New liquor rules

SusieM

Has anyone actually had their wine or liquor confiscated?

I have always taken a few bottles to enjoy in my cabin, but don't want to have it taken away if Celebrity is cracking down.

My bill always seems to be at least half alcohol in the end anyway, so it's not like I don't enjoy the bars and wine with dinner.

Just asking anyone who has been the Century lately.

Never has happened to myself but if it did I would thank the person who went through my luggage to take my alcohol out because on a 14 night cruise for 2, in a sky suite he saved me at least $300 in tips and I would just buy a bottle at the first port and pour it in a water bottle and bring it on.

Thank you Celebrity for going through my luggage in an attempt to expand your profits and saving me money in the long run.

We brought wine on Century in November and paid the corkage. There was no problem in the cabin, main dining room, or Murano. The Sommelier at Murano actually told us that the wine we brought aboard was more special than anything on their list, a nice compliment for sure:).

We also picked up a bottle of Don Julio tequila in Cozumel and carried it onboard with no issue from security.

I just came off Infinity Valparaiso to Buenos Aires a week ago. At the embarkation terminal , they actually had wine booth right between check-in counter and security screen! Mnay people, us included , bought their wine within 50 ft. of the security check, and had no questions asked despite it's obvious we're taking wine aboard by the wine boxes we're carrying. Later on, two or three ports also had wine booths in the small building where we went through before boarding our tender, naturally a move sanctioned by Celebrity. Don't know if this applies to other countries.

you are allowed to bring two bottle of wine (not beer nor liquor) per stateroom. No need to smuggle the two bottles

I keep seeing this, but it doesn't comport with my cruise docs -- at least not where I can see. Since if you drink it in your room, there is no corkage fee, there's no problem? Since I am spending a pre-cruise night, I will bring small airplane bottles of hard stuff -- if they are confiscated, I won't be upset; I'll just explain that they were left over from my time in Miami.

SusieM,

Has anyone actually had their wine or liquor confiscated?

I have always taken a few bottles to enjoy in my cabin, but don't want to have it taken away if Celebrity is cracking down.

My bill always seems to be at least half alcohol in the end anyway, so it's not like I don't enjoy the bars and wine with dinner.

Just asking anyone who has been the Century lately.

I never brought booze from home on embarkation day, but I have bought spirits produced locally in various ports of call on several cruises. I always put the bags with the spirits though the scanner, and nobody has ever moved to take them from me.

Norm.

I keep seeing this, but it doesn't comport with my cruise docs -- at least not where I can see. Since if you drink it in your room, there is no corkage fee, there's no problem? Since I am spending a pre-cruise night, I will bring small airplane bottles of hard stuff -- if they are confiscated, I won't be upset; I'll just explain that they were left over from my time in Miami.

Celebrity just hasn't updated their cruise docs after the recent change to the alcohol policy to allow two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought aboard at embarkation. Here's a link to the official Guest Alcohol Policy:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Guest_Vacation_policy_021207.pdf

We had two bottles confiscated on the Mariner recently. I came back to the cabin and there was a form letter stating that any open bottles would be discarded and sealed bottles would be returned the last evening.

We didn't have a problem with that since that's the chance you take but we were upset because the bottles were taken by minibar personnel and to have found them meant that they had gone thru our personal things. :mad:

Sorry, I posted under my husband. Brigittetom

Hi Cruzn Tom/Brigittetom

I am curious are you saying that after you were in the cabin for a while that the mini bar attendent took your booze? As soon as I am on board I ask my cabin person to get the mini bar attendent to remove ALL of THEIR PRODUCTS out of the refrigerator. Once that has been completed then I put my wine or whatever in. The next time that person then has to be in my cabin is the next to last day to check or replenish the bar. One less person to be in my cabin.

We had two bottles confiscated on the Mariner recently. I came back to the cabin and there was a form letter stating that any open bottles would be discarded and sealed bottles would be returned the last evening.

We didn't have a problem with that since that's the chance you take but we were upset because the bottles were taken by minibar personnel and to have found them meant that they had gone thru our personal things. :mad:

FROM WHAT I CAN UNDERSTAND...regarding this incident...as you reported on the RCI board. You had your mini bar cleaned out...and then left your booze in the refridgerator and they confiscated it. This will be interesting to watch...to see if RCI/CELEBRITY is going to actually start entering cabins and confiscating personal belongings. I find this to be outrageous and simply profit driven. If this continues the pax will simply end up spending less onboard...which will defeat the intentions of RCI/X. I know if they do this to me that I will simply do my drinking onshore instead of onboard. We will see how this one develops.

On our Century cruise, 3 weeks ago, we brought 2 bottles of spirits in our luggage. My husband bought some beer in Jamaica also. The security said that he was not supposed to bring alcohol on board. Then he back tracked and said, "oh, it's only beer, go ahead". All these bottles were in plain view in our cabin and nothing was confiscated.

If you're saying that your cabin attendent actually went through your personal belongings & confiscated yout liquor, I hope that at the very least tipped accordingly.:mad:

....No liquor or bar glasses were left out. Our liquor was found in the cabinet (closed) above the safe.

I've always thought that if the cruise lines were SERIOUS about forbidding bringing liquor on board ships that they would instruct the cabin stewards to confiscate any found in the cabins. Not to open luggage, but to seize any that was out in the open or stored in unlocked cabinets. Apparently this is beginning to happen.

Brought 2 jugs of liquor on in my luggage, bought lots on shore in Caribbean and no problems. Liquor was out in the open in cabin. Security only seemed intered in boxes so I guess they didn't want to store single bottles. If any were ever taken from cabin I would not tip cabin attendant as it is his responsibility to safeguard the room. This policy stuff is only there to scare a few sheep who love to follow rules (unless it's proper dress or saving pool lounges). Seasoned travelers don't sweat it. They drink everywhere.

Celebrity just hasn't updated their cruise docs after the recent change to the alcohol policy to allow two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought aboard at embarkation. Here's a link to the official Guest Alcohol Policy:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Guest_Vacation_policy_021207.pdf

thanks so much

double post, sorry, but this site is giving fits; one waits forever for a post to go through and then I click again, and it goes twice.

I am appauld that any crew member would go through cabinets in search of liquor. I had a can of pop which I had purchased on ship to take back to my room confiscated from the fridge on a Celebrity cruise -- man was I ticked when I came back from an excursion, hot and sweaty, and wanted my can of pop. I have also never had any luck in asking that my fridge be emptied of their goods; I've been told they can't do that -- I always just take the little liquor bottles and set them on a shelf so I have room for things I wish to put in there, like an apple or a yogurt, not booze.

I am confused... if the mini-bar had been cleaned out already, what were the mini-bar stockers doing in your cabin? Seems like that is a waste of time, to me.

Could it be they were not aware that the mini-bar had been cleaned out, and were looking to see if maybe you stashed the contents in the closet? That seems reasonable.

But, I have never heard of this sort of thing before, on any cruise line. Generally, they leave your cabin alone unless there is some complaint from someone. I can see that if there were underage drinking or rowdy behavior and neighbors were getting annoyed, the staff would be very well advised to look for illegal booze and remove it to discourage additional problems. Not sure if that would apply in this case, but that is the only reason I can think of for booze removal.

It may be a word to the wise to leave the mini-bar alone, and do not try and use it for any other purpose than what it was intended for. In that case, the stockers would likely have just left the room, thinking all was well with the mini-bar stock.

It wasn't the cabin steward - it was the mini-bar stockers.

There are no lockable cabinets or closets. The safe is the only thing lockable, and that doesn't hold much.

Here's the thread on RCL boards - Link

There is one other thing lockable in your cabin - your luggage! Bring a lock for a bag, you can pack it until you get to the cabin, but then put any private things in the luggage, lock it, and put the key in the safe. I think that would take care of any snooping!

FWIW, I always packed plastic pint size and miniature bottles. You can get a surprising amount of those small bottles in the safe.

Went on a celebrity cruise last year (INFINITY), and my husband was determined to get the "goods" through. Put his liquor in a large Listerine bottle, and my Vodka in a large water bottle. These were put in our checked luggage. Got through security.... however if you read the new cruise vacation books (tickets) they say they will and can inspect mouthwash bottles, and water bottles!!!! We'll have to be careful on our upcoming Century cruise!:) ... Be CAREFUL!

salty dingo,

I am confused... if the mini-bar had been cleaned out already, what were the mini-bar stockers doing in your cabin? Seems like that is a waste of time, to me.

Could it be they were not aware that the mini-bar had been cleaned out, and were looking to see if maybe you stashed the contents in the closet? That seems reasonable.

By way of clarification, they don't empty the minibar. Rather, they lock the minibar after they restock it during turndown on the last evening because they need to process the charges to your shipboard account before you leave the ship.

Norm.

There are approx. 6000 pieces of luggage to be boarded and delivered to staterooms all in a matter of a few hours...... they can't be inspecting every bag for water bottles, etc. What a waste of manpower! And also a good way to annoy passengers and ensure they won't be returning clients.

Archived