Denrus tours in St Petersburg

Shire

Hi

Denrus appear to be a company that many cruise passengers use, and which I have had recommended to me.

I note on their web site that some cruiselines have been inclined to make it awkward for people taking touirs such as Denrus tours, because they are obviously taking business from the ships tours. It suggests that ships may try to insist that their organised tours disembark first and that this suggests to me that as the queues to pass immigration can be quite long this can disrupt your Denrus tour.

Has anybody encountered such attitudes from Celebrity, and has anybody done the Denrus tours? Was immigration a problem?

We've cruised the Baltic twice on Celebrity, touring with Red October the first time and DenRus the second. Both tour companies are excellent and you'd do well to check the Baltic board on Cruise Critic to learn as much as you can prior to your trip.

Celebrity has a policy giving priority disembarkation to shore excursion passengers, and that policy is clearly stated in the dailies and at port lectures. However, both DenRus and Red October will tell you to ignore that policy and be at the gangway at 7am, at which time you will be allowed to disembark. That's exactly what we did both days we were in St. Petersburg on each trip and we had no problem getting off. I'm sure the lines at immigration do get long but we managed to be amongst the first passengers to disembark and waited only minutes each time.

Enjoy your cruise!

We used DenRus this past Aug. for St. Petersburg, while on the Century Baltic sailing. There was full cooperation from the ship. The Captain's club hostess arranged for our group to wait in a pre-arranged area and saw to it that we were off in pleanty of time for our scheduled tour. We mentioned the fear that many had regarding this at the Connection party. They went out of their way to help us and to ensure us that we would have a delightful time. There were a few guests that used other independant tour agencies and they too were treated the same way. DenRus gave us exactly what they promised and the food for the lunches that was included in the Value tour was fabulous. Just be sure to wear your most comfortable walking shoes, It was fast paced and we really did see so much in so little time. We took over 700 pictures and wished we had taken more film. It is a truely remarkable trip that we will remember for a lifetime.

We did the Baltic on Hal this past August. We were ready to do a Value Tour, but then joined a group with Red October. We, too, had heard all of the stories regarding a "troubled" disembarkation, but had no trouble at all. We, and others, assembled our groups by the gangway, and as soon as ship cleared, we walked off, met our guides, and were on our way. I do not think the ship really cares which company you go with, although the corporate office may. Our tour was fascinating for 2 days, and we received everything we were promised.

Celebrity has a policy giving priority disembarkation to shore excursion passengers, and that policy is clearly stated in the dailies and at port lectures. However, both DenRus and Red October will tell you to ignore that policy and be at the gangway at 7am, at which time you will be allowed to disembark. That's exactly what we did both days we were in St. Petersburg on each trip and we had no problem getting off. I'm sure the lines at immigration do get long but we managed to be amongst the first passengers to disembark and waited only minutes each time.

Enjoy your cruise!

We used DenRus last August, and followed the same pattern stated above. We did not go to where it said for non-ship-excursion passengers to meet; we went to the gangway. Although (Celebrity) personnel suggested we go and meet at the appointed place, I explained to them what I had been told. They seemed surprised that ship-based excursions would get off first, or that others would be delayed. They said that delay was caused by immigration officials, who would let them know when anyone could leave the ship. From intercom radios and comments among themselves, that we overheard, they indicated that a group who had gone to the meeting place were getting loud and impatient to be let off. As soon as the OK was received, they let us off with no problem whatsover. We waited in the DenRus (value tour) van until the correct number of passengers joined us. Some had been at the appointed place, and had no delays in getting to the gangway. If I had to do it again, I still think that I would follow the tour company's advice:).

Thanks for the advice folks.

Denrus seem to be fairly comprehensive in their costs, and I presume the charge includes entry fees to the various sites too? I see the ship excursions do include 2 entry fees on their day tour and whatever photograhy licences are needed.

I have to say that I have had so many holidays spoiled to some degree by having my eye to a camera lens that now we rarely take any pictures. We tend to buy a few postcards to take back. If friends and relatives want to see what they is, they can go themselves!!!

I am digesting the city guide books at present.

• 7 years later...

I will be cruising the Baltics with my Wife and will be in St. Petersburg in late May.

We have been recommended to use DENRUS for the 2-day excursion in St. Petersburg as they have smaller tour-groups and reasonable prices with excellent guides.

I see there is a thread running from 2007 about difficulties getting off ships (Celebrity) using "external" excursions like Denrus and I'm wondering if anyone has more recent experience of this especially using Denrus from a P&O ship in St. Petersburg?:confused: Thanks for any advice.

I will be cruising the Baltics with my Wife and will be in St. Petersburg in late May.

We have been recommended to use DENRUS for the 2-day excursion in St. Petersburg as they have smaller tour-groups and reasonable prices with excellent guides.

I see there is a thread running from 2007 about difficulties getting off ships (Celebrity) using "external" excursions like Denrus and I'm wondering if anyone has more recent experience of this especially using Denrus from a P&O ship in St. Petersburg?:confused: Thanks for any advice.

It might be worth putting this on the P & O forum rather than the Celebrity one.

No problems in 9/13, 15 minutes to get thru Russian immigration. Just go and have a great time, no cruise line is trying to ruin your vacation.

We were on P&O Arcadia last year in St Petersburg, didn't use Denrus but another company, SPB, and had no trouble getting off the ship. We went down to the exit area as soon as it was open and got straight off and through Russian immigration very quickly.

We cruised the Baltics on Celebrity last fall. Used Alla Tours for 3 ports. I thought their 2 day St Petersburg was outstanding. Their early entry into Hermitage made all the difference in the world in enjoying its splendor without herds of tourist. We also did an evening dinner show with them and it was worth it. Very good service. If you plan on going to Berlin on tour bus it is a long day on a bus. Your time in Berlin is maybe a little less then the time in transit. You do see the highlights of the city and get a sense of city but you are on the bus along time. I do believe there are some tours that go by train that cut down the transit time, but Alla didnt offer it. Of all the tours we did in the Baltic Alla was #1 in my book. Take a look at them they do offer multi city tour discounts.

We've cruised the Baltic twice on Celebrity, touring with Red October the first time and DenRus the second. Both tour companies are excellent and you'd do well to check the Baltic board on Cruise Critic to learn as much as you can prior to your trip.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were in St. Petersburg on the Eclipse in 2012. Our experience was the same as stated above - no problem getting off the ship to meet your private tour. We used SPb Tours for two days and they did an outstanding job. We saw much more than the ships tour and the cost was less. I highly recommend using any one of the highly rated private tour companies. Check out SPb for comparison to DenRus.

Here are a few photos from The Hermitage and other attractions in St. Petersburg. It is a fabulous city to tour!

Art Student at The Hermitage

ArtStudentatHermitage.jpg

Catherine's Palace

CatherinesPalace.jpg

Royal Chapel at The Peterhof

ImperialChapelPeterhof.jpg

Canal next to the Church on the Spilt Blood

StPetersburgCanal.jpg

Somewhat related information. I was on the Vision of the Seas last July and if I had to do it over I would book a private tour in St Petersburg over the ship's offering, in that case RCCL.

We had to wait almost two hours in the lounge while people with private tours went straight off the ship. It felt like a horrible waste of time. We did love the two day bus tour that we did but other that did private tours seem to have a much better experience.

Have no clue about P&O but the difficulties of 2007 on Celebrity no longer apply. They don't make any difficulties on Celebrity the last few years. Also there is a brand new cruise terminal since then. Can't comment on Denrus as the fashion has sort of changed as too which tour companies are most used. I used TJ Travel and they were excellent. Alla and SPB travel also seem to get great reviews. I sent the three companies emails and we went with TJ because they most met the requirements of what we desired. I suggest sending emails to at least three of the companies mentioned on the Northern Europe and Baltic board and picking the one that you like best from the replies. Also find out if there is a roll call for your sailing. You can get a lot of info from a roll call and possibly hook up with other CC members for tours if you like to share the cost.

I imagine that you waited for two hours in a room for your ship sponsored tour while tours independent of the ship went off first because your tour started two hours later than the independent tours. No ship's tour is going to wait for two hours to gather their people together before they begin the tour. Many of the ship tours are sold in two or three hour segments with people returning to the ship to meet and leave on another tour. For example, you book a tour to the Hermitage for 4 hours, then you return to the ship to meet up with your 3 hour tour to St Peter and Paul Fortress. Independent tours are all day affairs, usually from 8 AM until 6PM each day you are in port. If you are in port for two days, it is rare for a private company to offer you a one day tour. You can find one if you look hard among several of the private tour companies. These private companies will combine three or four if not more sights on each day of the tour. You only return to the ship at dinner time and then go back out on an independent or ship's tour at night if you wish. It is usually not possible to see as many of the sights using separate ship tours as you would going with one of the independent tour companies. You can not just walk off the ship in St Petersburg without a ship tour, an independent private operator's tour, or a Visa that was obtained before leaving the states.

St. Petersburg is too important of a place for me to not have a fantastic tour for two days. I want my own private tour with SPB, and I do not want to wait for others. This time I am treating my DH and myself to the best a private tour can offer. Yes, it is expensive, but this is very important to me and DH. Hope the weather cooperates. Sometimes you just have to go for the big one!:) :cool: They are taking care of everything, even though there is a big race on the weekend.

Edited by Lastdance

Somewhat related information. I was on the Vision of the Seas last July and if I had to do it over I would book a private tour in St Petersburg over the ship's offering, in that case RCCL.

We had to wait almost two hours in the lounge while people with private tours went straight off the ship. It felt like a horrible waste of time. We did love the two day bus tour that we did but other that did private tours seem to have a much better experience.

Welcome to Cruise Critic neotope! :) I imagine your tour had to wait because immigration was backed up, late showing up or other ships tours were leaving the ship. We have been on ship tours where we were asked to be in a certain lounge by a certain time, and then we waited, and waited, and waited. :rolleyes:

St. Petersburg is too important of a place for me to not have a fantastic tour for two days. I want my own private tour with SPB, and I do not want to wait for others. This time I am treating my DH and myself to the best a private tour can offer. Yes, it is expensive, but this is very important to me and DH. Hope the weather cooperates. Sometimes you just have to go for the big one!:) :cool: They are taking care of everything, even though there is a big race on the weekend.

Last year when we were in St Petersburg it happened tobe on their naval festival and the city was full of Russian ships and sailors. We were on Alla Tours and the tour guide and driver re-arranged the order of our tours to avoid the chaos brought on because of the festival. I cannot say enough about our experience with Alla Tours in St Peterdburg.