's working out for them. Thanks, Bill and Mary Ann! I know your email connection is slow and unreliable, and that you can't always read and answer all the questions here.

Karin

Report #16 2-03-07 Saturday Bora Bora, French Polynesia

The ship sailed into Povai Bay of the island of Bora Bora early this morning. Words escape us in trying to describe the absolute beauty of this volcanic island and its surrounding lagoons. And it is because of these multi-colored lagoons, that we chose a snorkeling tour today.

These waters are some of the most beautiful in the world. Even though we have been here six times in the past, every visit is an adventure. Sharing the bay today was the Tahitian Princess, a former Renaissance ship, that sails Polynesia year round.

Our original tour was cancelled today, for reasons unknown, so we booked the shark and ray feeding tour at 8:30 am. We know it sounds crazy, considering the recent tragedy with the Crocodile Hunter, but we trust our native guides, and the semi-tame nature of the sharks and rays here.

Our group of 18 brave passengers tendered the short distance to shore, then walked 50 feet to the waiting motorized outrigger canoe. Looks like we are going to be blessed with partly cloudy skies, and maybe some sun, which makes for the best viewing of the coral and reef fish. The boat sped around the the smaller island of Toopuai, and dropped anchor when several stingrays were spotted. Actually, they spotted us and gave chase directly behind the boat! At least a dozen very large gray stingrays watched us as we descended the ladder from the small boat. Ooooh, we felt like shark bait!! While the guide asked us to hold onto the anchor's rope, he proceeded to bait the water. And to our instant surprise, six black-tipped lagoon sharks appeared from out of nowhere. They frantically devoured the fishbait no more than 15 feet away from us. We're talking 6 foot long sharks here folks! With our masks and snorkels on, we dipped below the surface and watched the feeding frenzy. As soon as the guide stopped baiting, the sharks were gone in a flash. Now, that made us more nervous, since we couldn't see them anywhere. Hopefully, they headed for another outrigger!

In the meantime, the stingrays wanted their share of the frozen fish. We moved to the other side of the boat, where the depth of the water was about 4 feet. As the guide started feeding the rays, they practically swam up our backs and chests looking for food. The rays lifted their heads out of the water just enough to look us straight in the eyes! So eerie! We petted them, yes petted them, and they semed to enjoy it. Holding a small piece of fish under the water, a ray would swim over our hand, and suck it up from our fingers. Thankfully, they have no teeth, and we were to keep our fingers!! Sure was exciting.

When the bait was gone, so were the stingrays. We continued to swim over the lagoon's multi-colored coral gardens. Hundreds of reef fish were feeding and swimming here. Just spectacular. All too soon, we had to board the boat, which wasn't exactly easy, but better than the boat we had a few years ago.

The last stop was at a deserted beach on Motu Tevairoa. Our guide said it belonged to his uncle, which is the same story we have heard from other guides in the past. A small hut-like house was almost hidden in the palm trees. Only a little female Queensland Heeler dog greeted us as we walked in the shallow water to the white sand beach. We took a walk along the shoreline, while most of the others headed for the shade of the palm trees. Our guide set a table with fresh pineapple slices, shredded coconut meat, and the best mini bananas we have tasted. It was a welcome treat, since it had become extremely warm in the sun. Thank goodness we remembered to bring our aqua shoes, because the sand was blistering hot, and full of sharp coral and tiny hermit crabs. As we snacked on the delicious fruit, the little dog begged bananas from us. She loved them! Then she followed us into the warm surf, and appeared to be searching for fish. Smart little puppy!

With our visit time over, we reboarded, and sped back to the pier at breakneck speed....like 0 to 100 mph! We jumped on a waiting tenderboat and headed back to the ship for a quick Lido lunch. Then we went back to town for our required souveniers....a T-shirt and a trinket. When we got to shore, the sky opened up and it poured BIG TIME! So, shopping in the reed-covered huts was our best option. All the jewelry was created from colorful seashells, and was not expensive, for the most part. We did find a pretty one right away. Hundreds of pareos, or cover ups, hung on lines along the walls, no two alike.

Running across the road, with one umbrella between us, we found the perfect T-shirt, then headed back to the tenderpier. By now the rain became torrential, flooding the roads. People waiting for their afternoon tours on Le Trucks, were not happy campers. We had hoped to take a leisurely walk through town, but not liked drowned rats! The rain continued off and on all afternoon, making us appreciate the perfect snorkeling conditions we had in the morning.

The Amsterdam hauled the anchors at 6 pm, and sailed southeast towards the nearby island of Tahiti. We should arrive there tomorrow around 7 am.

Bill & Mary Ann

PS We have heard some disturbing news about the Prinsendam on her circumnavigation cruise around South America. She was hit by two consecutive 60 foot waves, making her list 22 degrees. Some passenengers were injured and much of the kitchen and dining room crockery was destroyed.. We, here on the Amsterdam, wish them a safe continuing journey.

I just have to tell you I am enjoying your reports so very much. However, I also have to admit you are far braver than I would ever be - swimming with sharks so near ... I think I'd be running on top of the water, I'd be so frightened. I'm thinking of doing the feeding stingrays at Half Moon Cay and that's about the height of my bravado!

It certainly sounds like you're having a wonderful trip - keep up the good work.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I thought Bora Bora and Moorea were truly beautiful---much more so than Tahiti. I'll be interested in reading your thoughts.

Yes, the Prinsendam went through a bad storm. If you have the time and inclination to read it there is a "live from..." thread that gives all the gory details.

I thought Bora Bora and Moorea were truly beautiful---much more so than Tahiti. I'll be interested in reading your thoughts.

Yes, the Prinsendam went through a bad storm. If you have the time and inclination to read it there is a "live from..." thread that gives all the gory details.

Wow, it sounds like you're having so much fun. It sounds like you picked the right itinerary vs. South America. Does anyone on your cruise have golf clubs? Do people play golf on this cruise along the way? There are so many great golf courses I can't beleive someone wouldn't take advantage of them. I haven't seen any shore excursions on golf.

Report # 17 2-04-07 Sunday Papeete, Tahiti

The largest island of French Polynesia, Tahiti, is our port of call for today. The city of Papeete is the capital for all of French Polynesia. It is the primary center of government, commercial, financial, and tourism services. Compared to sleepy Bora Bora, Papeete is a bustling town with beautiful hotels, shopping centers, museums, and black pearl boutiques. And to be honest, everything is very expensive here. Their currency is based on the French franc, but Euros and US dollars are gladly accepted.

We could tell that it was going to be a scorcher today, while we watched the local Tahitian entertainers perform their welcome dance early on the pierside this morning. It was fun watching the passengers try to dance with the costumed performers. Our friend, Jordan, was the first one to be chosen. We took his picture while he tried to imitate the girl's dancing. What a kick! Later on, we surprised him two photos we had taken of him and his lady dancer, made from our handy printer we brought from home. He was thrilled!

Every tour that had been offered by the shore excursion department would have been a repeat for us. So we decided to take a leisurely walk instead. Another small cruise ship, the Van Gogh from the UK, was docked across from us. We're hoping that with two ships in port today, some of the stores will stay open, since today is Sunday. We have visited Papeete on Sunday in previous trips, and found the only thing open were their churches.

Our first stop was the tourist center located in the Place Vaiate, a well-manicured park setting. The center was well stocked with maps as well as tourist information. They even offered a variety of local fruits, buffet-style, inside the small building. An artisan market was conveniently outside the back door. They sold mostly seashell jewelry, some necklaces costing as much as 30,000 francs, or $300. US dollars! We found a conservative necklace to buy for far less.

Continuing on, we walked the boardwalk around the marina. At least there was a welcome breeze there. The day had become oppessively hot and humid, just as we had expected. The boardwalk ended at a beautiful small park, where local families were relaxing in the shade of the palms, while their kids swam off the walkway. Several ferries were running from here to nearby Moorea. If the ship had offered a tour there, that's where we would have gone. However, to take the chance of going there, not knowing if we could make it back in time for the ship's departure, was not an option for us.

We made our way back towards the food and craft market. This is a tourist's dream place. Even though many stalls were closed, enough were open to handle the crowd. Basketware, food, flowers, and jewelry were on the main floor. Upstairs, were dozens of stalls of clothing, more jewelry, assorted Tahitian souveniers, and a restaurant. We found another perfect Tahiti T-shirt there, of course. On our way out of the building, we stopped to buy some flowers, mostly ginger and bird of paradise.They were a mere $5 a bunch. Hope we are allowed to bring them onboard!

Back at the ship, we ate a quick light lunch, drank gallons of ice water and tea, then headed back to town. Right before leaving home, we had purchased an "instavase", which arrived flat as a pancake. When filled with hot water, the heavy plastic opens into a large vase. Since the vase was 19 inches tall, the flowers looked lost. That's why we went back to the market for more. Then a funny thing happened when we came back to our room. We had unknowingly brought back a few dozen ants with us in the first batch of flowers!! Oh boy, never thought about that?? Luckily, in a short time, we had them all gone. Our cabin steward is going to love us if we didn't!! Now we just hope that these flowers don't have the "no-see ums" bugs we've heard about. Big problems then!!

The ship was set to leave at 5 pm, but was delayed by an hour, due to a late tour bus. This worked out better, because we were treated to a beautiful Tahitian sunset on our way out of the harbor. It appeared that Moorea had been rainy all day. The black hovering clouds over the volcanic peaks made for the best sunset colors. Great way to end our visit.

One of our tablemates celebrated a birthday this evening. Barbie turned 39 again too. Ha-ha! Her friend, Susie, had set the table with "Barbie napkins and whistles", making for a fun party. We all felt like kids again.

Bill & Mary Ann

Well then, Ruth ... I think it's time for you to do the Hawaii/South Pacific itinerary with me in January 2008. It goes to both of those places, as well as lots of other beautiful ones.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well then, Ruth ... I think it's time for you to do the Hawaii/South Pacific itinerary with me in January 2008.

Sorry, Rita. No can do. January, 2008 is back to South America/Antarctica. Already booked it.

I really, really do prefer the cold of Antarctica to the heat/humidity of the South Pacific.

Icebergs rule! :D

Report # 18 2-05-07 Monday Day at Sea

The clocks went back again last night. We are now three hours before Pacific time, or the same time as Wellington, New Zealand.

The Amsterdam needs to cover 1242 nautical miles in the next two days to reach Pago Pago, Samoa, so the "pedal is to the metal"! It does help create a much appreciated breeze, since the themometer has been climbing every day.

Also, a new segment has started - Tahiti to Sydney. About 40 passengers left in Tahiti, and about the same amount came onboard. One new guest speaker is Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler. He will be giving lectures until Sydney, and we suspect that he will pack the house.

This evening our whole table plus 75 more CSI passengers were invited to the Pinnacle Grill restaurant for a special dinner. The menu was set with the choice of filet mignon or salmon entrees, mini appetizers, crab cakes, beefsteak tomatoes, clam chowder, and chocolate volcanoes for dessert. Red and white wine was poured so often, that our glasses never went dry. Ellen, one of our hosts, joined our table of 15. What a fun night!

A new entertainer, Marty Hill, played numerous wind instruments in the Queens Lounge this evening. We heard that his show was pretty good.

Oh boy, we got two more presents tonight.....wooden shoe horns. They are long enough to have a sword fight in our cabin! Just kidding!!

Bill & Mary Ann

Icebergs rule! :D

LOL ... I don't know where you live, but I'm getting all the frigid cold here in Philly that I could possibly ever want ... and at least here, I don't have to pay for it. :)

No, for me the blue skies and seas of the South Pacific rule! But, hey ... to each his own, right? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

One of the fun times for me on board is when the ship is going all out, full speed ahead. I would love being there with you racing across the Pacific.

Enjoy the sunshine. It has been down into the the teens here in the usually more balmy mid south.

Question, is there anything included in a world cruise that's not is a regular week cruise? ie. drinks, shore excursions, laundry, etc.....

Tips might be included if you book a certain category of cabin or above by a certain time. Airfare to the port and transfers can be included as well.

Your travel agent, depending upon whether you booked with an agency having a lot of people on the cruise, might host some cocktail parties onboard where drinks will be included. Of course, you can book the World Cruise with one of the luxury lines that includes liquor and soft drinks (as well as tips) in their base fare ... but then in that case, the base fare will be much, much higher than you will find on HAL.

Your travel agency may include a free shore excursion in each segment of the cruise for its clients.

You'll get a "bulk" rate for stuff like internet and laundry, but it won't be free.

There is no doubt ... the World Cruise requires a significant commitment to saving. It's not cheap. Not only is the cruise itself expensive, but some of the overnight shore excursions (almost a requirement if you want to see some areas and sites that the ship simply can't get you close to) could run into the thousands of dollars. Spending onboard too will add up. It has to. You are onboard for so long. So, you not only have to consider the base cost of the cruise, but then have to add in thousands of dollars of extra things that are not included in that base cost.

No question about it, the World Cruise can be quite expensive ... but it's an adventure that, at least in my opinion, should be on everyone's "must do" list at least once.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks once again for sharing all of this with us!!:D

I look forward to your posts daily and am always so glad to see them as I realize the realities of ship computer access.

Continued Calm Seas and further fun !!!

(won't mention sun, sounds like you have plenty of that!:eek: )